Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7283104 times)

SteveTheDwarf

• Minion
  • For the little people!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #10140 on: August 28, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
Been catching up after a few busy days, so here's my thought on the "big topic"right now it seems.

I, like a lot of people, would prefer past character data to exist. I understand people wanting low level zones populated, but at least on my server, Pinnacle, there was consistently plenty of people in the zone.

I was never in a big SG or VG, quite the opposite. I ran my own on both sides, only having about 5-10 people in them. I did, however, belong to a global chat channel with a very large number of players, that always had a few willing to do any kind of teaming. So even though I was not in one of the major sg/vg I could always get almost any SF, TF,Trial or iTrial going pretty much any time I wanted to. I remember doing itrials at 3 am before I called it a night.

While I know not everyone was able to do this, having everyone start at level 1 again, and therefore a lot of people in starting zones at once, does not guarantee anything other than street sweeping missions will take awhile to get done.  I leveled a lot solo, my first 50 red side was entirely done solo. When the game comes back, if we don't have characters I will team with probably only my close friends for awhile.

As for people worried about the super rich people, there are so many stories people have shared,  even more people haven't I'd wager, of them giving away millions just because they can. Opening the game up and some big money costume contests going on would probably be an awesome thing for a new player to see. I remember logging into Virtue once with a brand new hero and I was met at steps by Ms.Liberty and a person gave me 100 mil with a tell saying "welcome to virtue".

Thanks for reading.

I also agree that marketing on Steam, as well as more traditionally would be a good idea. Seems to work for the ones on there already.
Steve the Dwarf 
Lvl 50 Invulnerablity / Energy Melee / Fire Mastery Tank
Pinnacle server

Pinnbadges will always be the greatest channel ever.

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10141 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
If it was their first toon that got them to lvl 50, it's possible they never saw a Dark Defender in action.   I know I missed seeing one for a long time.   I'm trying to remember if I ever saw one before I made my own on a whim once.

I got that one to 50 and boy am I glad I did.   Absolutely loved playing her.   Being a Controller type, it felt just right to me.   The debuffing madness by itself just made me giddy.   And if you spend much time around Fire Imps, Fluffy is a joy of a pet.  Sooo smart in comparison.  (He's cute too)   I didn't play Defenders enough to know how that set compared with others, but I know my Dark/Dark was fun to solo at lvl 50.   Taking my time to set up and plan an attack made me happy.

Well, there were other archetypes that had Dark Miasma--my level 50 with it was actually a Thugs/Dark Mastermind. (Best moment with her was fighting Manticore during the Gally Ido arc from Westin Phipps. Rounded the corner to see Manticore right in front of me, saying, "Don't worry, I have enough arrows for you." Popped Dark Servant and Gang War. Something like twenty extra guys showed up. Manticore did not, as it turned out, have enough arrows for them too.)

But yes, you are correct, ignorance of how other powersets work is not itself a sin. Coupling that with a "Listen to me, I'm playing a Kheld so you know I know how this game works" attitude, well...that was less so. :) His debt was unmourned.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10142 on: August 28, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
If it has to be, I'd hope that it's be available outside of Steam, too. As I think someone else expressed earlier, I don't like the idea of someone monitoring my gameplay. (We live in enough of a surveillance state, as it is.)
Exactly.  I stay the hell away from Steam.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10143 on: August 28, 2014, 11:11:51 PM »

Why? Just curious.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10144 on: August 28, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »

My grocery-store loyalty card isn't registered under any name or contact info, and I pay cash with it. And my sister asked me to get on Facebook to play Words with Friends with her, but, since they have privacy prolems and require a phone number, I'd probably buy a burner phone to help set up a fake account. I do NOT like the idea that I'm being monitored and tracked.

People will argue, "Even without being on the Internet, there's so little privacy these days; what's the use in trying?" By that reasoning, they should be leaving their house and car doors unlocked, since a determined thief will find a way, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:22:27 PM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10145 on: August 28, 2014, 11:21:31 PM »
Great to see a more precise value, so in other words they really need to host these themselves or server farm costs will eat them up.

On another note - I really don't care if people think this is all a hoax because the "goal they were shooting for is August" was not met dead on time. Things running a bit late due to the technical expertise project and my not asking for updates due to the Massively article are making things stay quiet.

If you can't understand the entire NCSoft does not want this to be done publicly thing - I can't help you. That things are going to stay quiet until near the end is now likely. I am not doing it out of spite but out of caution and I am sorry.

I would rather have the bunch of nasty gram emails from a few folks than not get the game back. I read this site daily still but I have held back a bit for obvious reasons.

Sounds like you are still cautiously optimistic. Considering you are the closest thing we have to someone on the inside, I'll take that as a good sign.

Of course, you could always go the "we're getting warmer" route. :)
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10146 on: August 28, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »
We switched from Sun to Linux where I work and the license for our servers was over $100,000 per year - per machine. Switching to open source saved hundreds of millions a year.

It took us 3 years to roll it all out!

And the really silly part is they can pretty much be used identically. Pull open a command window in Linux and it's almost identical to a Solaris command window... Bash is bash... or whatever shell you want to use.

And now I have to make a Water character. Was never really sure about it. Loved the smash it had but not sure about it's single target abilities... I have too many toons waiting to be made.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Amonosolete

• Underling
« Reply #10147 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:17 PM »
I've been lurking around this thread since page 300 or so and decided to make an account. Very excited to hear that there is still hope alive to bring our city back! I began playing heroes around issue 3 and stayed until the very end.

Over on Facebook, Robert DiGregorio posted some news to the group CoH Survivors. I thought that I would keep everyone in the loop. Here is what he said:

"  ***MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT***
I have learned today that the deal that has been talked about through Iron Wolf, that many have been saying is a hoax due to the lack of information.... Is actually 100% factual.
I cannot reveal the details that have been told of the deal, or give you a time line. I can however tell you this;
I had my doubts as many of you do. I was not going to take no for an answer and did my digging, poking and prodding... And stuck my nose where it probably did not belong.
Iron Wolf relented and gave me some information on who exactly is behind the deal, I have spoke with them at great lengths, and I have been told to tell you all to please be patient, and you will have some solid answers VERY SOON.
Again I assure you, this deal is NOT A HOAX, and IS moving forward as planned. "

In the comments section he posted this:

" Robert DiGregorio: You'll be hearing more on the 1st trust me "
" Robert DiGregorio: MONDAY.... stay tuned "
" Robert DiGregorio: Monday, an announcement will be made about the identity of those behind the deal to purchase CoH. They MAY also decide at that time to reveal the plan for when the deal goes through. "

So apparently we will have an update about the situation on Monday the 1st?
Don't know how reliable his information is as opposed to Ironwolf's, but I thought I'd keep people informed.

Keep the hope alive!

(Edited to add more information)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 11:58:08 PM by Calx »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10148 on: August 28, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »
I tend to doubt that Ironwolf would say anything to anyone at this point in time.

Not that I'm not hoping to hear good news soon, but I tend to doubt this is legitimate.

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #10149 on: August 28, 2014, 11:35:16 PM »
Was coming to post what Calx did when I saw the notification that a new post had been made.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #10150 on: August 28, 2014, 11:38:11 PM »
My brain went through this process:

"Yay, if news will be on the 1st I can relax till then!"

"...yes, even if you could believe that 100% you are COMPLETELY capable of that level of patience."

"Don't be a jerk to me, brain."

"You bring it on yourself!"
Woo! - Argent Girl

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #10151 on: August 28, 2014, 11:40:26 PM »
I've been lurking around this thread since page 300 or so and decided to make an account. Very excited to hear that there is still hope alive to bring our city back! I began playing heroes around issue 3 and stayed until the very end.

Over on Facebook, Robert DiGregorio posted some news to the group CoH Survivors. I thought that I would keep everyone in the loop. Here is what he said:

I have learned today that the deal that has been talked about through Iron Wolf, that many have been saying is a hoax due to the lack of information.... Is actually 100% factual.
I cannot reveal the details that have been told of the deal, or give you a time line. I can however tell you this;
I had my doubts as many of you do. I was not going to take no for an answer and did my digging, poking and prodding... And stuck my nose where it probably did not belong.
Iron Wolf relented and gave me some information on who exactly is behind the deal, I have spoke with them at great lengths, and I have been told to tell you all to please be patient, and you will have some solid answers VERY SOON.
Again I assure you, this deal is NOT A HOAX, and IS moving forward as planned. "

Don't know how reliable his information is as opposed to Ironwolf's, but I thought I'd keep people informed.

Keep the hope alive!

That sounds pretty exciting--assuming it's not a troll post.

If it's not, I'm a little miffed that the Facebook peeps (the ones Ironwolf has been saying caused the most trouble) are the first ones to get this sort of update instead of those of us who have kept our mouths shut and stayed true to checking this thread regularly.

No hard feelings--just a little miffed.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10152 on: August 28, 2014, 11:41:04 PM »

Oooo... that can be a problem. Like Ironwolf said, it will get here when it gets here. Unless Robert DiGregorio is Ironwolf in real life, I wouldn't believe anything with hard dates attached with it unless it comes from Ironwolf himself.

Surelle

« Reply #10153 on: August 28, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
Apparently this Facebook guy edited his post and took the dates out of it (unless there's another post I can't see).   :)  It's still on the front page there right now anyway; scroll down.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/CoHSurvivors/

***MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT***

Again I assure you, this deal is NOT A HOAX, and IS moving forward as planned.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10154 on: August 28, 2014, 11:48:47 PM »
I think if this guy were Iron Wolf, he'd've posted something along the same lines here, too. As one of the people he was responding to, I'm taking it with a highly amused grain of salt and moving on with my four day weekend.

Anyone else still use Pine? :D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Amonosolete

• Underling
« Reply #10155 on: August 28, 2014, 11:50:24 PM »
Apparently this Facebook guy edited his post and took the dates out of it.   :)  It's still on the front page there right now anyway; scroll down.

He didn't actually have the date of Monday the 1st in the post, he said that in the comments. Looks like the comments are still there, too. Who knows!

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #10156 on: August 29, 2014, 12:04:36 AM »
In the end, as in the beginning, we really just have to wait and see, and cheer on those responsible for giving us this chance to hope again :)

I've been reading arcs over on redtomax for a bit of a diversion, and paragon wiki is a great way to lose some time to make the days go faster!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10157 on: August 29, 2014, 12:06:29 AM »

Keep the hope alive!
while this sounds interesting, I would maintain distance from anything on fb, if it does not come from Wolf or Tony V this news should be taken with a grain of salt.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

plutocracy

• Underling
« Reply #10158 on: August 29, 2014, 12:09:25 AM »
if it does not come from Wolf or Tony V this news should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'm taking it with a highly amused grain of salt and moving on with my four day weekend.

granted my experience with RDG started with CoH Survivors and has been largely limited to him having to mop up trolls that some of my threads and comments had been attracting at one point, but he's a stand-up guy and I trust that if he says he caught on to something and there's big news come Monday, I'm making damn sure that my calendar is clean for those 24 hours

I'll give you that caution is the better part of valor, but he doesn't have anything to gain from rumor-mongering at this stage either, so I'm going to allow myself a little optimism for a change

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10159 on: August 29, 2014, 12:17:07 AM »
Why? Just curious.
General policy - it's a deal-breaker for me if a game can be played offline, but is crippled/restricted to only be playable with a constant online connection just because the game company wants to monitor/control my playing, then I don't go anywhere near them.  For instance, I very much like The Sims 3, but won't go near the latest Sim City.  That's the way Steam operates, so I don't go anywhere near them.