Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7323950 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #12240 on: October 02, 2014, 03:34:43 AM »
It is the weirdest thing. I have this distinct memory of entering from another zone and being right there at the start of one of the paths. Must have been a dream. I was pretty consumed by this game when it first arrived. I would actually eat my meals at my PC desk.

Could you be thinking of the Hollows?  There were parklike areas of the Hollows from...Steel?  Gads, I thought I'd never forget... :gonk:
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Kelltick

• Boss
« Reply #12241 on: October 02, 2014, 04:25:52 AM »
Could you be thinking of the Hollows?  There were parklike areas of the Hollows from...Steel?  Gads, I thought I'd never forget... :gonk:

Hollows connected to Skyway.

Steel was AP and Perez in the South, Siren's along the East, Boomtown in the North, and IP in the West.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #12242 on: October 02, 2014, 04:32:40 AM »
It's not the Hollows. I'm sure I must have dreamt it. I spent so much time playing in the beginning, I would literally fall asleep at my keyboard.

Man, how I miss this game.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #12243 on: October 02, 2014, 05:32:54 AM »
It is the weirdest thing. I have this distinct memory of entering from another zone and being right there at the start of one of the paths. Must have been a dream. I was pretty consumed by this game when it first arrived. I would actually eat my meals at my PC desk.

I did that, before COX, during COX, and still do.  In fact, I'm *takes a bite* phdophffingmnnb mmnthatmphph mphnowllmph.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #12244 on: October 02, 2014, 06:09:01 AM »
It's not the Hollows. I'm sure I must have dreamt it. I spent so much time playing in the beginning, I would literally fall asleep at my keyboard.

I know what you mean, I farmed so much that I'd have dreams of farming. Then when I woke up I'd check my alt trying to figure which one got the purple I'd remember dropping. LOL!

I still do from time to time..... :(

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #12245 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »

Heh. My keyboard has acquired more than a few crumbs while working on Revival, and certainly got plenty while playing CoH.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12246 on: October 02, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »

According to the map, the east entrance to the walled off area was directly adjacent to the Atlas Park gate.  It may very well be that you entered from AP, saw the woods through the entrance, and made a beeline for that area without regarding the buildings and streets around you.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12247 on: October 02, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
That's a very particular situation, but I'm not sure how to reconcile a company's need to make money by shutting down a game eventually with a clause in the EULA or something that says "this game will run forever!" Because even if a company runs servers, there might not be players.

The obvious answer is that the money made now by promoting that promise to the existing large playerbase is worth the possibility of losing much smaller sums of money on a tiny playerbase somewhere down the line, just as in other contexts a company may promise to support a mainframe operating system for decades - not to make money in decades, but to make money now.

(This was driven home to me when looking at life memberships to STO; the small print says explicitly that they make no representations as to how long the game will run. Now, they have the whim of an upstream rights holder to deal with, but I'm guessing they'd make more money on life memberships if they could say instead that they promise you'll never lose money on one; buy one today, and the game will run for at least (life membership cost / subscription cost) time from today).

The less obvious answer is - if one doesn't have an upstream rights holder - to include a provision that if player numbers fall below some n, the game will be sold (whether or not the company thinks the price is right), imposing a like condition on the buyer. The last six players can buy the game themselves.

Surelle

« Reply #12248 on: October 02, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »
Heh. My keyboard has acquired more than a few crumbs while working on Revival, and certainly got plenty while playing CoH.

I'm an inveterate tea drinker.  I always burn out the bottom row of keys sooner or later.   ;)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12249 on: October 02, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
I'm an inveterate tea drinker.  I always burn out the bottom row of keys sooner or later.   ;)
Drinking a cup of Tetleys right now. I drink a lot of tea, usually Celestial Detox or Bigelow's Lemon Ginger and the occasional Tetleys with milk, no sugar.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #12250 on: October 02, 2014, 03:09:48 PM »
Matcha is my tea.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

PsiBug

• Minion
  • Hi everybuggy!
« Reply #12251 on: October 02, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
According to the map, the east entrance to the walled off area was directly adjacent to the Atlas Park gate.  It may very well be that you entered from AP, saw the woods through the entrance, and made a beeline for that area without regarding the buildings and streets around you.

Or possibly been on a team and gotten unexpectedly teleported from any Perez gate directly to the forest path!

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #12252 on: October 02, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Matcha is my tea.

I prefer Oolong is that odd for a yankee of Swiss heritage?

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12253 on: October 02, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »
Some weird happened to me. All I lost all interest in playing any games, and CoX is on my mind. Hopefully Borderlands Pre-Sequel can cure this for the time being.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #12254 on: October 02, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Some weird happened to me. All I lost all interest in playing any games, and CoX is on my mind. Hopefully Borderlands Pre-Sequel can cure this for the time being.

Oh man I know that feeling, you go into like a video game limbo, everything seems boring to you :(

I already told all my friends im uninstalling steam and every other program that won't be related to COH. lol
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12255 on: October 02, 2014, 05:00:09 PM »
The obvious answer is that the money made now by promoting that promise to the existing large playerbase is worth the possibility of losing much smaller sums of money on a tiny playerbase somewhere down the line, just as in other contexts a company may promise to support a mainframe operating system for decades - not to make money in decades, but to make money now.

(This was driven home to me when looking at life memberships to STO; the small print says explicitly that they make no representations as to how long the game will run. Now, they have the whim of an upstream rights holder to deal with, but I'm guessing they'd make more money on life memberships if they could say instead that they promise you'll never lose money on one; buy one today, and the game will run for at least (life membership cost / subscription cost) time from today).

The less obvious answer is - if one doesn't have an upstream rights holder - to include a provision that if player numbers fall below some n, the game will be sold (whether or not the company thinks the price is right), imposing a like condition on the buyer. The last six players can buy the game themselves.
That would be a cool situation.   :D

I wouldn't be surprised if this is all resolved by the players anyway...probably not legally.  Similar to how music buyers just took it upon themselves to bypass the record companies.   We already know that some playbases get games running on their own.   ...And we know rumors about a certain SH game too.   8)    When you turn 50,000+ people out into the cold, it stands to reason something is going to happen.

So a future filled with rogue servers running various games that companies closed down would not surprise me in the least.   That sort of thing can also start to creep up on games that are still running and start to effect the wallets of the companies running official servers.    A lot of minds thinking of ways to simplify creating a private server?    ...I can see where that is going.    When the game companies start to complain about it, it will get the same amount of sympathy the record companies got when they complained about people downloading music.    Seems to me they are begging for this to happen with their current policies.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #12256 on: October 02, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »
I know this feeling, I play secret world but I just cannot log on to just play anymore due to my mind wanting needing to play cox. I have stopped playing sto outside of doing doff missions, and all together I have stopped play champions. :(.
For me waiting I have been playing my single player games such as ffx, I forgot how great of a game it was plus I have been thinking about getting dead island 1 and 2.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Raven

• Underling
« Reply #12257 on: October 02, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
I prefer Oolong is that odd for a yankee of Swiss heritage?
Not at all pinballdave. I am of a right proper British descent and Oolong & Tie Guan Yin are among my favorite tea's. Drink up mate!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12258 on: October 02, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »
it's still awesome, I've got mids builds and costume files/screen shots, starting over will be fun too.

Lol Race for 1st LV 50 fully slotted with decent sets all the badges and accolades, anyone in?

I'd have to decline, I have other ambitions when CoX comes back :).
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12259 on: October 02, 2014, 05:41:01 PM »
Truth be told, I think it is nice to start over. Plus with so much more powers available, people can make their "main" more in line of what they wanted.

I agree with this here.  I'd be using the opportunity for sure, since I had multiple iterations of my main, when time manipulation came out, the sets closest to what I wanted had finally been released, I had no reason to have most of them.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.