Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7212020 times)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #13400 on: November 28, 2014, 04:08:04 AM »
I think like two of my characters had Weave, maybe 3-4 of them had Tough...definitely wasn't necessary to play the game. None of the power pools were necessary, none of them were "NEEDED". Nice? Yeah. Powerful? Oh yeah. NEEDED? Nah.

I did take Boxing and Kick with my Street Justice character and enjoyed the hell out of the endless, no-delays-EVER beatdown that allowed.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13401 on: November 28, 2014, 07:13:12 AM »
Boxing wasn't totally useless.
When frankenslotting I'd put a bubble on boxing and then slot 2 Absolute Amazement's (the purple stun set) for an extra 4% recovery. I'd just buy the cheapest IO's in the set because I never used boxing anyway.
It would've been nice to do the same with kicking, but there wasn't a knockback purple set.
Speaking of which, might I suggest....

Kind of how I look at it. If a build requires tough or weave and I need to pick up boxing or Kick. I 5 slot it and use it for either crushing impact or hecatomb bonuses. At the end my builds will require some aspect of the + rech or acc bonuses so might as well use it if I need to take it

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13402 on: November 28, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
I think like two of my characters had Weave, maybe 3-4 of them had Tough...definitely wasn't necessary to play the game. None of the power pools were necessary, none of them were "NEEDED". Nice? Yeah. Powerful? Oh yeah. NEEDED? Nah.

I did take Boxing and Kick with my Street Justice character and enjoyed the hell out of the endless, no-delays-EVER beatdown that allowed.

not needed? for general game-play yeah you're right but unless you want to be a squishy you do need the def and smash/lethal res cap, my tank has ALL the def powers possible and are all slotted really well, still I can only last a few mins in an incarnate trial without additional buffs. granted I can almost tank recluse with no insps but.. and reichsman is a pansy ETC. but.. and I slaughter with over the nuke style damage every 15 mins.. but.. the magisterium trial kicked my tanker behind! made me look like a blapper!
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13403 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:59 PM »
my tank has ALL the def powers possible and are all slotted really well, still I can only last a few mins in an incarnate trial without additional buffs.

That's because the Incarnate Trials were designed in such a way that you require outside buffs.  You're not supposed to survive them on your own.

rkcdan

• Underling
« Reply #13404 on: November 28, 2014, 04:03:17 PM »
I am hoping that they make a big announcement on 11/30/2014. I know not likely but wouldn't it be great.

Mindscythe

• Lieutenant
  • "Any world is what you make of it."
    • SoR Radio
« Reply #13405 on: November 28, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »
I am hoping that they make a big announcement on 11/30/2014. I know not likely but wouldn't it be great.

This has been my hope ever since word of this effort hit the interwebs. I'm a big one for poetic justice. And I just found my next alt's name. :)
"Radio... Radio... RADIO FREE OPPORTUNITY!"

http://www.profj.org/theradiospeaks/

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13406 on: November 28, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »

Me too. But, unfortunately it's going to be the 2 year anniversary of the City of Heroes shut down.  :(

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13407 on: November 28, 2014, 06:44:23 PM »

agreed. 

I had a SS brute that used boxing and a temp broadsword power in his chain for several issues just because it was easy to let Jab go and the temp power really hit hard.

Over the years I took several pool power punches on different chars. Particularly while leveling up it lets you really shore up the ol' attack chain. If you don't want them later there's always a respect to be gotten.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13408 on: November 28, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »

that would be nice but it seems they have been making announcements on the 8-11th of each month if they follow this factor the big news may not come till December.

agreed. 

I had a SS brute that used boxing and a temp broadsword power in his chain for several issues just because it was easy to let Jab go and the temp power really hit hard.

Over the years I took several pool power punches on different chars. Particularly while leveling up it lets you really shore up the ol' attack chain. If you don't want them later there's always a respect to be gotten.

attack chains, never understood those, I had a Stalker for a while that had combo like benefits from some of it's attacks, but other than the initial 2 you can chain I never did find any more to fit the chain. maybe I just didn't play it enough.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Litintha

• Underling
  • All hail Lelouch!
« Reply #13409 on: November 28, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
that would be nice but it seems they have been making announcements on the 8-11th of each month if they follow this factor the big news may not come till December.

If even that early.

For all we know, NCSoft may take their time in coming to a decision. Unless I am mistaken, this would be the first time they would do something like this for one of their games. So, they may take their time and draw it out until they have gone over every single variable and outcome before presenting their final proposal (I assume that is what we are waiting on).

Personally, I anticipate an announcement of a deal being struck sometime in January (Not trying to be pessimistic, just looking at it from a business angle. They WILL want the highest amount of money for this venture, and they will take their time in coming up with a way to get it).

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13410 on: November 28, 2014, 07:31:27 PM »
... still I can only last a few mins in an incarnate trial without additional buffs. ...
... because that was the point of Incarnate Trials.

You say that like it's a bad thing. It had a minimum team count - you weren't supposed to do it all yourself - that's what the others were supposed to be there for.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13411 on: November 28, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
not needed? for general game-play yeah you're right but unless you want to be a squishy you do need the def and smash/lethal res cap, my tank has ALL the def powers possible and are all slotted really well, still I can only last a few mins in an incarnate trial without additional buffs. granted I can almost tank recluse with no insps but.. and reichsman is a pansy ETC. but.. and I slaughter with over the nuke style damage every 15 mins.. but.. the magisterium trial kicked my tanker behind! made me look like a blapper!

By design you were supposed to be not only well built but have others buff you in those trials, and I truthfully feel anyone who felt they were indestructable with only a few types of defense capped were, well, a little naive or didn't fight a wide enough variety of enemies.  But overall the Incarnate trials were meant to be a major team effort and were designed so force muliplier based characters such as a time manipulator or force fielder were useful for everyone.  I know a lot of content could be beaten solo on 8x by a lone character but that was true in any case where a prominent attack damage type was easily defended against, it didn't hold true for anything where the defense was harder to come by.

I wouldn't want to see the day any incarnate trial was soloed.  Even level enemies on 8x is one thing but elite enemies in huge groups is another.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #13412 on: November 28, 2014, 08:26:38 PM »
... because that was the point of Incarnate Trials.

You say that like it's a bad thing. It had a minimum team count - you weren't supposed to do it all yourself - that's what the others were supposed to be there for.

That's the way I played the regular content. Teams of eight in radio missions, signature story arcs or regular task forces with a couple support characters, I would gladly pug away. A team of all defenders or corruptors  ruled -- time was the only commodity you couldn't earn or buy. Steamroll or blitz, you got xp in handfuls.

I had a sonic defender I was grinding some missions in IP, and I noticed a solo tank. He was telling me his woes of a tank soloing in a level 30 world. I suggested a duo, and the tank was ecstatic what the effects of sonic blast and the orange tutu had on his performance. It was like it was meant to be that way ;) together we made xp faster than the sum of our solo parts.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #13413 on: November 28, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
By design you were supposed to be not only well built but have others buff you in those trials, and I truthfully feel anyone who felt they were indestructable with only a few types of defense capped were, well, a little naive or didn't fight a wide enough variety of enemies.  But overall the Incarnate trials were meant to be a major team effort and were designed so force muliplier based characters such as a time manipulator or force fielder were useful for everyone.  I know a lot of content could be beaten solo on 8x by a lone character but that was true in any case where a prominent attack damage type was easily defended against, it didn't hold true for anything where the defense was harder to come by.

I wouldn't want to see the day any incarnate trial was soloed.  Even level enemies on 8x is one thing but elite enemies in huge groups is another.

Yeah.. team effort on protector server... that's a hard one lol, can be done but then there was the whole iTrial refusal by the protector server where no one would play it, so I had to resort to scheduling the event on forums and counting different repliers and friends in game who said they'd attend.

ended up waiting for like 2 or 3 hours after the scheduled start time and like 1 person too little during the whole process, only to get a group and fail the magisterium trial twice.

AmberOfDzu

• Boss
« Reply #13414 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
The force multiplier effect was one of the stellar attributes of CoH's system. You could throw together a motley collection of relatively poorly built characters and then do amazing things.

In the incarnate trials, with players who had extra incarnate abilities and who built well, and the group would be greatly more than the sum of the individuals. Then, add effective leadership and people who tried to be good followers, and then it just flowed beautifully.

None of the MMO's I've played since have had that kind of synergy. For those, it's always seemed to be either weak synergy, or just check-the-box role filling with gear checks.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13415 on: November 28, 2014, 09:36:38 PM »
agreed. 

that temp broadsword power was awesome on my stone tank in granite. really helped due to slow recharge rates.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13416 on: November 28, 2014, 09:44:14 PM »
The force multiplier effect was one of the stellar attributes of CoH's system. You could throw together a motley collection of relatively poorly built characters and then do amazing things.

In the incarnate trials, with players who had extra incarnate abilities and who built well, and the group would be greatly more than the sum of the individuals. Then, add effective leadership and people who tried to be good followers, and then it just flowed beautifully.

None of the MMO's I've played since have had that kind of synergy. For those, it's always seemed to be either weak synergy, or just check-the-box role filling with gear checks.

Well as much as I love CoH. Its because CoH's Itrails weren't REALLY all that difficult.  Get a full team, swarm everything, lots of colorful graphics, and over.  Other MMO's have a much more unforgiving end game system.  And usually can't even be done with PuG's.   Being able to rez freely and as much you want alone makes it vastly easier to finish I trails.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #13417 on: November 28, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
Well as much as I love CoH. Its because CoH's Itrails weren't REALLY all that difficult.  Get a full team, swarm everything, lots of colorful graphics, and over.  Other MMO's have a much more unforgiving end game system.  And usually can't even be done with PuG's.   Being able to rez freely and as much you want alone makes it vastly easier to finish I trails.

While still remaining difficult enough to be enjoyable.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13418 on: November 28, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »

I noticed that with DCUO, that in many ways its all just whatever roles you have and the gear those roles have, alot of the time.  While role confinement in DCUO so far hasn't been outright extreme, it's still annoying enough to me when some jerk asks for the controllers CR(and ONLY the controllers, they act extremely rude to anyone who plays the controller class).  But the game still suffers overall from trinity grindfest, and I don't really feel like a super hero in the game, just another grunt at times.  Others try to convince me I'm good for nothing but a battery for their power meters as they power dump all the time, and perform badly, which only serves to annoy me and remind me how much funner city of heroes was overall.

I played a time manipulator, I blasted alot with fire or energy blast.  If not those, then gravity control was my offense.  I debuffed enemies, buffed allies and even healed behind the sheer amount of control or damage output I did, I felt super because of that.  And I also felt super because I could defend myself, without relying on someone to be the only reason I live in some situations.  In many ways, mmorpgs suck as games, cause the player doesn't get to really be an individual in them know?

City of heroes encouraged teamplay and encouraged you to be your own individual at the same time, it was just brilliant, and it was it's depth that let people do that.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13419 on: November 28, 2014, 10:52:58 PM »
While still remaining difficult enough to be enjoyable.

Yes of course! :)  I certainly enjoyed the I trails.  And not being totally unforgiving isn't a bad thing.  It eases up and allows you to enjoy with a wider audience of people.  It was nice to be able to do Itrails with just about anybody.