Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7281219 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #16720 on: May 03, 2015, 03:18:19 PM »
TIL computer processors are particle accelerators

no doubt used with liquid and fan cooling plus a heat sink if even just to keep the tin and aluminum from melting.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16721 on: May 03, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Joshex, it's not how fast the electrons are moving through the system, they are always moving at high speeds(though you can influence that with different grades of copper).  It's how compact the systems are.  The smaller you make the various components the less travel time the electrons have.  But this also means more heat is generating in an increasingly smaller space.  This also eventually lead to using multiple processors as it was discovered it was easier to avoid overheating that way.

Less space to travel = less travel time = much higher speeds.  Miniaturization in a nutshell.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #16722 on: May 03, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
Joshex, it's not how fast the electrons are moving through the system, they are always moving at high speeds(though you can influence that with different grades of copper).  It's how compact the systems are.  The smaller you make the various components the less travel time the electrons have.  But this also means more heat is generating in an increasingly smaller space.  This also eventually lead to using multiple processors as it was discovered it was easier to avoid overheating that way.

Less space to travel = less travel time = much higher speeds.  Miniaturization in a nutshell.

yeah, but it also means you can't use each processor to it's fullest extent (so quoting high specs is kinda pointless on a phone). the goal was to do the same job as one processor with multiple to reduce heat as you said. So, what I said still stands; high graphic quality mobile game = overheat. or it will drain the battery too fast, or both.

either way it's a dead-end market without making the devices bigger. you can only miniaturize so far till you get circuit paths that bridge due to proximity.

"Hey guys lets go full speed down this really short dead-end street! nothing can go wrong with that!" - Apple

"We're running outta road! Quick!, switch to a bigger car!" - Microsoft

"you two are stupid, I'm not sure how long I'll put up with this, I have more important things to do on real systems with a real operating system, my mobile system is just for compliance of this new market." - Linux

"but mobile is liek teh gods! you totally have to embrace it!" - apple and microsoft before the crash.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #16723 on: May 03, 2015, 07:21:06 PM »
yeah, but it also means you can't use each processor to it's fullest extent (so quoting high specs is kinda pointless on a phone). the goal was to do the same job as one processor with multiple to reduce heat as you said. So, what I said still stands; high graphic quality mobile game = overheat. or it will drain the battery too fast, or both.

either way it's a dead-end market without making the devices bigger. you can only miniaturize so far till you get circuit paths that bridge due to proximity.

"Hey guys lets go full speed down this really short dead-end street! nothing can go wrong with that!" - Apple

"We're running outta road! Quick!, switch to a bigger car!" - Microsoft

"you two are stupid, I'm not sure how long I'll put up with this, I have more important things to do on real systems with a real operating system, my mobile system is just for compliance of this new market." - Linux

"but mobile is liek teh gods! you totally have to embrace it!" - apple and microsoft before the crash.

Right. That is why the desktop market is declining and mobile is in the hands of just about everybody. Your implausible scenario precludes so many potential advances.

I'll just name one: Inexpensive, room temperature superconductors.

Wait, I lied. Super efficient batteries.

Neither of those require new science just engineering.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #16724 on: May 03, 2015, 08:17:29 PM »

Right. That is why the desktop market is declining and mobile is in the hands of just about everybody. Your implausible scenario precludes so many potential advances.

I'll just name one: Inexpensive, room temperature superconductors.

Wait, I lied. Super efficient batteries.

Neither of those require new science just engineering.

that has to do with the marketing side of things, the world is going through a  development phase because people are tired trying to get jobs working for someone else because "someone else" doesn't need you! no matter how qualified you are.. people are out and about at school and trying to start their own businesses, doing the groundwork for a new product or service. naturally you can't lug a desktop with you, and laptops can hurt the shoulders when carried all day (I should know). so the market has gone mobile.

But as with all development phases, it will eventually come to an end; and people will get Home, or to an Office and they will want a more graphical gaming entertainment without the auto-correct typing feature that molests anything not in it's dictionary, something with a real keyboard or controller not a touch screen, they will want a more secure operating system with all the typical admin controls and no god-aweful splash screen. They will want surround sound and a bigger screen they can enjoy from a comfy chair.

When people get home, the mobile game boom will end.

And then all these companies pushing into the mobile game market will take losses if they don't pull out fast enough. Many have abandoned non-mobile frameworks entirely leaving themselves nothing to fall back on, for them the losses will be severe..

The computer game age will return, I promise you that. this mobile game thing is just a social fad engineered by monopolization leaving the masses to fend for themselves to make work rather than find it.

What do I mean saying monopolization? they say a healthy market is one that works together and is in sync. well, if it syncs too much and works together too closely you get a one track market. and that means everyone is moving towards the same goal, otherwise known as Cooperative monopoly.

Apogee

• Underling
« Reply #16725 on: May 03, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
OK I see a lot of talk about Mobile MMOs again having studied this myself with the intent of doing it, the outcome is this:

System Specs mean Nothing. Overheating and battery consumption are too big of enemies for mobile/tablet platforms, they just can't run complex programs for long periods. Unless you plug them in, take off their case and provide fan based and heat-sink based cooling (or liquid cooling) at which it is no long 'Mobile' because it's plugged in, and no those little prechargable USB powerpacks wouldn't suffice to run CoX or any other major MMO for even 2 hours a pop, combine with in device batteries you're looking at 3 maybe 4 hours a pop then you /HAVE/ to find an outlet. and no, it's not like other mobile games you can't just plug it in at 0 - 10 % and expect to play as soon as there's a tiny smidget of bar left, the consumption rate will be greater than the recharge rate.

But you wouldn't have to worry about any of that anyways, even with the case off and ventilation supplied the components are too close together and no ventilation is good enough! you'd have to separate them out over a medium sized motherboard but then it's a computer... if you don't do that and just keep it as a mobile system expect things to eventually melt with such heavy graphical calculations, basically you wont have a phone you'll have a hot gooey mess/ or a fire, electric shocks and a trip to the emergency room.

Electrons create heat, they create more heat the faster they move, the need to move faster to process powerful graphical programs because more electrons are needed to carry the data. it's physics.

Shall I get into the market data of the projected course of the mobile game market?

I dunno, I played ESO on my tablet (on battery) for about 3 hours, then plugged in and recharged while still playing, then unplugged for another 3 hours.  Sure I took a break or two while it was charging  (a man has got to eat) but my tablet chugged away without a problem.  To be fair though, it isn't an ordinary tablet.  Just saying the hardware and technology exists to make a serious gaming tablet.  The problem is there isn't a large enough customer base willing to shell out the coin to purchase one.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16726 on: May 03, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »
Ultimately, what we will play games on is a function of the market.  Specifically, the size of the desktop market vs the size of the tablet market vs the size of the phone market and, of course, the desire to play on each of them.  The simplistic games that used to only be on PCs are now on tablets and phones.  It's only a matter of time before someone will figure out how to get all those phones and tablets playing the advanced games.  The golden goose there is to get them into mainstream gaming.

While I agree with the poster who said the Enterprise's main computer is a lot more powerful than a combadge, the real question is can I somehow bridge them and use the combadge as an interface to all that power.  If I can then everyone will be gaming on combadges and using the Enterprise's computer as a gaming server as we use use PCs and mmo servers today.

All that being said, I really think the smartphone and tablet are already dying technologies.  Both will likely be beaten by implanted tech with its promise of a truly immersive experience.  When all 5 of our senses are fed, who would want to play on a PC, tablet or smartphone?  I don't believe we are too far off from implanted tech with high speed.  We do have implanted tech today, but it's slow and very limited.
No Surrender!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #16727 on: May 04, 2015, 12:15:31 AM »
Ultimately, what we will play games on is a function of the market.  Specifically, the size of the desktop market vs the size of the tablet market vs the size of the phone market and, of course, the desire to play on each of them.  The simplistic games that used to only be on PCs are now on tablets and phones.  It's only a matter of time before someone will figure out how to get all those phones and tablets playing the advanced games.  The golden goose there is to get them into mainstream gaming.

While I agree with the poster who said the Enterprise's main computer is a lot more powerful than a combadge, the real question is can I somehow bridge them and use the combadge as an interface to all that power.  If I can then everyone will be gaming on combadges and using the Enterprise's computer as a gaming server as we use use PCs and mmo servers today.

All that being said, I really think the smartphone and tablet are already dying technologies.  Both will likely be beaten by implanted tech with its promise of a truly immersive experience.  When all 5 of our senses are fed, who would want to play on a PC, tablet or smartphone?  I don't believe we are too far off from implanted tech with high speed.  We do have implanted tech today, but it's slow and very limited.

you don't want that, imagine the advertisements, quite literally in your head. imagine viruses, imagine the potential governments would have to make people believe anything. "today Obama was proclaimed god and rode on a unicorn which appeared out of thin air to prove it, anyone who says they can't see it is an evil devil and should be treated as such"

makes you wonder, is it the chip that makes you see and hear it or is it really there?

imagine the military applications, just numb all senses and tell people they are going to play call of duty, send them out to fight a real war. "wow it's so rea.." "dude meet you at the spawn point I'm so going ramb...."

you could even program a game to simulate real time warfare and spawn events strapped to real people, create the perfect army willing to hunt and kill innocent civilians without remorse even if they are family, cause they don't see people they see terrorists.

Brain lag is a funny thing too, the human brain thinks at a speed far greater than we can move, it would be far too easy to convince a gamer that it's been either an extremely long time or extremely short time since they started playing. so realistically a 'soldier' whose been in 'service' for 20 years could believe he's only been playing for 30 minutes.

but who am I kidding they'll never do that, it would cause too much opposition.. for one generation. then the next generation would treat it as something rebellious to do against their parents. wonderful things people are.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #16728 on: May 04, 2015, 06:34:08 AM »
Seriously? Who the hell wants to play an mmo with a 3d world and tons of actions and character abilities without a keyboard and mouse? How do you quickly and efficiently control all the abilities without being able to WASD and look around while fighting? You're pretty much stuck looking in one direction all the time! How about clicking or tab targeting npcs and items or pressing the 1 - 0 and numberpad for your abilities? Record your game with fraps? How do you make macros and binds? Use teamspeak, ventrilo or a voice server? Have a reasonable amount of screen space to chat and play.

That weird system dcuo has where they originally meant for it to be on the playstation; makes the control of most powers and abilities so freaking weird that they had to use a combo system just to make it work on both platforms.

I'll pass... I'm hoping one way developers wise up and realize that these are completely different fans and customers and to stop trying to change that.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16729 on: May 04, 2015, 07:29:28 AM »
you don't want that, imagine the advertisements, quite literally in your head. imagine viruses, imagine the potential governments would have to make people believe anything. "today Obama was proclaimed god and rode on a unicorn which appeared out of thin air to prove it, anyone who says they can't see it is an evil devil and should be treated as such"

makes you wonder, is it the chip that makes you see and hear it or is it really there?

imagine the military applications, just numb all senses and tell people they are going to play call of duty, send them out to fight a real war. "wow it's so rea.." "dude meet you at the spawn point I'm so going ramb...."

you could even program a game to simulate real time warfare and spawn events strapped to real people, create the perfect army willing to hunt and kill innocent civilians without remorse even if they are family, cause they don't see people they see terrorists.

Brain lag is a funny thing too, the human brain thinks at a speed far greater than we can move, it would be far too easy to convince a gamer that it's been either an extremely long time or extremely short time since they started playing. so realistically a 'soldier' whose been in 'service' for 20 years could believe he's only been playing for 30 minutes.

but who am I kidding they'll never do that, it would cause too much opposition.. for one generation. then the next generation would treat it as something rebellious to do against their parents. wonderful things people are.

First chips in the head and then one day full cyberization,  and cyborgs arise.

Of course while some think going cyborg would be cool, and in a sense it could be, I shudder to think of the maintenance and repair costs that one would incur.  Unless the govt. picks up the tab like they did with the Bionic Man, Bionic Woman and how Section 9 picks up the tab for the Major and others in Ghost in the Shell, of course.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16730 on: May 04, 2015, 08:17:46 AM »
First chips in the head and then one day full cyberization,  and cyborgs arise.

Of course while some think going cyborg would be cool, and in a sense it could be, I shudder to think of the maintenance and repair costs that one would incur.  Unless the govt. picks up the tab like they did with the Bionic Man, Bionic Woman and how Section 9 picks up the tab for the Major and others in Ghost in the Shell, of course.

Can always look at what happened in deus Ex: HR when plutocrates control the technology to try and slander every single augmented person while also creating the catch 22 of needing to be enhanced to get any jobs at all while making the cost of getting enhanced to high for the non enhanced.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #16731 on: May 04, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »
Can always look at what happened in deus Ex: HR when plutocrates control the technology to try and slander every single augmented person while also creating the catch 22 of needing to be enhanced to get any jobs at all while making the cost of getting enhanced to high for the non enhanced.

Hey, I just finished that game!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16732 on: May 04, 2015, 04:04:24 PM »
Hey, I just finished that game!

Great game eh?  I think the best part about it was how grounded it was.  I am glad they announced a new one, though surprised it's starring Adam Jenson again.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #16733 on: May 04, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
Assuming that augmentation actually becomes widespread, I think athletics will be a driving force against augmentation. You'll get an Olympics that isn't "fair," as rich nations have people that are augmented ("what do you mean, our archers can't have super vision??") and poor nations don't (or they resort to cheapsky illicit methods to augment their athletes); or you'll end up with a "split" Olympics, one for natural folks and one for augmented; or you'll have only a select group of rich folks who truly believe that their kid can make it through a few decades of rigorous training and the ostracism associated with being the only non-augment at their school in the hopes that they can compete in the still "natural only" Olympics.

Or you'll get two tiers of sports in general, augmented and not, and augmented athletes will be able to do more cool stuff, so there won't be any money left for natural sports, but everyone will be augmented anyways.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16734 on: May 04, 2015, 04:50:42 PM »
Great game eh?  I think the best part about it was how grounded it was.  I am glad they announced a new one, though surprised it's starring Adam Jenson again.

Last boss fight sucked, but the end was great. I always thought the end was a nolan chart. Who knew Adam was a libertarian according to the new trailer.xD

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16735 on: May 04, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Assuming that augmentation actually becomes widespread, I think athletics will be a driving force against augmentation. You'll get an Olympics that isn't "fair," as rich nations have people that are augmented ("what do you mean, our archers can't have super vision??") and poor nations don't (or they resort to cheapsky illicit methods to augment their athletes); or you'll end up with a "split" Olympics, one for natural folks and one for augmented; or you'll have only a select group of rich folks who truly believe that their kid can make it through a few decades of rigorous training and the ostracism associated with being the only non-augment at their school in the hopes that they can compete in the still "natural only" Olympics.

Or you'll get two tiers of sports in general, augmented and not, and augmented athletes will be able to do more cool stuff, so there won't be any money left for natural sports, but everyone will be augmented anyways.

In the deus ex world, in human revolution anyways, all the good jobs were exclusive to augmented people but they were also deliberately controlled such to make them outright unaffordable to any non-rich person through neuropozine, a drug that prevents the human body from rejecting the enhancements.  This was done by versalife, which, run by younger Deus Ex villain bob page, produced a deliberate shortage to drive prices to insanely high levels(actually very similarly they did the same to ambrosia in the original deus ex, which left the poor and destroyed middle class at the mercy of the genocide virus grey death as a means to blackmail governments and to wipe out gigantic portions of the human population who couldn't afford the only cure for it).

They then do some other things I am not sure I want to mention here.  Deus Ex: Mankind Divided the augmented people have become complete outcasts though due to the events of Human Revolution.  Honestly, what I wonder, is how will they factor our choices in HR into Mankind Divided, especially the ending.  It'd seem they decided on a canon ending but then one ending was an ending I never honestly chose due to my disgust with a certain character(not who you'd think if you didn't play through HR).

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16736 on: May 04, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »

I don't need implants for that.  Propaganda has been around forever.  Add certain drugs to the water to amplify the effect.

queue up, row, row row your boat.

I could see a super soldier built from it.  No need to train (other than basic training which is more about instilling obedience to authority) when I can install chip skills.  I can edit your tollarance for pain, weather conditions, etc.  Whatever is needed.  Those, of course, are military applications.  The commercial and industrial applications are enormous.  The para-military is also huge.  People fear having a fully sentient AI driving an android with a gun into a hostage situation for example.  Those same people will likely feel better about a robot run by the thoughts of a train officer.  The officer is in no danger.  The robot is expendable.  We already have something like it in military applications.  We call them drones but I see commercial and industrial applications as being bigger.

Some will do it.  Some won't.  Some won't want to but will when their unenhanced child starts losing all the scholarships to enhanced kids.  They'll do it.  Then the race will be on for enhancements.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:25:08 PM by LadyVamp »
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16737 on: May 04, 2015, 06:23:44 PM »
Seriously? Who the hell wants to play an mmo with a 3d world and tons of actions and character abilities without a keyboard and mouse? How do you quickly and efficiently control all the abilities without being able to WASD and look around while fighting?
Yes.  Seriously.

That is a question that has been echoed in many forms about many things throughout history.  DEC's ceo asked why would anyone want a computer in his/her home.  At the time, computers were big, heavy, slow, and not very fun to use.  Software sucked by today's standards.  Many computers of that era used tape as their primary means of storage.  And yet today, you are less likely to find a home without a computer than you are to find one without a bathroom.

I'm sure someone asked Henry Ford why would anyone buy a car.  Like wise asked Rudoff Diesel why would anyone want to use an internal combustion engine.  I'm sure the wright brothers were called out on their airplane.

As to your second question, I'm sure the person who is saying, "why not" is also thinking about how to do that.  I just don't have the answers as I'm not into building games nor am I interested in opening new markets in gaming.  Now automation of private clouds is up my alley.
No Surrender!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16738 on: May 04, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »
My view on cybernetics?  They have as much potential to be abused as they can be used beneficially.  Some people here already mentioned the "Idiot super soldier", or soldier who'd kill his own grandmother, mother, and children without a second thought or any realization what he'd done(like starcraft resocialized marines).  The total memory wipes, inhibition, self-awareness and self-preservation removal would be a standard for especially unethical individuals using such tech for their armies.

But then it could be used greatly to enhance and advance mankind.  Think about it, knowledge expanded drastically to a point of perfect awareness of things as they truely are in the blink of an eye from just one person sending the exact details to everyone to see.  Or the ability for everyone to be a mathematical genius ect.  Imagine the productive edge we could have if we could really utilize the technology for good things know?  Just the above statement is also a problem as with any technology.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16739 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »
My view on cybernetics?  They have as much potential to be abused as they can be used beneficially.  Some people here already mentioned the "Idiot super soldier", or soldier who'd kill his own grandmother, mother, and children without a second thought or any realization what he'd done(like starcraft resocialized marines).  The total memory wipes, inhibition, self-awareness and self-preservation removal would be a standard for especially unethical individuals using such tech for their armies.

But then it could be used greatly to enhance and advance mankind.  Think about it, knowledge expanded drastically to a point of perfect awareness of things as they truely are in the blink of an eye from just one person sending the exact details to everyone to see.  Or the ability for everyone to be a mathematical genius ect.  Imagine the productive edge we could have if we could really utilize the technology for good things know?  Just the above statement is also a problem as with any technology.

Sadly the abuse would likely outweigh the beneficial uses. 

As to your idea of data being sent from one to everyone.......that sounds like the first step to becoming Cybermen or the Borg.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!