Author Topic: Spam / Advertising Links Inserted  (Read 2619 times)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
Spam / Advertising Links Inserted
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »
So I checked the recent changes, and noticed three edits by a new user. The user deleted external links in articles, and inserted ad links in the middle of the articles. There's only three articles that were affected, and I undid the changes. I don't know if there's a report function, or something, so I thought I'd post here. I'm reasonably sure I don't have the authority to block the user or an IP.

While this was a minor occurrence, it did happen in the middle of the night (US time). Given the small amount of editors still working on the wiki, I'm concerned that an actual spam attack in the middle of the night would do a lot of annoying damage. Is there a way to prevent this?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
Re: Spam / Advertising Links Inserted
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
Nope, there's not really a report function. And nope, there's not really a way to prevent it. I'm pretty sure that when this happens, it's someone manually doing it since it requires creation of a Titan account. Since it's infrequent, I don't think they've automated that yet.

What you did is pretty much the best thing to do: revert the spam and let the admins know so we can block them.

If it's an enormous amount of spamming that would require a lot of manual work to clean up after, then just leave it be and let the admins know. I think we have tools somewhere that help clean up after something like that.