Author Topic: Doubters and Downers. . .  (Read 74922 times)

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
Re: Doubters and Downers. . .
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »
The way I see it. We'll get the game back in one form or another eventually.....

We have the current negotiation, which I personally believe are going very well ( I mean look at the amount of details we've already gotten. I expected few details myself). If this does fall threw, there are other studios/parties interested. We have the 3 successor projects. Then that thing people whisper about in the shadows...

So I don't see anyone given up and I don't see us failing. The only real question to me is how long before I can log in again. If this current negotiation goes threw soon, if not a year from now maybe two?

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 01:03:32 AM »
The other parties were sent to Nate and Co, I don't know if one of those groups are involved in the effort to run the server or if it is a different group - that I don't know of.

You see it as this is THE effort to get everything back - I see it as AN effort to get it back.

I will not stop if this one fails just reload and try again. Yes, I did look at my 401k - and considered.........but wisdom prevailed and I left it right where it is. CoH - might - be a good investment and potentially a great one. I have a person in mind for funding if this goes belly up. He was jusr recently given a whole boatload of patents for his work when he was an inventor for a company that annually was turning over a $1 billion a year - yes he was given those patents by the owner when he retired and left to run with everything.

I do think I could get him onboard - but that is a last ditch effort as he is a close friend that while he is rich - we never let him buy a thing. Other people always want him for the cash but those who are close to him won't even let him buy us a McDonalds. We let him know we like and want him for himself money be damned. If it came to it I would just let him know of the game and see if it interests him. However that is a last ditch effort if everything else fails. In the meantime - I must start buying lottery tickets again.

Is your friend looking to adopt?   ;D
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »
The way I see it. We'll get the game back in one form or another eventually.....

We have the current negotiation, which I personally believe are going very well ( I mean look at the amount of details we've already gotten. I expected few details myself). If this does fall threw, there are other studios/parties interested. We have the 3 successor projects. Then that thing people whisper about in the shadows...

So I don't see anyone given up and I don't see us failing. The only real question to me is how long before I can log in again. If this current negotiation goes threw soon, if not a year from now maybe two?

Agreed!

Apogee

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 01:17:44 AM »
Time to get enterprising and start up the Downer Party Catering business.

At first I read this as "the Donner Party Catering business" and was like "wait ... what?!?

artbunker

• Lieutenant

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Doubters and Downers. . .the therapy thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 02:34:31 AM »
So the title is referring to this thread as a place for lifting the spirits, eh?

I like it!

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 04:50:07 AM »
Now, Gentlemen... I will point out that this is specifically stated to be a thread "just for you" (me) for making observations and asking questions to cast doubt on our collective hope!

Such as, what do we do if NCSoft doesn't say no but also never says yes? 

Does that keep all efforts on hold forever?

And, is NCSoft ACTUALLY putting significant effort into the negotiations?  Have they done anything more than, say, a meeting, lunch, couple of phone calls and a couple memos to/from legal and then two/three months of "maybe we can get back to you next month"?

Will somebody PLEASE tell me I'm full of crap!

(Having my spirits lifted sounds a HELL of a lot more fun)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 08:32:25 AM »

You're full of crap.
Happy now?

I had a huge reply typed... but realized no matter what I said... you would still be a downer... so I'll just leave it at that.

Now, Gentlemen... I will point out that this is specifically stated to be a thread "just for you" (me) for making observations and asking questions to cast doubt on our collective hope!

And, is NCSoft ACTUALLY putting significant effort into the negotiations?  Have they done anything more than, say, a meeting, lunch, couple of phone calls and a couple memos to/from legal and then two/three months of "maybe we can get back to you next month"?

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »

Well.... I can't say your full of crap BUT I can speculate that you are. :P

I will say that I seriously doubt that the team involved. Wouldn't be able to tell if NC Soft was just trying to blow them off. If NC Soft was just running them around in circles. Then they would of said so by now or done something to get NC Soft's attention.

As I said in my previous post. We got a lot of details on the deal so far. (I'm going off the top of my head here. So some of this might not be accurate).

1: NC Soft is willing to sale the IP to an Independent party.
2: We'll get the CD image of i23
3: (this is the one that has my hopes up the most) eventually we'll get CoH 1.5. Why would they agree to something like that. If the negotiations weren't going good?

And as IronWolf said. You're focusing on "this" deal. Even if this deal doesn't go threw, we know the people negotiating on our end. So we'll have a good idea of how better to approach them next time, and the time after that and the time after that.

Now EVEN if that doesn't work, we still have that whole shadow thing laying around here somewhere.....

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
please relax, it would seem the current effort is a closing deal. from what I've seen of the description of the situation so far there has already been several major handshakes, City is coming back 100%, I have no doubts.

They are just working over the particulars and legalities of running it as an autorun MMO

it may take a while, and I check here every day for some sign of new information.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

rezulin

• Minion
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »

Donner Party Catering
-----------
 We're Here to Serve You

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »
You're full of crap.
Happy now?

I had a huge reply typed... but realized no matter what I said... you would still be a downer... so I'll just leave it at that.

Actually, since I seem to recall concluding that you are somebody who knows something, your assurance that my scenario
does NOT reflect a reality does indeed makes me feel much happier.

I truly require very little to save me from the downer party.

Of course there remains the serious sidelines-fan question of how we would conclude failure of this attempt/approach if we never hear an actual "no".
But I'm sure nobody can definitively answer that -- and nobody sensible would say we're near that point.
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
Ohioknight, your questions are valid and take it from a Michigan knight that I have no doubt that one of the efforts will be successful.

I understand what the problem is the feeling of helplessness - what can I do to make this work - is what goes through your mind. Being here is what helps. I have no doubt Nate and company still visit us and the fact that we still have a community 2+ years after the game is gone will give those building games and making the effort certain they are doing the right thing.

If it was your money on the line and you knew that 20,000 people will ploink down cash to make you successful - isn't that a good thing? A famous man once said sometimes in life just showing up is winning - you are winning.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 05:18:57 PM by Ironwolf »

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 04:03:35 PM »

Donner Party Catering
-----------
 We're Here to Serve (a Piece of) You

Fix that for you

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
All this Donner Party stuff reminds me of the classic Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man."

"It's a cookbook!"

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 12:50:39 AM »
All this Donner Party stuff reminds me of the classic Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man."

"It's a cookbook!"
"And the sauces are way too fatty and over-seasoned!"
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Sihada

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 01:55:53 PM »
I think that COH may return, but not in any near timeframe.  My personal guess is that it won't happen in calendar year 2015.  I'll be pleasantly surprised to be wrong,

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
please relax, it would seem the current effort is a closing deal. from what I've seen of the description of the situation so far there has already been several major handshakes, City is coming back 100%, I have no doubts.

They are just working over the particulars and legalities of running it as an autorun MMO

it may take a while, and I check here every day for some sign of new information.

That is exactly what I've read out of it.  More or less like an agreement has been made to purchase the house and now the discussion is about which appliances and furniture are going to stay.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »
I think that COH may return, but not in any near timeframe.  My personal guess is that it won't happen in calendar year 2015.  I'll be pleasantly surprised to be wrong,

If its 2016, I think only the hardcore fans will be able to wait that long.  If they want a bigger user base, they will need to act quickly before casual fans move to different games.

Surelle

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
If its 2016, I think only the hardcore fans will be able to wait that long.  If they want a bigger user base, they will need to act quickly before casual fans move to different games.

Well... it's been two years already.  The only people even thinking about CoX anymore are the few hardcore fans like us that are left.   :)