Author Topic: How old are you?  (Read 21922 times)

Corlagon

• Lieutenant
Re: How old are you?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »
I was 25. I read one of those Top 10 lists at Game FAQs, and it included a description of COH that intrigued me, so I couldn't resist getting a trial account. Issue 8 was the latest one at that time, I remember how Wentworth's irritated me (it was already on the map, but closed). And I'm not sure how I could live with that messy contact list for over a year. %-)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »
I was 44 at the start of City of Heroes.

I had been watching the game grow through Beta and since I have always been a comic book fan - I decided on the day it started to buy the game. I had never been interested in an MMO, but a Super Hero MMO sounded fun.

I then made my first character a Fire/Fire blaster and he was the first Fire/Fire to 40 on the Champion server. So much fun and so many days of doing whatever I wanted that day. Mindlessly reduce stress by melting Nazi's - done! Team up and in the pre-Purple Patch days have our entire SG go to Founder's Falls and have 40 level 5-25 characters fight a single 3 villian group for crazy XP - done! So many things to do and all done when YOU wanted to do them.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
I'm currently thirty-twelve.  I started playing around August 2004.  I remember that Issue 2 was released like a week or two after I started playing.  I head about the game around release, but to be honest, I didn't really consider playing it until I found out that a friend of mine who also worked night shift played it.  I picked it up, tried it out, and for around six months, played it non-stop.  I took around a three-month break in 2005, but never canceled my subscription.  When I came back, I liked the game more than ever and never really stopped playing after that until December 1, 2012.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 02:29:02 AM »
I was about 35 the first time I played.

I'd seen CoH a couple years earlier, and was rooting for it.

But I was doing ridiculous amounts of work and my main machine at the time was a heavily coddled P3 800 with 4GB of RAM.  So I'd missed out on the early years of the game.

So, Hyperstrike was born July 4th, 2008.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2014, 01:37:26 AM »
60 been a super hero fan since the 50's. My sons would say the 1850's. I started playing on September 3 2004.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
Ha, got you all beat (is this a good thing?)!!

Yes, yes it is!  Remember: Old is good!  ;-)  It also often beats the alternative...

I was born in the merry old year of 1960 so I am 53  (cries silently about the number, not the wisdom that comes with it).

I was also born in 1960 and started playing under Issue 14 in  April or May of 2009.  (I've erroneously stated i15 in the past but looking at the wiki dates and that AE had always existed when I started means i14 and I'd been playing only a few months when Issue 15 "Anniversary" was released.)  City of Heroes wasn't the first MMORPG I'd played but it was the first one I played for more than a few hours, and the first (and so far only) MMO to strongly appeal (tho I expect City of Titans and Hereos & Villains will likely change that.)

If memory serves, there was an age survey thread done months ago that resulted in an age demographic of Titan Network CoH fans.

/em holdtorch
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2014, 11:41:13 PM »
I was 54 when CoH started, pre-purchasing the game, and was invited to one of the last Betas about a week prior to opening day.  I was 62 when I was booted out of my home away from home for the last time.

It was the first, (but not the last) MMO I'd tried, due to the subject matter involved.  I was raised on SF stories and comics, so when I heard that CoH was finally coming out after years of pre-development work, I had to give it a try.  Even though I've tried dozens of other MMOs during its existence and afterwards, it remains my favorite MMO experience of all.

rojah

• Underling
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 04:55:15 AM »
I started 2007 , 35 years old , and still the best  MMO I have ever played.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
I started playing with Issue 3 in 2005, at age 37.
My best friend had been trying to sell me on making the leap from pen and paper RPGs to CoH. The fifteen bucks a month (at the time) was a real strech considering I had three kids already. But I finally relented and ended up playing alongside my wife for many, many, many hours. My first CoH memory is camping our for the very first Winter Lord event and partaking in the silly XP frenzy.

Call me crazy, but my favorite part of the game was playing the pre-travel-power levels and finding PUGs in the original Hollows; making the crazy dangerous journey on foot across Troll and CoT infested territory. Actually misjudged a jump once and fell into Grendel's Gulch, and managed to still survive and make it out alive. I ran Frostfire more times than I can count (before Ouroboros).

I took a break right around the time CO launched but it just couldn't compete. I resubbed after about a year and stayed active until the end.

And now ...sad blapper :(
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »
Born in 1959.  55 now.  Never played a better game before or since.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
Turned 52 a few weeks back.  Always enjoyed comics and animation.  So much easier to do the fantastic than live action and not make it look bad.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
Turned 56 in April. Started playing shortly before turning 46 in 2005. Got in Just in time to get the 1 year anniversary badge.

crashpositron

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 04:28:05 AM »
59, but I had 100 alts, so ON AVERAGE, I'm 5.9 8)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 04:46:00 AM »
Turned 31 this past November... so, when I started sometime after the release of Issue 10 I'd have been around 24.

gypsyav

• Boss
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
I started playing Dec 5, 2004, two days before my my 37th birthday. I'd heard about the game while it was still in beta and a number of people I knew online from my Play by EMail rpg group played it when it first launched in April.

They praised it so much I told my husband I wouldn't mind trying it out even though I'd never had any interest in playing MMOs in the past. Him and our son bought it for me for my birthday and I fell in love with it, playing it until the very moment it shut down.

I was so terrible at the game when I first started playing I couldn't figure out how to go up or down while hovering and spent level 5-14 trying to figure it out. It was when she got flying I finally figured it out. That was also the character who hit level 50 laying face down on the ground waiting to be revived by her teammates. I was lucky the people I regularly teamed with were patient and put up with my lack of game skills.
Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow.

Aleksandros

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 01:02:13 PM »
45 years old here, and seriously missing the City.  To fly it's skies and chat away with old friends from Virtue and Champion would be a definite upturn for my year.  Lifelong believer in the heroic ideal (Bullfinch's Mythology was one of the books I started out with back in the pre-PC age, around kindergarter/first grade), and comic reader and collector almost as long - CoH was the first (so far only) game I've found where it just felt like everything was right...

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2014, 01:28:36 PM »
46 am I

Blackstar5

• Lieutenant
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
I was 35 when I started playing, had looked at the game and almost bought it a few months before but my stance at the time was "I'm not paying a @#$% subscription after buying the game" When I did buy it it cost me $20 and I figured it had a month free so if i didn't like it i was out 20 bucks. Creating my first toon took me about a half hour but settled on a ice tank and when i zoned in to "Outbreak" my jaw dropped and I was instantly hooked.

lamer

• Underling
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
The demographics for this game really are diverse.

I'm 25. Started when I was 15.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2014, 02:47:21 AM »
and became a huge Kirby fan by 1968.

he is of course talking about the vaccuum cleaner not the pink ball-like nintendo character with similar operational features. speaking of which when I was little we went to the lilac festival one year and nintendo had a booth, Shigeru Miyamoto was there, my brother had at the time drawn a crude picture of a face with arms and legs (very short), I seem to remember he showed it to miyamoto, and then; kirby. that year I met Kelsy Grammer at the time famous for cheers and frasier.

at least, thats what I believe was my childhood, I'm still not sure, I have memories from the 1920's that don't match up at all and theres a guy with the same exact name as me who died in the 1920's, the FBI has been trying to contact me about it since I was a child (my "parents" only told me about it recently when I found out for myself due to a yahoo article talking about people's lost money and a link to help those people find it), apparently he had a life insurance account and no family to claim it when he "went missing and was presumed dead", why contact me? same name and I lived in the same city as he did; good old Rochester NY for you.

so, current time-line memories being correct I'm 28 years old born in 1985 december played CoH when I was 23, previous ones also being correct by some strange anomaly; I'd have been born in the 1870's -1880's making me around 139 years old to my best knowledge. The thought always comes what if I'm even older and just too senile to remember?- joke but at the same time part of me worries about what if it's true, maybe I should phone the FBI and see what they know see if it rings any bells.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.