Author Topic: On this day,two years ago.....  (Read 10190 times)

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
On this day,two years ago.....
« on: December 01, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »
 I remember being able to log on and have some fun with friends and teammates. I deeply miss City of Heroes. Here's to all you heroes out there! I toast your steadfastness and resolve!

Quite Sincerely, Alpha Series.
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Re: On this day,two years ago.....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:20:30 AM »
A day we will remember
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
For all the friends, both players and characters, that we're longing to be reunited with.

/e holdtorch

Tahquitz

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »
Indeed, this day two years ago doth reek'd so. 

It occured to me when I was downloading Santa Conquers the Martians on Rifftrax (good luck following the train of thought that brought me from Rifftrax to the End of Paragon City), so I thought I'd stop to pay my respects.
"Work is love made visible." -- Khalil Gibran

Surelle

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 02:29:33 AM »
Raise your torches high!   8)

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:54 AM »
Was a sad day for all of us who enjoyed the escape to our favourite city.  :'(

Holding a torch hoping it returns to it's former glory!

Visual Fallacy

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:45:20 AM »
I read but don't usually post here, I rarely feel I have anything to say that hasn't already been said.

Today I just wanted to say I miss you guys and I miss our game.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
I wasn't there for the last day but I still miss being able to log in.

I still talk about the game often and still consider it the best game I've ever played.

/em hold torch

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
I stayed logged in on Champion server almost constantly until the close, torch held high on the steps when I wasn't playing. On the day itself, I played, and cried, and got more than a little drunk that night.

I still think it's one of the best games ever made.

For those here and still still hoping, for those no longer here but still miss it, for those who have passed in the two years between now and then...

/em holdtorch

Lyc~
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 10:04:10 AM by Lycantropus »

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
/em holdtorch

I was another person unable to log on on that last day. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Now I deeply regret not taking the opportunity when I could have. I miss our game. I miss its world. I pray for its return.

To those of you who might be sad today, know that you're not alone in your sorrow and that we're all here for you.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Miss Domeaner

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 12:00:54 PM »
 Two years ago today Microsoft Man 2. BeeJeebers and I stood over Atlas Park holding our torches until the servers died. Part of my heart died that day also. I miss my city and I miss my friends. I want to go home. :-[

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »

Was standing, under Atlas, with a large group of Guardians. Miss you guys!

/em holdtorch

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
Okay, "officially" November 30th is the day City of Heroes was shut down. In reality, the servers didn't go down until December 1st.

Happy Anniversary citizens of Paragon City!

Even now, two years on, I miss the game dreadfully. I've tried, and I just haven't found anything else out there that grabbed me (dare I say it..."arrested my attention") the way CoH did. The nearly effortless teaming, limited level gating on content, and generally open and approachable nature of the game have yet to be duplicated pretty much anywhere else. Also, the community, even now, is second to none.

So, on the second anniversary of CoH's shutdown, I'd like to take this time to remind people. We are heroes, we are villains, and we are forever friends.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »
I actually had a dream on the 29th that I was playing a warshade in nova form... oddly enough I had never played anything but a human form warshade and didn't use my forms for very long on my peacebringer before I stopped using them at all... And really I haven't touch a pb or ws since my early years in cox.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »
I've been looking through old videos I took of the Coh zones, I missed some but I have 6 hours of footage lol showing ALOT of zones. youtube times.

http://youtu.be/SH5XdxcYKBA
Done Published!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 08:53:31 AM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 12:34:34 AM »
/em holdtorch
next year in paragon
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
2 years ago I stood surrounded by friends, and family in Atlas Park as my 8 years as a City of Heroes player came to an end.
A few hours later, when I'd managed to stop crying and pull myself together a little...I did the only thing that I, personally, could have done at that point. I started doing the research into what eventually became Revival.
Even then, I didn't close the client for another few days.

I was 13 when I started playing. Paragon City was more than a city built of polygons, and texture maps...it was a home. I know I'm not alone in that feeling.

2 years later...we're still here. I've been called a fool, to my face, for Revival...for not letting go "of a dead game". Words from an Ex-CoHer no less. But 2 YEARS later...and I am *NOT* alone! We're all still here!

Stand vigilant, Heroes! Our time will come to once again sweep the streets of our beloved Paragon.
/em holdtorch
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:33 PM »
by the way the footage was taken up-till the shutdown 2 years ago, looks like some got cut off, I'll find it and post it as well later, I originally took those videos so I could re-explore a living paragon whenever I feel like I'm missing it. 6 hours and more.. I also took it for dev purposes, to see textures, objects and generate poly counts for city items.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:04 AM »
I was never really active on these forums until the sunset anouncement, and reading back through all of my posts and tearing up; i'm really glad that I started posting. I dont know most of you as well as I'd like, but I know that you are all my family and I still feel at home with this wonderful community.

I've always felt haunted by the thought that LT. Couper was a copywrighted character, but a few months ago I told his original creator about my Coup and he put my worries to rest with his ecstatic reaction!  Now I feel like LT. Couper can truly rest in peace.  :)

This past Sunday night and November 30th of last year, I lit a tiki torch in my front yard for CoH. And I intend to continue this every year for a long time.

I love you all!
/em holdtorch
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 01:30:31 AM »
Wow..It's been 2 years already.. I tear up thinking about that  horrible night we lost our home... BUT, we still have our awesome community and each other!! They can  NEVER break our spirits! Here's to being back in Paragon NEXT year!!

/em salute
/em holdtorch