Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272137 times)

triedac

• Minion
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #20600 on: November 27, 2015, 06:51:53 AM »
Happy Turkey Day/Thanksgiving everyone ^_^ Normally I'd be sad CoX wasn't back, but my wife just bought me a Wii U so I'm pretty satisfied at the moment :p

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20601 on: November 27, 2015, 06:55:06 AM »
Imagine the car trip back home from Disneyland.  The kids are acting all hyper.
"Don't make me turn this car around."  Dad threatens.
"Please!"  The kids plead
"Never mind!"  Dad shouts.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #20602 on: November 27, 2015, 11:16:03 AM »
I don't think the game was shut down out of spite.  The deal for paragon studios feel through because of some personal problem.  They aren't going to shutdown a whole game because they are upset at somebody.  However, it doesn't mean they will fight for them when the time comes though.  Which can make a big difference.

we know what we have compiled from the various sources that Nexon did have something to do with the shutdown, we know it was about profits to company shares ratio. But we do not know for certain if that was the only consideration NCSoft observed to shut down the game.

For example in psychology they teach that the main fail of most psychological research is that the researchers are looking for 1 thing that causes a particular mental state, in reality it could be any number of things, and most likely is a combination of many different factors.

I feel the same is true here, if it was just about money NCSoft could have easily netmarbled and kept city running if even in maintenance mode. I suspect that personnel issues were 1 of the considerations that NCSoft observed when making their decision. However, that's not to say it was a major consideration, nor is it to say it's the only other consideration.

Long ago, I joked about it being a conspiracy theory by government ideologists in effect to stop a form of media that was teaching morals and mental skills (such as heroic teamwork to stop out of control corrupt government agents ex; evil longbow, axis america, malta[too close to a federal swat team in operations and looks]) that the ideologists didn't approve of. There could have been an off record memo received "Stop City of X, we don't approve of it's teachings for citizen teamwork against corruption. failure to comply will result in us manufacturing a scandal and shutting down your company - USA Government. P.S. if you go to the public about this we'll deny it and make you out to be loony, because legally we never sent this message."

yeah, it doesn't fit in a normalcy theory (it's a dramatic tangent) which means it has a probability of 0 divided 0 squared (yeah, I just divided by 0, eat that math). but with our circus of a dramatic and scandal filled government, I honestly don't know any more. Heck anythings possible, I've been saying for a while now that the worst real conspiracies form when no one believes that conspiracies can be real, it's like the final part of "the boy who cried wolf", when there really is a wolf no one believes it.

Point of fact is, We Do Not Know what all the reasons were for City's shut down, YET.. something tells me when the game is back the real villains will materialize again to try and shut it down again (I blame Nemesis, Disconnect and Lag). Heck they could already be pulling something, could explain the long wait.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #20603 on: November 27, 2015, 12:13:56 PM »
As we're coming up to the 3 years since CoH closed it's login screens, with no update in "Purchase Attempt: Wake me up when there's news!" thread and Downix not being on the forums that I can see since August 17th. I was wondering how people are currently decided on weather the game will or will not return.

I'm one of those hopefuls that keep checking this forum each day, hoping for the thread to pop up with the good news of the games return. As I still hold that this was the best game I have ever played and ever will, nothing else has come close, people may say different but to me this game was the best.

I'll be honest I don't think I'll play any of the new games coming out in honour of CoH, don't get me wrong they look ok but there no CoH, I'd play them and always think about CoH in a better light even if the graphics are better. Graphics aren't  everything, to me it's the content of what the game gives you, I don't know what the new games will have content wise, no one but the developers of these games know this information, but again I know what CoH had and I loved it!

So holding my torch high for the return of the game that made all other games to me obsolete  ;)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #20604 on: November 27, 2015, 01:52:01 PM »
As we're coming up to the 3 years since CoH closed it's login screens, with no update in "Purchase Attempt: Wake me up when there's news!" thread and Downix not being on the forums that I can see since August 17th. I was wondering how people are currently decided on weather the game will or will not return.

I'm one of those hopefuls that keep checking this forum each day, hoping for the thread to pop up with the good news of the games return. As I still hold that this was the best game I have ever played and ever will, nothing else has come close, people may say different but to me this game was the best.

I'll be honest I don't think I'll play any of the new games coming out in honour of CoH, don't get me wrong they look ok but there no CoH, I'd play them and always think about CoH in a better light even if the graphics are better. Graphics aren't  everything, to me it's the content of what the game gives you, I don't know what the new games will have content wise, no one but the developers of these games know this information, but again I know what CoH had and I loved it!

So holding my torch high for the return of the game that made all other games to me obsolete  ;)

Don't worry about it, last time he was here he seemed pretty cheerful in written tone, although maybe a bit stressed. That's what happens when you're putting together your own game though, even with a team you find yourself all over the place with no time for anything. unless you are a severe procrastinator like me; There's always time for Asshattery my dear chum! *adjusts my monocle*.

now back to UV layouts, CoX really had some odd UV layouts, I mean the shirts are a sideways T with the arm horizontal and the chest vertical bottom and the back vertical top and the top left and bottom left corners blank for a good deal of space, poor texture space usage! especially the image size, that's definitely over 256x256 pixels and not square!

no, I have nothing to do with the negotiations, I'm talking about a model rip someone gave me for UV mapping. I find it fun to see how CoX did their stuff.

There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20605 on: November 27, 2015, 04:31:46 PM »
I'm still here and hopeful!  In the words of my main character, Tubbius, "Mmph mmph MMPH mmph!"

:)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #20606 on: November 27, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
I am here for the duration.  I will either be one of the first to log into the game, or to find out that it just wasn't meant to be.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #20607 on: November 27, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »
we know what we have compiled from the various sources that Nexon did have something to do with the shutdown

I know the above is a very vague statement, but was it ever confirmed that Nexon wanted the game shutdown? I recall a significant amount of speculation, but no actual facts regarding that. The only thing I remember for sure being confirmed was that Nexon did have something to do with the current deal being slowed down a bit.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20608 on: November 27, 2015, 09:32:26 PM »
I know the above is a very vague statement, but was it ever confirmed that Nexon wanted the game shutdown? I recall a significant amount of speculation, but no actual facts regarding that. The only thing I remember for sure being confirmed was that Nexon did have something to do with the current deal being slowed down a bit.

No, it wasn't.  Take anything Joshex says with very large grains of salt.

(Edit note: Fixed weird grammatical errorific.)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:45:05 PM by darkgob »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20609 on: November 27, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
Large grains of salt look a whole lot like a random Tomb Raider level. Who knew?

Sergio526

• Underling
« Reply #20610 on: November 27, 2015, 10:43:33 PM »
No, we don't.  Take anything Joshex says with very large grains of salt.

Looks like what Companionship Cube would look like after the incinerator

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #20611 on: November 27, 2015, 11:46:13 PM »
BTW, why has everyone moved from ustream to twitch tv anyway?

I was under the impression that they were (are?) related, but spun twitch off to focus on games, and ustream on other stuff.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20612 on: November 28, 2015, 12:20:28 AM »
There is a reason Joshex has a custom title under his name....
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20613 on: November 28, 2015, 12:30:41 AM »
Looks like what Companionship Cube would look like after the incinerator

That was the first thing that came to my mind

Biz

• Boss
« Reply #20614 on: November 28, 2015, 04:48:53 AM »
There is a reason Joshex has a custom title under his name....

Sure, I knew better. Just in case there was something I missed I wanted to double check.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #20615 on: November 28, 2015, 05:02:14 AM »
I know the above is a very vague statement, but was it ever confirmed that Nexon wanted the game shutdown?

No, that's just joshex once again taking idle speculation from random posters on these forums who don't have any direct knowledge and repeating it as fact.

The only time Nexon's name has come up in any kind of confirmable context is an offhand mention by Nate about the buyout attempt and NCSoft's response being delayed due to Nexon drama. However, the way it was worded left it ambiguous, and it could just as easily be taken to mean that his contact in NCSoft was using the Nexon situation as an excuse rather than anyone inside Nexon affecting it. More unconfirmable speculation: I took it as the person he's talking to was afraid to escalate a minor IP purchase deal to his higher-ups because they had their hands full dealing with Nexon and don't want to be bothered.

So no, there's no real indication that anyone in Nexon has even heard of COH, much less is directly involved in it either its closure or any IP purchase attempts.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #20616 on: November 28, 2015, 05:38:00 AM »
So no, there's no real indication that anyone in Nexon has even heard of COH, much less is directly involved in it either its closure or any IP purchase attempts.
Well, I'd say people in Nexon have probably heard of CoH, they just don't give two hoots about it because it was heading towards being shut down (or it was already shut down) when they bought their shares in NCsoft back in 2012. I mean, it could very well turn out that Nexon was part of the reason (or was the reason entirely) why CoH shut down, or it could turn out that Nexon had nothing to do with CoH being shut down...

Here's my question, if Nexon really did have something to do with CoH being shut down, do any of you really think they'd fess up and actually admit that they had something to do with it?

(Sorry if I sound rude or angry, that's not my intention)

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #20617 on: November 28, 2015, 05:49:10 AM »
Here's my question, if Nexon really did have something to do with CoH being shut down, do any of you really think they'd fess up and actually admit that they had something to do with it?

I'm inclined to believe they didn't. My reasoning is simple: It's quite apparent from the recent power struggle that NCSoft's executives didn't give a flying fart what Nexon wanted them to do. The whole reason for the attempted hostile takeover is that Nexon was tired being ignored and wanted to seize control.

14.9% ownership is not enough to force an uncooperative board to do what you want.

Stitchified

• Boss
  • Errors are not in the art but in the artificers.
    • datebest.net - visit website and win smartphone!
« Reply #20618 on: November 28, 2015, 03:11:55 PM »
I'm inclined to believe they didn't. My reasoning is simple: It's quite apparent from the recent power struggle that NCSoft's executives didn't give a flying fart what Nexon wanted them to do. The whole reason for the attempted hostile takeover is that Nexon was tired being ignored and wanted to seize control.

14.9% ownership is not enough to force an uncooperative board to do what you want.
Your reasoning makes complete sense to me, and it definitely seems like Nexon didn't really have any pull in NCsoft.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #20619 on: November 28, 2015, 03:47:38 PM »
Well, I'd say people in Nexon have probably heard of CoH, they just don't give two hoots about it because it was heading towards being shut down (or it was already shut down) when they bought their shares in NCsoft back in 2012. I mean, it could very well turn out that Nexon was part of the reason (or was the reason entirely) why CoH shut down, or it could turn out that Nexon had nothing to do with CoH being shut down...

(Sorry if I sound rude or angry, that's not my intention)

Some people think this game is like trying to buy the entire WoW IP from Blizzard. The reality is that it is a closed game. The IP has a small value to a multi-billion dollar company and during the middle of a merger and then the power struggle afterwards the lower level guys didn't want to make any waves. This is normal. Keep your head down, do your job make few changes and see who wins.

If Nexon wins then you do things their way now - if NCSoft wins you carry on.