Author Topic: Reloading  (Read 2074 times)

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
Reloading
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »
Hey there, everyone...

Since this is the section of the board where we can talk about off-topic stuff, I have a question for the members of this community that may have experience in this area:

I've started developing an interest recently in reloading my own bullets. The money I can save from doing that as opposed to buying a new box every time is just way too attractive.

Is there anyone here that has experience in this area of expertise, and if so, how did you learn about it? What are some of the best resources to research it? Best place to buy supplies? Do's and don'ts? Personal experiences?

Thanks for your time...
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
Re: Reloading
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »
I have  Lee reloader and dies for 45ACP and 9mm. Anything smaller than 9mm is just too tedious to reload. But you can definitely get used brass, bulk lead, and bulk powder way cheaper than the 50 cents per round for boxes of 45ACP.

Mine is all manual. basically, I do 100 at a time:
- un-prime 100 rounds, throw them in the tumbler, come back several hours later and brush them off
- re-prime them using a little hand-held unit that works really well
- look up how much powder I need based on powder type and slug weight, and set up the Lee for that, put powder into 100 cases
- set up the Lee for bullet-pressing, and press 100 bullets onto the cases.

Takes about an hour of actual work. Cost per 45ACP about 10 (lead wad-cutters) to 20 cents (FMJ). There's a lot of put it on, press the lever, take it off, grab the next one... very boring.

I'll add some pictures of my equipment when I get a few spare moments.

I've probably loaded about 2000 rounds of 45 over the years. Not sure if I ever even did any 9mm.

chuckv3

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »
If I recall correctly, I didn't want to spend much money at the time, since the idea was to reload in order to save money, so I got the most basic thing. Each single step requires grabbing a case from the pile (or the tray), putting it in the collar, pulling the handle to do the motion, then removing the case and putting it in the tray (or box). The handle angle can be adjusted, and it can be set up for left-handed by reversing the handle and moving one of the support pins (the 3 pins between the base and top plate).

Here's the basic mechanism, fitted with the de-priming attachment and collar (at the top of the post that moves up through the middle). Each pull drives the brass upward so a hardened pin at the top will pop the primer out. They get everywhere, so I usually do that step in the garage. My thumb is holding it down -- normally you bolt it to a workbench.

Here's the handheld primer (way faster and easier than using the big device):

Here's the main thing fitted for powder filling. Each pull-down of the handle forces that little disk back and forth once, dumping what's in the little center hole then returning under the cup to get refilled. It's all done by volume, so swapping the disks around is how you vary the amount of powder needed.

The here's the little rack you store the cases in between filling with powder and filling with a bullet.

What's not shown is a bullet setter and bullet crimper. Some folks who reload actually skip the "crimping" step since the bullets are usually in there good enough after the initial setter push (it crimps a little, but a crimper dies REALLY tightens it down). There's some voodoo in reloading circles about crimping allowing the powder to build up more pressure before the bullet flies, thereby giving you more speed and a flatter trajectory. I don't buy into that. Plus it's extra work.

I got this like 20 years ago, so no idea what they go for now, but my advice is to not bother with those fancy things that do everything like a factory line. You''l spend way more money, and they're not THAT much faster. Anyway, if you can find one of these and want my 9mm or 44 special die set, they're yours for the asking -- I never use them and all I have are 45ACP anyway now that I've sold and gifted all the 9mm pistols I had.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:23:48 PM by chuckv3 »

Tacitala

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
I know my dad used to do all of his own bullets (he mainly did target shooting, so he was making his own to increase accuracy as well as save cost) but he's passed away, so I can't ask where all he got his (my step-mom actually dislikes firearms, so she wouldn't know).

I do know that what really made a difference for him was being in various sport shooting clubs.  That gave him a place to compare prices and techniques when he was getting started (which he then went on to pass along the same info to younger shooters later on).  He also used it for contacts of where to buy equipment for better prices.  I'm not sure about what your area is like but if you check with a nearby (reputable and well run) gun shop they may be able to help you find a club (or even just someone to ask).
"And I, of course, am innocent of all but malice."
- Princess Fiona of Amber

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 07:47:06 PM »
Hey, guys! Thanks for your replies! 9mm is what I'm primarily interested in doing, since two of my guns take that (Beretta CX4 Storm and Ruger SR9). I have a Walther PK380 and a S&W .38 Special snub nose, but those are primarily for self-defense. I don't anticipate having to put a lot of rounds through those except to just stay proficient in them. The other two, however, I'd like to do a lot more sports shooting with, so I'm thinking I'll go through a lot of rounds there. I may take you up on the 9mm die set if I can pick up one of those "Lee" presses.

Thanks for the pics! That helps a visual person like me. I'm pretty much a newbie in the bullet reloading world, but with bullet prices going the way they are, I'm pretty much forced into looking into alternatives like this.

Preciate your time.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »
Only thing I remember from guns is you have to clean the weapon for 3 hrs after firing it for about 20 minutes...
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
I'm pretty new at it too, I've only done 600 or so rounds of 38, but 15 cents a round is a lot nicer than 40.

I have a 5 position Lee Press but only use 3 positions.  I run expended shells through to deprime the old primer, then clean and polish them so the primer pocket is also cleaned.  I learned after my first batch that like chuckv3, I prefer to use the hand primer.

Put a movie on, pull the lever, place a bullet, push the lever, repeat...once in a while pause and empty your tub.

Check youtube for videos about setting up and using whatever press you end up buying.  I bought mine from the range I belong to and the guy there set it up for me

Excidia
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.