Author Topic: Valiance Online Dev Goes Crazy, Posts Public AMA  (Read 27136 times)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
Valiance Online Dev Goes Crazy, Posts Public AMA
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
Hey all. My name is Nathan V, AKA "Chance" and I'm the Design Director for Valiance Online. We've been making a lot of progress this year and come September there will be many of you who will have the chance to see this progress first hand. We're all very excited about the coming few months and what we've got planned.

Today, however, I thought I'd take a little time to talk to you all and host an Ask Me Anything.

I'll get the easy stuff out of the way first. I'm 31 (32 next month). I work nights as a club DJ and I'm a writer by hobby. I was initially brought on to Valiance as a writer, then started helping out in other areas, getting things more organized and got promoted to Design Director. I've been writing, designing, building, playing and breaking down games and systems for the last 15-20 years. I'm an avid roleplayer and RP enthusiast. In City of Heroes I spent most of my time playing on Guardian, Freedom and Virtue, though I took occasional side trips to Infinity and Champion.

If you haven't had the chance yet, have a listen to the team's interview on Namesake Radio  http://www.namesakeradio.com/#!forums/ca55

So, at long last I'll stop rambling here and open the floor for you all. Feel free to, as the thread says, Ask Me Anything.  8)

plutocracy

• Underling
Re: Valiance Online Dev Goes Crazy, Posts Public AMA
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or one hundred duck-sized horses?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »
Would you rather fight one horse-sized duck or one hundred duck-sized horses?

Bring on the horse-sized duck!  ;D

plutocracy

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »
Bring on the horse-sized duck!  ;D

Respect for your bravery, I wouldn't have the guts.

On a serious note though, I played in some of the early alpha tests, when the menus and character creation looked like a D&D game, and I've checked in every now and then since. How satisfied are you at this point with the progress you and the team have made since then? Changing horses in midstream has both pros (existing engine/client/server development) and cons (re-adapting mechanics/assets), do you feel you've been making acceptable headway in leveraging the advantages while minimizing the disadvantages in the time since VO was announced?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:25:57 PM »
Quote from: plutocracy
How satisfied are you at this point with the progress you and the team have made since then? Changing horses in midstream has both pros (existing engine/client/server development) and cons (re-adapting mechanics/assets), do you feel you've been making acceptable headway in leveraging the advantages while minimizing the disadvantages in the time since VO was announced?

Actually our progress has been better than I expected. 4 months ago, I was rather worried by the amount of stuff that hadn't been nailed down, so that was my first task was to make sure we got concepts and ideas locked down. It's easy enough to sit back and daydream about the perfect game or perfect system but dreams aren't something players can interact with (at least not until science can manage brain interlinking, but that's a different subject ;) ). In this time, we've gotten a handle on the various systems, wrangled them into a workable state, and have been improving our internal pipelines enough to make real, tangible progress. It hasn't been the easiest thing, jumping in in the middle like I have but I'm proud of the work the team has done and we've had very little in the way of difficulty since.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »
Don't be shy y'all. I don't bite that hard  ;)

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 04:20:43 PM »
What do you feel will be the biggest differences and similarities between VO and CoX in terms of gameplay mechanics?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
What do you feel will be the biggest differences and similarities between VO and CoX in terms of gameplay mechanics?

The biggest similarities are going to be the 'feel' of the game. I know that's a very elusive and difficult thing to nail down, but that's one of our big goals. It's not just the customization or the numbers or the animations, it's something of a perfect storm between all of them that can either make your character feel like just another mook or like the one that could go toe-to-toe with those GMs and AVs. We're fortunate in that we've got not only an example of what works, but what doesn't, and we can look at these and figure out 'why'.

There are going to be plenty of differences though because some of the things that CoH did either won't work for our world and would break the consistency of it, or because we feel that CoH didn't go quite far enough with them. Without going into too much detail on things we haven't released yet, we want our players to be important to the world, for them being there and the decisions they make to actually matter.

Stormie

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:32:15 PM »
Will there be radiation powers?  If I wanted to rebuild my rad/rad corruptor could I?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »
Will there be radiation powers?  If I wanted to rebuild my rad/rad corruptor could I?

Yes to the first question. As for the second, that's possible although it will not be exact because of variations in our system from what CoX had.  :D

plutocracy

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 04:44:06 PM »
What one thing that CoX did do you want to implement or expound upon?

Also, what one thing would you not do at all?

Dannii

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
How can someone get in on the alpha testing?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
What one thing that CoX did do you want to implement or expound upon?

Also, what one thing would you not do at all?

CoX's customization was amazing. Seriously amazing. To this day it's one of the ones we all still talk about, from costumes to powers and everything else. It is, to me, still the final word on being able to make what you want how you want short of a 'virtual world' like Second Life or the like.

One thing we want to avoid at all costs is creating NPCs that out-strip and out-shine our players entirely. If they are designed well (and they are) their stories alone should be interesting without resorting to "Oh, X character is godlike" (*coughStatesmancough*)  8)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »
How can someone get in on the alpha testing?

Have patience :) Seriously, that's all it takes. As we announced in the interview, we're launching the next pre-alpha build on Sept 12th to give our current investors a chance to look around and poke things. Shortly after that we've got a list of play testers to come in and do their best to find broken things. Then we're going to start opening the floodgates to everyone. The more of you we have, the more we know what our current architecture can handle.

That having been said, allow me to temper expectations somewhat. This game is still pre-Alpha because we don't have all the systems we'd like in place, nor all the art (including animations), and so on. Things will start to change rapidly though because once it is in your hands, we're not going to have much time to breathe, let alone sit back on our collective laurels. :)

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
I'll be honest I only recently found out that Valiance online was a thing because I had been mostly concentrating on City of Titans, but after checking out your site it looks like its going to be awesome!
I do have a couple of questions in regards to NPC's though, as whilst City of Heroes had unparalleled customization there were a lot of NPC costume pieces that were off limits to the player; the original Circle of thorns, 5th column, and sky raiders come to mind. Do you think this will also be a thing in Valiance Online as well? Or will most of the humanoid enemy groups costume pieces be accessible in some way?

Thanks for doing this AMA and good luck with the development of the game :)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
I do have a couple of questions in regards to NPC's though, as whilst City of Heroes had unparalleled customization there were a lot of NPC costume pieces that were off limits to the player; the original Circle of thorns, 5th column, and sky raiders come to mind. Do you think this will also be a thing in Valiance Online as well? Or will most of the humanoid enemy groups costume pieces be accessible in some way?

Thank you for such a good question :D
NPC's should have a unique look to them. They should stand out and have something 'special'. That being said, denying the 'special' to our players is a bit like the Devs saying "Lookie what I got! NO! You cannot haz! Mine!" Now, that's very unfair I realize and it makes it sound far more childish than the actuality.

On the other hand! I don't think special pieces should just be given out willy nilly either. If they're just given away, then they have no real meaning nor value other than "Oh, that looks cool" and really, that doesn't separate it from any other costume piece.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
Will you be able to retcon/respec your character? And if so, will you have COX's "All or Nothing" approach or something like Champion Online's "One power at a time" option?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »
Will you be able to retcon/respec your character? And if so, will you have COX's "All or Nothing" approach or something like Champion Online's "One power at a time" option?

Yes. And it will be more along the lines of CoX's full respec because of some interesting new mechanics that we...haven't announced yet ;)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 07:12:40 PM »
Keep firing away with those questions :D I've got plenty of time and "Generic Energy Drink"  8)

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
at least not until science can manage brain interlinking
Direct neural interface technology is not as far away as people think.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:52 PM »
Direct neural interface technology is not as far away as people think.

Oh I know! Exciting times. I love to stay up on all the recent science news I can digest.  ;D

Inkblaster

• Underling
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
Are you keeping expansion in mind for when/if level cap is increased?  CoX, and many MMOs get into trouble when increasing level cap, and not mapping out the power/spells roadmap to match the new levels.
-Ink

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:13:34 PM »
Are you keeping expansion in mind for when/if level cap is increased?  CoX, and many MMOs get into trouble when increasing level cap, and not mapping out the power/spells roadmap to match the new levels.

We are definitely keeping this in mind. Some of the most painful processes for an MMO is power/level creep. As it stands for now, we know where our current cap is and don't plan to expand above that in a direct way. This will be made easier somewhat for us because we're starting our content off below our planned maximum and then expanding the content as time and funding allows.

Apocalord

• Mr. Paragon City 2016
  • Underling
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 09:53:22 PM »
What are the minimum specifications for the game?I tried to find out a while ago and couldn't find anything.I have an older computer that isn't dual-core but it did play City of Heroes well,most new games seem to need dual-core processors now.I'm hoping this doesn't as I am looking forward to playing it and supporting the good work you guys have been doing.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »
What are the minimum specifications for the game?

We don't have that as of yet. We're still running an unoptimized version of the game at the moment but that is a part of what the upcoming release will help us to sort out.

Inkblaster

• Underling
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 10:17:53 PM »
Have you thought of any mobile apps to augment the game?  Like a character creator you can fiddle with?  I mean, who needs to work, or eat, or sleep, right?
-Ink

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:16 PM »
Have you thought of any mobile apps to augment the game?  Like a character creator you can fiddle with?  I mean, who needs to work, or eat, or sleep, right?

Haha, actually that's something I've been thinking about personally but haven't sprung on the team yet ;) I figure it's better to let them focus on the core game, then, assuming all goes well, we can expand it out in other ways. Now, certainly, you wouldn't be playing Valiance Online on your phone, but there's plenty of other things that can be done accessing the game through a mobile platform.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 11:37:21 PM »
Unity's basic requirements: OS: Windows XP+, Mac OS X 10.6+, Ubuntu 10.10+, SteamOS+
Graphics card: DX9 (shader model 2.0) capabilities; generally everything made since 2004 should work.
CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.
Web player supports IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and others.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 11:40:27 PM »
If you are stuck with a single core I would cram as much ram in as I could, swap in a ssd and get at least a 500 series Nvidia card(can't speak to ATI cards, never used one)

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 11:41:55 PM »
Windows 7 is a must have as well. 8 sucks butt :P

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 11:43:42 PM »
Windows 7 is a must have as well. 8 sucks butt :P

This I cannot possibly agree with enough   ;D

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
I would like to know if there will be web/wire/rope/? slinging/swinging abilities.

I would also like to know if there will be commanding of minions.

And if there will be minions that can be commanded, will there Amazon Women that I can command.

And if there will be Amazonian Women minions to command, will I get to dress them as I see fit.  Tastefully, of course.

Um.... Oh, when one is flying (assuming one can fly) will there be total 360/360 freedom of range of movement?  In otherwords, can I actually do a loop-de-loop, barrel roll, aileron roll, split S, immelman, these sorts of maneuver?  It's quite irritating to be stopped at a full verticle when trying to loop, and let's face it, a victory roll would be entirely sweet.  While I could understand CoH's limitation on this, it was jarring to the extreme to find this to be the case with Star Trek Online.  That and not being able to warp away while in battle.  As if.  Perfectly acceptable move to get away from **FOUR** Borg Spheres.  But no, I had to battle all four of those bastids, and I *WON* with my lil' Reliant-type ship (forgive me, the class escapes me at the moment.  I'll have an 'aha!' later, I'm sure.)  It took me forever, but I beat 'em all.  And no loops.  No rolls.  I am well aware of aerial/spatial maneuvers, and believe you me when I say never was I so frustrated at a game when I couldn't loop or roll to bring my guns to bear upon my enemy.... But I had to finish the battles for I needed to beam down to see what that was like.  But after I figured out StO was not for me, I ragequit that game and never looked back, the physics were just that horrid.

Um... so yeah, rolls/loops while in flight?  Yes or not?

I think that'll do for now.  Can't wait to see the progress!  Thanks!

Edit:  AHA!  Miranda Class!  I had 'Mutara' in my brain, but then it got cleared out.  Now I remembered.  Yay me or something, right? :D

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2014, 11:51:08 PM »
Microcrap is pulling another Vista on us with Door 8. Door 8 is Vista and Door 9 will be the equivalent of 7.  If you have to upgrade Operating systems wait til 3 or 4 months after 9 is released for all the drivers to stabilize.  I wish Linux wasn't such a pain to play games on.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 11:54:27 PM »
  Tastefully, of course.

By tastefully you mean nakkid or in a tastefully tiny set of Holleywood armor(bikini), Right?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »
Haha, love the enthusiasm, houtex. Lemme break this down...

I would like to know if there will be web/wire/rope/? slinging/swinging abilities.

We haven't announced our options for travel powers just yet. We're still inputting all the ways for you to pummel foes as our primary focus.

I would also like to know if there will be commanding of minions.

Yes  8) I don't know if it will be ready by this first iteration, given our current hardware limitations, but we are getting systems in place.

And if there will be minions that can be commanded, will there Amazon Women that I can command.

I dunno, I heard they can be a rather temperamental lot ;)

And if there will be Amazonian Women minions to command, will I get to dress them as I see fit.  Tastefully, of course.

See last answer :D

Um.... Oh, when one is flying (assuming one can fly) will there be total 360/360 freedom of range of movement?  In otherwords, can I actually do a loop-de-loop, barrel roll, aileron roll, split S, immelman, these sorts of maneuver?  It's quite irritating to be stopped at a full verticle when trying to loop, and let's face it, a victory roll would be entirely sweet.  While I could understand CoH's limitation on this, it was jarring to the extreme to find this to be the case with Star Trek Online.  That and not being able to warp away while in battle.  As if.  Perfectly acceptable move to get away from **FOUR** Borg Spheres.  But no, I had to battle all four of those bastids, and I *WON* with my lil' Reliant-type ship (forgive me, the class escapes me at the moment.  I'll have an 'aha!' later, I'm sure.)  It took me forever, but I beat 'em all.  And no loops.  No rolls.  I am well aware of aerial/spatial maneuvers, and believe you me when I say never was I so frustrated at a game when I couldn't loop or roll to bring my guns to bear upon my enemy.... But I had to finish the battles for I needed to beam down to see what that was like.  But after I figured out StO was not for me, I ragequit that game and never looked back, the physics were just that horrid.

Um... so yeah, rolls/loops while in flight?  Yes or not?

That I'll actually have to talk to our tech guy about, but I would love to see it myself :)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »
By tastefully you mean nakkid or in a tastefully tiny set of Holleywood armor(bikini), Right?

To quote Takei... "Ohhh myyyy..."  8)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 05:14:56 AM »
For the record, I'm still awake for another hour. But if I miss a few questions during my downtime, I'll swing back around and answer them when I get a...Chance ;)

Petite

• Underling
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 05:55:15 AM »
Hi!  Ok.  Hope you're still awake.  I put aside getting ready for a gaming session and dealt with some password problems, but I have arrived!

I'm an assistant manager at GameStop, I write game reviews which have been published in a local magazine and I run a gaming blog.  So.  First question, would it be possible to land some kind of interview or get my hands, eyes on some new work, get into the alpha/beta etc?  I'm a fellow obsessive former Hero/Villain, and anything that would help publicize your project or really, anything I can do at all, would be awesome.

Secondly, in what ways would you say Valiance Online is different or daresay better than City of Titans, since the projects seem very similar and started from the same idea?

Thirdly, will VO follow in Elder Scroll's, DCUO's, and Destiny's footsteps and be multiplatform or will we only see this game on PC, with perhaps some mobile aspects?

Thank you!

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »
Hi!  Ok.  Hope you're still awake.  I put aside getting ready for a gaming session and dealt with some password problems, but I have arrived!

Welcome! :D

I'm an assistant manager at GameStop, I write game reviews which have been published in a local magazine and I run a gaming blog.  So.  First question, would it be possible to land some kind of interview or get my hands, eyes on some new work, get into the alpha/beta etc?  I'm a fellow obsessive former Hero/Villain, and anything that would help publicize your project or really, anything I can do at all, would be awesome.

Funny! I was 'employed' by GameStop (for all I know I still am! haha) during the holiday season last year. Unfortunately the store was never given the hours to train me, but I got to enjoy the perks all the same ;)

I'm sure we can arrange an interview of some sort, I'll just have to work it out with our team on the specifics, but if you'll drop a line on our forums, I'll make sure the right people see it and we can get the ball rolling on that. Whew, I should breathe occasionally huh?

Secondly, in what ways would you say Valiance Online is different or daresay better than City of Titans, since the projects seem very similar and started from the same idea?

We have something that can be played? :P Just teasing! We love the CoT team and wish them all the best for their project. Ours is different because we're in a different time, different side of the country, different systems being set up, and a different flavor to the world as a whole. Hell, beyond "There are superheroes and they have powers. Oh! And lotsa costumes" there's not a whole lot that is similar.

Thirdly, will VO follow in Elder Scroll's, DCUO's, and Destiny's footsteps and be multiplatform or will we only see this game on PC, with perhaps some mobile aspects?

Thank you!

For now, we're going to stick with PC. It's what we all know and love and while controllers these days may have more buttons than you've got fingers, I feel they're more suited towards the 'action RPG' genre. We took a look at those sorts of systems and, to be honest, we weren't thrilled. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, but to me, when a character relies on your ability to aim at a target, then it becomes a matter of "Do you weigh player skills over character skills?" and that tends to cause a break in character. As an example to this, I harken back to D&D or nearly any other TT roleplaying game. It didn't matter how accurately you pointed your finger at the DM, it mattered what your character was capable of doing based on their skills. That, to me, is what made the characters feel all the more, for lack of a better term, badass when fighting and something we wanted to carry over.

As I said before though, adding a mobile portal of some sort isn't entirely out of the cards, we just need to focus on our core game at the moment though and stash that idea for further down the line.

Petite

• Underling
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 06:41:26 AM »
Where would be the best place in the forums to drop said line?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 06:42:49 AM »
Where would be the best place in the forums to drop said line?

In General Discussion is fine :)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 09:02:04 AM »

Benjonesart

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »
Valiance Online
Art Direction
Ben Jones

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 04:19:28 PM »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
Do you have it worked out exactly how enhancements/gear will be working in the game?  One of the things I liked about COX was the simplicity of how the enhancement system started out. Sure, IOs made it a bit more complicated later on, but there was still the option to slot a couple of accuracies, damages, sleeps, holds, etc. in the power. :D

Skipjack

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2014, 04:51:15 PM »
Well..That's a question.. :D

It will have a rather marked effect on the game and experience. We have nearly 100 years of history that our content team has come up with to draw from. A lot has happened to change the world and explain what you, the player, will encounter as you play. We're not going to give it to you all up front though, after all, part of the fun is in exploring to find out more, yeah? ;)

That is, on the whole, going to be up to the player. We felt it would be a disservice to you all if we demanded that you stick to one genre or type alone. That's not what CoX was about, so it is not what we will be about. You want your character to be a time-travelling ghost robot from the other side of the cosmos who calls upon mystical powers of another dimension to work your mojo? Go for it! :D

Yes.  8) Simple enough..Moving along.

There are plenty of 'normal' humans left. I hear they're the most populous species on the planet ;) But to be less cheeky, not everyone has Google Glass, but everyone knows about it, right? Not everyone has a SYNAPSE chip in their computer and fewer people know what that is. There are layers to the world around us, so there are layers to the game as well. We felt that was an important aspect to retain in our game.

Right now out there in the world are people running sprint races with artificial limbs. But this hasn't stopped other athletes from training to compete or inspired them to hack their legs off. Some people feel the need to push themselves, mentally, physically to the peak of their ability regardless of the options out there to push further. I don't ever see that changing.

Given that much of this is stuff I wrote, it better be in there or I'm going to have to have a long talk with the content team ;)

We will have to be somewhat delicate with these things.

Yes.  8) Again, slightly less cheeky, the city is a fictional one, which also means you're not going to look it up on Wikipedia for clues about the backstory, though there will be plenty of those within the city itself.

Previous answer, first word. And I have to leave it at that or my Content lead might just decide to assassinate me :P

"Get your ass to MARS!" Heh heh..Love that movie.
Oh darn, look at the time, I can answer maybe 4 more questions...

Oh look at that, four questions :D The first one has been answered as far as I am able to right now (I gotta leave some spotlight room for everyone after all ;) ). Yes to the second. You'll have to explain that third one a little better, I'm not sure I understand the question there, could you explain a little more? I haven't actually had the time to look at any other games in a few months lol That last one would be awesome though, but I think Ben would strangle me if I suggested it right now. He's our solo, overworked underpaid artist at the moment :)

I'm going to keep popping back in here, at least until I grow bored or the team suggests I shut up ;)

Oh don't worry Chance your transhumanism stuff will be used and expounded upon... 

Hi folks I am the Content Lead for VO.  I will also try to answer some questions!  Though Chance knows the lore very very well so he covered most of it already.

Space is certainly going to be included.  ;)

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2014, 04:59:53 PM »
Haha, love the enthusiasm, houtex. Lemme break this down...

We haven't announced our options for travel powers just yet. We're still inputting all the ways for you to pummel foes as our primary focus.
(Was in reference to Web/rope/cable/? slinging/travel) So you're saying there's a chance?  YES!  You heard it here, folks, Quake Guy grappling hook travel powers are comin' soon!  Oh, and I suppose something something arachnoguyish webs...

Yes  8) I don't know if it will be ready by this first iteration, given our current hardware limitations, but we are getting systems in place.
(re: Minion commanding) Cool.

I dunno, I heard they can be a rather temperamental lot ;)
(re:commanding Amazonian Womens)  That's ok, I'm a charmer, Themiscyran or no. :)  I mean, if Diana and Bruce could possibly...

See last answer :D
(re:tastefully clothing Amazon Womens) Well, it's not like their dress is usually not awesome anyway... but still, more of a 'can I make costumes for my minions, or would they be canned in clothing/makeup/make up'? question, that.  Just hidden because, well, Amazonian Womens. :D

That I'll actually have to talk to our tech guy about, but I would love to see it myself :)
(re: full freedom of acrobatics for aerial/space manuvers, aka 360/360 freedom of movement) Another 'you heard it here', full freedom of aerial acrobatics!  Sweet!

---

Wanna thank you for the time and responses, Chance.  Can't wait to see more! 

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2014, 05:29:46 PM »

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
Don't tell me I've managed to outlast your curiosity  8)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »
I could ask lots of other questions, I'm sure, but I don't want to hog all the attention. :D

How about this one? Will there be plans for an eventual Mission Architect-like feature?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03:34 AM »
I could ask lots of other questions, I'm sure, but I don't want to hog all the attention. :D

How about this one? Will there be plans for an eventual Mission Architect-like feature?

We're still discussing that one, but I would love to do it personally. If it's something we do it will have to be later on down the line though, given the amount of work it will take to get it implemented.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2014, 03:29:45 AM »
Will there be features shared between the website and game, like Neverwinter's gateway?

You'll have to explain that third one a little better, I'm not sure I understand the question there, could you explain a little more? I haven't actually had the time to look at any other games in a few months lol

There are other examples I could use instead of NW's Gateway, and all of them have various features. In NW, like WoW, you can log into the website and monitor your character and gear stats. Long ago in Champions Online, you used to be able to write your bio--and view other peoples bios--from the website; using simple HTML formatting, to boot, unlike CoH's bios, which only allowed plain text. On Eve Online's website, you can not only monitor your character's skill development but set skills to train offline (if you meet the necessary requirements in-game). As I understand it, Vanguard automatically created a blog for your character on its website, building a history of tales and other achievements based on your deeds inside the game, but I don't know if it could be viewed publicly or had privacy controls. Even the world's first mainstream MMORPG, Ultima Online, had a feature called MyUO as far back as 1997, where you could view a real-time representation of your character, his or her gear, guild affiliations and current wars, and so on. Earth and Beyond had no such feature, but the team behind the Earth and Beyond Emulator has built functionality into a web portal that allows you to send email to other characters, move items between characters, share a guild vault, and so on.

I'm going to keep popping back in here, at least until I grow bored or the team suggests I shut up ;)

One of the nicest features about City of Heroes was one that many players couldn't live without; unfortunately, they also took it for granted, forgot to ask other studios for it until it was too late, and thus it has never appeared in another super hero MMORPG. That feature is its UI. Simple on the outside, rich and as customizable as your characters on the inside, CoH's UI allowed you to create new power trays, bend and reshape them, and place them around your screen, right where you needed them. Button-mashers who didn't use hot keys for every power were able to cut down on wrist injuries and eye strain. There were also power monitors, little bitty windows that you could place on your screen anywhere you wanted that monitored flight speed, DPS, influence, and so on. You didn't have to enter a separate mode to manipulate them and drag them around. You could just drag them around or lock them right on the screen. All in all, the design of the UI boiled down to a principle that Paragon Studios held high: consideration.

All I can say is, I hope it's not too late to [yet again] ask a studio for this while they're developing a super hero MMO.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:11 AM »
Alright Cap E..You win, I'm not quoting all of that lol

For your first part I finally understand what you mean :) I just needed a little context. That I would like to do and make it as feature rich as possible (along with the mobile platform tie in), but that's far future if ever. Gotta remember, we're not a full fledged studio as of yet so, temper expectations for the time being ;)

As for the second half, our tech guy is building the game with a fully customizable UI in mind from the outset, so there will be plenty of support for that :)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2014, 04:08:07 AM »
Cool on both fronts. Especially the latter, considering the age demographics; I bet all of the crappy UIs out there are killing some eyes and wrists!

As for the former, no one is going to hang you for that. I don't know if the network code is any harder to implement later than it is to do it sooner. But it's a nice feature to have. Nuff said! (I forgot to mention though, with NW's Gateway, players can also do their crafting.)

Thanks especially for the lore answers y'all responded with. I knew you couldn't give many specific answers and I actually got more than I expected. My intent was to probe around and see how confident you are in those developments, and whether the terms I used made sense to the team. Very satisfactory responses all around, thank you.

houtex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
I had a thought.

I wanna be a Leech.

Well, not exactly Leech, mind, but a leech.  A gloomy character that could just stand in a group of Bad People(tm).  And was protected enough to withstand some assaulting.  But would not fire off any power... he/she would just stand there... and then... the Bad People(tm) would just sort of... die/be defeated/get conquered/ whatever you'd be callin' that.

They're so depressed/dark/angry/fired up/? that they suck the HP/life/? outta the enemies, all whilst he/she just stands there... and the Bad People just drop from exhaustion/extingishment.

In CoH you had Fire aura, Dark aura, spines, and other AoEs that would sorta get you there, but they were few and far between.  Would that one could combine them in a special mix and make some sort of AoE-inator that wouldn't fire any shots, but you'd still go down.

So... I guess that's not particularly a question, I just sorta would like to have something like that.  But if I hadda put it in a question: Will we see that sort of thing be possible?  A character of 'suckage'?

Benjonesart

• Underling
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
I had a thought.

I wanna be a Leech.

Well, not exactly Leech, mind, but a leech.  A gloomy character that could just stand in a group of Bad People(tm).  And was protected enough to withstand some assaulting.  But would not fire off any power... he/she would just stand there... and then... the Bad People(tm) would just sort of... die/be defeated/get conquered/ whatever you'd be callin' that.

They're so depressed/dark/angry/fired up/? that they suck the HP/life/? outta the enemies, all whilst he/she just stands there... and the Bad People just drop from exhaustion/extingishment.

In CoH you had Fire aura, Dark aura, spines, and other AoEs that would sorta get you there, but they were few and far between.  Would that one could combine them in a special mix and make some sort of AoE-inator that wouldn't fire any shots, but you'd still go down.

So... I guess that's not particularly a question, I just sorta would like to have something like that.  But if I hadda put it in a question: Will we see that sort of thing be possible?  A character of 'suckage'?

I do believe we had a vampiric style set in the works but not sure if its still on our primary list. And feel free to post these comments because you never know, you might think of something we haven't. One thing we are preaching for our community, never be afraid to voice your opinion because we are watching and listening very closely. 
Valiance Online
Art Direction
Ben Jones

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2014, 03:39:54 PM »
  But if I hadda put it in a question: Will we see that sort of thing be possible?  A character of 'suckage'?

Yeah, that sort of thing is potentially possible. I'll say we don't have a specific set in place for that at the moment but it is not outside the bounds of possibility.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
Guess who's back, back again?

;)

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
Guess who's back, back again?

;)

Slimy Shady?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2014, 10:29:53 PM »
Slimy Shady?

My motives are above all reproach!  8)

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »
Well, I just wanna thank Chance and all you heroes at VO for giving us all (and especially me) a big info resource on the VO front! I've been totally curious as to what has been transpiring in Valiance land and this thread has been a real kick in the pants! I look forward to experiencing some of this world! Thank you again!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 03:34:53 AM »
Well, I just wanna thank Chance and all you heroes at VO for giving us all (and especially me) a big info resource on the VO front! I've been totally curious as to what has been transpiring in Valiance land and this thread has been a real kick in the pants! I look forward to experiencing some of this world! Thank you again!

You're welcome :) I still pop in from time to time (when I have the time). There are big things afoot though and the next two weeks are going to be very exciting for the team.  8)

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
If you are stuck with a single core I would cram as much ram in as I could, swap in a ssd and get at least a 500 series Nvidia card(can't speak to ATI cards, never used one)

More RAM isn't going to help much.

Currently Unity is 32-bit only.  So it's only going to use about 1.5-1.7 GB of memory before it gets unstable.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »
I think you made the right decision. You've worked hard to create your own world and you've gone too far to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and given that your game takes place in the future it would have been hard to place it within the COX framework.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:45 AM »
I think you made the right decision. You've worked hard to create your own world and you've gone too far to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and given that your game takes place in the future it would have been hard to place it within the COX framework.

Indeed, in our case it just didn't seem feasible. We're glad that so many have been understanding and supportive of the decision.   8)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:13 AM »
Indeed, in our case it just didn't seem feasible. We're glad that so many have been understanding and supportive of the decision.   8)
Do what is right for your project. Plus can be readdressed in the future as well.

Samurai Cowgirl

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2014, 12:02:32 AM »

Yeh, I can see where you going here, added to that all the dangers of external licenses.
Anyways .. Looking forward to seeing how the game looks since the little visit I got in on pre-pre open pre-alpha day. Good Luck

If your still answering questions (and it could be a bit premature for 100% answer .. but definably not to early for the devs to think about .. and I could have missed the answer too)

What kind of pay system are you thinking.. Subs Only/Hybrid/Pay-Per-Expansion .. Cash-Vanity Shop .. Earnable Cash Systems?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:51:23 PM by Samurai Cowgirl »
Always be Stylin!

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
What kind of pay system are you thinking.. Subs Only/Hybrid/Pay-Per-Expansion .. Cash-Vanity Shop .. Earnable Cash Systems?

We're looking at a hybrid system of subscription/f2p. I can't go into much more detail on it at the moment though.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
We're looking at a hybrid system of subscription/f2p. I can't go into much more detail on it at the moment though.

Not sure if you've seen this article:  http://martiancraft.com/blog/2014/08/an-unreal-decision/

Have you encountered similar issues in your development cycle with Unity (bumping into the limits of the 32-bit engine, cross-platform being either painful or expensive to deal with, etc).