Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7210655 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #540 on: April 19, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
Post 371 on page 19 of the thread, Ironwolf posts that they are in talks to purchase the game...and stated he wasn't sure what "the game" entails.  It could very well be EVERYTHING...but it could also be just the IP.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, since it's an old, cobbled together mess (as it has been described), it's EVERYTHING!!!

Reach for the moon...and if you miss, you'll still find yourself among the stars (or something like that).

That's what I'm hoping as well... I've been gaming since 1988, and I have boxes full of classic PC games, my Steam collection is somewhere around 200 PC games, several games on Origin, a Wii, a PS3, and a collection of games for those....and with ALL that gaming, I have not found ONE game that comes close to what playing a Warshade made me feel like.

I for one am keeping my fingers crossed that it is everything.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Triage IV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #541 on: April 19, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
That would be WAY sweet.
Waiting for the day Paragon returns.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #542 on: April 19, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
Post 371 on page 19 of the thread, Ironwolf posts that they are in talks to purchase the game...and stated he wasn't sure what "the game" entails.  It could very well be EVERYTHING...but it could also be just the IP.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, since it's an old, cobbled together mess (as it has been described), it's EVERYTHING!!!

Reach for the moon...and if you miss, you'll still find yourself among the stars (or something like that).
Page 19? This thread has barely hit page 11 for me.

In any event, as you say, it's not clear at this point whether IP refers to the game software itself or just everything else. Now based on what Ironwolf has posted it certainly sounds like the people negotiating to buy the game are doing so because they want to revive the original game. Buying it to use the characters and settings in different game would kind of be missing what the fanbase likes about the game. i've never seen an article on a site, or a post from a fan, that emphasized the story and characters as being more important than the character creation and gameplay. CoH has had some excellent stories, but that's not what drives the loyalty of the fanbase or attracted most players.

If someone did buy the IP and used it to publish a turn-based strategy game or something else unlike the original i don't think most former CoH players would buy it just because you could have Statesman or Lord Hermit as a squad leader. In fact i suspect that many would have the same GFYS response i would if that's what the buyers did with the IP and ignore it because of the IP association. "You bought up CoH just to brand a completely different game with the characters? No. Just no."
So far so good. Onward and upward!

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #543 on: April 19, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »

Yeah, I guess it depends on how you view things on your monitor, what size your monitor is, and how big the type is.... It's on page 28 for me....haha
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #544 on: April 19, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
Making a show of support for a game that was closed a long time ago now might raise the price! I won't tell you what to do but I am just going to hunker down and wait.

Getting everything would be a bonus but I honestly don't know what NCSoft is offering or for what price. I am trying to stay out of the way for the folks working on it and I didn't ask the price because after all it is a business deal we don't want a bidding war. Money saved on the purchase is money spent on development.

For example we now have Jim and his folks who also have an interest in the game. So we say yes, it is this guy and they want this much - now they make an offer too - it muddies the water and causes delay and the price increases. I would do the same if it were Jim's group making the offer and I was in the same position. Ethics and business acumen mean - I tell you what I can without giving away the deal!

very true.. best option is to lay low.. starting making too much noise and they might not want to sell the game or raise the price to a level where it doesnt work for the buyer.. keep hope alive until all I's and T's are dotted and crossed and every signature is in place.. It has to be a DONE DEAL...

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #545 on: April 19, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »

In any event, as you say, it's not clear at this point whether IP refers to the game software itself or just everything else. Now based on what Ironwolf has posted it certainly sounds like the people negotiating to buy the game are doing so because they want to revive the original game. Buying it to use the characters and settings in different game would kind of be missing what the fanbase likes about the game. i've never seen an article on a site, or a post from a fan, that emphasized the story and characters as being more important than the character creation and gameplay. CoH has had some excellent stories, but that's not what drives the loyalty of the fanbase or attracted most players.

If someone did buy the IP and used it to publish a turn-based strategy game or something else unlike the original i don't think most former CoH players would buy it just because you could have Statesman or Lord Hermit as a squad leader. In fact i suspect that many would have the same GFYS response i would if that's what the buyers did with the IP and ignore it because of the IP association. "You bought up CoH just to brand a completely different game with the characters? No. Just no."
City of Heroes Poker!

Recluse has an obvious tell.

Seriously now, I hope nobody would consider that. It would be a mockery at best, an insult at worse.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #546 on: April 19, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
Took me a while, but I have finally finished reading this thread and I am feeling optimistic that one day, I might get to beat something up again. I would love to have my old toons back, but I wouldn't complain if had to start over. I had two accounts with roughly 60 toons and about 20 level 50s. Of those only five or six were incarnates and then only two of them were maxed out. (Brute & Tank)

It's exciting to have the dream return, that one day we might get to see Remaugen android bunnies beating the snot out of street thugs. If I have start over I think I will start with a Ninja Mastermind. . .  ;D

Thanks for restoring the hope, even if it doesn't pan out this time, it is heartening to know that someone is still trying!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #547 on: April 19, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Yeah, I guess it depends on how you view things on your monitor, what size your monitor is, and how big the type is.... It's on page 28 for me....haha
Actually it's in the forum settings where you select how many posts per page to display. i tend to set mine to at least double the default setting.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #548 on: April 19, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
Does anyone think that it might be helpful if the community were to put on a public show of support for the game, something akin to what we did back in the early days after the announcement of the game's closure, to let folks know that there is still a sizable community out here who love CoH and are still very much interested in its revival?

I think it's been plenty demonstrated that there is still a sizable community that is interested. There was the CoT Kickstarter, which raised 3/4 of a million dollars for a completely unseen product, plus the continuing mention of CoH in various articles and interviews by people in the general gaming public. There should be plenty of evidence that people are out there who want it back.

Regarding the lore, I personally found that to be one of the best parts. It was certainly better in the context of being able to create a character to fit in with the lore, which is really something only an MMO can make work as well as it does. I think there are a few ways that a non-MMO game might be able to capture a little bit of what CoH had, but a large part of what made CoH what it was was the community, which would be fundamentally different in a different type of game.

That being said, I wouldn't mind other types of games being created, based on the CoH lore. I never played the card game, for example, but I keep seeing articles about the cards on the Wiki, and it seems like it would be really fun!

Not to mention any single player or table top game wouldn't be able to be taken away.

I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #549 on: April 19, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »
Not to mention any single player or table top game wouldn't be able to be taken away.

I'd also like to point out the potential here, hopefully so it can be brought to the attention of whoever ends up buying the IP (because I'll never give up the hope that it WILL happen), that once it's in the hands of people who care about it, it would be a fantastic idea to implement some sort of offline variant of the game. Phantasy Star Online is a great example in this regard, being that you could log in and play online, or not and play solo in a re-balanced game world with fewer/weaker enemies. The greatest part of the game to me was being able to play online with other people, make new friends, and see other peoples creativity at work with costumes, power combos and how they were used, but in the event that the online game isn't sustainable for a long duration, it would be nice to have some kind of single-player version to fall back on, with recruitable NPC team-mates and such. It would definitely give people some safety net peace of mind in case worse comes to worst.

Either way, I can't imagine that NCSoft would make a deal to sell the IP and not the game itself. It would make no sense. They wouldn't ever be able to use it again after selling IP rights, and if it's such an under-the-hood mess as described then they'd have little reason to want to hold onto it for re-purposing. I'm putting my money on this being a deal for everything. The only thing I'm unsure they'd sell, or even still have, is the customer data such as accounts and character data, etc. etc. A year gone it's a big possibility that they've purged that information from their systems. If so, oh well, universe reboot and we'll just be forced to enjoy what it was like starting a new game all over again, if not... well I'm not sure if they'd be willing to part with that kind of data on the cheap. Either way, wait and see I suppose. Fingers crossed and sending all the best vibes to all involved with the process.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #550 on: April 19, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
I get messages from people now that show we have a lot of friends in places you would never expect.

We have people just like us trying to get their own game back as well. They are cheering us on and want us to succeed or was that suck seeds? I'm not sure how that was worded..............

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #551 on: April 19, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
On one side, that. On the other... a CoH branded SRPG does sound appealing on some level.
City of Heroes Poker!
Recluse has an obvious tell.
Seriously now, I hope nobody would consider that. It would be a mockery at best, an insult at worse.
Villains' Poker Night... would make an awful game, but an excellent punchline to an AE scenario? :p
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #552 on: April 19, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
Someone once reported my Farrokh Balsara toon because he looked like Freddie Mercury. (no action taken) But I guess if he had seen Mr. Blue Suede Shoes or Thin White Duke, he would have a had problem with them too. (all Sonic power sets of some kind)
I wonder if I played with that one.   I remember playing with a Freddie Mercury character who only spoke using titles of Queen songs....cracked everyone up.   "We are the Champions" was obviously used at the end of every fight complete with an emote.   8)

I did a David Lee Roth character...with Sonic of course.   ;D

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #553 on: April 19, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »
WHOA...I nearly had a heart attack there...at first I read that to mean the first stage DIED mid way through...but a second read revealed that's NOT at all what you wrote.

So...

WOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
My same reaction....

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #554 on: April 19, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »
Energy/Energy Blaster had the coolest sounds and graphics!  The knockback and resulting team members' responses are what made me go with other ATs.

When the game is back, I would LOVE to try a knockback team with anyone.  Omega Blue, my Energy/Energy Blapper would LOVE to pull his suit out of the mothballs and get back in action.

I think I ended up PLing him, because I had such a tough time finding teams to level him naturally.
My very first character was an En/En Blaster.   Combine all that KB with the inexperience of a new player?   Yeah...I got kicked from a lot of teams and really had no idea why most of the time.   Someone finally actually told me why they were kicking me at least.   I was upset at the time wondering why they would design the powers in a way that most other players would not like.

But after a while I figured it out.   Use walls....hover above and turn KB into K-down.   Figured out that if I put Power Thrust on auto it would automatically knock any foe away from me if they got too close....that was cool.   Total Focus was very nice too.   Got killed a lot by bosses so having the ability to stun them made me happy (until they took that away for some reason).

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #555 on: April 19, 2014, 11:54:36 PM »
Making a show of support for a game that was closed a long time ago now might raise the price! I won't tell you what to do but I am just going to hunker down and wait.

No worries- that's the sort of feedback I was hoping for. Never having been involved on dealings on this scale, I wasn't sure if it would help or hurt, but you raise a good point. Again, thanks for all your updates and efforts. I'll just keep my fingers crossed over here. :)

Harermuir

• Minion
« Reply #556 on: April 20, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
It may even be more a hurt than just increasing saling price. Ncsoft may take that as an attempt to force them to sell, and then choose not to sell. It may even be the reason why there was no deal earlier.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #557 on: April 20, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »
Well im making new Mids Builds just in case !!!!

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #558 on: April 20, 2014, 11:59:03 PM »
Hey Chompers, watching Superman's and Batman's 75th shorts... got me thinking again about COX and seeing this thread is not something I expected. I may not be around but not a day goes by where I think of this game and it's community.  I'm still fighting in my own way.

/em Hold torch. To those who have kept up the fight, thank you.  I'm only tentatively hopeful but hope is better than nothing.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #559 on: April 21, 2014, 02:42:48 AM »
When the game comes back, what I do depends on if my account was preserved.  If not, i'll quickly spend some money to buy time manipulation and masterminds.  Then i'll start either a time manipulation corruptor, or a mastermind.  Either way i'd have a nice, fun powerful character.

Edit: If on the other hand it is preserved, i'll start runnin teams again and then get to running incarnate trials.

Either way in regards to account status, i'd also be happy to introduce some of the friends I made in CO who had gotten bored of CO for...clear...reasons.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:56:34 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.