Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272807 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8080 on: August 02, 2014, 03:15:41 AM »
Without trying to sound sappy, we already got part of our game back, right here on this thread.

The community was one of the things that mad CoH so different from other games. This was a game where it was possible just to hang out in Atlas and just chat and catch up and maybe beat up some bad guys.

The amity and interaction that we had in the game is being mimicked right here on this thread. That, in my view, is why someone like Iron Wolf would put up the hassle of keeping us informed and dealing with facebook fools.

To bring the game back, you have to bring the community back. That is what each of us, whether we post or not, is trying to do.

OH NO!!! IT'S A SAPPER!!! GET HIM FIRST!!!!!!!

:P
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #8081 on: August 02, 2014, 03:26:57 AM »
Does anyone else want to confess to having spent an inordinate amount of time looking upon this thread over the past month without making a comment?

Hey, I made a joke about the difference between myself and a 14 year old that began with "When I was 14"

and derailed the thread for at LEAST 6 pages
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8082 on: August 02, 2014, 03:42:27 AM »
OH NO!!! IT'S A SAPPER!!! GET HIM FIRST!!!!!!!

:P

Pffft, What do you care? Just Stygian Circle his dead mates.

Everfreefire

• Boss
« Reply #8083 on: August 02, 2014, 03:50:32 AM »
Does anyone else want to confess to having spent an inordinate amount of time looking upon this thread over the past month without making a comment?

I talk...Occasionally.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8084 on: August 02, 2014, 04:26:24 AM »

I comment to much to confess to that.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #8085 on: August 02, 2014, 04:28:00 AM »
Thread stalker, reporting in.
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
« Reply #8086 on: August 02, 2014, 04:37:05 AM »
I gotta agree. This here is just great. I never got into CoH forums or anything. Maybe a post or two in the triumph forums that's it. But any time I did it was a good experience. I didn't meet a single person who was nasty in game.

Feels like it's missing in most games I've played since. And I've tried the lot of them, including GW2 and Wildstar. (I got over the NCsoft thing about a year or so ago. It's a business and things like that happen from time to time. This deal makes me feel even better about that too.)

Also almost all of my posts have been made here from my autocorrecting phone so it never makes sense.
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #8087 on: August 02, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »
And nemesis snipers too.
All enemies of the class "Sniper" could see through stealth.  That includes the Crey snipers in Founder's Falls.  Not to mention the perception buffed Rularuu Overseers.

Also, certain ranks of Knives of Artemis could ignore stealth... And they also had an annoying habit of deploying caltrops which would make it nearly impossible for Stalkers to re-stealth.

Ouul

• Minion
« Reply #8088 on: August 02, 2014, 04:51:43 AM »
Also Quartz dropped from Devouring Earth lieutenants buffed an entire spawns accuracy and perception a billion-fold. As an SR player, PANCAKE those guys.

Stealth Dart

• Boss
  • Martial Artists kick butt with style
« Reply #8089 on: August 02, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »
I was never one much for PVP.  I never saw the joy of ruining someone else's fun.  That being said, there were a few times that I entered PVP areas and was attacked.  The first time I was running Stealth Dart on Blue Side with some of my friends when we ran into a PK who was bent on harassing our team.  He took out our tanker first...then went after the defender.  But when it came time to turn his attentions to me he ran into some consternation.  Seems his brute had not run into many Super Reflexes/Martial Artist Scrappers before.  He kept trying to hit me and missing.  When I hit him I caused stuns...which allowed me to start tearing him down.  After several failed attempts to one shot me and popping many green inspirations he ended up leaving in frustration.  I still chuckle about that one...he he. 

One of the other times I was playing Red Side in a PVP area with some friends...but we were doing missions in the zone rather than looking to attack any heroes.  I was playing X-treme Threat my Electric Armor/Electric Melee Brute.  As we were minding our own business I got shot at by an arrow from a Defender on the ground.  I was kind of shocked that an Arrows Defender would want to get the attentions of an Electric Brute.  As a villain I could not let that pass without answering in kind.  So I used the attack where the Electric Brute turns into a living bolt of lightning and one-shotted the defender on the ground.  He immediately started screaming for help from his friend that he had been PK'ed.  By the time his friend arrived I had reverted back to normal form on the ground.  His ally shows up with an armored suit and starts blasting me from the sky thinking he would be safe up there.

Boy was he wrong.  Fired up the boot jets and came up to him and used Air Superiority to knock him from the sky down into the waters below.  Not realizing that my buddy the stalker was waiting in the waters.  Soon as he hit the water, my buddy the stalker - assassin striked him for the second kill.  I never liked starting a PVP fight...but I did enjoy ending them.  LOL

I am a dancer, a leaf in the wind...a leaf that can kick your Butt!

MattTreck

• Minion
« Reply #8090 on: August 02, 2014, 04:55:09 AM »
Just want to drop in and say I randomly thought of CoH a few days ago and decided to check up on these forums to see if they were still active.

Then I found this thread.

I'm incredibly happy that people are still trying to bring this game back. I have so many fond memories of this game (much like everyone here).

EDIT: Does anyone know of any sort of chat room for former CoX players? Be it IRC or otherwise.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8091 on: August 02, 2014, 05:14:15 AM »
Pffft, What do you care? Just Stygian Circle his dead mates.

lol, true, true.... Although, if the difficulty settings are higher and there are no dead mates yet...it could be a problem!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ixQPqNw3Y&feature=youtu.be
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Tyger42

• Boss
« Reply #8092 on: August 02, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
I can say Bioware is not the group.

Something that never crossed my mind but now that you've put it there... Given their history of great story RPGs, I, for one, would've liked that. Though I'm sure whatever the group is will do a great job too if they pull this off.

Sergio526

• Underling
« Reply #8093 on: August 02, 2014, 11:53:28 AM »
I CONFESS, I CONFESS!! HAVE PITY ON ME!! Wait, is lurking wrong?

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
« Reply #8094 on: August 02, 2014, 12:15:43 PM »
Something that never crossed my mind but now that you've put it there... Given their history of great story RPGs, I, for one, would've liked that. Though I'm sure whatever the group is will do a great job too if they pull this off.

Indeed. Currently playing swtor a bit cause I wanna see the class stories which are really well done.
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8095 on: August 02, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
swtor isnt getting any new playable content for over a year...and what little they are making is gated behind HUGE credit sinks. they still havent managed to fix some of the bugs from launch.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8096 on: August 02, 2014, 01:04:02 PM »
*raises hand*

Of course, I suspect there are a lot of stalkers doing the same thing....

*ASSASSIN POST!!!*

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8097 on: August 02, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I remember swearing blind to my Duo-partner that I would never, on principle (!), play a stalker.

Sneaky.  Cowardly.  Cheating.  Unprincipled...  Unfair.  Despicable etc (you get the idea...)

It wasn't until the game was within the last year that I 'rolled' a stalker.  (You know...while no one was looking...)  And I was surprised at how 'effective' this archetype was from a standing start.  Vark 1st target.  Drastically wound the 2nd.  And Set upon the last target who is still in deep shock to see his Boss and his buddy dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Naturally, I was caught in the act of playing this stalker by my Duo-Partner who crowed endlessly, 'You said you would never...on principle...play such a sneaky, cowardly, cheating...'  (Yes, yes...  I never heard the last of it.)

Shame I only got him to L42.  Elec.  Elec.

1 dimensional.  Very addictive.

Azrael.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #8098 on: August 02, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
Seems his brute had not run into many Super Reflexes/Martial Artist Scrappers before.  He kept trying to hit me and missing.  When I hit him I caused stuns...which allowed me to start tearing him down.  After several failed attempts to one shot me and popping many green inspirations he ended up leaving in frustration.  I still chuckle about that one...he he. 

Wait...WHAT...He pop'd ???  There's no popping in PvP.  He would have been run out of BB back in the day >:(

Ouul

• Minion
« Reply #8099 on: August 02, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »
Wait...WHAT...He pop'd ???  There's no popping in PvP.  He would have been run out of BB back in the day >:(
Not if they were popping enough!