Author Topic: New efforts! -- metadiscussion  (Read 82585 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts! -- metadiscussion
« Reply #240 on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:15 AM »
Wow, 7.5 hours since the last post. Did I kill this thread?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #241 on: September 04, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Wow, 7.5 hours since the last post. Did I kill this thread?

Nah, I think most discussion is going on in the "New Efforts!" and "And the mask comes off".

The Paragon Store, and it's unlocks are going to be a hotly debated topic. A lot of people feel they shouldn't have to pay again, a lot of people just don't want to have to pay at all...and other's are glad for the *reason* to pay.
I think, most likely, the Paragon Store will be mostly as it was. But that's up to the team handling Legacy CoH.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #242 on: September 04, 2014, 02:17:21 AM »
Nah, I think most discussion is going on in the "New Efforts!" and "And the mask comes off".

The Paragon Store, and it's unlocks are going to be a hotly debated topic. A lot of people feel they shouldn't have to pay again, a lot of people just don't want to have to pay at all...and other's are glad for the *reason* to pay.
I think, most likely, the Paragon Store will be mostly as it was. But that's up to the team handling Legacy CoH.

As I indicated elsewhere, my finances are such that I wouldn't be able to subscribe, or buy anything in-game, for a long, long time. So my ability to rebuild will depend on how many character slots I have on a given server, and whether or not I have access to controllers, masterminds, the water and staff-fighting power sets, and the other stuff that I bought before. So, there's really no point in my making plans right now; I'll just have to see what they provide for free, and go from there. :/

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #243 on: September 04, 2014, 03:28:47 AM »
This whole thing has been cruel and divisive, and should never have been brought up at all until the answer was yes.

Um...you have the right to feel the way you feel. But, Cruel? Divisive? All Ironwolf did was reveal that there were talks about getting the game going. Vague and nebulous, but a discussion was underway between an unknown party and NCSoft.

What's cruel about that? What's divisive? Some want the game back and some don't?

Or, are you speaking of this Robert person? If so, forget I said anything as I'm not at all familiar with what happened with him, other than what TonyV said in the OP.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #244 on: September 04, 2014, 03:40:53 AM »
It let us know that, contrary to belief, NCSoft is open to negotiating to put CoH back online, and that there are folks out there who are willing to patiently negotiate the mazes and jump through the hoops necessary to try and work out a deal. It gave us HOPE that we could get our virtual home back. I'll take it, and gratefully. The empty space left by the absence of hope is too often filled by despair.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #245 on: September 04, 2014, 11:15:16 AM »
I think part of why some folks are upset is that they were hoping that The Announcement would be a definitive answer. Instead, they're stuck waiting even more, and the pain of waiting to see if their game is going to be back is hard to sit through. I know I've been watching these forums obsessively since Sunday. I also think that those who are upset feel that way because of the fact that they don't want to be hopeful. Announcements like these tend to make us hope again; they also make us fear that that hope will, once again, be dashed.

But I'm not one of those people, so I could be way off base.

The Announcement has gone a long way to making me revisit my views on NCSoft. It has also shown me that, as people have said in this thread, there is a possibility that NCSoft will negotiate with THeM, taking this deal all the way. It has also showed me that, wow, cultural practices can really get in the way of a resolution. I had never thought that the tactics we employed when we tried to save the game were rude. Aggressive, assertive, yes. But not rude. We were just asking for our game back... from my perspective.

I'm hopeful. Cautiously hopeful. But hopeful. I'm not personally upset about the announcement, and I didn't think it was cruel, but I think I kind of understand why someone might feel that way.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #246 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
The Announcement has gone a long way to making me revisit my views on NCSoft. It has also shown me that, as people have said in this thread, there is a possibility that NCSoft will negotiate with THeM, taking this deal all the way. It has also showed me that, wow, cultural practices can really get in the way of a resolution. I had never thought that the tactics we employed when we tried to save the game were rude. Aggressive, assertive, yes. But not rude. We were just asking for our game back... from my perspective.

I saw quite a lot of what I certainly felt was rudeness, and plenty of things that went beyond "Rude". People let their anger, and pain get the better of them. They forgot that we're Heroes.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #247 on: September 04, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
I saw quite a lot of what I certainly felt was rudeness, and plenty of things that went beyond "Rude". People let their anger, and pain get the better of them. They forgot that we're Heroes.

I suppose I could be misremembering it. I know I saw a bit of the "NCSoft is the root of all evil" kind of statements (although not in as nice words), but my experience was mostly with people who didn't get into that kind of stuff and tried to keep things semi-civil. I'll admit, though, that I tend to look at things through a rose-tinted lens, and I could very well be remembering what I want to remember verses what was actually the case.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #248 on: September 04, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
I think, by and large, the community has a bunch of great people. People who, in real life don't thwart crime by donning capes and masks, but do their part by smiling through their own pain. Some are homebound, disabled, depressed, blah, the number of maladies depresses me.

However, we also have a small contingent of well-meaning but misguided people. Passionate people. People who tend to speak/write/post before thinking. Boy, if I could go back in time, there'd be a lot of stuff I wouldn't have said. But, if I hadn't, I'd probably not learned as much as I know now.

And of course, we have a tiny few people who seem to take joy in insults and belittling. Just like any real society, we have our own bullies, lunatics and nefarious ne'er-do-wells.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

BadWolf

• Elite Boss
« Reply #249 on: September 04, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
I think part of why some folks are upset is that they were hoping that The Announcement would be a definitive answer. Instead, they're stuck waiting even more, and the pain of waiting to see if their game is going to be back is hard to sit through. I know I've been watching these forums obsessively since Sunday. I also think that those who are upset feel that way because of the fact that they don't want to be hopeful. Announcements like these tend to make us hope again; they also make us fear that that hope will, once again, be dashed.

I think it's important to remember that the timing of the Announcement was mostly forced upon the people involved; things were starting to leak out, more and more people were finding out who the team was, and it was getting to the point where if they didn't announce it, someone else would have. I'm sure they would have liked to wait longer if they had the choice.

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #250 on: September 04, 2014, 04:04:17 PM »
Hey with at least three different threads on this topic, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or not but let's say that the negotiations are successful and that we get i23 back until APRP gets up and running. For us badgers is there a point in badging the i23 version? (since we are starting from scratch at this point) Will it be a direct port into APRP or will we just have to start our characters over again in CoH 1.5? I apologize if this question has already been addressed but it's very difficult to keep up. And TY in advance for the reply.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #251 on: September 04, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
Hey with at least three different threads on this topic, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this or not but let's say that the negotiations are successful and that we get i23 back until APRP gets up and running. For us badgers is there a point in badging the i23 version? (since we are starting from scratch at this point) Will it be a direct port into APRP or will we just have to start our characters over again in CoH 1.5? I apologize if this question has already been addressed but it's very difficult to keep up. And TY in advance for the reply.

Don't worry, assuming all goes well, you'll have a good couple of years in Classic CoH at least before ARP is playable to the same extent.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
I guess it doesn't really matter which of the three threads you post in. I at least keep tabs on all three.

At a much later date, I'd like to see about a system to move characters from Legacy CoH to Revival. However, I can't make any promises on that at this time.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Black Gold

• Elite Boss
« Reply #253 on: September 04, 2014, 04:21:15 PM »
I guess it doesn't really matter which of the three threads you post in. I at least keep tabs on all three.

At a much later date, I'd like to see about a system to move characters from Legacy CoH to Revival. However, I can't make any promises on that at this time.
Understood. Perhaps one of the mods could make a handy dandy FAQ with the knows and Don't knows at some point. Just so people like me who pop in once every couple days can keep up? I realize I am probably asking a lot there. But there's just so much excitement and speculation it's a challenge if not impossible to keep fact separate from fiction what with social media at all. Anyhow... Cheers!  ;D

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2014, 04:22:47 PM »
Understood. Perhaps one of the mods could make a handy dandy FAQ with the knows and Don't knows at some point. Just so people like me who pop in once every couple days can keep up? I realize I am probably asking a lot there. But there's just so much excitement and speculation it's a challenge if not impossible to keep fact separate from fiction what with social media at all. Anyhow... Cheers!  ;D

I plan on doing that, most likely tonight.
"Let's get dangerous..."

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »
I'm going to lock this thread so that information will be more consolidated in the other two.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »
... and then there were two ....