Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7211024 times)

CheerGunbunny

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
All powerset choices are character concept driven...

First up, my namesake...AR/Dev blaster, inspired by Julie brown's "Homecoming Queen's Got A Gun"...Blue
My DM/FA brute, Dreadfyre Wraith....Demon bitch with a mad on against Legacy Chain....Red
Danica Van Helsing, BS/Regen Stalker.....Belmont-esque (a la Castlevania) scion fallen into corruption....Rogue
Shadow-Kissed Rose.....Spines/DA Scrapper Praet rebel.....blue
Decaffeinator....SS/Will Brute.....slightly political backstory (Coffee Caucus not Tea Party)...red
Angelika Nightspawn...need to re-pick powers....half vampire daughter of dracula...blue

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »
This is exciting.  I really hope the deal goes through.  I really miss my adventures as a super.  One thing I'd like to ask.  Even if the deal does go though and we do get our city back, I'd like to strongly encourage the SCORE people to continue.  We lost our city once; we could easily lose it again.  The only place I'm going to feel my avatars are completely safe will be on my own private server or standalone.  (I.E.: In MY hands.)  Make no mistake -- I'll have my wallet out and ready to sign up if the game comes back.  I just want the comfort of knowing I'm not going to lose the ability to play again.

This!

Go get em' Ironwolf & crew!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2014, 05:21:10 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from the folks at SCORE? 

Are they still plugging away? 

Did they throw in the towel? 

How far did they get?
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
Has anyone heard anything from the folks at SCORE? 

Are they still plugging away? 

Did they throw in the towel? 

How far did they get?
Last I heard it is still a free time thing and (as we know) it is PAINFUL to do. They definitely said it is taking longer than expected.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2014, 11:05:45 PM »
Right. We may not get the game with our characters back. We may not even get the game itself, but only the IP for it. In both of these scenarios we need to rebuilt. Most of us simply do not know at this point and those involved in the middle likely cannot speak of it or else sabotage the efforts.

Recall, what killed our game boils down to 1 signature, a single man who refused to sign. He was spooked at the last minute. None of us wish to spook anybody.

Yes, this is certainly very true. I promise we'll be good forever if we get our game back. I won't even use a monkey farm to level toons. I promise.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #465 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
Yes, this is certainly very true. I promise we'll be good forever if we get our game back. I won't even use a monkey farm to level toons. I promise.
Why even bother making that promise? It's not like you farming monkeys will hurt the game in any detectable way unless you make it your goal to start leveling new players that way so that we can have another groundswell of players who have no idea how to use their characters at level 50 and then get frustrated and quit when they fail at almost everything outside AE.

If you know how to play the game feel free to PL alts to your heart's content. Personally i like leveling a new character up and doing the content from 1 to 50, but there's no reason you have to do that if the only thing you care about is 50+ content or getting as many 50s as possible. The whole point to playing the game is to do whatever you enjoy as long as it doesn't harm or harass others.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #466 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:05 AM »
Why even bother making that promise? It's not like you farming monkeys will hurt the game in any detectable way unless you make it your goal to start leveling new players that way so that we can have another groundswell of players who have no idea how to use their characters at level 50 and then get frustrated and quit when they fail at almost everything outside AE.

If you know how to play the game feel free to PL alts to your heart's content. Personally i like leveling a new character up and doing the content from 1 to 50, but there's no reason you have to do that if the only thing you care about is 50+ content or getting as many 50s as possible. The whole point to playing the game is to do whatever you enjoy as long as it doesn't harm or harass others.

Well said. 

I'd never had a problem with other people playing the game we love the way they wanted to play it. 

Sure, I PLed...on both ends of the deal many times...but, I followed the basic guidelines you stated above.  I didn't like all that much when I was continually bugged/begged to PL anyone...but, it didn't bother me (too much) to be asked...once or twice. 

If other players wanted to spend their gaming time standing around hoping for some (or many) quick levels, that was their choice...whether they paid the monthly fee or were free to play, I always felt they should be able to play the game how ever they wished without any grief from me or any one else.

Some players wasted time standing around Atlas chatting for hours at a time...others spammed task forces...while others had personal calendars filled with dates and times for scheduled Tank or Mastermind teams...everyone played differently, that was part of the beauty of the game.  The community was so incredibly eclectic, you could find ALL types of players and people.  It was truly amazing.

I have to admit, I did get some easy levels in my early years in the game, but, I received them via people I met and had built an online gaming relationship with...people I spent time getting to know...not by spamming strangers for those easy levels.  I had no problem with others doing that as long as...as you say...it didn't harm or harass others by doing so.

I always thought, those players who jumped up on soap boxes to disparage others' gaming styles, had their own gaming faux pas they dealt with.  We all played the game differently.  And it was cool that way.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #467 on: April 17, 2014, 01:27:24 AM »
For the record if we get the game back... which I hope we will.. and I dont get all my stuff back.. Im going on record that I will be running the PL train to get my level 50's right back to where they were when the game ended..

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2014, 01:42:37 AM »
If the game came back, I would have no problem starting anew and I was there from 05/03/04 until the lights went out on Triumph.

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2014, 01:48:16 AM »
If we do get it back, I intend to savor the flavor of getting to 50.  At the very least for the first one.  There's content I've never played in there and now more than ever I want to experience it.  Of course I wouldn't mind a rematch with Dr. Vahzilok.   :)  My only dilemma is where to start. My namesake the SS/Invuln Tank, or my first actual 50 a Mind Controller/Healer.  I got a case of alt-itis and was having such fun playing the Controller my Tank ended up hitting 50 in second place.

And yeah, that's why I refused to team for a while.  People telling me I was doing it wrong.

-Infinity-

Nebularian

• Boss
    • Voyages of Imagination
« Reply #470 on: April 17, 2014, 03:41:41 AM »
If we do get it back, I intend to savor the flavor of getting to 50.  At the very least for the first one.  There's content I've never played in there and now more than ever I want to experience it.  Of course I wouldn't mind a rematch with Dr. Vahzilok.   :)  My only dilemma is where to start. My namesake the SS/Invuln Tank, or my first actual 50 a Mind Controller/Healer.  I got a case of alt-itis and was having such fun playing the Controller my Tank ended up hitting 50 in second place.

And yeah, that's why I refused to team for a while.  People telling me I was doing it wrong.

-Infinity-

THIS!   I KNOW this is what I will do with that first character.....Running mish from 1 -50...just celebrating having the game back again!

BUT  LOL   I am trying not to get my hopes up.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. (and playing around a lot more with ICON than I have in the past couple of months LOL)

IF we get the game back...I will savor the experience of running those first few toons I recreate... (Okay okay...I'll savor them all...but those first few will be special LOL)
(@Nebularian)(AKA Dylan Clearbrook) Champion/Virtue - Nebularian/Sgt. Raines/Nurse Darklight/Cosmicana-Cosmicella/Mercy Vengeance/Angel Sprite/Suzy Uzi/Blue Arc/Dark Carolyne 

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2014, 06:00:20 AM »
THIS!   I KNOW this is what I will do with that first character.....Running mish from 1 -50...just celebrating having the game back again!

BUT  LOL   I am trying not to get my hopes up.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed, though. (and playing around a lot more with ICON than I have in the past couple of months LOL)

IF we get the game back...I will savor the experience of running those first few toons I recreate... (Okay okay...I'll savor them all...but those first few will be special LOL)

When! we get the game back, I'll be doing the same, completing every story arc, mission, badge collect, Tf etc to experience again what the game has to offer, I don't want to have the same experience we have all had over the past 16 months of not being able to do complete the story arc, mission, badge collect, Tf etc, at least I'll be able to say I have done everything but am still going with another toon the same way :)

People have the right to play a game the way they want, if they want to PL, just run Tf's, just badge collect so be it, it won't affect how I play the game or enjoy the game experience.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »
If we manage to get the game back, I'll do something I swore NEVER to do again.

Street-sweep a character to 50.

CheerGunbunny

• Lieutenant
« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
I remember street sweeping in Perez....this would have been in late 04, early 05...my namesake AR/Dev blaster had *just* gotten Buckshot and M30....so. much. FUN. watching skulls go flying en masse....

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
Power Leveling, at least at first, is going to be a bit difficult as everyone's going to be in the same boat...all starting out...so, there will be no one to PL. 

However, if they keep AE as it was, or, at the very least, keep it in the game for the missions to be re-created, there was this one Fiery Aura Brute/Tank mission that kept your toon beneath level 8 (or something) and allowed you to PL yourself to 50.  Some claimed they could do it in 5 hours...I don't think that was very realistic...but, it WAS pretty quick.

I would, most definitely, use that mission, or something similar, to get one of my Brutes or Tanks back up quickly.  I liked to repeat the mission for influence.  But, I'd get my old damage hogs back.

Then, I'd play my namesake (Empathy Defender) to 50...slowly...doing all the Task Forces and cool missions I've heard about to really immerse myself back into the game.  I'd probably choose a new secondary, because I never cared for Psychic Blast...not sure if I'd go with Ice Blast or Dark Blast...any suggestions?

My game-play style was pure Empath.  But I loved throwing in a hold or two...and I liked the holds that had strong visuals..like the giant ice block or Tenebrous Tentacles.  I would do Earth Control, but the Empathy powers aren't as strong and I loved being really active Emping...not controlling. 

I thought Plant/Bow Control sounded great for all the awesome holds and crowd control abilities.

I'd definitely re-roll and play (slowly) a new Plant/Storm and an Earth/Storm...and go through several of my Mastermind combinations...Thugs was most useful, I think, but Bots were still my favorites.

OH MAAAAN, I SO want to play now...

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #475 on: April 17, 2014, 01:46:27 PM »
I remember street sweeping in Perez....this would have been in late 04, early 05...my namesake AR/Dev blaster had *just* gotten Buckshot and M30....so. much. FUN. watching skulls go flying en masse....

I got my first 50 to 50 by mainly street sweeping.  I remember, hours in south Skyway, eating through mobs of Lost.  OH WHAT FUN!

THEN, the devs added the mission bonus and made street sweeping a bit less attractive.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #476 on: April 17, 2014, 01:52:43 PM »
Nothing new to report so far - they are apparently doing the big company slow dance. It is normal if anyone has ever worked at a big company.

Honestly this is part of the vetting process. If the buyer gets impatient and squirms instead of acting professionally and calmly - you know there might be a problem with them. I once gave a timeline and I would refer to that again:

Contact with the person who can make the deal and finding out what they want - 1-2 months.
Deal is made and referred to lawyers - 1-2 months.
Transfer of property and rights, signing off on liabilities - 1-2 months.
Getting the game up and running again 1-2 months.

I know we could hear of success in getting the game and the fact they have been given a reasonable price and a name to deal with means step one is well on the way. I was reassured yesterday that whatever happens they will make an announcement on the boards here. I know it is nailbiting to be once again moving forward with a chance!

BenshowSly

• Lieutenant
« Reply #477 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »
Nothing new to report so far - they are apparently doing the big company slow dance. It is normal if anyone has ever worked at a big company.

Honestly this is part of the vetting process. If the buyer gets impatient and squirms instead of acting professionally and calmly - you know there might be a problem with them. I once gave a timeline and I would refer to that again:

Contact with the person who can make the deal and finding out what they want - 1-2 months.
Deal is made and referred to lawyers - 1-2 months.
Transfer of property and rights, signing off on liabilities - 1-2 months.
Getting the game up and running again 1-2 months.

I know we could hear of success in getting the game and the fact they have been given a reasonable price and a name to deal with means step one is well on the way. I was reassured yesterday that whatever happens they will make an announcement on the boards here. I know it is nailbiting to be once again moving forward with a chance!

Pandora Box has been opened... Builds, Powerleveling... Soon, people will have premade team when it will be time to go back. I don't want to say you have lot of pressure but I think you realized that already lol

Keep it up and keep us updated :)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #478 on: April 17, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »

One of the best answers ever. Why people would get bent about how others chose to spend their time in the game was beyond me. For the first 6 years I played I never farmed for the last 2 years I farmed quite a bit. It was fun mowing through the Demon farm with my fire/fire brute...I could do it while watching college football plus I got my hands on a few purples!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #479 on: April 17, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »
I personally never power leveled as such. I would run a few Mission arcs that gave good xp to get me from sewer trial runs at 7 to level 22. In the end you could level really fast doing TF's from a low level. I would run the Sewer Trial and then do the arc in Hallows to get the trancendance arc and run that. Do the Special arcs in Skyway and then run a Positron TF.

I once in a while would solo the old Positron TF - as that gave good merits and xp as well.

Jam in there running the Midnighters and it was hard to get it all in before 22. I would ignore buying IO's until I hit 37ish except for drops. Once I hit 37 I would plan out the finished product. My favorite character was Carillion my Sonic/Ice blaster, she was a tank mage with so many holds, slows and sleeps that I could even tank most AV's with her. I once stood up to a very angry Recluse in the Statesman TF for 30 seconds with her allowing the tank to rez and get back in the game - with a blaster!