Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272986 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #260 on: April 03, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »
This is kind of why people started talking to Chris Chung  ;D

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #261 on: April 04, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
Not to add any pressure or anything, but does anyone else get really excited when they see that the latest post on here is from Ironwolf? :)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Botzo

• Minion
« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2014, 01:13:38 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/02/everquest-next-dev-reveals-future-for-everquest-1-and-2

While I don't think SOE would bring back CoH, I do think it's interesting that people over at SOE would be talking about City of Heroes. If only DCUO was more like CoH.....

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #263 on: April 04, 2014, 01:37:27 AM »
Not to add any pressure or anything, but does anyone else get really excited when they see that the latest post on here is from Ironwolf? :)
Any news is good, even if its not in depth.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Seethe

• Underling
« Reply #264 on: April 04, 2014, 03:30:58 AM »
3. A new group who do have an organization is making an overture to NCSoft. NCSoft has shown a willingness to talk - where are they now on the IP? Who knows as talks with Chris Chung have shown things at NCSoft have changed. In fact the new group approaching NCSoft has talked/is talking with Chris Chung and others to find out how to move forward.

At the end of the day, it's going to be a matter of price and finance.  If Chris Chung (or anyone, for that matter) negotiates with NCSoft for CoH, the price has to be right for multiple parties.

First, NCSoft has to agree that the price is worth letting CoH's IP and engine walk out the door and risking it being out there on the market again.  Second, he has to keep his group of investors together and have a credible plan to make a profit for them. 

Unfortunately we'll never know why negotiation broke down between Paragon Studios and NCsoft.

Unless someone that was there chooses to impart that knowledge to us.

Who knows? It may have been something very simple indeed that both parties couldn't agree on - or far more complex than that.

It likely came down to money.  It wouldn't surprise me if NCSoft agreed to a reasonable price and a major investor or two from Paragon's side got cold feet and backed out.  Believe it or not, that happens all the time.  A deal gets ironed out, the negotiators take it back to investors, and the investing company re-runs the numbers and gets cold feet.

Let's say, just for kicks, that NCSoft agreed to sell City of Heroes (IP and engine).  As a ten year old game, you'd likely have to re-release it to the market soon because it has a limited shelf life (and growth opportunities from what it was) and a high likelihood that someone's going to develop a super hero competitor (quite possibly with Marvel's license or Disney buying a game studio to make a game).  To accomplish that, you'd need a studio in place, have to hire a significant number of former CoH developers, and have some form of update pipeline in place and ready to move.  And, on top of that, you'll have to have the customer/tech support either already in place or quickly hired and trained.

In all likelihood, you're probably looking at a substantial investment to get CoH out and to the market quickly to capitalize on that investment and avoiding capitalizing on a market that's relatively lacking for superhero games.

Taking into consideration that the game is ten years old and there will be a strong likelihood that another competitor will find its way to the market within 5 years, investors would likely need to make its investment back in profits over the course of 2-3 years from purchase.  That's why price is key and that's likely why past deals fell apart.  There are so many reasons for an investor to get cold feet and say 'no.' 

Like I said before.  I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  But, the odds are low.  But, I certainly hope I'm wrong.  I'm not going to get my hopes up. The odds would be significantly better if NCSoft went bankrupt and had its assets sold to pay creditors.  I could see someone like Valve picking up the game and bargain bin prices. 

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #265 on: April 05, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »
I would think Matt Miller would come back in a heartbeat. He has been writing great articles in game informer mag. Given how MMO's work I think good programmers are far more important than DEVs.
Costly? Yes. Unbearable? No.
You also have to keep in mind if whoever buys the game manages to get the rights they would then be able to make a true CoH 2. This games shelf life is limited but you then have the ability to do a true revamp.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #266 on: April 05, 2014, 06:01:56 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but.. who is Chris Chung amd why is he important?

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #267 on: April 05, 2014, 06:55:07 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but.. who is Chris Chung amd why is he important?

A former NCsoft employee.

Probably best to read the thread and/or use Google.

Not being snarky here. Just saying it'll make more sense to you.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #268 on: April 05, 2014, 10:11:44 PM »
I would think Matt Miller would come back in a heartbeat. He has been writing great articles in game informer mag.

Are you thinking of the right Matt Miller? Positron had a column at mmorpg.com: http://www.mmorpg.com/features.cfm/view/columns/show/45_Matt-Miller

Matt Miller from Game Informer's biography mentions nothing about City of Heroes, and appears to be an entirely different person: https://www.gameinformer.com/members/gimiller/default.aspx

Not saying Positron wouldn't come back (although STO is probably a reasonably sweet gig) just pointing out that I can't find anything from Posi at GI.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

ShadowMokadara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #269 on: April 05, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
A former NCsoft employee.

Probably best to read the thread and/or use Google.

Not being snarky here. Just saying it'll make more sense to you.

And he can just relay information from NCsoft to Ironwolf without legal backlash?

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #270 on: April 06, 2014, 01:13:18 AM »
Chris Chung is the former CEO of NCSoft's American division. He was in the original talks to buy the game - in fact he helped bring the money people on board.

I have spoken to him and also the folks currently making arrangements to talk to NCSoft have been/are in talks with him. Chris was one of the people who bought CoH from Cryptic. He was upset to see the game close and really wants it back in service.

Just so you folks understand the current talks do NOT need the engine - all the folks want/need is the IP - the stories, artwork and codebase. I honestly don't have any timeline for what is happening but I know it has been about 2 weeks since they started work on a pitch. Obviously they want to get it right - and so do we :)

I try and answer questions I know the answer to and just try to keep you folks encouraged. I know it is exciting and I think iif this goes through the news will spread like wildfire across the gaming world. If not - I may try contacting the guy from Microsoft who likes City of Heroes :)

Kyuuen

• Minion
« Reply #271 on: April 06, 2014, 03:23:19 AM »
I'm encouraged. Good luck!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #272 on: April 06, 2014, 04:08:23 AM »
Just so you folks understand the current talks do NOT need the engine - all the folks want/need is the IP - the stories, artwork and codebase.

Umm... those are the same thing...

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »
Umm... those are the same thing...

Now I'm really confused here... I don't understand what this whole thing is aiming at... And I don't understand how we can aim about only half of the game and not the other half. I mean... a game is a whole... The content of the game is nothing without the gameplay and the gameplay is not as much without the content...

So... um... are we aiming for half of the game? I don't say I'm not encouraging the effort. Just all this is not clear.

And someone brought the fact about that guy from NCSoft who might not doing it legally... And I think it's a thing that must be cleared off. Isn't he putting himself in trouble by revealing some informations like that? Why the guy would risk to get sued?

I encourage anything to bring the game back but now all this is confusing poor little me so please, if it is possible to make some light so I can fully understand the situation, I would appreciate (yes, I have followed the whole topic... it's why I'm even more confused).

Thank you for making a recap of this whole thing :)

Edit: Oh and if it works, I am not sure to understand who will "own" the whole thing. From what I understand, Ironwolf would but it makes no sense so I probably understood wrongly.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:13:59 AM by BenshowSly »

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2014, 05:47:41 AM »
Forgive my stupidity, but how would the game run without the engine?

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #275 on: April 06, 2014, 06:34:08 AM »
Forgive my stupidity, but how would the game run without the engine?
It would converted to using a different software engine, like, for example, Unreal Engine 4.
Basically the storylines, setting, characters, art, and combat mechanics would implemented using the new engine. Which would be a ton of work, but quite doable. Probably the biggest difficulty would be adapting character designs since new models would have to be created and the original texture maps would have to modified or remade to work in the new engine.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #276 on: April 06, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
It would converted to using a different software engine, like, for example, Unreal Engine 4.
Basically the storylines, setting, characters, art, and combat mechanics would implemented using the new engine. Which would be a ton of work, but quite doable. Probably the biggest difficulty would be adapting character designs since new models would have to be created and the original texture maps would have to modified or remade to work in the new engine.

Now that is scaring me...

Am I the only one wanting the game as it used to be and nothing more, nothing less? I would take it as it was anytime soon. I don't want a new engine where things would work differently since I consider, as far as I go, CoH was working perfectly well as it was.

Redoing the whole thing would make me fear that it will end up like all the others of the kind that I have tried and didn't appreciate the gameplay. It's not because you have a Stateman or a Lord Recluse or a Ms Liberty that it means it is the same game we used to love. It would be just a different game with characters and places we know.

I'm sorry, I don't try to bring negativity on the whole thing but if it just to tag names of characters and areas on new stuff, I'm not sure it is what I personally want. I didn't like CoH necessarily for its content (The content was great, of course) but for its way to play it. If that is taken away, then it is not the game I used to love.

Please, tell me I am understanding it wrongly  :-\

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #277 on: April 06, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »
Porting the game to a new engine doesn't mean the gameplay would be any different, It just means it would be in a newer engine.
Which, from everything I've heard of working with the CoH engine...Wouldn't be a bad thing.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #278 on: April 06, 2014, 07:40:11 AM »
Porting the game to a new engine doesn't mean the gameplay would be any different, It just means it would be in a newer engine.
Which, from everything I've heard of working with the CoH engine...Wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ok, I'm stupid in those kind of things. Maybe someone can explain to me what an engine does then? I thought it was what was making the gameplay works.

Fleur_uk

• Lieutenant
  • @Fleur_Eriss
« Reply #279 on: April 06, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »
Thank you for the update Ironwolf!!  I'm feeling a little "Yippee" inside :)  Fingers Crossed!!

I read all the responses, I too hope we have our game back, but I want to trust that someone who knows this game and loves it enough to bring it back will want to keep the game in its integrity.

I for one, is simply trying not to get too excited.   ;D