Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7273475 times)

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #24140 on: April 29, 2016, 11:58:24 PM »
Since you state the it is a possibility, it is as valid as other premises offered.
That's not how it works. It's a possibility that our moon is actually an artificial construct created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster for mysterious purposes. That does not mean that possibility is as valid as the other premises. The explanation that best fits the known facts and requires the least convoluted rationalization is the most valid. There's a possibility that NCsoft accidentally dropped their only hard drive containing the CoH server code into an outhouse and it was ruined but they're too embarrassed by it to admit it so they agreed to negotiations in order to avoid admitting what happened. The fact that something is not impossible does not make it as valid as all other possibilities.
VALID
That word. You keep using it...

Edit: And Arcana beat me to it. i should have expected that.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24141 on: April 30, 2016, 12:00:53 AM »
For how long this "deal" has been in the works I've lost hope. I'd say to most people right now the best thing to do emotionally is assume dead until proven otherwise.

Everyone should have been doing this from the start

Life's motto -  Hope for the best.  Prepare for the worst. 

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #24142 on: April 30, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
I think you need to reread my post.  While your statement might be true, it is nonsequitor to what I was saying, and I was pointing that out.

It is possible I can win the lottery.  But it is inordinately unlikely.  I have no idea how you are able to conclude that saying something is possible and saying the same thing is also incredibly unlikely is somehow illogical, unless you have a very strange definition of "logic."

Sure, you can say anything is possible, but then there's no point in saying anything anymore, because any discussion is meaningless.  Anything is possible.  But when I say it is inordinately unlikely that the negotiation team would deliberately hold back a playable version of the game because of some strange motivation to withhold it from the players until a successor game launches, so they can "combine" the releases, that's not because that is illogical in some formalized sense.  Rather, it is nonsensical in the extreme because it ascribes completely ludicrous motives to those involved.  First, if you read the post at the beginning of this thread, you'll see that one of the stated intents of separating this project from MWM's development was to ensure that any IP licensed would be made more generally available to the community and not just isolated to a single project.  Withholding the completion of the deal would make it impossible for either development project to use the licensed IP for their games if desired, unless you presume that all of the community contributors in all of the development teams would voluntarily agree to not disclose that information.  And the odds of that are clearly zero, given the fact we're only talking about this because of a leak from a much smaller group of people.  It also doesn't make sense because there's no benefit to holding back a playable game: releasing it only after a successor game was launching would make the original game competition for the new game, rather than an interest builder.  And finally, the backlash that would ensue when people found out that a playable version of the game was withheld for no credible reason would be enormous.  No rational person would sign up for that without some good reason, particularly someone volunteering to attempt to acquire that game for the very community they would be poisoning.

Sure, people do strange things for all sorts of reasons, but people are not *that* unpredictable most of the time.  Most of the time when people do things that some consider inexplicable, there's a valid reason behind that, just one those people refuse to accept as valid.  But that doesn't change the fact that in this case this sequence of events is extremely unlikely even if it doesn't violate a law of physics for someone's brain cells to generate this decision.

Thank you for your opinion.

The more your conflate this, the more exposure you give my post.

Also, just cuz you don't get my opinion, does not equate to you having reality or truth on your side, bub. You could just as easily PM me and not escalate this.

You clearly feel that your brand has been tainted by my post. Get over it.

So what if you deem that my post has nothing to do with the point of your post. Move on. Smell some flowers. Drink a latte. Read a book.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #24143 on: April 30, 2016, 12:43:55 AM »
Move on. Smell some flowers. Drink a latte. Read a book. Have a spot of forum debate.

You missed one! Fixed it for you. :-*

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #24144 on: April 30, 2016, 01:05:00 AM »
You missed one! Fixed it for you. :-*

lol  ;D

You sir win 9000 interwebs.  ;)
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #24145 on: April 30, 2016, 01:24:40 AM »
MST3K ended in 1999 and is only now after 17 years being relaunched.

in 17 years a good portion of the middle aged and elderly portion of the community will be dead of natural causes. Coh is also likely to be replaced by something better within the next 5.

MaxDefense

• Underling
« Reply #24146 on: April 30, 2016, 01:32:27 AM »
Hey don't sell us old folks out so fast

Maybe they will figure out a way to upload our consciousness to the internet and we can play forever 8)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24147 on: April 30, 2016, 01:46:09 AM »
You clearly feel that your brand has been tainted by my post. Get over it.

Or squirrels could only appear to hibernate because they spend most of the winter in burrows with cached food supplies.

tripthicket

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24148 on: April 30, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
Y'know, that's interesting. Will nursing homes and retirement communities, in about 15-30 years, have gaming consoles and PCs in stock, much like providing TVs in common living areas? I think I can see myself playing something in a PC game when (if) I get into my 90s. :)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24149 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:28 AM »
Y'know, that's interesting. Will nursing homes and retirement communities, in about 15-30 years, have gaming consoles and PCs in stock, much like providing TVs in common living areas? I think I can see myself playing something in a PC game when (if) I get into my 90s. :)

Assuming people are still playing video games in fifteen years, almost certainly.  One of the first places where the Nintendo Wii found a home was in nursing and assisted living homes, so that day is already here.  I'm sure by the time we're moving into nursing homes we'll all be sniping each other in Counterstrike 12 and talking smack in the common room playing Mario Cart 2040.  It'll be interesting to see Blizzard have to make Gon'Loopee, the PvP Dementia server.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24150 on: April 30, 2016, 03:01:01 AM »
Assuming people are still playing video games in fifteen years, almost certainly.  One of the first places where the Nintendo Wii found a home was in nursing and assisted living homes, so that day is already here.  I'm sure by the time we're moving into nursing homes we'll all be sniping each other in Counterstrike 12 and talking smack in the common room playing Mario Cart 2040.  It'll be interesting to see Blizzard have to make Gon'Loopee, the PvP Dementia server.

And it will all be happening in something akin to VR, just more advanced! Or maybe a version of HoloLens. 15 years is a long way for tech. We'll see?

I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Eskreema

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24151 on: April 30, 2016, 03:03:43 AM »
the PvP Dementia server.

That's just a room full of monitors that say "loading."  No mouse, no keyboard, no input device- just this eerie feeling caused by a combination of that scene in Twilight Zone the movie where that kid wished away his sisters mouth and in the movie AI where he is waiting to be "a real, live boy!"

Hmmm... Shrodinger's Negotiation Team...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 03:20:39 AM by Eskreema »
Global: Iron Smoke.  Boards: Kractis Sky. Server:  Champion.  Main:  Eskreema

I don't always get sucked into a jet engine and live to talk about it, but when I do I use the new ICD-10 V97.33XD code.  Because things like that need to be trended by your insurance company and your money!

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24152 on: April 30, 2016, 03:16:48 AM »
talking smack in the common room playing Mario Cart 2040.

not coincidentally resident on resident assaults and murders will increase exponentially.

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #24153 on: April 30, 2016, 04:35:54 AM »
not coincidentally resident on resident assaults and murders will increase exponentially.
If they can manage an assault while confined to a chair

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24154 on: April 30, 2016, 05:30:17 AM »
That's just a room full of monitors that say "loading."  No mouse, no keyboard, no input device- just this eerie feeling caused by a combination of that scene in Twilight Zone the movie where that kid wished away his sisters mouth and in the movie AI where he is waiting to be "a real, live boy!"

Hmmm... Shrodinger's Negotiation Team...

Twilight Zone: The Movie is good stuff. . . except for that whole "Death of Vic Morrow and a couple of kids while filming" thing.  :(

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24155 on: April 30, 2016, 05:35:55 AM »
If they can manage an assault while confined to a chair

a cursory youtube search for 'wheelchair fight' says they definitely can :D

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24156 on: April 30, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »
Everyone should have been doing this from the start

Life's motto -  Hope for the best.  Prepare for the worst.

I have hope that CoH will come back and I still go about my daily life as usual. I just don't play CoH while waiting for CoH to come back.

One silver lining about not having CoH available to play is that we have more free time to play PnP RPGs here at the house. Although, I'd still rather be playing CoH.

Whoever thinks that hoping for something to happen and not being able to go about life normally while hoping that something will happen, is, quite frankly, doing it wrong.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24157 on: April 30, 2016, 12:23:57 PM »
in 17 years a good portion of the middle aged and elderly portion of the community will be dead of natural causes. Coh is also likely to be replaced by something better within the next 5.

That's...not even a remotely valid comparison.  Still, it's funny you say this in response to what I said, because MST3K was replaced 10 years ago, yet that doesn't seem to have stopped it from being relaunched.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #24158 on: April 30, 2016, 01:19:53 PM »
Data point: Not only do I still play old games, I love old games.  I'm frequently firing up titles like Ultima IV and V, Wing Commander, Myst, Age of Empires II, Baldur's Gate, etc.  My last Steam purchase was the Atari collection, a bunch of old Atari 2600 and Atari coin-op games from the 1970s, and I've been playing the crap out of them.

I'm not saying that I hope that it's 17 years before City of Heroes comes back, but even if it is, I'll either be dead or playing.

Brigadine

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24159 on: April 30, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
Data point: Not only do I still play old games, I love old games.  I'm frequently firing up titles like Ultima IV and V, Wing Commander, Myst, Age of Empires II, Baldur's Gate, etc.  My last Steam purchase was the Atari collection, a bunch of old Atari 2600 and Atari coin-op games from the 1970s, and I've been playing the crap out of them.

I'm not saying that I hope that it's 17 years before City of Heroes comes back, but even if it is, I'll either be dead or playing.
Ill be having my mid life crisis in 17 years :(