Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272388 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17220 on: May 22, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
I'll be honest, I want to do one, but I have no time. geometry is the hardest part and the spawn points may never be exactly the same in any finished servers.

At this point I think half the people waiting for City of Heroes to come back would play a version in which their character was a triangle sitting on a sphere, all of the enemies looked like squirrel emoji, and the only two powers were brawl and fulcrum shift.

A reverse engineered server project has to deal with everything to work with the existing game clients.  Its not exactly, but mostly an all or nothing thing.  But if I had the time and inclination to make a replacement game, I would not spend a lot of time trying to make it look like City of Heroes.  I would try to make it play like City of Heroes, then open it up to allow anyone to contribute art assets.  A working game can be made better by adding art and content.  A pile of art and content cannot be played.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17221 on: May 22, 2015, 08:19:26 PM »
Uh, Titan really does have a few people working on reverse engineering stuff. We can count them on one hand, though, and they have full-time jobs, so you'll have to forgive them if they can only put a few hours of work a week (sometimes no work at all) into the project. Don't be a jackass.

How is doubting the project is real, being a jackass?  I've seen no one saying they're from SCORE, no one saying how their progress is, no one saying WHAT they're actually doing, nothing. All I've seen, is a few folks speculating in an offhand fashion from time to time.  Until such time as something concrete is said, it's a non-entity.

That's not being a jackass (and I resent the accusation, especially from a mod), that's being realistic.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17222 on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »
How is doubting the project is real, being a jackass?  I've seen no one saying they're from SCORE, no one saying how their progress is, no one saying WHAT they're actually doing, nothing. All I've seen, is a few folks speculating in an offhand fashion from time to time.  Until such time as something concrete is said, it's a non-entity.

That's not being a jackass (and I resent the accusation, especially from a mod), that's being realistic.

I agree with FFM

How is being doubtful about something that we have been given 0 proof of being a jackass?  I get these people are doing it in their free time, and that they have to keep in under wraps but we don't know that.  For all we know it was abandoned months ago, possibly even years ago.

I don't agree that they were just trolling us, but we would be damn fools if you think we are gonna put our faith into a team that for all we know doesn't even exist.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:48:01 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17223 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »

I think Aggelakis was objecting more to the implication that the SCORE effort itself was a troll on the community.  What I read was an unrelated conjunction: that you feel SCORE doesn't exist and separately the rumor of a private server was a trolling attempt.  Aggelakis may have taken personally the idea that anyone who asserts the belief or the knowledge that a SCORE effort is on-going is a troll.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #17224 on: May 22, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »
I've seen no one saying they're from SCORE
Sorry, mate, but if that's the case then it's possible you have not been paying attention. There is at least one person who did mention it - he just didn't make a big deal of it at the time. Since the post seems to have either been edited or removed since then, I'm not going to go against the wishes of its author. It's not that hard to figure out, though.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #17225 on: May 22, 2015, 09:57:47 PM »
Sorry, mate, but if that's the case then it's possible you have not been paying attention. There is at least one person who did mention it - he just didn't make a big deal of it at the time. Since the post seems to have either been edited or removed since then, I'm not going to go against the wishes of its author. It's not that hard to figure out, though.
Wow, Fifth... I thought I was obsessively following every hint of SCoRE -- and have even been carefully avoiding so much as using the acronym -- but I never saw anybody acknowledging "membership".   

One of the few solid things I've ever heard about SCoRE was that one of their at-one-time-at-least-intentions/projects/speculations was a micro-scale one-box server emulator that would combine all the necessary server functions in a compact emulator that could run a small scale environment -- enabling play offline or running a small population of players.  Which would be a fantastic accomplishment.

I'm a little concerned at Titan officially and publicly confirming that a small number of Titan folks are working on reverse engineering.  If such an emulator "appears in the wild" they might become targets for draconian law enforcement attention.  But maybe I'm over-paranoid. 

I had always hoped that the IP purchase "deal" would enable SCoRE get legal cover for their work.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17226 on: May 22, 2015, 10:25:37 PM »
At this point I think half the people waiting for City of Heroes to come back would play a version in which their character was a triangle sitting on a sphere, all of the enemies looked like squirrel emoji, and the only two powers were brawl and fulcrum shift.

Don't be silly, no one would play that. Now if you included <Walk> it would be another story.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17227 on: May 22, 2015, 11:21:51 PM »
If only there was a security breach a few months before shut down and someone snagged the source possibly removing the liability from the developers seeing as it was NCsofts security at fault... I wonder if anyone ever did actually break in at -any- point.

Oh well though, I'll be over in the corner playing with my straight jacket if anyone needs me.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17228 on: May 22, 2015, 11:41:36 PM »
Don't be silly, no one would play that. Now if you included <Walk> it would be another story.

How would you know if a triangle sitting on a sphere was "walking?"  There's only the limb motions and toggle suppression, and spheres don't have limbs and neither brawl nor fulcrum shift are toggles.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17229 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:16 PM »
If only there was a security breach a few months before shut down and someone snagged the source possibly removing the liability from the developers seeing as it was NCsofts security at fault... I wonder if anyone ever did actually break in at -any- point.

Oh well though, I'll be over in the corner playing with my straight jacket if anyone needs me.

Consider another possibility.  Suppose NCSoft had either logs or other evidence that some developers did in fact access some of this stuff on or after the shutdown announcement but simply chose not to act because there's no evidence the stuff ever made it into the wild, so they were willing to look the other way.  Now suppose strong evidence suggests its out in the wild now, and whether they have absolute proof or not they decide to open more formal investigations into those employees.  And we caused that by attracting the attention in the first place.

Again: its easy to be, or at least claim you're willing to be a martyr.  Its another thing entirely to risk someone else in your place.  And there are no absolutes: nothing is certain to cause a problem, and no set of precautions are guaranteed not to cause problems for other people who may have nothing directly to do with your cause.  All I'm saying is that when the hammer falls, and it falls on someone else, we shouldn't pretend like that was impossible to foresee.  Its trivially easy to foresee.  All wars have collateral damage.  No one gets to opt out of responsibility for causing them.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #17230 on: May 22, 2015, 11:55:47 PM »

Please invite me to the CoTS/CoSE secret private server!
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #17231 on: May 23, 2015, 12:12:40 AM »
If.....If....Maybe....Perhaps.

Baseless Speculation.   If someone actually had a copy of CoH on a private server, evidence.....real evidence....irrefutable evidence....would have already surfaced.  Even if only three gamers had access to that private server...one of them wouldn't be able to keep their mouth shut.....especially for more than two years.

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17232 on: May 23, 2015, 12:21:28 AM »
How would you know if a triangle sitting on a sphere was "walking?"  There's only the limb motions and toggle suppression, and spheres don't have limbs and neither brawl nor fulcrum shift are toggles.

I'd say power slide, but I hated that sound that went with it *cringe*
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17233 on: May 23, 2015, 01:43:41 AM »
I'd say power slide, but I hated that sound that went with it *cringe*
I had a character that used Power slide when ever they went anywhere. Sidewalk Surfer, skateboard master extraordinaire.

"A moment of silence for those who can't skate." - Sidewalk Surfer
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17234 on: May 23, 2015, 02:00:06 AM »
Consider another possibility.  Suppose NCSoft had either logs or other evidence that some developers did in fact access some of this stuff on or after the shutdown announcement but simply chose not to act because there's no evidence the stuff ever made it into the wild, so they were willing to look the other way.  Now suppose strong evidence suggests its out in the wild now, and whether they have absolute proof or not they decide to open more formal investigations into those employees.  And we caused that by attracting the attention in the first place.

Again: its easy to be, or at least claim you're willing to be a martyr.  Its another thing entirely to risk someone else in your place.  And there are no absolutes: nothing is certain to cause a problem, and no set of precautions are guaranteed not to cause problems for other people who may have nothing directly to do with your cause.  All I'm saying is that when the hammer falls, and it falls on someone else, we shouldn't pretend like that was impossible to foresee.  Its trivially easy to foresee.  All wars have collateral damage.  No one gets to opt out of responsibility for causing them.

I don't disagree with you that someone shouldn't have to suffer major lose in order for us to play the game, but if someone were to suffer I'd be okay with the NCsoft security team being at fault. Like you said though the more obvious and likely possibility of a former developer snagging a copy of the source and sharing it with a few close friends is more probable and more problematic.

However with all the serious talk aside and your excellent counter point in mind, you're really bringing down my crazy conspirator vibe. If you would just look closely at this picture of a UFO found by a 75 year old man who can't pronounce his own name, you'd clearly see them playing CoH on their super advanced computers run by cow bones.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #17235 on: May 23, 2015, 02:28:48 AM »
I'm a little concerned at Titan officially and publicly confirming that a small number of Titan folks are working on reverse engineering.

We've never pretended that we weren't doing some reverse engineering. Icon didn't just magically manage to hit the right bits of the client through throwing darts at a printout of the executable, after all.

Whether or not those efforts are in any way connected to secret projects that may or may not exist or whether or not it's all part of an epic trolling conspiracy... that I can't speak to. All I can say is that we're working on something. It's probably not what you really want (though it might be for some people), but we still think it's pretty cool.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17236 on: May 23, 2015, 02:31:54 AM »
However with all the serious talk aside and your excellent counter point in mind, you're really bringing down my crazy conspirator vibe. If you would just look closely at this picture of a UFO found by a 75 year old man who can't pronounce his own name, you'd clearly see them playing CoH on their super advanced computers run by cow bones.

In fact we see evidence for City of Heroes being played centuries ago.  All over the world, the Mayans, the Inca, the Egyptians all built pyramid structures with significant geometric similarities.  Now historians will suggest that these structures all had different purposes suited to their respective cultures, but Ancient Superhero Theorists believe that these were all build specifically for the purpose of enacting the classic City of Villains tutorial mission "Breakout."  As further proof, many of these structures contain writing that refers to "the gods."  But who are these "gods" that the ancient texts refer to?  These "gods" or "superpowered beings" are all described as having fantastical powers and abilities, like the ability of flight, the ability to leap high into the sky, to disappear and reappear anywhere, and to cross vast distances in the blink of an eye.  Historians and cultural anthropologists would have us believe that its mere coincidence that this is identical to the four travel powers in City of Heroes, but Ancient Superhero Theorists believe that those described as "the gods" were merely ancient MMO subscribers who in the days before modern computers were forced by publishers to be granted superpowers to allow them to properly experience the game.

The game we know today as City of Heroes is really mankind rediscovering this lost knowledge that ancient peoples once possessed, before cancellation forced these megastructures to be abandoned and the superpowers to be lost.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #17237 on: May 23, 2015, 02:51:32 AM »

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17238 on: May 23, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »

Actually, SCoRE dates back to around the time of the shutdown, but was officially named back on Sep 17, 2013.  I should know, because I named it (and TonyV confirmed it).  See the following links:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9121.msg130681.html#msg130681

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9121.msg130384.html#msg130384

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9121.msg130385.html#msg130385

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #17239 on: May 23, 2015, 02:56:54 AM »
Okay, haven't commented on this in a while.  Been busy at work.

I give it about this much credence.

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!  It hit me on the head!
With a sasquatch!
Riding the Loch Ness Monster!
Eating chupacabra jerky!
In Area 51!
Fighting Grays!
Over a portal to Atlantis!
Run by the Illuminati!
For Hitler's clone!
Who lives at the center of the earth!