Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7213099 times)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #11600 on: September 16, 2014, 03:35:39 AM »
In fairness, when I talked to other gamers about CoH while the game was still live, they always said that the reason they quit (or never bothered picking up the game) was that there was "nothing to do" once you hit the level cap. The people who played loved making alts (including me--I had 80 or so), but Positron had a point when he said that lack of endgame content was limiting their audience.

When my toons hit 50, most of them went into semi-retirement. Before too long I started to loose interest in playing, I would often skip months at a time between loggons. When the Incarnate stuff was when my interest really returned, I couldn't stay away after that! I had tons of alts and tons of 50s but I really needed more end game so I cannot complain about it at all! Gimme more!

We're almost there!   ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #11601 on: September 16, 2014, 03:45:36 AM »
Er, well, the latter is much more potentially interesting?

Well, there's a concrete example here; CoX did perfectly well for many years with zero end-game grind other than occasional Hami raids, but with facilities for rampant altoholism.

On the face of it, it seems to me that if one must repeat the same content - and given that content can only be written so fast, one must if one is to stay with the game - repeating it with radically different powers is much more interesting than repeating it with the same powers for the chance of a purple drop. But, all the evidence says I'm the exception there. :-/

Except that incarnate trials were not a grind...

In other mmos you roll for the loot; in incarnate trials everyone gets something.
In other mmos loot drops and often times not the part you need; in incarnate trials you can convert pieces you dont need for what you actually do need.
In other mmos you need a gear score; in incarnate trials a fresh level 50 could participate due to the scaling difficulty of older to new trials.
In other mmos previous raid content becomes obsolite; In incarnate trials every trial could be run to make progress towards all incarnate powers and rewards.
In other mmos you need a tank and healers no exceptions; In incarnate trials, hell all of CoX this generally wasn't needed but it helped
In other mmos when you die you have to wait until everyone is out of combat and try again; In incarnate trials you hospital and wait on a very short timer or be revived. And with no harsh limits on reviving like other mmos have.
In other mmos you may never get your loot; In incarnate trials even if you only get threads you will eventually be able to put pieces together.

I'm sure If I stopped to think for awhile I could add more pros for cox form of endgame because it's simply not fair to compare it to the overused system other games have.

I know I'm biased because I love incarnate trials but honestly If we never got incarnate trials I probably wouldn't have played nearly as much as I had. I was at the point where the options on what to do were getting limited after countless alts. Same for my friends and like many of us had requested for years... "Give us more to do with our 50's" and we finally got it!

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11602 on: September 16, 2014, 03:52:36 AM »
Didn't incarnate trials award good performance?

I know for a fact on my crabbermind I basically ALWAYS (Not an exaggeration) got oranges and purples (Usually in BAF, where i'd basically solo two doors at once), while on the stalker I basically didn't get much usually.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #11603 on: September 16, 2014, 04:35:50 AM »
Didn't incarnate trials award good performance?

I know for a fact on my crabbermind I basically ALWAYS (Not an exaggeration) got oranges and purples (Usually in BAF, where i'd basically solo two doors at once), while on the stalker I basically didn't get much usually.
yeah to discourage those that would afk. Unfortunately a bug was never fixed and some would always get the threads only reward. Although even on my support only characters I never ran into this problem. But they sorta countered that with trials like UGT and I think MoM? Those had a guaranteed rare /very rare reward.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #11604 on: September 16, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »
When my toons hit 50, most of them went into semi-retirement. Before too long I started to loose interest in playing, I would often skip months at a time between loggons. When the Incarnate stuff was when my interest really returned, I couldn't stay away after that! I had tons of alts and tons of 50s but I really needed more end game so I cannot complain about it at all! Gimme more!

We're almost there!   ;D

This and folks just look at the word alt in his post. This is the only ALT friendly endgame system in existence. They even gave us the ability to send threads to alts in the mail at one point with some sort of token thing. So that character that didn't get cool stuff? Break down all those oranges and purples into threads and mail em to the bad luck alt.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #11605 on: September 16, 2014, 05:03:52 AM »
I discovered the trick to purples was farming Recluses Victory. At least it worked for me.

We're almost there!    ;D
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #11606 on: September 16, 2014, 05:12:37 AM »
We're almost there!    ;D

I do wish you'd stop saying that.  It's getting a bit annoying now and it's not even true.  We're no closer to being there than we were the day Ironwolf first told us this was going on!

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #11607 on: September 16, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
I don't really understand why you feel that way, oh well. Don't let it bother you, it's no skin off your nose if I am wrong. If we disagree then that's fine, but I refuse to curb my enthusiasm and I'm certainly not hurting anything or anyone.

I am still thinking Halloweenish for a legacy launch. Yes, I could easily be wrong, but I got that feeling, and so I will continue to say:

We're almost there!   ;D

(heh, It's better than "Are we there yet?   ;D")
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11608 on: September 16, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »
I also find it kind of annoying. I've had a couple people mention it also, outside of the forum. Since you're putting it on 99% of your posts, it's basically part of your signature. So please put it in your signature so that people can turn off viewing it? (And also so that it's slightly de-emphasized.)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #11609 on: September 16, 2014, 05:46:01 AM »
I also find it kind of annoying. I've had a couple people mention it also, outside of the forum. Since you're putting it on 99% of your posts, it's basically part of your signature. So please put it in your signature so that people can turn off viewing it? (And also so that it's slightly de-emphasized.)

Done, though I really don't understand why it is an issue.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11610 on: September 16, 2014, 05:51:34 AM »
I do wish you'd stop saying that.  It's getting a bit annoying now and it's not even true.  We're no closer to being there than we were the day Ironwolf first told us this was going on!

if we knew there was ANY negotiation going on, we might be almost there..but we dont. we could be sitting here 6 months from now...

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11611 on: September 16, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »
I don't really understand why you feel that way, oh well. Don't let it bother you, it's no skin off your nose if I am wrong. If we disagree then that's fine, but I refuse to curb my enthusiasm and I'm certainly not hurting anything or anyone.

I am still thinking Halloweenish for a legacy launch. Yes, I could easily be wrong, but I got that feeling, and so I will continue to say:

We're almost there!   ;D

(heh, It's better than "Are we there yet?   ;D")

If it happens this year I would lean more towards Winter Season then Halloween.  It would be nice because then we can get the ski chalet open.

Also I agree that your catch phrase is best served as your signature.  I myself have adopted a....HOPEFUL....signature.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #11612 on: September 16, 2014, 06:21:23 AM »

Done, though I really don't understand why it is an issue.

Because it's mis-representing the current situation. We are NOT "almost there". We still have a long long road to travel, and the bus is late.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11613 on: September 16, 2014, 06:35:57 AM »
you guys are really getting testy over someone elses enthusiasm... thats kinda sad IMO

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #11614 on: September 16, 2014, 06:39:41 AM »
you guys are really getting testy over someone elses enthusiasm... thats kinda sad IMO

I don't wish to kill his enthusiasm, be he needs to temper it with a little reality.  The odds are still very much against us, after all.

Once NCSoft sign a contract to sell CoH, THEN people can correctly claim to be "almost there".  Until then,
it's a false statement. 

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11615 on: September 16, 2014, 06:42:22 AM »
No one's getting testy over anything. However, if you write something at the end of (basically) every one of your posts, consider putting it in your signature because some people aren't interested in seeing the same thing repeatedly, over and over. Signatures are where you put things you want attached to every post. They're de-emphasized so that people who aren't interested can easily gloss over them, and there's a forum option to turn them off entirely if someone doesn't want to see them at all.

We can stop this line of chat since Remaugen shifted it to a signature, and now we can talk about the new efforts again. Or just wait patiently.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #11616 on: September 16, 2014, 06:45:04 AM »
I made the change at the request of the Mod, but honestly, how did it hurt anyone or anything?

If I am wrong, so what? Who really cares? Why should they care? It's not like I am considered an authority on anything by anyone.

Are you worried that I might be right?  :P 
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11617 on: September 16, 2014, 09:27:01 AM »
Alts are awesome.

Although it might be a stretch to say Posi was anti-alt. He simply stated a conclusion that alts may have had a negative effect.
Whatever the truth, it was the ability to make nearly limitless costumes that intrigued so many.

I don't think Positron was anti-alt.  I think he believed supporting alts was more difficult (it was) and promoted a completely different gaming environment (it does) and it wasn't an expected outcome (because all prior experience would lead most people to believe that a player who did not fall in love with their character and want to spend time nurturing it would be more likely to quit playing than make an entire stable of less fixated alternative characters.

It seems so obvious now, but it was not obvious in 2004.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11618 on: September 16, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
I don't wish to kill his enthusiasm, be he needs to temper it with a little reality.

I agree.  Lets get back to discussing which quantum reality our superpowered magical technomutants will emerge from when they return to fighting alien criminal shapeshifting vampire drug dealing pirate ghosts.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #11619 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
I agree.  Lets get back to discussing which quantum reality our superpowered magical technomutants will emerge from when they return to fighting alien criminal shapeshifting vampire drug dealing pirate ghosts.
I see what you did there...
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.