Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212715 times)

Soul Resonance

• Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #20640 on: November 30, 2015, 04:19:33 AM »
I tend not to take people seriously when they act so pessimistic about CoH, when they themselves play a complete piece of trash.

Let the rats feed on the trash, while those of us with class go about our day.
True, but it's present on these forums as well, which is also at the route of my anger :/
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20641 on: November 30, 2015, 04:35:47 AM »
I have waited for City of Heroes to return for three years.  I played it four years and three months.

I can wait a bit longer if I need to.  :)

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20642 on: November 30, 2015, 05:09:56 AM »
I tend not to take people seriously when they act so pessimistic about CoH, when they themselves play a complete piece of trash.

Let the rats feed on the trash, while those of us with class go about our day.
There isn't exactly great games right now..

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20643 on: November 30, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
I feel even if we managed to get the IP, that amassing a following large enough to sustain any planned projects would be the next biggest leap.

Too much time has passed, I believe most of the would-be paying audience has given up at this point.

The regulars here on the ol' titan forums are quite a few, and knowledgeable, but not enough to sustain a game.

I've heard from lots of former players declaring that if the game came back, they wouldn't hesitate to play it again. And to bring their families with them. You do not need the level of dedication required to stay active on this site discussing a dead game, in order to play it again if it goes live.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #20644 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:20 PM »
I know this is late in the thread but as far as. Speculations go, I go by this rule of thumb. If it doesn't come from someone directly involved. Then it's pure speculation.

As far as, the people saying CoH is dead. I tune them out and imagine what my first build is going to be. So far I've went threw many LOL! Lately I've been thinking about a Plant/fire/ something Dom. :P

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #20645 on: November 30, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »
I want news too, hell, I'd love some kinda info/positive reinforcement whenever I want it, but that's unfortunately not how deals work, especially one's not in America/Western style, such as this one.
Plus NCsoft is a Korean company, and I highly doubt NCsoft is going to roll over and do things in an American/Western style.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #20646 on: November 30, 2015, 03:58:15 PM »
I'm trying to remain positive.  So I look at the passing of each day as putting us ONE day closer to the finalization of an agreement. :D

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #20647 on: November 30, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
I'm trying to remain positive.  So I look at the passing of each day as putting us ONE day closer to the finalization of an agreement. :D
I second that! Being negative helps no one but being positive helps everyone! (Ima make that my signature)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:26:31 PM by Stitchified »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20648 on: November 30, 2015, 05:35:30 PM »
D
I second that! Being negative helps no one but being positive helps everyone! (Ima make that my signature)
Being HIV positive?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #20649 on: November 30, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »
That is a good way of thinking about it :)
As for the speculation, while it can be good for discussions. We have to remember that there are some people out there that would claim it was all true.
Just like Tubbius I played since late issue 6 to early issue 20, after playing a game that crashed and burned due to next to no development; I can wait a few more years if needed to once again play City of. :)

One day the Phoenix will rise again.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20650 on: November 30, 2015, 05:59:00 PM »
D

being positive or negative has absolutely no effect on the deal. it will happen or it wont. I hope it will and sooner than later. vo has not had a server for a month and a half, and seems to have stopped hyping. COT is off somewhere with lore updates( i prefer to learn the lore as I play it, but that is just me). I am looking forward for something to happen with one of these projects.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20651 on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »
I haven't been here in a while but yeah, positive hope for everyone.  To busy playing fallout 4 and also my desk is to small atm for my laptop, so I am having to for once juggle between gaming and facebook/titan forums instead of, well, checking both regularly.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #20652 on: November 30, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »
being positive or negative has absolutely no effect on the deal. it will happen or it wont. I hope it will and sooner than later. vo has not had a server for a month and a half, and seems to have stopped hyping. COT is off somewhere with lore updates( i prefer to learn the lore as I play it, but that is just me). I am looking forward for something to happen with one of these projects.

and project bane stalled for a while to finish up my degree handle the after degree travels and other events/interruptions. though I did get the physics fixed somewhat.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20653 on: November 30, 2015, 09:25:05 PM »
One character I miss most at this time of year is my AR/devices blaster. 

I'd have him suit up in the santa costume pieces,  have a bunch of tray buttons setup to deliver one liners from Duke Nukem and Futurama's Robot Santa.

Fun times. :)

I especially enjoyed using flame thrower or missile attacks with the tag line "Chestnuts roasting! I'm gonna open fire!"
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #20654 on: November 30, 2015, 11:44:30 PM »
being positive or negative has absolutely no effect on the deal. it will happen or it wont.
Sure, being positive or negative has no effect on the deal, but that still doesn't mean one isn't allowed to be positive even if shtako is hitting the fan!

That's like saying a Controller is meant only for Team play, sure Controllers are best when used with a Team, but that still doesn't mean a Controller isn't good when played Solo

(I just want to point out that I've never been good with analogies so don't be a judgie judger :P )

Stitchified

• Boss
« Reply #20655 on: December 01, 2015, 01:13:15 AM »
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108222064663200717194/posts/QutfqRDtF8q?pid=6223116863144978866&oid=108222064663200717194

Screenshot of me and a bunch of other people hanging out in front of City Hall in Atlas Park holding Torches up!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20656 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:20 AM »
More people showed up to.  Things like that get me out of fallout 4 even when I just discovered the ultimate item upgrade of the game.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

clpowell4278

• Underling
« Reply #20657 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59:09 AM »
I made it into that picture!!!  I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY!!!!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #20658 on: December 01, 2015, 05:55:48 AM »
Dang!  I missed the event! 
What was no more, is now reborn!

Draxion

• Underling
« Reply #20659 on: December 01, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
I absolutely adore CoX and I was as heartbroken as anybody when it shutdown.  I've also never given up hope that it might return in some form but I put more faith in Codewalker's efforts than I do anywhere else and here's why:

- People in this thread are constantly saying things like 'The CoX IP is basically worthless now so why don't NCSoft just either hand it over or sell it for a nominal fee...'
Unfortunately, the CoX IP is worth a fortune.  With all the goodwill the game still has and all the players who played it and enjoyed it over the years, a sequel would make a LOT of money.  If I was NCSoft I wouldn't sell it for anything less than $100 million.  You have to remember that NCSoft has shareholders who can wipe billions off their share price if they hear what they 'perceive' to be bad news.  A headline such as "Beloved, (i.e. highly valuable) IP sold for nominal fee to fans of the game" will make NCSoft look like morons.  Now I'm not saying they won't do it but we're basically hoping that the person who signs on the dotted line hasn't figured this out.  That's a slim hope considering they do know what they're doing and are highly successful at doing it.  I suspect that when Cryptic and others asked to buy the IP shortly after the shutdown announcement, NCSoft asked for a fee that would cover potential future earnings of a sequel.  If that's true then they're aware of how much it is worth even to this day.  With the success of Guild Wars 2 and the expense and subsequent flop of WildStar I wouldn't rule out an NCSoft sequel to CoX.

- Building on the above point is that part of the negotiations involve the spiritual successors getting the IP for their games so that they can claim to be a bona fide sequel.  This turns the above headline into one that is even worse because now it becomes "IP potentially worth millions given away to competitors."  From the value of Nexon's shares (recently sold) we know that a 15% drop in share price even in the short term would equate to half a billion dollars. Shareholders can be fickle and ruthless and NCSoft have to factor that in to these negotiations because they are a major stakeholder in everything they do.

- The other thing that strikes me is that regardless of City of Titan's origins and genuine desires to help the CoX community they are now a business with people's livelihoods and a lot of investment at stake.  Nate's last comment on the negotiations was this:

"That being said I've talked to a few people within NCSoft, and the general consensus is that we've avoided any trouble thanks to our approach (inspiration, not duplication). There is a group negotiating with them for the rights to the IP, but that has been slow going due to the ongoing Nexon drama I've been led to understand."

This quote was within the context of NCSoft letting them create a CoX inspired game.  In that context I read it to mean that they are trying to get permission to call CoT a sequel or use NPCs from CoX such as the Freedom Phalanx, Recluse, etc.  With all their time and investment in CoT it would be very brave of them to allow the resurrection of a game they are attempting to replace.  Again, I'm not saying they won't do it but it goes against good business sense.  At some point they have to draw the line and put their own staff/business first.  That being said if they do bring back CoX I would happily pay lots of money to CoT as a thank you even if I never played their game and I'm sure others would too.

I don't want people to read this and think I'm a pessimist, especially with the anniversary yesterday.  I just think it's important to appreciate that NCSoft aren't being unreasonable in all of this.  If I was in their position I wouldn't sell the IP for a nominal fee, especially to a competitor.

So what would make business sense?

Negotiating with NCSoft to have one of the spiritual successors branded CoX2 with NCSoft backing, i.e. Missing World's Media becoming an NCSoft studio similar to Paragon Studios back in the day.  MWM then get assured funding and NCSoft keep control of the IP.  If they let CoT get to the alpha testing stage and see what the game looks like they can assess whether they think it looks like becoming a success and then help launch the game without funding any of the development costs up to that stage.

This is pure conjecture but as a businessman this makes sense to me.  If I'm right, we won't hear anything until CoT and the other spiritual successors are much further along in their development and NCSoft can choose which to support.

What would happen to the original CoX then?  There's a lot of goodwill for whoever is brave enough to bring back the original whilst launching a sequel and supporting both in terms of moderators and servers.  Personally I'd risk it but I'd bring back the online shop with lots of worthwhile shinies for people to buy thus minimising any financial risk to the sequel.

Hopefully I haven't upset anyone with the above musings, they are just my opinion and I'd love to be proven wrong very soon!  My torch is still lit and I'm here for the longhaul.  In the meanwhile I'll be enjoying the ski chalet in Paragon Chat.