Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272980 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17180 on: May 21, 2015, 11:43:47 PM »
Talk of secret servers makes me sad. :( I don't want a secret server, I want the game back!
So, you would be Pro Meta-human registration then?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17181 on: May 22, 2015, 12:00:21 AM »
Instead of putting all that work into a secret server, it'd be better to put it into a time machine, if only because it'd be hilarious if someone built a time machine just to play a video game.

Odimodus

• Minion
« Reply #17182 on: May 22, 2015, 12:24:21 AM »
You say that like it wouldn't be a valid reason.  ???

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17183 on: May 22, 2015, 01:22:57 AM »
Not at all, i think it'd be a tremendous reason. I'd do it myself if only someone could go back in time to somehow make me less lazy.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17184 on: May 22, 2015, 01:50:57 AM »
Indeed, I think CoX IS a time machine. That was what made it so comforting. It took us away from the present day, our worries and stress.

Please take me back to my safe and soothing little paradise city, where the grass was green and the girls had cat ears.

p.s. I detest Guns n' Roses.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #17185 on: May 22, 2015, 02:09:17 AM »
Normally, I would not post something like this, I would like to know what ya'll think. http://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/comments/36l22y/cox_private_servers/
I personally think this claim is rubbish.
People have been trying to troll the community with fake private servers since before the closedown. There was someone claiming he'd have a private server up by the beginning of December...

... wait for it ...

... 2012.  (badum-tish!)
Within a few weeks the gaps in his claims were torn apart to shreds and thanks to his carelessness, his real identity was exposed through the website he created for it. I understand it stopped when someone called up his home number and notified his father about the "activities" his teenaged son is engaging in and their possible consequences.
If such a server existed, the operators would be insane to mention it to anyone they were not 100% certain would not be leaking its existence on Reddit.  The only people hearing "rumors" about such a server would be the actual people playing on it, and no one else.  In effect, such a server would exist beyond an event horizon: whatever happened there would not be observable in the rest of the universe.
... I've seen how that works in practice.  One mention is nonindicative- if it was real then either a) we'd get the event horizon effect describe or b) there would be more than one mention of it - if you tell someone to not discuss something in public, they will, or at least mention it to a pal who will.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #17186 on: May 22, 2015, 02:12:09 AM »
Anyone else feel kinda sad at checking the forums every day for no new news? I kinda feel pathetic/desperate sometimes.

And, I'd rather not see the pirate bay option happen. Best option is community ownership of the game, or a new company ownership. I want legit status.

Pirate bay option is so ncsoft could never truly shut down the project when it was complete. Not to try and split everyone up but insurance for when they start hunting down server owners.

I really hope at this point someone is still working on score as the plan B; because putting all our efforts into buying the game would be stupid without something to fall back on should the purchase attempt fail.

Surelle

« Reply #17187 on: May 22, 2015, 03:21:57 AM »
Pirate bay option is so ncsoft could never truly shut down the project when it was complete. Not to try and split everyone up but insurance for when they start hunting down server owners.

I really hope at this point someone is still working on score as the plan B; because putting all our efforts into buying the game would be stupid without something to fall back on should the purchase attempt fail.

I really get the feeling SCoRE is still going, they're just keeping it under their hats to avoid trouble.   8)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17188 on: May 22, 2015, 03:45:44 AM »
I really get the feeling SCoRE is still going, they're just keeping it under their hats to avoid trouble.   8)

Maybe they have a secret private server up and running and actually know how to keep a secret...  :o
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17189 on: May 22, 2015, 04:00:14 AM »

The problem with the Pirate Bay option is that it would work, and you would probably escape serious legal consequences if you were smart enough.  The only thing you would have to be willing to do is throw the person who acquired the material in the first place under the bus, because he or she would not be quite so lucky.

Its easy to play the part of the martyr.  Its quite another thing to pull the trigger on the Samaritan with your own hand.

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17190 on: May 22, 2015, 04:06:54 AM »
I just want the community to roleplay with...
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Power Arc X

• Minion
« Reply #17191 on: May 22, 2015, 04:51:56 AM »
The Secret  Server is in The Secret  World  but no one  in the Secret  World  is allowed  to talk  about  it because  it's  a Secret.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17192 on: May 22, 2015, 04:54:40 AM »
I miss the freedom to make a power set combination, do well with it without worrying about being gimped due to a ludicrously rigid team mechanic thats outdated.  I miss seeing such combinations grow more and more advanced, witnessing that unstable equilibrium when you start curb-stomping things, as power increases as you actually earn it through learning the set and how to make it unstoppable.  I miss being able to further that with IOs.  I miss incarnate powers increasing the multiplier effect to get that "I am a creative and I am going to start ruling enemies even outnumbered 8 to 1!".

I miss the feeling of a super team multiplying it's strengths so much it melts +4 mobs.

But ultimately I miss the sheer variety of it.

From hard-hitting crowd crushing brutes to near untouchable chrono shifted killer robots instantly stacking extreme DoT due to incarnate powers.  From empaths who never have to heal cause the enemy was debuffed by attacks that they cannot hit any allies and godlike buffed teammates, to hyper damage capped scrappers backed by a max-recharge kineticist.

...All the way to Mind-linked buffed warworks ruining your friends day in a cut-throat cage match 10-15 times in only 5 minutes.....

I miss it all :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17193 on: May 22, 2015, 07:05:35 AM »
I never got the chance to try Darkness Affinity(too busy with all my other toons)is it any good?I'm looking at all the different builds and thinking I'll never take another break from the game when it gets back :).So many combo's I want to try,not min/max builds just so I can see how each play.
Darkness affinity was pretty sweet IIRC. I think it had two pets that were ghost-like wolves (BIG ones). Very fun sets the darkness ones.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #17194 on: May 22, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »
Have just been reading this article on Massively Overpowered http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/21/lineage-ii-starts-work-on-an-eu-classic-server/ and was thinking how many signatures do you think the CoH community could get if ever asked the same question or similar, something along these lines... "So would you like us to bring back Classic CoH as of i23?"

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17195 on: May 22, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »
Its easy to play the part of the martyr.  Its quite another thing to pull the trigger on the Samaritan with your own hand.

This. I couldn't imagine anyone that's involved in this alleged private server would want to potentially ruin a persons life just so that die hard fans can play a classic game. Which is why IF there is a existing private server those running it would be extremely cautious and I can't blame them at all. I miss the game just as much as anyone but even I agree that if this was a real scenario you couldn't just hand out access.

Anyways though if you guys are interested in old nexon games being purchased and re-opened I highly recommend looking into Dungeon Fighter Online. Shutdown in 2013 and is now in OBT as of this month, could have been last month though so don't quote me on that. It was however purchased by the original designers of the game which explains the speedy recovery. None the less, it happened, which sheds some light on the possibility of us getting CoH back. I gotta say it actually is a decent time killer to, although the graphics aren't what most people want these days, the combat system is extremely intricate, which makes for exciting PvE and excellent PvP. However the RP options would be limited I suppose as you're stuck with 11 or 12 classes that all have a static avatar.

Let's just all hope gaming patent laws change or that this deal goes through, with either happening this world would be much more enjoyable for all of us.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #17196 on: May 22, 2015, 01:45:49 PM »
Issue 25: Never Die Alone

Ahem, and Darkness Affinity was really good on a controller. It removed two powers that def/cor/mm got with better powers that seemed to be balanced against time manipulation. A white wolf-themed illusion dark was/is going to be one of my first toons when we/if we go back.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17197 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:30 PM »
Have just been reading this article on Massively Overpowered http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/21/lineage-ii-starts-work-on-an-eu-classic-server/ and was thinking how many signatures do you think the CoH community could get if ever asked the same question or similar, something along these lines... "So would you like us to bring back Classic CoH as of i23?"

Strange.  15k signatures and they get a classic server.  Try asking that question for CoH and we could bury that figure!

CoH had 100k players.  And probably a good dollop of them funded City of Titans kickstarter.  The CoH community has 3 'spiritual' successors.

CoH in i23 'classic' server mode would be printing money for them for NC Soft.  I'd be quite open to Cryptic taking it back and getting it up and running and putting a laser bullet in Champion's head.

I've seen many of the 'coming soon' TM MMOs for this year with their razzle dazzle graphics and 'cliche' play and I'm bemused.  As much so for the games like Lineage, WoW and others that still seem to get by while CoH is cocooned in the underworld of IP.

NC Soft.  Just ask the question. :P

Azrael.

"This. I couldn't imagine anyone that's involved in this alleged private server would want to potentially ruin a persons life just so that die hard fans can play a classic game. Which is why IF there is a existing private server those running it would be extremely cautious and I can't blame them at all. I miss the game just as much as anyone but even I agree that if this was a real scenario you couldn't just hand out access.

Anyways though if you guys are interested in old nexon games being purchased and re-opened I highly recommend looking into Dungeon Fighter Online. Shutdown in 2013 and is now in OBT as of this month, could have been last month though so don't quote me on that. It was however purchased by the original designers of the game which explains the speedy recovery. None the less, it happened, which sheds some light on the possibility of us getting CoH back..."

Hmm.  I wonder if Cryptic could purchase and re-open CoH.  I quite like the idea of Jack Emmert being our 'Martyr' and 'Samaritan.' 

After NCsoft solicited the Lineage II playerbase last month...

*Looks at NC Soft.

...and...

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/07/perfect-ten-ten-mmos-still-going-after-ten-years/

It should be CoH on that list.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:30:18 PM by Azrael »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17198 on: May 22, 2015, 03:26:41 PM »

Really? I get the feeling SCORE doesn't exist and you all just got trolled.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17199 on: May 22, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
The problem with the Pirate Bay option is that it would work, and you would probably escape serious legal consequences if you were smart enough.  The only thing you would have to be willing to do is throw the person who acquired the material in the first place under the bus, because he or she would not be quite so lucky.

Sure, but NCSoft would never be able to prove which former employee did it.