Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7285177 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #22540 on: February 09, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
I do kettlebell daily and pell work/point control work.

Pell is striking a post covered with tires with a large and heavy piece of rattan. I do the 6 - this is the 6 attitudes of Miyamoto Musashi in combination - with each hand first and then with 2 swords. Finally do the 6 with a polearm, followed by ranged thrust control drills.

This works core and targeting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMoXpO8jVA&index=9&list=PLTmsnpTOMaOnFYsumof0BTLBYpPh_1cPP

If you want to try something for your Katana, Broadsword, Staff fighting :)

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22541 on: February 09, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »
You'll be all set for the new i24 GM

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22542 on: February 09, 2016, 04:54:46 PM »

Pell is striking a post covered with tires with a large and heavy piece of rattan. I do the 6 - this is the 6 attitudes of Miyamoto Musashi in combination - with each hand first and then with 2 swords. Finally do the 6 with a polearm, followed by ranged thrust control drills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMoXpO8jVA&index=9&list=PLTmsnpTOMaOnFYsumof0BTLBYpPh_1cPP

I still have a pell in my back yard. havent used it in years

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22543 on: February 09, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »

Similar to me, I do alternative kettle ball swings with Turkish getup. Then I do sledge hammer swings with a modified stick with a 30 lb medicine ball attached on the end so I don't need to go buy a tire and an actual sledgehammer.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22544 on: February 09, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
2 days max for leveling to 50, 1 day for finishing slotting the sets.

you must remember, it's not like there's going to be alts to use for self-farming, it's not like you're going to start the game with level 50 farmers or L50 leveling teams. sets and IOs? the paragon market will be barren, as barren as your field of Fvcks I presume. There will be no massive inf available by buying and selling, all of it will have to be grind-ed (ground) for. you wont have alt accounts with merits that you can just mail to your main to slot them.

Assuming no AE, no inventions, no team help, and no twinking from higher alts (and no magic-leveling with exploits or dev codes) I'm pretty certain it can be done in less than 30 hours.  I think it might be possible in less than 20.

I wasn't in general a mad-leveling fiend although I did some fast leveling just for giggles.  Under I23 rules I'm not sure what the fastest leveling path is.  Part of the problem is the Dark Astoria revamp.  You can only get there through Ouroboros in I23.  I'm not sure how easy or hard it will be to get to Ouro in a rebooted I23.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22545 on: February 09, 2016, 09:30:13 PM »
Pell is striking a post covered with tires with a large and heavy piece of rattan.

What's it called when you trip out of bed on your purple iPhone charging cable and ricochet off your balcony door doing a 180 to strike the dresser with your latissimus dorsi?

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22546 on: February 09, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »
I think it'd be much slower on a first toon in a re-release just due to not having the money to enhance everything or keep enhancements up to date.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22547 on: February 09, 2016, 09:43:07 PM »
I think it'd be much slower on a first toon in a re-release just due to not having the money to enhance everything or keep enhancements up to date.

I said that to myself when CoV launched.  I didn't need to level quickly, stop and smell the roses, etc.  Then head start happened, and something made me just jump out of the gate running.  It helped I tested a lot more content than I normally do in beta (because the beta was so long) and because I had a chip on my shoulder having argued the heck out of the notion that stalkers could level just fine thank you.  I ended up putting my foot to the floor and getting to 40 like within the first several people on Triumph.

I'm *likely* to take it slow on any relaunch or reboot, because I've been there done that and got the t-shirt.  But'cha never know.  I have a competitive streak, mostly with myself.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22548 on: February 09, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
I wasn't in general a mad-leveling fiend although I did some fast leveling just for giggles.  Under I23 rules I'm not sure what the fastest leveling path is.  Part of the problem is the Dark Astoria revamp.  You can only get there through Ouroboros in I23.  I'm not sure how easy or hard it will be to get to Ouro in a rebooted I23.

Pretty easy if you race to 20, head to Faultline and complete Doc Delilah or Agent G's story arcs (Delilah's seems shorter from the summary on ParagonWiki).  I'm not sure what role Echo: Dark Astoria plays in optimal leveling, but I don't imagine you'd want to go there much sooner than 20 anyway.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22549 on: February 09, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »
Researching that just made me miss the game like crazy.  I don't have that feeling often because like I've said many times before, there are other games I've moved on to.  But damn, just exposing myself to the content again even through ParagonWiki brings it all back.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22550 on: February 09, 2016, 10:17:16 PM »
It depends on how you judge.  If you live in the western world, you probably have access to technology far superior to the total under command of the most powerful Egyptian pharaoh.  On the other hand, neither you nor the richest ten thousand people you know are going to be able to order a six million ton pyramid from Amazon.  We judge based on a modern perspective of what is necessary and important when that isn't always a fair comparison.  We can order a pizza by pushing a button.  But we cannot create immortal launchpads to eternity for our spirits to use to achieve godhood.  By that standard, ancient pharaohs might think our entire civilization was pretty poor.

There was a time when we thought early hunter-gatherers spent most of their time "working."  We thought of and described their lives as "nasty, brutal and short."  However, modern research now suggests that hunter-gatherers spent less time on work than modern people do: averaging less than 30 hours a week on such tasks.  What's more, those people would not necessarily even consider most of that time spent on "work" as we think of it.  Children are taught at very early ages "hunting games" and "crafting games" and when they become adults actual hunting and actual crafting become extensions of those activities.  It is as if an entire generation of children who grew up playing World of Warcraft became adults who played WoW as their professional careers.  If we're talking about "lifestyle" then a life spent playing - as *they* saw it - ain't all that bad when you think about it.  That's what they were taught, that's all they knew, and they were mostly happy to do it.

However, if we do decide to judge based on modern, western notions of lifestyle, then yes, things are better now than they have been, and have been trending better overall.
That's what I meant by the ability of humans to adapt.   We find a way to enjoy life in some way even if we are in prison.  Children played games in Nazi prison camps too.  (required mention of Nazis or Hitler on the internet)

So could people enjoy life when their lives are spent in an endless search for enough calories to sustain them?  Certainly.    90% of the labor force living in North America in 1790 were farmers.   There is a reason why we moved away from that lifestyle.   It's not because it was great...it's because it's better to do something else and once technology allowed us to do something else, we choose that instead.  By 1890 that number had fallen to 43% of the labor force.   Today, 2% of the labor force are farmers and we have more food than ever before using less land to grow it.   Some still do feel the urge to hunt...I'm sure that's a biological thing which I've completely evolved past personally.   But we certainly don't choose to do it 30 hours a week and there is a reason for that.   Our ancestors didn't have a choice so they of course made the best of it like we always do.   We do have a choice and we choose to not live that way.   As you point out, that's all they knew.   And that's where the improvement lies.   

Some of the richest people in the world still live in the Middle East and they also could live like the ancient Pharaohs if they wanted....but they don't.    Bring one of the Pharaohs to the present and give them the same pile of money and see if they still choose that ancient life.   I'm betting they wouldn't.   Don't forget they aren't allowed access to modern medical care or technology.   Their kids and wives are still going to die in childbirth a lot.

A longer life span by itself is proof it's better to be alive today.   The fact that your chances of existing longer are greater puts today over all past eras.   And of course the human global lifespan continues to increase every decade.   So it's getting better everywhere.   I myself would have died at 16 in past centuries from appendicitis instead of spending a couple of days in a hospital eating jello.   

But then add in that our ancestors were typically losing most of their teeth by age 30, had bad skin, rarely traveled more than a few miles from their birthplace.   Did they get used to seeing people with bad teeth and body odor who urinated and defecated outdoors in the winter?  I'm sure they didn't think it was unusual at all.  Did they think it was odd that almost no one knew how to read or that women had almost no rights and the world was almost constantly embroiled in a war or conflict of some kind and was ruled over by monarchs, kings, emperors, czars, and dictators?   Was it shocking to them that their drinking water was dangerous to drink?  Nope..that's all they knew.   You can't miss what you don't know about.    We know better.  We actually take reading and writing for granted in the west and that's a miraculous achievement.

Much better to live in a time when we have to invent medical scares instead of actually experiencing true plagues and epidemics.   SARS, Swine Flue, Bird Flu, Ebola, West Nile, Mad Cow....we panic over those while the 1918 flu epidemic wiped out millions of people.  (Didn't we just get a new medical scare?   We get one every other year or so)   I guess we are so spoiled we got bored with AIDS and malaria and need fake medical scares instead.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22551 on: February 09, 2016, 10:30:35 PM »
Researching that just made me miss the game like crazy.  I don't have that feeling often because like I've said many times before, there are other games I've moved on to.  But damn, just exposing myself to the content again even through ParagonWiki brings it all back.

Same here that's why I stay away from Mids and Paragon Chat

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22552 on: February 09, 2016, 10:31:23 PM »
Assuming no AE, no inventions, no team help, and no twinking from higher alts (and no magic-leveling with exploits or dev codes) I'm pretty certain it can be done in less than 30 hours.  I think it might be possible in less than 20.

I don't know about "fastest", but the most fun I had in a quick leveling mode was with all-Controller teams.  That all-Rad project was a blast to be a part of.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22553 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:44 PM »
Pretty easy if you race to 20, head to Faultline and complete Doc Delilah or Agent G's story arcs (Delilah's seems shorter from the summary on ParagonWiki).  I'm not sure what role Echo: Dark Astoria plays in optimal leveling, but I don't imagine you'd want to go there much sooner than 20 anyway.

If you're trying to level fast, the fastest way out of the early levels is probably to go fire controller and AoE your way through (the original) DA.  Banished Pantheon are vulnerable to fire, relatively easy to herd, not too dangerous to fight.  I don't know if that head start can ultimately propel Fire/Kin or Fire/Rad past Claws/Fire brutes or not, but it is a factor.  Fire/Energy blasters also used to propel themselves to level 30 in DA back in the day: it was one of the safer ways to level blasters solo, if you could get enough oomph out of the alpha to reduce the threat.  DA fire vulnerability made that much easier for Fire blasters.

One of the turning points for attitudes towards /energy manipulation was the fact that you get a very early BU.  Fire/Energy blasters thus got very potent alphas very early.  I believe that realization is what caused people to start to look at energy manipulation in a new light: it wasn't looked upon favorably by players not named Pulsewave very often in the early days.  When players started looking for a new dance partner after AR/Dev, Fire/Energy became the new hot item among blasters.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22554 on: February 09, 2016, 11:36:02 PM »
I don't know about "fastest", but the most fun I had in a quick leveling mode was with all-Controller teams.  That all-Rad project was a blast to be a part of.

halloween one year, a team of 8 mm's. in grandville...wow..just wow

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22555 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:03 PM »
If you're trying to level fast, the fastest way out of the early levels is probably to go fire controller and AoE your way through (the original) DA.  Banished Pantheon are vulnerable to fire, relatively easy to herd, not too dangerous to fight.  I don't know if that head start can ultimately propel Fire/Kin or Fire/Rad past Claws/Fire brutes or not, but it is a factor.  Fire/Energy blasters also used to propel themselves to level 30 in DA back in the day: it was one of the safer ways to level blasters solo, if you could get enough oomph out of the alpha to reduce the threat.  DA fire vulnerability made that much easier for Fire blasters.

You're hot feet and fire caging everything to death or am I missing something? Not sure how much of a head start that would be since clawls/fire would have the aura, spin and follow up by 8 when the troller got hot feet.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22556 on: February 10, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
A longer life span by itself is proof it's better to be alive today.   The fact that your chances of existing longer are greater puts today over all past eras.   And of course the human global lifespan continues to increase every decade.   So it's getting better everywhere.   I myself would have died at 16 in past centuries from appendicitis instead of spending a couple of days in a hospital eating jello.   

But then add in that our ancestors were typically losing most of their teeth by age 30, had bad skin, rarely traveled more than a few miles from their birthplace.   Did they get used to seeing people with bad teeth and body odor who urinated and defecated outdoors in the winter?  I'm sure they didn't think it was unusual at all.  Did they think it was odd that almost no one knew how to read or that women had almost no rights and the world was almost constantly embroiled in a war or conflict of some kind and was ruled over by monarchs, kings, emperors, czars, and dictators?   Was it shocking to them that their drinking water was dangerous to drink?  Nope..that's all they knew.   You can't miss what you don't know about.    We know better.  We actually take reading and writing for granted in the west and that's a miraculous achievement.

Much better to live in a time when we have to invent medical scares instead of actually experiencing true plagues and epidemics.   SARS, Swine Flue, Bird Flu, Ebola, West Nile, Mad Cow....we panic over those while the 1918 flu epidemic wiped out millions of people.  (Didn't we just get a new medical scare?   We get one every other year or so)   I guess we are so spoiled we got bored with AIDS and malaria and need fake medical scares instead.

Be careful, many of the things you are attributing to "the bad old days" are actually *inventions* of modern civilization.  Humans didn't start having dental problems until the invention of agriculture and switching to diets of milled grains.  Infant mortality was high for hunter-gatherers, but humans that survived childhood could expect to live to lifespans of between 60 and 70 years - almost as good as today.  Plagues and epidemics?  Invented by high density populations living in cities.  Prior to cities, no epidemics.

And the 1918 flu epidemic?  It is unclear how bad such a thing would be today.  It could still be a devastating killer.  There is a conjecture that at least one of the reasons why flu epidemics haven't been as bad as the 1918 influenza pandemic is that the 1918 pandemic killed so many people it actually left a genetic footprint behind, and a large percentage of the people alive today are descended from people who were naturally more statistically hardy against influenza.  But we're three generations removed from the survivors, and with each passing generation that intrinsic protection gets diluted.

Human civilization can count on very few unambiguous victories.  Dramatic decrease in infant mortality.  Climatologically stable food supply.  Technological preservation of knowledge.  But many of the problems civilization now tackles are problems it invented in the first place.  Influenza is probably a relatively recent cross-species disease promoted by mass farming of domesticated animals.  Heart disease, obesity; these are inventions of modern civilization.  Our hunter-gatherer ancestors didn't need dentists because they didn't eat milled grains or refined sugar.  They might have had a cavity or two, but they didn't lose their teeth in their 30s like our more modern ancestors sometimes did.  Even gender rights are likely a problem created by modern civilization: hunter-gatherers don't have the same gender problems because of the need for everyone to contribute equally.  Men and women tend to have similar rights and influences over the group.  Civilization created gender inequality when it created property rights to fight over, gender imbalances in the raising of children, and parochial authority structures usually dominated by males.

A 67 year old Kalahari bushman would probably kick your ass on neutral ground without breaking a sweat.  His 67 year old wife would probably do so in a similar amount of time, and then smile a full smile of (admittedly crooked) teeth.

Incidentally, a word on "fake scares."  It is important not to get too carried away over the threat of emergent infectious diseases.  But it is also important to realize that the modern world doesn't have any sense of moderation.  There's only two responses modern people seem to have: panic, and apathy.  Those diseases you mentioned were not global pandemics *because* of the response to them.  Without that rapid and sometimes overreacting response, they could easily have become global killers.  The real problem isn't that we have to invent problems, it is that we have no appreciation for prevention.  We don't become bored, we become overconfident.  The next time we *don't* overreact to such an emergent threat because we think people are crying wolf a lot of people are probably going to die.  The last time we decided to react with apathy instead of panic, we got the global AIDS pandemic.  Panic is not the right reaction, but it is always preferable to apathy.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #22557 on: February 10, 2016, 12:11:33 AM »

I know that's right. Warehouse district, 8 masterminds, heck even a raid group opening as many doors as possible. Super-sidekick for teh winn!1!!

brothermutant

• New Efforts # 14,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22558 on: February 10, 2016, 12:20:08 AM »
You think the game coming back saves you?  You didn't frequent the official forums much, did you?
No, because I was PLAYING MEH GAME MAN! (or madam :P).

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22559 on: February 10, 2016, 04:25:47 AM »
I think I might have been on that team...