Author Topic: Valiance Online Kickstarter Starts....TODAY!  (Read 34170 times)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
Valiance Online Kickstarter Starts....TODAY!
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
Hey all you Titans out there! Just dropping by with a friendly little note to let you know that Valiance Online is officially launching it's Kickstarter here in..ohh..About 2 hours :) We've got lots of great stuff lined up and lots more information coming your way here soon so stay tuned to our website and Facebook pages to get all the juicy details. You may want to swing by the Facebook page and take a look at some of our recent work on something completely new as well: Elastic Melee :)

Also wanted to let you know that starting Friday we're going to be starting up our larger wave invites to come help us test out the new game (bearing in mind that we're still technically in Pre-Alpha ;) ) and it's going to be open season on those. Yep, you our friends are going to be receiving email invites to come run around our city and break stuff :D Now, these aren't going to be all at once, we don't want to melt our poor servers down on the first day, but they will be coming so stay tuned.

As always, if you have any questions, I'll be hanging around to watch this thread and answer any questions you may have.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online

Excidia

• Lieutenant
Re: Valiance Online Kickstarter Starts....TODAY!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
Donation pledged, good luck.

e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »
Was hoping you guys would post here. :D

I will be making a donation as soon as I figure out what the budget will allow. :D

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:14:51 AM »
And as soon as next payday comes around, I will be donating too.  The work that has been done so far is very promising.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 12:25:26 AM »
First at the $500 pledge.  8)
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:36:59 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your support! We appreciate it sincerely. We cannot wait until we're able to get the whole of the city built and ready to open the doors for you all :D

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:52 AM »
There you go -- Happy to kick you guys another donation -- recognizing the limits of a "sketch" environment -- the game play has been worth it.  Very nice
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 01:15:12 AM »
Can't wait to see some of the updates etc as it progresses :) Great ks page btw.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 01:20:12 AM »
Can't wait to see some of the updates etc as it progresses :) Great ks page btw.

Thanks :D We put about a month's work into that alone lol And there are still a few mistakes in the wording despite us looking it over 100's of times >.<

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 04:07:10 AM »
In for a $100.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
I might not be able to give much but payday. I'll give what I can, I wasn't able to give to City of Titan. I wont miss my chance to give to one of the projects this time. :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »

I sent this question via KS, but maybe I will get a faster response here:

I noticed the $35 donation allows you "Access to all phases of game testing going forward." But...the more expensive donations all state they grant you "access to one of the beta waves." So... if I wanted access to all beta waves I should just donate $35? Reason I ask this is because I do want access to all beta, but I also want the perks of a more higher donation ($65 Forging Ahead or $100 All the Toys)....

Thanks :D We put about a month's work into that alone lol And there are still a few mistakes in the wording despite us looking it over 100's of times >.<

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »
I sent this question via KS, but maybe I will get a faster response here:

I noticed the $35 donation allows you "Access to all phases of game testing going forward." But...the more expensive donations all state they grant you "access to one of the beta waves." So... if I wanted access to all beta waves I should just donate $35? Reason I ask this is because I do want access to all beta, but I also want the perks of a more higher donation ($65 Forging Ahead or $100 All the Toys)....

Yeah that was one of the mistakes that we all happened to miss. So official answer: Everything above $35 that mentions 'beta waves' is identical to the $35 donation (all access).

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 04:15:15 PM »
That's what I was hoping the answer would be.

e-

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »

Woot!! That makes me so happy to know :)

Yeah that was one of the mistakes that we all happened to miss. So official answer: Everything above $35 that mentions 'beta waves' is identical to the $35 donation (all access).

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2014, 07:31:23 AM »

Alright minimum amount I'm donating is $35 then. Hopefully it'll be more than that on payday though. :)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »
Hey folks.

Alright, so there's been a lot of confusion about reward levels etc on the KS page and admittedly looking at them we could have worded them a lot better. So! Since our ability to wordsmith seems to have gone out the window on those, we're putting together a visual chart to show what exactly one gets for their backing, which is going to be quite a bit actually :)

Sorry for the rocky bits, but this is what happens when you don't have a marketing department :P

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 10:44:31 PM »
I'll be donating once I see the 'final' rewards chart.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
I'll be donating once I see the 'final' rewards chart.

Ask and you shall receive :)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »
I like the graph... makes things much easier :)

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I am a tad worried at the rate of the KS funds being pledged :(

Are you guys reaching out to any media to make more people aware?? Think it's kinda sad one KS skyrocketed while this one with more to show... is not doing nearly as well. I would think more of the CoH community would be standing behind the successor projects... or maybe the remaining community is nowhere as large as we have been led to believe. This lackluster support would make me nervous if I were invested in the resurgence of CoH or any other hero project for that matter.

Wishing you the best... I truly cannot wait to see the finished project! :) In the meantime I am anxiously awaiting more in depth updates on the KS page! :)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 07:43:01 AM »
I like the graph... makes things much easier :)

I thought so too. That's why I pulled a guy off of working on other things to make it with me (his Excel-fu is strong) ;)

Are you guys reaching out to any media to make more people aware?? Think it's kinda sad one KS skyrocketed while this one with more to show... is not doing nearly as well.

We've a few interviews lined up left to do along with postings on MMORPG.com and Massively. We're negotiating with IGN as well. We're reaching about as far as we can, but we're hoping that everyone else can lend a hand in that area too. As for the KS not skyrocketing, we actually expected that. The perceptions about who we our and our project as well as the state of interaction between the three is...muddled at best. Some people are simply staunch supporters of one and not the other, or have burned out on the idea as a whole.

Or they're just waiting for CoH to return. That's what I've gathered thus far.

Wishing you the best... I truly cannot wait to see the finished project! :) In the meantime I am anxiously awaiting more in depth updates on the KS page! :)

Thanks! I'm going to have to put the hammer to the studio execs on those updates ;)

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 02:52:28 PM »
Chance

Thanks for the graph! It really does help to see what you are offering at each level. I really thought the lat pass debugging video was a great show of what y'all are aiming for. Like BT I'm concerned about the lack of support y'all are receiving. Do you have a backup plan for us to help fund you if the KS doesn't hit the goal?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 04:05:25 PM »
Do you have a backup plan for us to help fund you if the KS doesn't hit the goal?

No real backup plan as far as funding goes. We'll just have to nickle and dime our way along to get it done, though it will likely wind up taking more than the year we've planned for to complete it.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
Yeah I am disappointed in the number of donations so far...and I truly hope it gets backed so it can be online/finished ASAP. I don't think people realize that IF (Heaven forbid) the deal falls through with NCSoft and we don't get the IP this round etc... it's going to be awhile before another serious attempt at the IP gets this far...and in the meantime we will still have nothing to play. This is one of the main reasons I support VO...it's already in a Pre-Alpha stage and it's done that with no crowd funding whatsoever. Hoping the community pulls through and gets this project funded....

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
I think the slow start is because the kickstarter hit right before Halloween. Most people are broke right now. Having spent most of their money on costumes, decorations ect...

So hopefully the numbers will go up by next week. Sadly, I wont be able to donate this week :(. My dad got sick and missed some work, so my extra money will be going to help with bills. Hopefully I'll be able to donate next pay check. :(

*Edited to add: But since I have to wait longer to donate, I'm going to try to donate more.*

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 06:08:40 PM »
I have to say I am very disappointed by the lack of the community surrounding valiance online.  Espeically when it has showed way more progress than everyone else.

Personally, I have way more faith in this than any of the other successor projects.  Was there some bad blood or something that nobody wants to support them?

However, I do have a few quips that I think would help the game.

-Art Style/Logo/Name.  Right now, if I didn't know anything about it, i would have never guessed it was a superhero mmo in a million years.    It looks like a gritty run of the mill post apocalyptic survival horror third person shooter.

-The website.  It is terribly outdated and needs reworking on all fronts.  The layout, design, and even the functionality are all broken.  The community for this game is even fragmented in itself.

-Timing and content of the kickstarter.  When there's not a lot of support surrounding the game in general, why would you choose to hold a kickstarter?  Additionally, why would you hold it in late october/november?  As for the content, why on earth would you show old footage of the game opposed to your newer, better videos, art, and screenshots?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
I have to say I am very disappointed by the lack of the community surrounding valiance online.  Espeically when it has showed way more progress than everyone else.

Personally, I have way more faith in this than any of the other successor projects.  Was there some bad blood or something that nobody wants to support them?

Not bad blood in particular, just lots of misunderstanding that I've noticed about who we are, what we're doing, why we're doing it. A lot of that comes from the fact that we didn't much control the rumor mill in the beginning, we were busy making what we have of the game now. So, we're behind the curve on the rumor mill (much of which has been negative). Add to that the belief in only 'one true successor'...

-Art Style/Logo/Name.  Right now, if I didn't know anything about it, i would have never guessed it was a superhero mmo in a million years.    It looks like a gritty run of the mill post apocalyptic survival horror third person shooter.

A little peek behind the development curtain here; The project was originally started with a different Design Director who was more keen on the post-apoc/cyberpunk/grimdark side of things, and so that was the direction the game was originally headed in. Silverhelm trademarked the metal/black/red logo and forged on ahead with the project. This would have been the version most people saw around a year ago.

There were some creative differences and that Design Director left and the seat was vacated for a small period of time; during which I was brought on board as a writer. Silly me, I go poking around, asking about systems, design goals, vision, things of that nature and get made the new Design Director. We add a few more very talented people to the team and start cranking out the newer, brighter style, but the logo remains.

All of that goes to say, we've basically run out of funds and cannot afford to trademark a new logo ($500-$1000 depending on who you ask). Though that is one of the things I do plan to change immediately once the funding is available (assuming we reach our goal).

-The website.  It is terribly outdated and needs reworking on all fronts.  The layout, design, and even the functionality are all broken.

This has been a point of contention with me in particular. We've been trying to get changes to the site made, but our contractor is dragging his feet on them despite my urgent insisting. See previous for solution (and you can check www.valianceonline.com for a mockup of the way I would prefer the site to look (though it's a fight I cannot get in to just yet).

-Timing and content of the kickstarter.  When there's not a lot of support surrounding the game in general, why would you choose to hold a kickstarter?  Additionally, why would you hold it in late october/november?  As for the content, why on earth would you show old footage of the game opposed to your newer, better videos, art, and screenshots?

Essentially, money has run thin between the people involved in the project. We can continue, though the pace will be considerably slowed and delayed. In truth, we should have waited for another 6 months before launching it, but we've just flat run out of time.

As for the old footage, we had a video production guy lined up, I recorded the voice over for the video which was supposed to be most of our recent stuff, but it fell through so we had to scramble for footage at the last minute. It's also part of the reason we're cranking out videos on our Facebook site, but I don't think it's helping too much.

Matt Bold

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

Sorry if I offended you on anything.  I just really want this to succeed. 

The new website  is looking way better than old one.  If I could add anything it would just be to "Make it brighter".

Can you expand on the rumor mill thing?  I actually never heard anything, good or bad, regarding VO aside from a few replies to threads on the titan forums saying "Oh by the way, VO is another project in the works that is not getting a lot of attention"

I think it was a great decision to move away from the dark and gritty look.  That market is very saturated with bad games at the moment and all look like fallout knockoffs.

If I had one other thing to add, is that the community you do have is fragmented.  Relying on facebook and not maintaining the website is very confusing(as well as bad SEO).  Somebody stumbling across your website will think there has been no activity since your last posts, which at this point was in September.  Given that you have a kickstarter going right now this issue can be devastating.

I would really like to be a part of your community but right now I have no idea if I should be active on your facebook or your website.  There is no place where I can find the most up to date information *easily*.  If I wanted to learn more about the project I would have to scroll though all of your facebook posts, many of which are fillers.

That being said.  I am having some devastating financial issues but I will do what I can to support your kickstarter.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 09:19:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses!

Welcome :) I do these sorts of things to talk to people.

Sorry if I offended you on anything.  I just really want this to succeed. 

No offense taken  8) Sorry if I came off as defensive, I'm just protective of this project and my team, who have been on the whole amazing thus far and I'm not expecting that to change ever. :)

The new website  is looking way better than old one.  If I could add anything it would just be to "Make it brighter".

That's not a finalized form of the website, I hadn't properly gotten many things added to it, let alone art assets created for it. I was planning on continuing with the duality present in our game to spread to the logo and gradients on the solid block background.

Can you expand on the rumor mill thing?  I actually never heard anything, good or bad, regarding VO aside from a few replies to threads on the titan forums saying "Oh by the way, VO is another project in the works that is not getting a lot of attention"

Some of the things I've seen written were things like; we're a studio that glommed on to the fact that CoH vanished and thus there was this ready-made fan base for us to 'take advantage of'. Which is wrong in every possible fashion. We're a group of CoH fans and players that loved the game who joined up with a 'studio' to leverage the tech -they- had available to make our game.  And by 'studio' Silverhelm is not a space with an office, it's more a pool of developers working on independent projects out of our houses that freely pass resources back and forth to get these projects complete.

I think it was a great decision to move away from the dark and gritty look.  That market is very saturated with bad games at the moment and all look like fallout knockoffs.

Grimdark is so 90's, don't they know that Cali sun is the new darkened alleyway? ;)

If I had one other thing to add, is that the community you do have is fragmented.  Relying on facebook and not maintaining the website is very confusing(as well as bad SEO).  Somebody stumbling across your website will think there has been no activity since your last posts, which at this point was in September.  Given that you have a kickstarter going right now this issue can be devastating.

Actually the forums have been fairly active lately but that's been in the areas of our pre-alpha. The front page is tied into the issue of the website design, but I'm not expecting that to be a problem for much longer. I can't go any further into detail on that however.

As ever, I appreciate the feedback and the questions :)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:27:59 PM by Chance-VO »

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »
Okay.

In for $1000.00.

:D

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
Okay.

In for $1000.00.

Awesome :D Very much appreciated and look forward to your future hologram-statue ;)

Without_Pause

• Minion
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 06:16:05 AM »
I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I am a tad worried at the rate of the KS funds being pledged :(

Merely one person's view point, so don't read too much into it.

1. The CoH community isn't going to gladly back any and every project that comes along. There's hardly room for the superhero MMOs we have now as I don't think CO or DCUO are doing particularly well. Right now my preferred superhero game is Marvel Online. Adding three more to the mix isn't really helping.

3. VO never felt like they were part of the CoH community even if they played the game. MWM is very much part of the CoH community and rode that to success as part of their KS campaign. Even now, one of their own is behind the talks with NCSoft in regards to getting CoH running on some level. Let's be honest, if CoH never left, the team behind VO would still be working on their original idea for a game which wasn't a superhero game.

3. The early bird gets the worm. MWM was there before the others even if they had less of a project. MWM did a great job in building up the press to help fuel the funding. VO is still working on it while the clock is ticking. A KS has to hit the ground running. VO hasn't felt like that.

4. The people behind VO don't want part in the CoH deal. The game seems to be adding stuff in to further separate the game from CoH. So why on God's green Earth do you make the game look so much like CoH? There's flat out copy/paste level of stuff going on to where if I'm Cryptic I'm watching with one eye on the project and a ban hammer in hand. In some cases players are stuck in long animations that I have zero desire to recreate after playing CoH for years. If you are going to be different, be different. There is sooo much room for a new superhero MMO to come along and be distinct and good. It's nice they enjoyed playing CoH, but the people already have their spiritual successor in CoT, give them something else.

5. This all should be a great big warning label for GG's group who I think will have the biggest climb towards seeing the light of day.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 07:50:42 AM »
4. Cryptic doesn't care. They don't have the CoH IP any more. They own the original version of the engine, but it's been fiddled with and upgraded so much since the original lease of it that it's barely the same beast anymore. I think you mean NCsoft.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Aviticus Gladius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 08:05:40 AM »
Due to the nature of Without_Pause's response, I find myself required, once again to clarify the elements surrounding the existence of Valiance Online, and the other project that share a parallel development structure.

I've worked on my game, Legends of Etherell, for 5 years as of August 11th of this year. My friend and business partner worked on his project for around 3-4 years at the time of our partnering. We were essentially working separately, but developing our projects along the same guidelines. So we decided to form a mutual partnership in an effort to pool our resources to ease the burden of development for both our teams. We then began sharing our assets, he and his wife assisted me with coding, and granted my team access to their code-base, I in return offered the same thing as well as access to my artists, coders, and sound designers. We've worked together for the last 2 years developing our tech/games together, and are still doing so now.

Both games are still well into development though I've had a media blackout on mine who getting ready for a big media blitz in December with a huge announcement. Neither product has faced any unexpected setbacks. My game is indeed a fantasy game, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the MMO tech it utilizes. At it's core is a foundation built around many development parameters/principles inspired directly by City of Heroes. My game's leveling system features what is called a BREAKOUT, the ability to opening up an individual attack, to level up individual properties of the attack. The entire idea was inspired by me love for CoH's enhancement system. So ultimately, a fantasy game is carrying forward seeds laid by CoH regardless of it's genre.

When City of Heroes closed, I lost an important part of what inspired me, and I formed the Valiance team to work on a successor. However, this was done only after reaching out to other spiritual-successors, and that's something I have on record. They decided not to use the tech, so when nobody else would use the tech, I found a group of developers that were interested in it. I've been programming for 20 years now, I've worked for various companies on applications based around network solutions, network security, advance aeronautical solutions, and I know what it takes to make applications with features as complicated and intricate as an MMO. My intentions were to provide a helping hand to a group of prospective developers to assist the, in completion of a spiritual successor.

I worked for a company that secured 7 million dollars in funding to develop an MMO, and they recently cancelled the project after 4 years of development do to financial shortcomings. After combining all our documented work hours across the last 8-9 years of combined coding, the coding side of our MMO tech alone is worth well over a million dollars, had we all been paid our standard fair for hours spent. This is no easy feat, and I offered the Valiance team the most valuable thing a prospect MMO dev-team could be offered, and asked only that they remain true to the spirit of the game. I've worked my day-job, come home and spent 12 hours coding for them; sometimes even before my own game. I haven't asked for a dime and they can account for that. They recently even offered to pass along some financing to me for all the help I've provided; money which I attempted to turn down repeatedly. They firmly insisted that I take it, until I finally acknowledged their want to give to me as I have done to them.

Valiance is a genuine product, and it stands now as a genuine product. Everyone one is entitled to their opinion, and that's something we embrace and encourage. But we'll continue towards our release, and that's something that won't change. Much like with sports, there are those that will choose their team. We love and accept that, and hope to see more people give Valiance a chance in the future. I've seen a lot of people refer to Valiance as a reskinned fantasy game, and that's great... I laugh every time I hear it. I mean... Counter-Strike and Team Fortress were "Half-life Reskins"; turned out really great for them. I mean... these reskinned helped finance one the biggest game publishers of this era. Haha, those reskins, gotta love 'em! Or you could say each new Call of Duty is a reskin of last year's release, it's been working out great for them it appears. Starting from scratch when developing a single-player game is hard. Starting from scratch on an MMO (without millions of dollars on tap) is considered madness in the eyes of those that know the road. When you can make an actual game with a proven, and tested tech in a few years, there is no real reason to start from nothing. Valiance has basically shaved 60%-70% percent of its development cost off by using the tech, and that's an enormous advantage that has already paid off for their team.

So please continue to cheer for your team as you desire. Never let it be said that the Valiance team discouraged anyone's freedom to support any of the other successor, because we've never done such a thing. One thing that can be said is that the game has already achieved a level of success that few indie MMOs have, and it will continue to do so. Keep in mind that long before Kickstarter, games were being created and published without crowdfunding. This supports an idea that says Kickstarter doesn't dictate a product's potential to succeed.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2014, 06:02:57 PM »

1. So far the CoH community has only been asked to back two projects...H&V is not asking for anything...yet. Hardly room for the superhero MMOs we have now? Uhmm I tried DCUO, CO, and even MUO... no thanks. I want something like CoH...which is what all three successor projects are offering. Adding more to the mix will probably kill CO and DCUO...which is not a loss in my opinion.

2. I get that you don't support/like VO...your prior posts indicate that very well. I am more likely to support a KS if they actually have something to show...which is why I support VO.

3. VO doesn't feel like part of the community?? LOL Uhmm it's made up mostly of former CoH players...not sure what you mean by this statement. I think you mean they don't feel like part of the Titan community maybe? I'm fine with them not spamming the Titan boards and remaining low key...unlike other projects which at times bombarded these forums. Your comment is very degrading to the VO team's passion for CoH.... Whatever happened to the "amazing" community that supported their players?? The VO team are former residents of Paragon who lost their home...just like you...and what are they trying to do...give you back a place you can call home... just saying.

4. FYI ... NONE of the Plan Z (VO, CoT, and H&V) projects want to be part of the CoH deal (If by that you mean able to use the CoH IP). Why are they making it look like CoH?? The same reason the other projects are...to appeal to former players of CoH... hence why it's called a spiritual successor project. I have not seen any of the copy/paste stuff you speak of.... You do realize that VO is in PRE-ALPHA stage right?? It's nowhere near a beta stage and many things..animations..animation times..etc etc are going to change as the game progresses closer to a beta stage. There is plenty of room in the MMO market for another 3 super hero games...so your statement for them to do something else...well seems absurd. VO was actually the first spiritual successor and is farthest along in production so maybe you should tell the other successors to do something different (Because that makes as much sense as you telling VO and H&V to do that).

5. If VO's kickstarter succeeds or fails... that will have no impact on H&V... H&V has it's own pros/cons just like all of the Plan Z projects.

Merely one person's view point, so don't read too much into it.

1. The CoH community isn't going to gladly back any and every project that comes along. There's hardly room for the superhero MMOs we have now as I don't think CO or DCUO are doing particularly well. Right now my preferred superhero game is Marvel Online. Adding three more to the mix isn't really helping.

3. VO never felt like they were part of the CoH community even if they played the game. MWM is very much part of the CoH community and rode that to success as part of their KS campaign. Even now, one of their own is behind the talks with NCSoft in regards to getting CoH running on some level. Let's be honest, if CoH never left, the team behind VO would still be working on their original idea for a game which wasn't a superhero game.

3. The early bird gets the worm. MWM was there before the others even if they had less of a project. MWM did a great job in building up the press to help fuel the funding. VO is still working on it while the clock is ticking. A KS has to hit the ground running. VO hasn't felt like that.

4. The people behind VO don't want part in the CoH deal. The game seems to be adding stuff in to further separate the game from CoH. So why on God's green Earth do you make the game look so much like CoH? There's flat out copy/paste level of stuff going on to where if I'm Cryptic I'm watching with one eye on the project and a ban hammer in hand. In some cases players are stuck in long animations that I have zero desire to recreate after playing CoH for years. If you are going to be different, be different. There is sooo much room for a new superhero MMO to come along and be distinct and good. It's nice they enjoyed playing CoH, but the people already have their spiritual successor in CoT, give them something else.

5. This all should be a great big warning label for GG's group who I think will have the biggest climb towards seeing the light of day.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
No room for many superhereo MMOs?

I doubt that, you have to think, people exspecially us CoHers. Expect a lot from their games and when you add to that, the fact that we're going to expect these games to be atleast somewhat similar to CoH.

I say the more the merrier, What if CoT doesn't meet your expectations? What if it doesn't even get completed?

I say, back all project, more so for the one you like the most.

I'm not going to speak on the whole Valiance isn't a part of the CoH community blah blah blah.

Because they have what looks like an MM powerset in their game so I'm biased. :P

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 10:14:39 PM »
Awesome :D Very much appreciated and look forward to your future hologram-statue ;)

Me too. :D

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 03:08:05 PM »
I'm a little curious about how you setup the support tiers.  They seem a bit odd to me.

Typically, I would expect that (with the possible exception of the "limited item" tiers),
that each tier would contain all the incentive rewards of all of the lower tiers.

What you put together seems to jump around a lot, with higher tiers actually missing things
from the lower tiers.

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me as I pledged as much as I reasonably could, but I'm curious.

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
I'm a little curious about how you setup the support tiers.  They seem a bit odd to me.

Typically, I would expect that (with the possible exception of the "limited item" tiers),
that each tier would contain all the incentive rewards of all of the lower tiers.

What you put together seems to jump around a lot, with higher tiers actually missing things
from the lower tiers.

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me as I pledged as much as I reasonably could, but I'm curious.

This is the result of a 2-fold problem. There are lots of unique-to-tier rewards in there because our initial plan wasn't to do the 'each level builds on the previous one' part. After we made that call we spent the majority of our time focusing on the main body of the page to make sure it came out right. It was only after we launched that we realized what we had put together made no sense, so we went back and edited it in the form of the chart that was released.

So, this is a handy lesson for other indy games..Don't skip out on the marketing department, because writers, artists, and programmers are terrible at that job :P

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
Gotta get the word out to all the online gaming places so they can run articles etc... that should definitely help with the KS. Also remember that your facebook and twitter accounts are great places to keep pushing :) I'm very excited by what you have done so far and VERY excited for things to come! The more information you put out in those places...as well as here... the more intrigued people will become towards VO.

Maybe you could discuss some of the powers here. How will your freeform work. Discuss how VO is like CoH and how it differs. Remind people that VO is VERY RP friendly. In other words... brag... explain things...give us info! :)

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 05:22:50 PM »
Gotta get the word out to all the online gaming places so they can run articles etc... that should definitely help with the KS. Also remember that your facebook and twitter accounts are great places to keep pushing :) I'm very excited by what you have done so far and VERY excited for things to come! The more information you put out in those places...as well as here... the more intrigued people will become towards VO.

Maybe you could discuss some of the powers here. How will your freeform work. Discuss how VO is like CoH and how it differs. Remind people that VO is VERY RP friendly. In other words... brag... explain things...give us info! :)

Haha, how's this work as a teaser here? It's a list of the power sets we currently have in game and are planning on adding in the near future. ;)

Melee
- Damage
- - - Street Brawling
- - - Super Strength
- - - Martial Arts
- - - Fire Melee
- - - Mimetic Weaponry
- - - Katana

- Defense
- - - Iron Resolve
- - - Evasive Arts
- - - Tough Skin
- - - Regeneration
- - - Beserker
- - - Radiation Shielding

- Team Support
- - - Shield Defense

- Damage Control
- - - Energy Melee

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Range
- Damage
- - - Ice Projection
- - - Fire Projection
- - - Radiation Projection
- - - Archery
- - - Energy Projection
- - - Electricity Projection

- Team Support
- - - Healing Energy
- - - Force Manipulation
- - - Nano Control
- - - Frost Enforcement
- - - Radiation Corruption

- Damage Control
- - - Shadow Manipulation
- - - Fire Control

Hybrid
- Leader
- - - Cyber Special Forces Commanding

- Commander
- - - Soldier Commanding

- Director
- - - Drone Operating

Coming down the pipeline for future releases:

- Dual Pistols
- Staff Melee
- Longsword
- Claws
- Sword & Shotgun

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »
You may have just upped my donation from 5 to 20 just off the "sword and shotgun" line. Is that both weapons in one set?

I was hoping one of the Mmos would have a pistol and sword combo. You can kind of do it in co and secret world but there's no synergy.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
You may have just upped my donation from 5 to 20 just off the "sword and shotgun" line. Is that both weapons in one set?

I was hoping one of the Mmos would have a pistol and sword combo. You can kind of do it in co and secret world but there's no synergy.

Yes. Dual weapons, one power set. :D

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »
I sense Rejolt is now at the KS page updating his contribution to $20 hehe.

I am a Heroic Corruptor at heart (Fire/Time, Ice/Storm, Water/Dark, Psi/Rad, Arch/TA)... So I was wondering... in VO can you combine; for example: Fire Blast with Nano Control?? And what is Nano control LOL! Force Manipulation?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 05:58:30 PM »
I sense Rejolt is now at the KS page updating his contribution to $20 hehe.

I am a Heroic Corruptor at heart (Fire/Time, Ice/Storm, Water/Dark, Psi/Rad, Arch/TA)... So I was wondering... in VO can you combine; for example: Fire Blast with Nano Control?? And what is Nano control LOL! Force Manipulation?

That would be our 'Sapper' AT (Ranged Damage/Team Support), where Fire Blast would be your Signature powers and Nano control your secondary. As for what it is, it's a team support set that focuses on buffing your teammates in combat, much like a corruptor.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »
Woot I am gonna be a Sapper!

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »
Woot I am gonna be a Sapper!

While you're at it, you may also enjoy:

The Enforcer (Team Support/Melee Damage or Melee Control)
The Harrier (Melee Control/Defense Control)
and
The Striker (Ranged Damage/Melee Control)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02:40 PM »
Are the $2500 and up Tiers the only ones with Lifetime Citizen Access?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »
Are the $2500 and up Tiers the only ones with Lifetime Citizen Access?

For the time being, yes.

Mind, we're not saying that a Lifetime access costs $2500. We added it to those tiers and up because it seemed an appropriate thank you for someone who's willing to invest that heavily in the game.

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 12:17:41 AM »
All right, I finally was able to make a pledge tonight.

Been a fan of what I'm seeing / hearing from VO team for months, so this was a no-brainer for me to become a backer.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 01:56:30 AM »
While you're at it, you may also enjoy:

The Enforcer (Team Support/Melee Damage or Melee Control)
The Harrier (Melee Control/Defense Control)
and
The Striker (Ranged Damage/Melee Control)

Dude, the thing that's got me more psyched than anything are those "stretch melee" animations you guys posted ... still, I realize that might be down the road a bit ... or QUITE a bit ... but it was awesome.  By all means just carry on

(and if you guys can get me my new BUILD email before tomorrow evening I'll up my donation!)

;D

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 06:22:10 AM »
Dude, the thing that's got me more psyched than anything are those "stretch melee" animations you guys posted ... still, I realize that might be down the road a bit ... or QUITE a bit ... but it was awesome.  By all means just carry on

(and if you guys can get me my new BUILD email before tomorrow evening I'll up my donation!)

;D

You, good sir, might also get a kick out of our "Mimetic melee" power...Think of it somewhat like Green Lantern's ring creating things to batter, bash, and throw enemies around ;)

(and, it will be in your inbox in the morning)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »
Will there be a "mids" program to help players plan out their builds?

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2014, 09:09:40 AM »
Will there be a "mids" program to help players plan out their builds?

Quite likely there will be, though it's up in the air if a fan gets to it before we do ;)

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
Payday came around and I gave what I could.  I really hope this gets off the ground because it looks so promising.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »
Hope it picks up a bit there.  I pledged $100, and might go to $200 or $250, but at $22k out of $150k a third of the way in, I confess I'm a touch concerned.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2014, 02:25:06 AM »
I hope it picks up too. I want to donate so bad. I'm going to give what I can on payday (hoping for $100) but with my dad missing work. A new month of bills and the holiday season, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to donate. :(

Does kickstarter decide when the end date is or the group? If it's the group can it be extended?

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »

;D

You, good sir, might also get a kick out of our "Mimetic melee" power...Think of it somewhat like Green Lantern's ring creating things to batter, bash, and throw enemies around ;)

(and, it will be in your inbox in the morning)

Well, we're past midnight and no build email...  :gonk:  So I guess it's no money for you...
<kidding>

Chance-VO

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »
I hope it picks up too. I want to donate so bad. I'm going to give what I can on payday (hoping for $100) but with my dad missing work. A new month of bills and the holiday season, I'm not sure how much I'll be able to donate. :(

Does kickstarter decide when the end date is or the group? If it's the group can it be extended?

Nah, you pick the end date when you launch the page and that's pretty much set in stone.

Though not to worry, if this doesn't go through (and that's what we're estimating right now), we have other things we can do that we're planning on.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2014, 05:15:42 PM »

I was not a financial investor in VO before the KS...but wish I were. From everything I have seen from your KS page...if it does not succeed...I will definitely look to other ways to contribute financially to VO! Although I really was looking forward to some of those perks hehehe, but I would rather give them up in order to help the game come to full fruition as soon as possible.

Nah, you pick the end date when you launch the page and that's pretty much set in stone.

Though not to worry, if this doesn't go through (and that's what we're estimating right now), we have other things we can do that we're planning on.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2014, 04:13:40 PM »
I was not a financial investor in VO before the KS...but wish I were. From everything I have seen from your KS page...if it does not succeed...I will definitely look to other ways to contribute financially to VO! Although I really was looking forward to some of those perks hehehe, but I would rather give them up in order to help the game come to full fruition as soon as possible.

Same here.

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2014, 10:41:06 PM »
Go to the website, create an account, click on invest/donate, fill out form and paypal them at least $10.  You'll probably even get an invite into the current phase of pre-alpha testing.  I did (and I can tell you it's pretty)

Investing on the website is different than investing on the kickstarter, but they are keeping track of who invests what and there will eventually be in game goodies to buy with your investor points.

Not associated with VO, just letting you know the train hasn't left the station if you still want to invest directly.

e-

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2014, 01:07:57 PM »
Go to the website, create an account, click on invest/donate, fill out form and paypal them at least $10.  You'll probably even get an invite into the current phase of pre-alpha testing.  I did (and I can tell you it's pretty)

Investing on the website is different than investing on the kickstarter, but they are keeping track of who invests what and there will eventually be in game goodies to buy with your investor points.

Not associated with VO, just letting you know the train hasn't left the station if you still want to invest directly.

e-
Good info. Thanks!

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
I think this game has huge potential. He has the groundwork already there. Come on people, lets help get this funded!
Art of War Gaming
A friendly community of gamers

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2014, 01:43:30 AM »
I think this game has huge potential. He has the groundwork already there. Come on people, lets help get this funded!

I agree but this is on track for $45-50k. I'm more impressed with the 313 donors averaging just under $90 each.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:20 AM »
I agree but this is on track for $45-50k. I'm more impressed with the 313 donors averaging just under $90 each.
Unfortunately, that won't help with Kickstarter.  If they don't raise the full amount, the effort fails and no money is collected from the donors.  I'm thinking I'll just end up donating $100 to them directly, instead, as things don't look good at the moment for this particular fundraising effort.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 05:15:24 PM by JanessaVR »

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2014, 05:29:33 AM »
Hopefully he will set up his own donation if the kickstarter doesn't work. I really want this to succeed.
Art of War Gaming

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »
You can become an investor through their website. I am going to wait until the kickstarter is officially over and then do that. Of all the current Plan Z projects out there...this is the one I have the most confidence in and truly cannot wait to play.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
You can become an investor through their website. I am going to wait until the kickstarter is officially over and then do that. Of all the current Plan Z projects out there...this is the one I have the most confidence in and truly cannot wait to play.

They've worked the fastest at getting to a playable build. I have no clue how city of Titans will play right now.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:21:17 PM by Rejolt »

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
They've worked the fastest at getting to a playable build. I have no clue how city of Titans will play right now.

Not exactly, they'd already done a significant amount of work before the closure for their fantasy game and reused that, so it's not surprising they're a long way ahead.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2014, 03:27:57 PM »

I already pledged through the kickstarter and I agree.  I will just go to their website and donate there if the kickstarter doesn't fund.  I am glad that there is a alternative way to help VO out.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
Not exactly, they'd already done a significant amount of work before the closure for their fantasy game and reused that, so it's not surprising they're a long way ahead.

Ah. Gotcha. Hence only asking for $150k?

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
That's one reason.. other is they have already purchased a lot of the equipment and programs with their own money. The asked for funds are to make it so moving forward they won't have to keep funding everything themselves. Luckily they already have ways for people to help invest and have plans for additional funding if the ks is not successful. 

VO had done SOME work before COH shut down...but have worked very hard to get where they are today. I'm just happy to see how far along VO is in terms of creation compared to the other Z projects. I'm almost as anxious for VO to launch as I am for the return of COH... almost hehe.

Ah. Gotcha. Hence only asking for $150k?

erich

• Minion
    • Art of War Gaming
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2014, 09:13:19 PM »

100% agree
Art of War Gaming

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2014, 03:09:32 AM »
To be fair, VO did have a HUGE head start on CoT--not just because of their already almost beta-level fantasy game that they had and could re-tool, but also because CoT made the hard (but right) choice to upgrade to UE 4 and so had to semi start over, which set them way back but makes much more AWESOME possible in the future.

To be fair, SilverHelm has given of their own money, blood, sweat, tears, and love to make a really amazing successor to CoH, and nothing can take that away from them.  Their game is full of heart and soul, and it will live one day no matter what.

I wish both success, and, as someone who is admittedly in the CoT camp, I hate seeing VO's Kickstarter not doing better than this, and I'm going to go contribute right now.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:34:02 AM by Empyrean »

KennonGL

• Boss
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
I firmly believe that there is plenty of room for more than 1 *good* superhero MMO out there.

While I'm certainly waiting for CoT with anticipation, what VO has accomplished with basically

no money at all is really impressive.  I'm sorry that it appears that the kickstarter isn't going

to make it.  It's only $100, but I'll be sending my pledge over to VO one way or the other.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2014, 10:31:25 PM »

Like you... I plan on supporting VO no matter what. I've not given up all hope... I mean who would have thought CoH would be in discussions right now... always gotta hope. I look forward to playing VO though ASAP though... investing however I need to...to make that happen :)

I firmly believe that there is plenty of room for more than 1 *good* superhero MMO out there.

While I'm certainly waiting for CoT with anticipation, what VO has accomplished with basically

no money at all is really impressive.  I'm sorry that it appears that the kickstarter isn't going

to make it.  It's only $100, but I'll be sending my pledge over to VO one way or the other.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2014, 02:04:51 AM »
Pledged .... a shame it doesn't look like it will make the goal in time. 
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
There's still 11 days to go. A lot can happen in 11 days.

I myself haven't been able to pledge but I still have one more paycheck before time is up. Even if I don't have the funds then. I can donate directly threw their website. Either way, they'll get some money from me eventually. LOL!

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2014, 02:44:24 AM »
I decided to donate directly through the website.

Ohioknight

• Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2014, 04:25:59 AM »
Guys, you can always just give them the money directly -- and they let you play their game... think of it as a subscriber fee (if you want to wait for CoT,  think of it as a subscriber fee until CoT lets you play THEIR game)

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »

VO and CoH are the only games I will be playing. If CoH hits a snag... at least I know I will have VO :) I'm waiting to see 100% that the KS does not accomplish it's goal and then just becoming an investor if that is the case. I figure I can donate a moderate sum and then just donate each month as well to help VO become a reality quicker :)

Guys, you can always just give them the money directly -- and they let you play their game... think of it as a subscriber fee (if you want to wait for CoT,  think of it as a subscriber fee until CoT lets you play THEIR game)

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
I just wanted to say. I hate it that I haven't been able to donate :(. I just seems everytime I get some extra money something happens.

If the kickstart doesn't go threw, I will donate directly. *crosses fingers*

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »
Aw, man.  I see that the Kickstarter is cancelled.   :-\  I was waiting for the last day to change my pledge to $10K for bragging purposes.