Author Topic: A little inspiration...an improbable comeback has happened in recent years  (Read 18368 times)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
Re: A little inspiration...an improbable comeback has happened in recent years
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2014, 02:48:17 AM »
Kodak went under but the printer division resurfaced and is back full swing with printers and photo replicators and the movie film division is again going strong supplying Hollywood studios with film love. The cameras and accessories have been licensed out to be built under contract with the Kodak name.

Saab automobiles should be returning from the grave next year with Russian help. Volvo made their own trip to the brink, but they survived and look good for the future.

Sears and KMart are cutting back still more to stay off the ropes, only Christmas sales saved them last year, and this year isn't looking as good, but with the cuts they should survive another year and maybe they can come back stronger next year.

And of course, those wonderful golden cream filled cakes returned. I didn't give a crap about Twinkies, until they were gone! Now they are back and I have had a few, I can go back to not giving a crap about them again!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
"Yes!  There are people out there as insane as they need to be to to do that!"

Just watched Time Zero:  The Last Year of Polaroid Film..    The parallels with CoH players and the Hail Mary effort are really evident.   These people would not give up...would not "move on".   Some were pragmatic about their chances, others were endlessly optimistic.   Their numbers were small, but the dedication of all involved and seeing the process of resurrection is very inspiring.

In the end...they won.   They achieved their goal to save instant photography which meant so much to them.   There were incredible hurdles to overcome and improbably odds.  (https://www.the-impossible-project.com/film/)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2120160/

Should CoH return....it would make a good movie methinks.

problem is instant photographs only live on because of the elder populace's resistance to smartphones. yes right now anyone can take a picture of anything at any time with their smart phone and the results are instantly on screen, the government and several media organizations have criticized this ability and even made remarks to ask the question of "should that be legal?" (as it's not covered under any american freedom, as it's not 'speech' as defined by our government and is therefore not applicable under 'free speech').

I suspect the only thing keeping cellphone developers from putting in some sort of obscene virtual 'camera lock'
Spoiler for Hidden:
(such as "all photos must upload to the [phone company name] server for approval before being stored on your phone", or "thanks for opening your camera feature of your phone, the united states federal building regrets to inform you that pictures are not allowed on or near our premises at any time", or the eventual "no pictures are allowed to be taken in public, GPS has told us you have opened your camera feature outside any residence area, the police are on their way to question you about this decision, in the meantime your phone is locked and pictures cannot be deleted")
is that actual cameras are still available, many of which do not have any wireless function and some do indeed run on film or contain film as an option and ALL of which DO NOT have an invasive operating system or GPS, actual digital cameras these days are fairly bare-bones when it comes to OS.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
The reason we old folks like hard copies is because when my kindle died - I remembered why all those books on my shelf are a good investment.

I picked one up and never worry about cracked screens or dead batteries, in fact it inspired me to go back and do what I used to do yearly - read the collected works of Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain and Edgar Allen Poe.  I may even read the Tolkien series and I am now reading the Twins trilogy from D&D.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 05:51:55 PM »
The reason we old folks like hard copies is because when my kindle died - I remembered why all those books on my shelf are a good investment.

I picked one up and never worry about cracked screens or dead batteries, in fact it inspired me to go back and do what I used to do yearly - read the collected works of Arthur Conan Doyle, Mark Twain and Edgar Allen Poe.  I may even read the Tolkien series and I am now reading the Twins trilogy from D&D.

some of us old folks like the kindle. It's kind of like a place to store your candy. If you find a book you really like on kindle, then you buy the real version.

Twain, Poe, Doyle, Tolkien, Zelazny, etc are for real book shelves. Kindle is for certification books, pulp scifi/fantasy, mystery and others written by the thousands and who cares if they go bye bye.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
I have a Kobo eReader, they managed to survive the death of Waldon Books. I love that Kobo, it saves soooo much shelf space not having to buy the real thing, but there are times when it just isn't as useful. Searching back to a specific part of the book takes forever with the Kobo, much easier to thumb back through the pages of a real book to find what you are looking for.

Ironwolf hit it on the head too with the dead battery. That sucks and it seems to happen too often, (More than once is too often!) but all that aside, I do love my eReader!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
some of us old folks like the kindle. It's kind of like a place to store your candy. If you find a book you really like on kindle, then you buy the real version.

Twain, Poe, Doyle, Tolkien, Zelazny, etc are for real book shelves. Kindle is for certification books, pulp scifi/fantasy, mystery and others written by the thousands and who cares if they go bye bye.
Oh, I forgot the Foundation series by Asimov - I need to find that one.

Styrj

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »
Ah... The Foundation Series.  I got the complete set while in the Science Fiction Book Club.  My wife and I have collected about 800 ~ 900 hardbacks through the Sci-Fi Book Club.  I recently re-read Clarke's Odyssey series (including 3001) all of which are hardbacks.  More closer to superhero stories is the Wild Card Series edited by George R. R. Martin (great read, various authors).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  Infinity Server...

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 03:59:30 PM »
problem is instant photographs only live on because of the elder populace's resistance to smartphones.
I don't know about that.  Watch the documentary.   I would describe fans of Polaroid as "hipsters" if anything.
Oh, I forgot the Foundation series by Asimov - I need to find that one.
I love that series sooooo much.   The first 3 are considered the best but I like 'em all.

I would like to see it get the Peter Jackson treatment that Lord of the Rings got.    Big problem there is that story can't feature any "star" or group of actors....since it jumps ahead in time and constantly changes characters.    I might compare it to Roots in that way....so it could work if done right.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 04:15:19 PM »
Game series die and do become reborn over time.  Look at fallout, it's a game series that was dead until bethesda picked it up.  Heck, there is another series out there already being remade by it's fans now, Unreal tournament.  And who's making it?  The fans, I even knew a few of the big names who are at the top(the community manager, I was for a short time a member of a clan she ran way back).  It makes me smile in a sense to see that being done.  As arena shooters are seeing a game remade by its fans for it's fans, we are fighting for a game to be obtained and hopefully updated/remade by us, it's fans, for us.

And there are also two games being made by city of heroes players for city of heroes players.

So a comeback is inevitable in some way or another.  I'm confident the efforts will succeed and I am hopeful and hopeful the city of titans and Valiance online games will make it.  Heck I ponder how much of an inspiration we're becoming for others.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Surelle

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
Game series die and do become reborn over time.  Look at fallout, it's a game series that was dead until bethesda picked it up.  Heck, there is another series out there already being remade by it's fans now, Unreal tournament.  And who's making it?  The fans, I even knew a few of the big names who are at the top(the community manager, I was for a short time a member of a clan she ran way back).  It makes me smile in a sense to see that being done.  As arena shooters are seeing a game remade by its fans for it's fans, we are fighting for a game to be obtained and hopefully updated/remade by us, it's fans, for us.

And there are also two games being made by city of heroes players for city of heroes players.

So a comeback is inevitable in some way or another.  I'm confident the efforts will succeed and I am hopeful and hopeful the city of titans and Valiance online games will make it.  Heck I ponder how much of an inspiration we're becoming for others.

Also, there were fan remakes of the Kings Quest series, too.  Not to mention all the mods for series like Neverwinter Nights, Elder Scrolls and Torchlight, just to name a few!  Mods are all fan-made and keep games alive for years too!

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »
Yeah, kotor still has a great modding community and that game is about 12 years old at this point, not to mention things like quake, counterstrike, dawn of war 1, and the like as well. Overall I think its great just how dedicated some communities are to their respective games, and the fact that this fan-base might be able to bring back not just a great game, but an MMO as well amazes me in the best way possible.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »
Same.

The transformation of what online gaming is is inevitable if you ask me.   There is no way this industry can continue to anger, disappoint, and sadden its costumers 100% of the time.   The "every game will end" thing is fatally flawed.   Worst business model ever.

And when that change comes, I can't help feeling the CoH fanbase will be a prominent part of the story.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »
Old adventure games from the 1990's are coming back.  Sierra On-Line is being revived with a 2015 King's Quest release.

Update to the official website

http://www.sierra.com/kingsquest