Author Topic: Returning to Champions, and I have a few worries.  (Read 1593 times)

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Returning to Champions, and I have a few worries.
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »
So as the title states I've been hoping to return to Champions online as I feel I've been away from super hero games far too long. In addition I also remember having a lot of fun with champions back when it released and back in 2011 too, however in looking into it again I've run into some things that worry me. Primarily Is their new launcher ARC, I've read a quite a few forum posts on several websites about people claiming it contains spyware, and after looking at the terms and conditions you have to agree too that doesn't seem that far off of the mark.

Should I be too worried about this or am I fretting over nothing? I always have the option of just not playing champions, but at the same time I don't want to completely abandon the game.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: Returning to Champions, and I have a few worries.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
You're coming back at a great time, since there will be a content release on Wednesday.

ARC does not contain spyware(at least nothing that peeks at other parts of your system). If you are concerned about it, you can always download th egame via Steam.
Spess

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:03:06 PM »
You're coming back at a great time, since there will be a content release on Wednesday.

ARC does not contain spyware(at least nothing that peeks at other parts of your system). If you are concerned about it, you can always download th egame via Steam.

I actually already own it on steam from years back, I just don't have it installed. The problem is that I actually found became worried about the whole spyware thing when I tried to install it via steam. Here is what is specifically bothering me.

(e)   You understand and agree that the Software may monitor and communicate information from your computer, including without limitation information relating to hardware capacity, modifications and the presence of unauthorized third party programs, including programs that enable or facilitate cheating or obtaining an unfair advantage of any kind, allow users to modify or hack any portion of the Software or the Service (other than as expressly authorized by PWE) or intercept or collect any information from or through the Software or the Service ("Unauthorized Programs"). If the Software detects an Unauthorized Program, then the Software may also communicate further information back to PWE regarding the user and the Unauthorized Program, including without limitation information about the users account and User ID and about the Unauthorized Program and its use. Further, you understand and agree that when you communicate with other players within a game or utilize any interactive features available through the Software or Service, such as instant messaging, forums or chat rooms, such communications and postings are transmitted through our servers, and we may, but are not obligated to, monitor all such communications and postings, including those that are designated as "private." You acknowledge that you have no expectation of privacy with respect to any such communications or postings, and you expressly consent to the monitoring and information collection described in this Section 5(d).

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »
That means that they can catch someone cheating without the person turning around and suing for the monitoring used to find out.
It allows they to find out if your client has been modified, if you have a cheat program in memory, or if you have sent messages from within the software that breaches TOU.

It doesn't appear that they have permission to access what your outside browsers, like Firefox, are doing.
Spess

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »
That means that they can catch someone cheating without the person turning around and suing for the monitoring used to find out.
It allows they to find out if your client has been modified, if you have a cheat program in memory, or if you have sent messages from within the software that breaches TOU.

It doesn't appear that they have permission to access what your outside browsers, like Firefox, are doing.

Ah, okey dokey thanks very much for clearing that up. If thats the case I'll give champions another shot I suppose.
Also apologies for the inconvenience, I do tend to get paranoid from time to time.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 04:53:46 PM »
Ah, okey dokey thanks very much for clearing that up. If thats the case I'll give champions another shot I suppose.
Also apologies for the inconvenience, I do tend to get paranoid from time to time.

I fully understand. I'm very concerned about my privacy, too, especially given the surveillance state that the U.S. is rapidly becoming has become. If I'm not under suspicion of something, then what I do is no one's business but mine. (I know someone will condemn me as being of the tinfoil-hat crowd. So be it.)
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »
The game is just easier to run from a shortcut. You never have to update the shortcut, it's simple to operate, and it never breaks,

The only virtue I see in Arc is if you use the social aspect of it.

I don't want Arc to fail, just saying, it has been my experience that the game is just way simpler to run directly.

The first time Arc made me download 30 meg for an update my bandwidth restricted self stopped using it.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>