Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7286448 times)

SpectaPhantom

• Minion
  • Ghost of Living Past
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #8020 on: August 01, 2014, 04:07:48 AM »
If that last bit is true it didn't solve crap. SS and the various stealths, including Illusion would still get through maps and TP teams to the end. I did it a lot specially in task forces or cot maps.
Triumph Search and Rescue - TSAR Deputy Chief
"Heroes Helping Heroes"

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #8021 on: August 01, 2014, 05:12:52 AM »
The difference between stealth powers and phase shift is you can still be hurt when in stealth, not to mention the various enemies that could see right through it (Rikti drones, etc)

Phase shift was a complete immortality button to everything except Hami. The devs didn't like that one bit.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #8022 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
The difference between stealth powers and phase shift is you can still be hurt when in stealth, not to mention the various enemies that could see right through it (Rikti drones, etc)

Phase shift was a complete immortality button to everything except Hami. The devs didn't like that one bit.

Only Rikti drones saw through the Invisibility power.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8023 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »
That is simply not true.
PS was also changed to a click because of the clicky farming. There were a few maps where each glowie would reward the team xp, and you could click glowies while in PS. What basically happened was that they would enter the map, the one with PS would go through the map and click glowies until there was only one left, and then they'd reset the map.
Rinse, Wash, Repeat for tons of free XP/PL

That and the tactic of clearing missions by phaseshifting to the boss, losing aggro and teleporting the team in was making it very easy to clear even the toughest missions in no time.

The XP was not that great when they made that change and as people stated I use my stealth on my Ill/rad troller and do the recall to glowies . Heck I had the entire team sit at the door and clear the map of glowies and that was in i6 and on the change was because of PVP. The glowie clicking for xp was still easy with stealth and if you had any stealth + super speed it was a complete joke.

Deadflame2

• Not quite as dead as Deadflame1
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8024 on: August 01, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
As long as your duo partner knows your play style you're in for a world of fun.

Duo-ing.  Was my favourite way to play.  Even over soloing.

I thought I was the only one!  Lol.  I do love my soloing, but I loved duo's even more.  I've had a few friends over the years of CoH that I duo'd with a LOT.  I miss having that friend where you could say "I just had a wicked idea..." and they would be "Sold!  Let's do it!"

*sigh*
Reminder: No game = No data, no characters...nothing.  However, no data/characters != No game.

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8025 on: August 01, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
I thought I was the only one!  Lol.  I do love my soloing, but I loved duo's even more.  I've had a few friends over the years of CoH that I duo'd with a LOT.  I miss having that friend where you could say "I just had a wicked idea..." and they would be "Sold!  Let's do it!"

*sigh*

*Nods.

**Understands.  It's that feeling of understanding a fellow player's play style more completely.  Knowing how they play in combat.  And having somebody watch your back when the odds are stacked against you.  We'd push it from x2 to x8.  +1 to +2.  Without bosses.  With bosses.  It was interesting to see how you could 'stack' same alts or try complimentary ones.  Duo-ing.  Yes.  Had most of my fun duo-ing.  It's great when you get that telepathic 'understanding'...and yes, the odd sense of mischief.

eg.  Tank waits for a devices blaster to plant his device land mines.  (In teams, most lack patience for this.)  But it was great to pull a mob to the land mines.  'BooOM!'  Then they are caltropped as well and can't get off the caltrops as the flamethrower is char grilling them...while the SS/Invul' tanker puts the hurt down.  eg.  Double spines regen scrappers using quills and spine burst to eviscerate mobs.

Count the ways...count the ways...

Azrael.

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8026 on: August 01, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
*Nods.

**Understands.  It's that feeling of understanding a fellow player's play style more completely.  Knowing how they play in combat.  And having somebody watch your back when the odds are stacked against you.  We'd push it from x2 to x8.  +1 to +2.  Without bosses.  With bosses.  It was interesting to see how you could 'stack' same alts or try complimentary ones.  Duo-ing.  Yes.  Had most of my fun duo-ing.  It's great when you get that telepathic 'understanding'...and yes, the odd sense of mischief.

I loved duo-ing in CoX.  I have a close buddy who I still game with to this day.  He and I met in CoX.  It was the same thing.  When you know a fellow player enough, that duo connection really shines.  For example, we would to "skeet shooting".  Knocking hellions/skulls off of a building while the blaster tries to snipe the critter before it hits the ground.  We had a few of those that worked great and it was...  Wait for it...  a BLAST.  Yeah, I went there.  Cue the bad pun collective groan.

Another was Hellion/Skull "Volleyball".  NRG blaster and a bubble defender.  Keep the volley going till the critter croaks...

And the missions that would fly by, the connection to where nothing needs to be said over Voice chat, just a knowledge of what needs to be done and proper execution.

To this day, every game that friend of mine and I play, we have that connection.  SWTOR, LOTRO, WoW, it does not matter.  That connection is always there.

And if we can use it in Paragon City again at some point, all the better!

Deadflame2

• Not quite as dead as Deadflame1
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8027 on: August 01, 2014, 02:16:51 PM »
*Nods.

**Understands.

I was also really big on themed duo's .  <3  Sadly most that I played with have disappeared.  Oh well!  I look forward to making new friends when the game returns.  In the meantime, I've settled on DCUO until something better comes along.
Reminder: No game = No data, no characters...nothing.  However, no data/characters != No game.

Sophronisba

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8028 on: August 01, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »
I dreamed last night that City of Heroes came back and we were all invited to the studio to see the beta in person. And there was some kind of new crafting system that involved cooking food for our characters. And Positron was there.

Perhaps a little too much wine last night.

hufish

• Minion
« Reply #8029 on: August 01, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »
I dreamed last night that City of Heroes came back and we were all invited to the studio to see the beta in person. And there was some kind of new crafting system that involved cooking food for our characters. And Positron was there.

Perhaps a little too much wine last night.
I dreamed the new devs licensed out a restaurant chain of Up 'n' Away Burgers in the real world....

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8030 on: August 01, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »

*sigh*

I had a lot of fun with a buddy when we would duo my fire/sd scrapper with his elec/sd scrapper. I could solo a lot of the AV's with my st dps and add in his and it was a cake walk but running at the max mob settings getting to the av was fun he had the most aoe. fire/sd aoe was good his was ridiculous but we would gather up mobs then bam lay the wood down tons of dead mobs it was fun and yes both builds where IO'd out.

We also duo two Ill trollers I was rad and he was kinetic that was just a map of chaos of Perma PA

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #8031 on: August 01, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »
Just gonna throw it out there that a couple of the quotes attributed to me here (http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.msg153146.html#msg153146) are actually from Burnt Toast, but I guess his quote line got clipped in editing that post.

As for PvP skill, guess I just never truly gave it enough of a chance to develop.  Probably helped that I was playing an Empath without a clue. :)  Ah well ... I did get to intimately examine the granular composition of many sections of the ground/terrain. :)  I wonder if an Empathy/ could stand toe-to-toe with say a Tank or a Stalker for more than 5 seconds?

I usually used my blaster in PvP, but I think I took my empath in from time to time. As long as you had help, and didn't stand still, you could do... all right. The biggest thing was giving allies clear mind to help with +Perception, so they could see stealthed enemies. And in some lucky cases, an enemy wouldn't have enough damage to overcome RA + your heals. The main issue with empaths is that their power set is oriented towards giving others buffs, so you didn't have a lot to help yourself with if you were alone.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

ooglymoogly

• Underling
« Reply #8032 on: August 01, 2014, 03:22:46 PM »

*sigh*

yeah one of my oldest friends and I started the game together when it came out. We ended up meeting a number of people in game that also became friends and when I wasn't soloing or we weren't duoing we'd all group up - though we never did get around to forming an SG for some reason. laziness probably.

anyway, one of the more memorable and enjoyable times duoing was in sirens call. i'd spun up a ninja blade stalker with teleport and he had his trusty inv/em tanker. after getting slapped around by any number of spines/regen scrappers on 1 particular day i was perched up on a war wall right above the exit to steel canyon why he was off laughing at the scrappers. on a lark i tried teleport other on a toon leaving the zone and it worked. later that day we had a good laugh semi-griefing people by TPing them up there as they were leaving zone - he'd hit them with energy transfer and me with assassination. worked better (and less griefy) when i found this alcove on the road to the hospital/steel canyon exit where i could pull flyers and runners who then found themselves in a box and getting hit by the energy transfer/assassination combo.

it was good fun all in all, especially when i was running that scheme for the nth time and another couple guys figured it out and knew where we were set up to ambush. they sent one guy running along as bait and when i went to TP him i instead found myself TP'ed and skewered by a couple of other stalkers/scrappers. still snicker about that almost 10 years later.

all in all we certainly got as much as we gave but there were never any hard feelings as we'd be chatting with most people before/during/after just having a laugh. the initial couple of months of pvp was actually pretty fun. overall tho i was never a fan and didn't miss it dying out for the most part. i did thoroughly love the duoing gameplay.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #8033 on: August 01, 2014, 03:44:42 PM »
I had a lot of fun with a buddy when we would duo my fire/sd scrapper with his elec/sd scrapper. I could solo a lot of the AV's with my st dps and add in his and it was a cake walk but running at the max mob settings getting to the av was fun he had the most aoe. fire/sd aoe was good his was ridiculous but we would gather up mobs then bam lay the wood down tons of dead mobs it was fun and yes both builds where IO'd out.

We also duo two Ill trollers I was rad and he was kinetic that was just a map of chaos of Perma PA

I have a friend who goes by the moniker "Sparky," and we were exactly like that.... I can't count the number of hours we spent on Skype/Ventrilo discussing various Mid's builds, checking over each other's "work," and then testing those builds out with each other.... So much fun when you have someone else that likes to do the same things as you! But, I also liked that, since he lives in a country halfway around the world, I could still solo when he wasn't online. It's hard to get that kind of play diversity (fun when solo, fun when duoing, fun when on a task force) in many other games. They are usually strong in one area and weak in another. CoH had it all.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #8034 on: August 01, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
Only Rikti drones saw through the Invisibility power.

And nemesis snipers too.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8035 on: August 01, 2014, 05:05:29 PM »

Duos do make sense as a lot of couples played Coh.  Sometimes teams for an afternoon would include one or two couples.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8036 on: August 01, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »
And nemesis snipers too.

Also the Knives of Artemis, as I recall. I hated going up against them for just that reason - well, that and the infernal caltrops.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

hejtmane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8037 on: August 01, 2014, 05:09:11 PM »
Also the Knives of Artemis, as I recall. I hated going up against them for just that reason - well, that and the infernal caltrops.

Unless you had hover then you laugh at Knives but I rarely had hover curse you Knives of Artemis (shakes his scrapper fist)

Acanous

• Beef Ingot
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8038 on: August 01, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
Just imagine if it's Bioware.

Ok, I know that's not very likely, but that trailer had me wondering XD

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #8039 on: August 01, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
Brutes had similar DEF to Scrappers, right? I remember my SS/Invul Brute... and I was disappointed how mediocre Invul performed with her. I first assumed it was a lower level quirk and it would sort itself out later. So I soldiered on and got her to 50 and it was still pretty underwhelming. Deleted her and remade her with Willpower instead and she was a thousand times better. I had an Invul tank after that and noticed the difference.

I'm sorry if my posts seem kind of random and out of nowhere in between other discussions going on. Just sort of going with whatever pops into my head about the game that I can somewhat remember. A lot of things I used to have committed to memory are a little fuzzy after all this time.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse