Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272397 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22520 on: February 07, 2016, 01:26:44 AM »
You're on the Internet, you've already lost.

but sometimes you lose so hard that it is a win?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22521 on: February 07, 2016, 02:10:22 AM »
but sometimes you lose so hard that it is a win?

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22522 on: February 07, 2016, 03:18:01 AM »

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22523 on: February 07, 2016, 03:18:01 PM »
CoH's 'ending' was lamentable.  But 8 years-ish was commendable for any game at the top of its field.

Cryptic / Paragon and the CoH community can take the credit for that.

Icon was a win.  Paragon Chat is a win.  A 'love letter' to the developers and CoH community.  (Passionate and clever stuff.)  I look forward to its progress with great interest. 

We can explore the city enjoy the charming sites and reassuring sounds.  Chat.  Use travel powers.  Use the elegant interface.  Enjoy the silky smooth animation of the avatar.  The sublime and legendary costume creator.

Costume contests and RPG'ing a bonus. 

And snow.  Was the city ever more romantic?

Azrael.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #22524 on: February 07, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »
*yawn*

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #22525 on: February 07, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
You think the game coming back saves you?  You didn't frequent the official forums much, did you?

My anemic post count (on this forum anyway) would substantiate your assertion, with the majority of them being in this specific thread.  I used to come here, and to the CoH forum only when I had specific questions, which they were always good about answering.  However, I look forward to a time when I can both play the game, and frequent this, and the official (reborn) CoH forum.  As I have gotten older, I have come to appreciate the behind the scenes community aspect of all of my interests.  I belong to two forums that revolve around light sabers, and I have a pretty heavy presence in both.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #22526 on: February 08, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »
I had a dream recently, can't be sure if it was last night or another, but somehow I had inside information about the game's return date and the server was going to be up for beta testing and those character files were going to be saved.

Oh yes now I remember, it was posted here on these forums during those usual hours of the day when the place is motionless, so it wasn't like I only had the information but the likelihood of being one of a few (including the poster) was very high.

at that time of the post which I happened to catch with-in a few minutes of the actual post time, the update server with the new client software was functional and accounts were allowed to be registered.

I remember downloading the updater and starting to download the game thinking in my troll mind how much I could get above others in the leveling curve in one day (as per the goal to get a Lv50 fully slotted with IO sets as part of the competition). my last thoughts in the dream were "what if I'm not the only one online right now and there are others who are lurking with faster internet! what if they are already playing! and what if I'm demanded by IRL to do things other than this before I can grind to 50!"

seriously when the game comes back I will spend 3 straight days grinding, no sleep no food and minimal toilet breaks. just afraid that my current placement wont allow that.

I also need to reconsider my starting AT, build and AE farms.  I can do a good farm-troller but in comparison to a melee unit I'm not sure I can accumulate the same xp/s. when competing in a leveling and slotting competition, each ounce of XP and inf and merits counts. my merit gaining method might not be possible on a troller at the same speeds. Obviously there's Hero/Villain Merits too.

sheesh I'm gonna have to plan and chart this out.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #22527 on: February 08, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »

seriously when the game comes back I will spend 3 straight days grinding, no sleep no food and minimal toilet breaks. just afraid that my current placement wont allow that.

I also need to reconsider my starting AT, build and AE farms.  I can do a good farm-troller but in comparison to a melee unit I'm not sure I can accumulate the same xp/s. when competing in a leveling and slotting competition, each ounce of XP and inf and merits counts. my merit gaining method might not be possible on a troller at the same speeds. Obviously there's Hero/Villain Merits too.

sheesh I'm gonna have to plan and chart this out.

I have no doubt that I will play a lot if this comes back, but unlike my younger self I look forward to slowly leveling up and enjoying the ride more. As much as I love IOing out a character, I miss the little things like PUGing FrostFire, old TFs, certain arcs, etc.

In a fun way I've actually developed an entire workout schedule/program around COH characters (self motivation at it's finest). One of my goals is to level them in CoH if it returns. Sort of like my inspiration from the digital world influences my real world which in tern influences the digital world again lol (CoHception maybe).

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #22528 on: February 08, 2016, 03:05:16 PM »
In a fun way I've actually developed an entire workout schedule/program around COH characters (self motivation at it's finest).

Do tell.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #22529 on: February 08, 2016, 04:58:46 PM »
Do tell.

High level it's an Excel workbook meant to give goals to hit over an 18 week period. My large goal here is to create a program that creates an actual lifestyle change.

There are 7 tabs total (I don't know how to post Pics directly):
http://imgur.com/a/3zsB8
  • Character - Looks like the in game character info screen, this is where all the scores are tallied
  • Body Type - Body type selector screen from character creator, this is where you enter weight, height, etc. It will calculate BMR and calorie goals
  • Enhancements - Power Enhancement Screen - check off an enhancement slot when you finish a day's workout
  • Patrol - Enter Steps - this is what calculates character endurance
  • Influence - Enter Calories Burned - Based on hitting certain goals it scales influence up
  • Incarnate - 5 major goals for the 18 week period (like hitting 15 straight pullups) - think challenging goals that show commitment
  • Task Force - Generates my workout for me, randomly assigns a task force name etc for fun; keeps me focused in gym

The workbook actually calculates everything for me, just pop in my steps, calories, and if check an enhancement if I worked out. To the best I could fine on Wiki's ect, I made the xp per level, max influence, max health and end, as the game. The goal is to do 72 workouts over 18 weeks to hit level 50. Off the top of my head it's 95 total to get max Health (max tanker health in game).

For fun my brother and I are meant to do this together and compare scores at week's end. Because it calculates calories needed based on widely accepted formulas, it is fair and matches our fitness trackers (FitBit for me).

Baaleos

• Boss
« Reply #22530 on: February 08, 2016, 05:32:19 PM »
High level it's an Excel workbook meant to give goals to hit over an 18 week period. My large goal here is to create a program that creates an actual lifestyle change.

There are 7 tabs total (I don't know how to post Pics directly):
http://imgur.com/a/3zsB8
  • Character - Looks like the in game character info screen, this is where all the scores are tallied
  • Body Type - Body type selector screen from character creator, this is where you enter weight, height, etc. It will calculate BMR and calorie goals
  • Enhancements - Power Enhancement Screen - check off an enhancement slot when you finish a day's workout
  • Patrol - Enter Steps - this is what calculates character endurance
  • Influence - Enter Calories Burned - Based on hitting certain goals it scales influence up
  • Incarnate - 5 major goals for the 18 week period (like hitting 15 straight pullups) - think challenging goals that show commitment
  • Task Force - Generates my workout for me, randomly assigns a task force name etc for fun; keeps me focused in gym

The workbook actually calculates everything for me, just pop in my steps, calories, and if check an enhancement if I worked out. To the best I could fine on Wiki's ect, I made the xp per level, max influence, max health and end, as the game. The goal is to do 72 workouts over 18 weeks to hit level 50. Off the top of my head it's 95 total to get max Health (max tanker health in game).

For fun my brother and I are meant to do this together and compare scores at week's end. Because it calculates calories needed based on widely accepted formulas, it is fair and matches our fitness trackers (FitBit for me).

But you forgot Archtype and Powersets!!

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #22531 on: February 08, 2016, 05:45:24 PM »
But you forgot Archtype and Powersets!!

;) You get the joy of picking that in the character creator (I use Paragon Chat) - maybe ignore that all enhancements are flight as well for the most part. I had to stop developing at some point and start working out lol.

Can't say it's perfect, but it's a fun way to stay motivated to work out.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22532 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:31 PM »
Sounds fun....can I get a PL?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22533 on: February 08, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »
I remember downloading the updater and starting to download the game thinking in my troll mind how much I could get above others in the leveling curve in one day (as per the goal to get a Lv50 fully slotted with IO sets as part of the competition). my last thoughts in the dream were "what if I'm not the only one online right now and there are others who are lurking with faster internet! what if they are already playing! and what if I'm demanded by IRL to do things other than this before I can grind to 50!"

If it was a real competition, it wouldn't last three days.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22534 on: February 08, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22535 on: February 08, 2016, 07:42:14 PM »
Sounds fun....can I get a PL?

Note: Results may vary like a Gold Farmer PLing you.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #22536 on: February 09, 2016, 04:22:32 AM »
If it was a real competition, it wouldn't last three days.

2 days max for leveling to 50, 1 day for finishing slotting the sets.

you must remember, it's not like there's going to be alts to use for self-farming, it's not like you're going to start the game with level 50 farmers or L50 leveling teams. sets and IOs? the paragon market will be barren, as barren as your field of Fvcks I presume. There will be no massive inf available by buying and selling, all of it will have to be grind-ed (ground) for. you wont have alt accounts with merits that you can just mail to your main to slot them.

heck PvP and certain Purples will be nigh unavailable, only way to get them would be Hero/villain merits and that is going to take 4 days minimum just to get one (5 alignment mishes max a day, need 10 to get normal merits the first time, then 5 per day again for 2 days to get your first Hero/Villain merit.) One thing we an guess, the game's shop is going to be different, and we may not get freebie points each month for VIP subscription. who knows they may put a limit on how many NonTradeable enchancements you can buy per day, and may restrict the level to the level of your currently logged in character.

in all reality, it could take over 3 days to get fully leveled and slotted under these conditions. could take well upto a month for slotting depending on the build.

and that's all assuming that when the game comes back none of these aspects I am relying on have changed to suit the maintenance mode marketing goals.

heck what if they start us without AE? they could decide to start from ground 0 releasing one Edition a month from the beginning till the last edition.

maybe that's whats taking so long, maybe they've negotiated to put each past edition of the server image into maintenance mode and run each one in order for a few months to try and make up quick funds to cover this whole purchase and time.

we don't really know exactly what we are going to get at start-up. less than 3 days may seem unreasonable given said conditions.

I mean yeah, I could probably 50 in a day solo with the right planning but without AE that's gonna be hard. plus the leveling competition should include completing the ouro and midnighter missions, cape mission, and the missions to get vanguard merits. Also we are adding a competitive bonus for how many badges/accolades you can get in the process.

Entry rules;
Must be 50 with-in 24 hours of the first 50
Must be fully slotted with final intended IO sets - must prove your build is viable after slotting!
Must have ouro, midnighter, vanguard and cape
Badges and accolades a bonus but not valid without fulfilling the other requirements.

Additional, first person to get all the badges after the above.

prizes? I haven't really thought of any. they should be beneficial to playing the game or something in the game, like maybe the first fully slotted 50 with the most badges etc. can request anyone else who sees them to immediately perform a requested emote for a month. and full-game-time support from other competitors to help them level and slot another toon of their choice or complete other goals for 3 months (masters runs, Dr Q etc.).

if anything it's meant to generate more cooperative playing and boost morale.

if you were to compete and win Arcana, you could demand that anyone that meets at a train station must immediately Dance-off with /dance to determine the winner.

me? I like farmin. watching those bodies fly and fall and seeing the enemy defeat and reward text spam my chat and hear the dings of players on the team who are camping on a rooftop cracking all sorts of jokes and doing dance-offs etc. makes mah day. to be honest I sympathize with the freak show in that I'm addicted to battle, but they can keep the metal 'upgrades'.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #22537 on: February 09, 2016, 05:11:46 AM »
The Excel CoH Fitness thing sounds cool. General question, though: does everyone burn the same amount of calories for a certain activity? Like, if two people put on pedometers, and both run 1,000 steps (or whatever workout, I have no idea how workouts are turned into calories burned in calorie burning measures) is that going to burn the same calories for both people?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22538 on: February 09, 2016, 05:49:58 AM »
The Excel CoH Fitness thing sounds cool. General question, though: does everyone burn the same amount of calories for a certain activity? Like, if two people put on pedometers, and both run 1,000 steps (or whatever workout, I have no idea how workouts are turned into calories burned in calorie burning measures) is that going to burn the same calories for both people?

No how much you burn is based on age, sex, body fat/mass ratio, if your body acclimated to physical activities, metabolism, etc.

nicoliy

• Boss
« Reply #22539 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »

No how much you burn is based on age, sex, body fat/mass ratio, if your body acclimated to physical activities, metabolism, etc.

In addition to what MM3 says, there is also the way in which you work out. If you are looking to burn fat then it is really a heart rate target you should strive for (neglecting food intake for a moment here). Walking in and of itself is good, but walking fast enough to elevate your heart rate is better. Strength training also burns calories longer than cardio does. Cardio generally burns while you work out and strength training burns over a period of time after workout. If I look at my workouts, I burn more during cardio, but the day after strength training I burn more than the day after cardio (assuming no workout to muck up results). If you look at my "Task Force" (workouts) there is a reason I end on burpees. That move is total body and even if I can only bat out 7-10, it will put my heart at target heart rate every time.

With working out I'd always recommend some form of a heart rate monitor as it will give a better sense of how you are doing and ultimately will calculate your calories burned better as a result. I use fitbit charge HR (yes I know it's not perfect, but it is directionally accurate).

The workbook itself takes into consideration the differences in bodies, I had to do this as my brother is about 4 inches taller, and two years older than me. The base formula is the Mifflin St. Jeor equation, which is the currently accepted one for BMR. Basically this is the calories you would burn by not doing anything all day (what happens while you are alive). From there the minimum calories per day is the formula plus the multiplier for your activity level, mine is sedentary to slightly active (think walking); a 1.3 multiplier. Mid calories goal is an added 250 calories a day (half lb of fat a week), and the max calories is 500 a day (lb of fat per week). My brother would have a different set of goals here as his BMR and multiplier are different.

The same goes for patrol page. One could increase/decrease steps to their level/need and it would recalculate as needed. The plan was that this would be a fair motivational tool for us with friendly competition. I'm generally more easily motivated by fitness than he is due the demands of our individual lives and families. For example, I can go to the YMCA and lift, but he doesn't have a membership. That's why we only count workouts and don't specify what they are. He could do P90X3 and it counts, or I can hop on the bike and it counts. The point is more to do it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:35:59 PM by nicoliy »