Author Topic: Valiance Online Dev Goes Crazy, Posts Public AMA  (Read 27134 times)

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
Re: Valiance Online Dev Goes Crazy, Posts Public AMA
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 02:01:48 AM »
Well, I just wanna thank Chance and all you heroes at VO for giving us all (and especially me) a big info resource on the VO front! I've been totally curious as to what has been transpiring in Valiance land and this thread has been a real kick in the pants! I look forward to experiencing some of this world! Thank you again!
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 03:34:53 AM »
Well, I just wanna thank Chance and all you heroes at VO for giving us all (and especially me) a big info resource on the VO front! I've been totally curious as to what has been transpiring in Valiance land and this thread has been a real kick in the pants! I look forward to experiencing some of this world! Thank you again!

You're welcome :) I still pop in from time to time (when I have the time). There are big things afoot though and the next two weeks are going to be very exciting for the team.  8)

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
If you are stuck with a single core I would cram as much ram in as I could, swap in a ssd and get at least a 500 series Nvidia card(can't speak to ATI cards, never used one)

More RAM isn't going to help much.

Currently Unity is 32-bit only.  So it's only going to use about 1.5-1.7 GB of memory before it gets unstable.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2014, 04:14:43 PM »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »
I think you made the right decision. You've worked hard to create your own world and you've gone too far to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and given that your game takes place in the future it would have been hard to place it within the COX framework.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:45 AM »
I think you made the right decision. You've worked hard to create your own world and you've gone too far to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and given that your game takes place in the future it would have been hard to place it within the COX framework.

Indeed, in our case it just didn't seem feasible. We're glad that so many have been understanding and supportive of the decision.   8)

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:13 AM »
Indeed, in our case it just didn't seem feasible. We're glad that so many have been understanding and supportive of the decision.   8)
Do what is right for your project. Plus can be readdressed in the future as well.

Samurai Cowgirl

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2014, 12:02:32 AM »

Yeh, I can see where you going here, added to that all the dangers of external licenses.
Anyways .. Looking forward to seeing how the game looks since the little visit I got in on pre-pre open pre-alpha day. Good Luck

If your still answering questions (and it could be a bit premature for 100% answer .. but definably not to early for the devs to think about .. and I could have missed the answer too)

What kind of pay system are you thinking.. Subs Only/Hybrid/Pay-Per-Expansion .. Cash-Vanity Shop .. Earnable Cash Systems?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:51:23 PM by Samurai Cowgirl »
Always be Stylin!

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2014, 01:59:47 AM »
What kind of pay system are you thinking.. Subs Only/Hybrid/Pay-Per-Expansion .. Cash-Vanity Shop .. Earnable Cash Systems?

We're looking at a hybrid system of subscription/f2p. I can't go into much more detail on it at the moment though.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
We're looking at a hybrid system of subscription/f2p. I can't go into much more detail on it at the moment though.

Not sure if you've seen this article:  http://martiancraft.com/blog/2014/08/an-unreal-decision/

Have you encountered similar issues in your development cycle with Unity (bumping into the limits of the 32-bit engine, cross-platform being either painful or expensive to deal with, etc).