Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7287290 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #17240 on: May 23, 2015, 03:05:41 AM »
Okay, haven't commented on this in a while.  Been busy at work.

I give it about this much credence.

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!  It hit me on the head!
With a sasquatch!
Riding the Loch Ness Monster!
Eating chupacabra jerky!
In Area 51!
Fighting Grays!
Over a portal to Atlantis!
Run by the Illuminati!
For Hitler's clone!
Who lives at the center of the earth!

What were you doing at Area 51?

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #17241 on: May 23, 2015, 03:36:23 AM »
...Hitler's clone!
Who lives at the center of the earth!

I was with you right up to the end; but, that's ridiculous! I saw "Boys from Brazil". Why would Hitler's clone leave Rio to live at the center of the earth?

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17242 on: May 23, 2015, 04:53:27 AM »
I was with you right up to the end; but, that's ridiculous! I saw "Boys from Brazil". Why would Hitler's clone leave Rio to live at the center of the earth?

Because that's where all his spare parts and super weapons are.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17243 on: May 23, 2015, 05:44:03 AM »
Re-quoting your jackass comment:
Really? I get the feeling SCORE doesn't exist and you all just got trolled.

How is doubting the project is real, being a jackass?  I've seen no one saying they're from SCORE, no one saying how their progress is, no one saying WHAT they're actually doing, nothing. All I've seen, is a few folks speculating in an offhand fashion from time to time.  Until such time as something concrete is said, it's a non-entity.

That's not being a jackass (and I resent the accusation, especially from a mod), that's being realistic.
Calling Titan's RE efforts trolling is being a jackass, not realistic.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17244 on: May 23, 2015, 06:07:16 AM »
What were you doing at Area 51?
Either he was getting hit in the head by a Sasquatch eating Chupacabra jerky, or the aforementioned person was eating Chupacabra jerky, while attempting to dodge a Sasquatch that the sky threw at them.

Why the sky was throwing Sasquatches around, I don't really know. I can understand Sasquatches fighting Greys though. Those pesky Greys were picking on the poor Sasquatches because they were eating some Beef Jerk...OOooohhh. That's why the Sasquatch hit him on the head. Hyperstrike. Stop pickin on the poor Sasquatch. He ain't done nuthin to ya. Unless he did. in that case. Carry on.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17245 on: May 23, 2015, 06:12:10 AM »
Re-quoting your jackass comment:Calling Titan's RE efforts trolling is being a jackass, not realistic.

I have no knowlege that Titan themselves are involved in SCoRE, or that SCoRE is anything other than some rumours started by some person I was unaware of as I've never actually seen the posts in question until now (and there's no mandatory requirement for me to read every single post on the forum). 

Until there's actual proof that such a thing exists, my opinion that the whole thing is  unicorn poop has as much merit as anyone else's.  Until such proof appears to demonstrate otherwise, kindly refrain from breaking Titan Networks OWN terms of service, to whit:

Language or images used for the purpose of attacking, insulting, harassing, slandering, or otherwise griefing other users is prohibited.

As a mod, you should know better.

Should such proof eventually materialize, you'll have my apologies, but until then, my comment stands.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17246 on: May 23, 2015, 06:22:47 AM »
Until there's actual proof that such a thing exists, my opinion that the whole thing is unicorn poop has as much merit as anyone else's.
I take it the existence of Titan Icon has eluded you?  It represents Step 1 and a decent proof of concept in the RE efforts.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17247 on: May 23, 2015, 06:32:26 AM »
I take it the existence of Titan Icon has eluded you?  It represents Step 1 and a decent proof of concept in the RE efforts.

Icon is proof of the existence of Icon, and nothing more. Getting the client to run disconnected from everything else is a far cry from re-engineering a functioning game server. 

Really though, whether ScoRE is real or not is not the point I'm making.  The point I'm making is that it's unacceptable for a MOD to break the forums own rules and insult me just because I express doubts over SCoRE's existence.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #17248 on: May 23, 2015, 07:27:27 AM »
While Icon is a major component of CoX, and a mini-game in its own right IMO, it certainly is a L-O-N-G way from our beloved game.

Things appear to be heating up here.

Unless we plan to eat each other, I suggest we turn off the oven and put the bbq sauce back in the fridge.

Peace everyone. :)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #17249 on: May 23, 2015, 07:33:45 AM »
POP.... Are we there yet 😀

Just kidding, anyone watching Eurovision tonight?

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #17250 on: May 23, 2015, 07:50:12 AM »
In fact we see evidence for City of Heroes being played centuries ago.  All over the world, the Mayans, the Inca, the Egyptians all built pyramid structures with significant geometric similarities.  Now historians will suggest that these structures all had different purposes suited to their respective cultures, but Ancient Superhero Theorists believe that these were all build specifically for the purpose of enacting the classic City of Villains tutorial mission "Breakout."  As further proof, many of these structures contain writing that refers to "the gods."  But who are these "gods" that the ancient texts refer to?  These "gods" or "superpowered beings" are all described as having fantastical powers and abilities, like the ability of flight, the ability to leap high into the sky, to disappear and reappear anywhere, and to cross vast distances in the blink of an eye.  Historians and cultural anthropologists would have us believe that its mere coincidence that this is identical to the four travel powers in City of Heroes, but Ancient Superhero Theorists believe that those described as "the gods" were merely ancient MMO subscribers who in the days before modern computers were forced by publishers to be granted superpowers to allow them to properly experience the game.

The game we know today as City of Heroes is really mankind rediscovering this lost knowledge that ancient peoples once possessed, before cancellation forced these megastructures to be abandoned and the superpowers to be lost.

Posts like this are exactly why we need a thumbs up/like this button. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Baja

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17251 on: May 23, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »

Are you trying to get us all killed? I don't know who you are or how you broke into NASA's computer but I can tell you this, the CIA and five possibly even six die hard CoH fans are going to be at your doorstep tomorrow morning with some very serious questions.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17252 on: May 23, 2015, 08:59:45 AM »
I have no knowlege that Titan themselves are involved in SCoRE, or that SCoRE is anything other than some rumours started by some person I was unaware of as I've never actually seen the posts in question until now (and there's no mandatory requirement for me to read every single post on the forum). 

Until there's actual proof that such a thing exists, my opinion that the whole thing is  unicorn poop has as much merit as anyone else's.  Until such proof appears to demonstrate otherwise, kindly refrain from breaking Titan Networks OWN terms of service, to whit:

As a mod, you should know better.

Should such proof eventually materialize, you'll have my apologies, but until then, my comment stands.

So multiple Titan people saying "Titan is reverse engineering" means "you have no knowledge Titan is involved in anything". Right, right, got it.

PS; saying that you're acting like a jackass is not breaking the terms. It's saying you're acting like a jackass. I'm not attacking you. I am unsubtly telling you you're on the verge of breaking the terms yourself. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17253 on: May 23, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
So multiple Titan people saying "Titan is reverse engineering" means "you have no knowledge Titan is involved in anything". Right, right, got it.

How do we know this isn't all a part of the Andy Kaufman death hoax???  YOU CAN'T PROVE ANYTHING

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17254 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:57 AM »
We've never pretended that we weren't doing some reverse engineering. Icon didn't just magically manage to hit the right bits of the client through throwing darts at a printout of the executable, after all.

Whether or not those efforts are in any way connected to secret projects that may or may not exist or whether or not it's all part of an epic trolling conspiracy... that I can't speak to. All I can say is that we're working on something. It's probably not what you really want (though it might be for some people), but we still think it's pretty cool.

Stage 1 - Icon was a great gift to the Coh community.

Stage 2 -
One of the few solid things I've ever heard about SCoRE was that one of their at-one-time-at-least-intentions/projects/speculations was a micro-scale one-box server emulator that would combine all the necessary server functions in a compact emulator that could run a small scale environment -- enabling play offline or running a small population of players.  Which would be a fantastic accomplishment.

From Ohio's post.  Now, THAT(!) would be 'pretty cool.'

I've long thought that a localised and 'compact' emu allowing local lan or a small population of players to run their own localised game would be fantastic.

Let's face it, bar raids...you could only ever play with 8 people at a time.  While it was nice to have a player population of thousands online...an emu project, in my view, doesn't have to stretch that far. 

Coh always felt local to a hand full of friends on global.  Want a pug in this context then all you have to do is make new friends on the Internet who are coh fans and invite them that way.

I could live without the shop, incarnate and VIP fluff - a tank biased, dangerous Hollows, perma-hasten, no IO head ache inducing pre-issue 4 would be fine by me.  A compact emu makes sense.  Get it working first.  Then the technical hurdle of a bigger scale emu would be presumably be stage 3..?  With a mod community and tools to release issue 24 and create more costume parts, powers and missions from there..?

I would have thought that a micro emulator would attract less legal ire too as it would be local to just a handful of people on someone's computer I stead of a giant server farm which would draw attention.  One falls into fair use (and difficult to play legal whack a mole with...) and then the other is taking the Mick and is a sitting duck for a cease order.

Azrael.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:36:15 AM by Azrael »

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17255 on: May 23, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »

PS; saying that you're acting like a jackass is not breaking the terms. It's saying you're acting like a jackass. I'm not attacking you. I am unsubtly telling you you're on the verge of breaking the terms yourself. :p

I named no names, and have no idea WHO is involved in SCoRE, so cannot be breaking any rules as there's no one to attack. You, on the other hand, called me a jackass, YOU RULE BREAKER, YOU! :P

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17256 on: May 23, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
Further to my post.  It makes me think of Apple's relationship to clones.  We have 'Localised' Hackintoshes on an individual scale and Apple haven't gone after them (only alienating potential customers anyhow and a nightmare legal or whack a mole situation...) but if anyone sets up in business making a line of Mac clones then Apple would cease and desist order as an opening salvo to a thermo nuclear war.

One quietly acknowledges that not everyone wants Apple's line of hardware (though I do ;) and it's low key enough to not draw attention to itself.  The other is tweaking the nose of a corporation and you're not going to get away with it.

Between potential buy outs, a potential ;) micro emulator for coh, spiritual successors and agreements with corporations for other mmo games, buy backs, legal pressure for corporations to preserve games for posterity, emu efforts like Rasa and even NC Soft themselves asking for 15k signatures to get Lin II up and running...

...it only augurs well for Coh's return.  Eventually.

Azrael.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17257 on: May 23, 2015, 12:13:44 PM »
Actually, IIRC Apple tried to take on some folks making Hackintosh's, and -lost-, badly.  As they'd paid for the OS, the court ruled they were within their rights to run it on any hardware they chose.

Since then, Apple have ceased selling OSX separately as their means of combating clones.  You can still run it on any machine you like, but the only way to legally get the software, is to buy a Mac.

Surelle

« Reply #17258 on: May 23, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
Further to my post.  It makes me think of Apple's relationship to clones.  We have 'Localised' Hackintoshes on an individual scale and Apple haven't gone after them (only alienating potential customers anyhow and a nightmare legal or whack a mole situation...) but if anyone sets up in business making a line of Mac clones then Apple would cease and desist order as an opening salvo to a thermo nuclear war.

One quietly acknowledges that not everyone wants Apple's line of hardware (though I do ;) and it's low key enough to not draw attention to itself.  The other is tweaking the nose of a corporation and you're not going to get away with it.

Between potential buy outs, a potential ;) micro emulator for coh, spiritual successors and agreements with corporations for other mmo games, buy backs, legal pressure for corporations to preserve games for posterity, emu efforts like Rasa and even NC Soft themselves asking for 15k signatures to get Lin II up and running...

...it only augurs well for Coh's return.  Eventually.

Azrael.

It does bother me quite a bit that all NCSoft did was bam! ask for 15,000 signatures and two seconds later, a Lineage 2 classic server is approved and moving toward launch.

What do they have SO against CoX for Pete's sake?  There's even a whole freaking team of backers ready to pay them and do all the work, they OWN the IP so no one can get in the way of it, they even stand to make money leasing the IP to other franchises to borrow from, and still no answer in sooooo long!  GRRRRR.

I need to focus on something else or I'm just going to get even more ticked off at NCSoft.   Lineage on the whole has been a total bust in EU and NA.  So are they doing this solely for the Asian player base then?   Where is this classic Lineage 2 server launching, in Asia only, or will there be multiples with one for EU and one for NA too?  Because clearly it's going to be a SERVER IMAGE that will never be added to or patched, or it would no longer be Lineage 2 classic!

So why can't we get our i23 rez back?  If I think about this for 5 more seconds I'm going to feel compelled to send an email to someone at NCSoft.  This is really just another kick at the CoX player base in a way.  GRRRR.

Surelle

« Reply #17259 on: May 23, 2015, 01:32:40 PM »
Okay, I sort of feel a little better because, after a quick Google search, I see that it is NOT NCSoft launching Lineage 2 Classic, but Innova Co., who bought the rights to and distributes/runs Lineage 2 in EU.

Here is a link:  https://4gameforum.com/threads/lineage-2-classic-europe-what-is-next.26645/

Apparently, Innova is only making a EU classic Lineage 2 server (I'm not sure yet as the project has only just begun if certain countries outside EU will be region blocked or not) because they only run Lineage 2 in EU.  NCSoft unfortunately still owns the rights to their own games in NA and Asia and they are doing exactly nothing for their own customers.  Pffft.

I know GameForge runs some of NCSoft's other games in EU, like Aion (and oh boy do people over there hate GameForge but that's another story!).   Why Innova was able to snag the rights to Lineage 2 I don't know, but I think their customers got the best end of the deal compared to the GameForge and NCWest victims gamers.