Author Topic: REMEMBER WE MUST HELP THE NEWBIES OUT  (Read 30177 times)

artbunker

• Lieutenant
REMEMBER WE MUST HELP THE NEWBIES OUT
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:39:39 PM »
I got a wierd but important question... When the game returns, how  best can we help out new players?

I ask this , because unlike last time, we might need to get new folks interested to spread the word about the game. I know being respectful and curtious to all new players is a given, but hopefully , someone,  be willing to "MENTOR" new folks into the game.

I know I got a person to show the ropes to once the game comes back. I will definatly be willing to help other new folks as well. I think its important to not hold new folks hands , but to at least give them some support  getting to know Atlas Park or even Mercy Island.

I would love to hear ideas of helping out new folks when the game comes back

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: REMEMBER WE MUST HELP THE NEWBIES OUT
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
Well, early on more experienced peeps would help out in the following ways:
-Provide Teleport Taxi service across zones
-Buff the lowbies
-Answer broadcast questions
-Hand out influence/Infamy/or any other rewards
-Run TFs/Trials/Raids or even lead a team for regular mishes  :roll:

Just a few suggestions that worked while the game was rolling.

It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Last Known Hero

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:53:49 PM »
I think a lot of the mentoring will happen naturally. If no characters can be brought back and everyone has to start over then the old players will be teaming with new ones anyways, and hopefully they pick up a few tricks from listening to some team chit-chat
Contender's Lil Bro - Stone/NRG Tank
Freedom

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »
Lets just hope we don't get a huge influx of newbies who try to help US out by trying
to force the holy trinity style of play.  :)

My biggest fear, that the new crop of players will completely change the culture of the game.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Gamerchamp

• Come from the Land Down
  • Lieutenant
  • City of Heroes/Villains
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »
That's also what I'm scared of silvers1 even though I have gotten used to it playing WoW I don't want the feel or touch of City of Heroes to change to holy trinity at all :S.

Anyway on topic

I have a couple friends from WoW who are definitely in when the game returns we would probably run a few missions mainly focus on the storyline whilst leveling up then the other part of fun begins at 50.

Get into some Task/Strike forces and trials do incarnate content etc.

I would probably mentor alot of the new people aswell seeing as we will all be starting at level 1 most likely.
@Str8Dumpin
Str8Dumpin Level 50 War Mace/Fiery Aura Tanker
Str8Away Level 50 Fire Control/Radiation Emission Controller
Str8Killer Level 50 Spines/Invulnerability Scrapper
Str8Ninja Level 50 Energy Melee/Ninjitsu Stalker

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:18:07 PM »
My experience with CoX culture was one of helping.

Being it was my first mmo, I had loads to learn and yet I met with little to no snarkiness. Which I cannot say about other mmos I have tried.

Sure I figured a lot out on my own, but stuff that wasn't immediately obvious I learned by asking.

I remember my first trip to Croatoa, I joined a duo and we did a kill the firbolg mish. I didn't know what that was, what they looked like. And instead of booting me or mocking me or rolling his eyes (figuratively) my team mate simply lead me to one and explained the use of the TAB key (lol) and whole worlds opened up for me.

This and other mercies I received along the path to dozens of 50's across multiple servers and accounts served me well and I have passed them on, and instructed others to do as well.

I hope to return and to have fun sharing with others!
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
Lets just hope we don't get a huge influx of newbies who try to help US out by trying

My biggest fear, that the new crop of players will completely change the culture of the game.

This could happen but I doubt it.  Sure some people will come and try to use the holy trinity.  But I know a lot of very hardcore MMO's that still played CoH the way we all did.  The holy trinity works.  But one day a tank, a DPS, and a healer will join a team.  And they will see a Defender and Blaster tearing through stuff, while a tank is off herding the whole map, and a scrapper just punching bosses to death at random.  And they will say "What the hell.......we don't even need to follow the holy trinity"  CoH is way, way , WAY more fun if you don't use the holy trinity I think and most people who have played MMO's catch on quickly, those who don't wont even know what the holy trinity is.  Also its extremely unnecessary as any character in the game is capable of being a 1 man wrecking team/certified bad-ass/god mode.

As for helping newbies I agree with what Power_Gamer said.  But either people will be experienced gamers/MMO players and probably won't need much help.  Or they are completely new in which case you just be nice and help them with what ever they need.  I personally use to go form mission teams in Atlas park with a few level 50 friends of mine and we would fill the rest of the spots with lowbies.  And then run council missions or a  mission that isn't full of like Carnies or some other awful enemy to fight with 2 powers.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 07:37:04 PM »
I have a whole video series in mind that i'll be making the scripts and points and whatnot the instant the game is announced coming back.  This video series will not be just to celebrate the game but to teach players how to play the game well, how to avoid the trinity, WHY avoiding the trinity is important to.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »

At least there would be a new crop of players.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 01:27:05 AM »

They'll be in for a shock when they fight anything other than council or freakshow and discover the holy trinity has so many holes in it.  I cannot count how many teams would get wiped when a single malta operative got behind them or a sapper got a lucky hit on the tanker that had no force multipliers.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:12 PM »

As long as it's not an influx of newbie devs... now that would suck. :)

if they tried that we would easily start showing them the error of their ways. They would be trained in weeks or less (depending on if we start fresh).

Then again, maybe we could get some more Penta tournaments going.
I loved it when my team won a tourney due to my using Black Hole from my Dark/Dark defender. The other team had a lead and were turtled up in a good defensive position. I used that power and half their team went intangible. We cleaned out the ones who were tangible and waited for the others. Took them a while to figure out what was going on since that power was universally hated.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:35 PM »
I do have to say I will help the new players as well, this is only game I have played where people go out of their way to explain everything and offer ideas on play styles. I hope I can help new players this way too.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 01:02:20 AM »
The game had always had a very helpful community. When the game comes back we'll do what we did before. No need for direction :)

I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:18 AM »
The game had always had a very helpful community. When the game comes back we'll do what we did before. No need for direction :)

Definently, I'm sure I'll get into conversations about healing vs damage mitigation as I had before with me pointing out how much more damage can be prevented with things like force fields or fortitude than could ever be healed if you only healed.  I'll be pointing out the merits and how much faster the game goes when you have defense buffs and how much funner it is to make use of them rather than neglecting them because the person providing them doesn't heal.

I won't be surprised if fruit salads join those conversations to.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 06:08:02 PM »

I plan to be one of the people forming TF's. that gives you the power to form just about how you want.

One of the great memories of the game was in the first 30 minutes I was in the game, someone opened a trade window with me and gave me 50k inf and told me good luck. I used to wander atlas park handing out inf to newbies. following sewer teams through the old sewers healing and buffing them.  was a lot of fun

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »
I don't mind helping new players. I've been playing City of Heroes since Issue 9 so I have 6 years of experience.

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 04:27:27 AM »
It's one thing to love this game, but (and not ashamed to say it) I literally dreamed about logging into CoV last night. I can still hear the phew sound as I hit the button. It's ringing in my ears and giving me perma-grin. If I actually get my characters back, it will be one of the happiest days of the last few years. I think the first thing I'll do after I go through and check everything out and get my memory back is to roll a brand new class I haven't played, skip the sewer, and go storyline to 50!
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
 This is the least of my worries.. the core culture of the game has always been people willing to help others.

katphoenix

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »
That's one of the things I miss the most about CoH, the community and how helpful people were.  I'm mostly not playing SWTOR at the moment, and if someone asks a question, more likely than not, they get a flippant, a non-answer, or a vulgar response.  I just don't remember that from CoH... did I just not see that stuff? am I just not remembering it?  I don't remember chat on CoH being a cesspool.  I am so hoping CoH comes back I don't care if I have to re-roll and re-level.  I will spend all my vacation time at work to have a CoH-cation... lol

Dal

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 05:51:03 PM »

One of the great memories of the game was in the first 30 minutes I was in the game, someone opened a trade window with me and gave me 50k inf and told me good luck. I used to wander atlas park handing out inf to newbies. following sewer teams through the old sewers healing and buffing them.  was a lot of fun
That happened to me as well, but in Mercy island. :)