Author Topic: Doubters and Downers. . .  (Read 74978 times)

duane

• Elite Boss
Re: Doubters and Downers. . .
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »
Well... it's been two years already.  The only people even thinking about CoX anymore are the few hardcore fans like us that are left.   :)

A good number of people are interested, but not enough to follow the updates with the highs and lows of the last few months.

I have a list of moderate zealots who await the day a.) coh returns or b.) a spiritual successor is ready to be tested out.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
If its 2016, I think only the hardcore fans will be able to wait that long.  If they want a bigger user base, they will need to act quickly before casual fans move to different games.

Casual and many hardcore fans have already moved on to other games. But they doesn't mean that some wouldn't return or give it another try.

Let me just say this: Whenever someone on an  MMORPG site asks: "What is the big deal with CoH? Why Can't you let it go?" they are always answered and generally receive many. many answers and replies. Many people still love this game. They may play something else, but open this game back up and they will most definitely log back in. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:01 PM »
Well... it's been two years already.  The only people even thinking about CoX anymore are the few hardcore fans like us that are left.   :)

Agreed, however once the game does return, new players will inevitably arrive to try it.  While the population may not reach pre shut down levels, I suspect it will be fine.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 10:24:58 PM »
I'm already advertising it's return to people. there will be more players than shut down eventually.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2014, 01:34:22 AM »
I know of 5 or 6 other people that don't follow these forums. But, they'd log back on in a heartbeat when the game reopens. I have to be the hardcore follower so they'll know when the game comes back. Not only will they know, but I'll be sure to let all my co-workers know, and the half dozen followers I have on Facebook as well. Although, half of THEM live in the same house as me, so they'll already know before I post it on Facebook...

Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2014, 01:53:13 AM »
I'm already advertising it's return to people. there will be more players than shut down eventually.

I do that to once in a while, in an online game i'll say "There is a good chance it'll come back".  In CO I knew a few who'd love to try the game out once it came back.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2014, 02:36:37 AM »
I do that to once in a while, in an online game i'll say "There is a good chance it'll come back".  In CO I knew a few who'd love to try the game out once it came back.

Well, my wife will return and play when the city is back open... hopefully we get the chance soon!

Next Year in Paragon!

/em holdtorch
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2014, 04:05:42 AM »
Annoyed with people - not necessarily here - proclaiming their opinions as "fact" and also tired of people - not here - stomping their feet and wailing for news like toddlers wailing for that ice cream cone an adult is holding over their heads as said adult chats with another adult.

Mom and dad are talking. Mom = NCSoft. Dad = people buying the game. Don't annoy them, or no ice cream for anyone.

I think I recall a South Park episode along a similar theme, Cartman's mother was denying him Kentucky Fried Chicken as an operant conditioning technique and none of the adults cared as Cartman screamed "chicken! chicken! gimme chicken!" all over the room, grabbing and climbing.... some people remind me so much of that! And I don't even like South Park that much, but that episode stuck in my head.

How hard is this having to WAIT for some people to understand? Not talking about here, really just in general. I really think a lot of people want this to fail, just so they can not have to be worried about it!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2014, 04:11:42 AM »
Well, my wife will return and play when the city is back open... hopefully we get the chance soon!

Next Year in Paragon!

/em holdtorch

You are lucky. If my husband agreed to play CoX with me, I think I would fall over dead of shock.

I tell him the only person he hurts by missing out on fun, is himself.  8)

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2014, 04:39:33 AM »
For all those of you who're all bummed out right now.

...Enjoy some tasty updated map action.
http://apr.pc-logix.com/topic/105-revival-map-update-12-10-14/
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »
Annoyed with people - not necessarily here - proclaiming their opinions as "fact" and also tired of people - not here - stomping their feet and wailing for news like toddlers wailing for that ice cream cone an adult is holding over their heads as said adult chats with another adult.

Mom and dad are talking. Mom = NCSoft. Dad = people buying the game. Don't annoy them, or no ice cream for anyone.

I think I recall a South Park episode along a similar theme, Cartman's mother was denying him Kentucky Fried Chicken as an operant conditioning technique and none of the adults cared as Cartman screamed "chicken! chicken! gimme chicken!" all over the room, grabbing and climbing.... some people remind me so much of that! And I don't even like South Park that much, but that episode stuck in my head.

How hard is this having to WAIT for some people to understand? Not talking about here, really just in general. I really think a lot of people want this to fail, just so they can not have to be worried about it!

You do have basically 3 types of people that you deal with, one group is the - are we there yet folks. They want to know everything and basically they are afraid to hope. It is a cynical world and the fact that some people are not afraid, are determined to keep getting back up and trying - is outside of their experience and I understand that.

Group 2 is the small minority who want you to fail so they can say - I told you it wouldn't work you gave everyone false hope. For some reason they actively want you to fail, they want to be able to say - I stayed above the emotions and hard work because I knew it was failure like everything else is a failure in their lives. I truly feel sorry for these folks and I want to give them my copy of Silverlock to read. Feel free to dare, to hope to create. You may fail, but that doesn't make you a failure. Moderation is for monks, take big bites out of life.

The 3rd group is the determined ones. They are mostly quiet, they dream and hope. I can tell you for a fact you can feel them out there. You feel the power of their hope and I know the folks making the effort now can feel your presence. It is tangible. Once I stepped away it was a huge release and yet I still feel responsible even if I am not the one doing the work if that makes sense. These are the ones you walk through the fire for. These are the people as one of my favorite authors David Gemmel described as - the ones to walk the mountains with. All of these folks whether they know it or not can have their place to inspire you. Whether it is to prove them wrong, to fight a little harder to get done faster or to pick you up when you are low.

This can't fail because of all of you. If it helps you to be down and doubt, by all means do so - me I will dare to dream that a 55 year old system admin can have a part in bringing a world back just out of sheer bloodymindedness.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
Feel free to dare, to hope to create. You may fail, but that doesn't make you a failure.

That reminds me of a song:)

Goddangit

• Daisy Duke's
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2014, 04:56:21 PM »
I recall months ago holding out hopes of Christmas in the Chalet.  Now I'm seeing maybe not in 2015?  :gonk:  NCSoft didn't move this slowly when they bought this IP.  I don't understand why selling it should take so long.  If I had a property gathering dust on a shelf and someone came with cash in fist I'd hand it over and say, "Anything else here interest you?"  But then I don't know everything happening on the inside.  Nor should I.

I had a dream last night.  You know the one.  I was in The City.

I want a server so badly right now...  But I have to ask myself at what point does love of this game transition from CPR to necrophilia?  I've gone from checking forums hourly to checking them daily to checking them maybe weekly...  Its been two years and I can only keep that "Any Day Now!" fever for so long.  If a successor should rise up or beyond hope a maintenance mode appear I would have my wallet out so fast I'd break my arm.  I appreciate some efforts (SCoRE) have to happen outside of attention by their very nature.  But its been two years and although there has been much talk and some really stunning pictures I'm still not putting the hurt on any Hellions/Carnies/etc.

I'm not saying anyone else should give up.  I'm just feeling tired and discouraged and homesick.  And I guess I'm expressing it badly in a rambling, wandering post.  Chalk it up to seasonal affective disorder.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
Those who know don't speak and those who speak don't know.

I am certain that all involved are under NDA now and can't discuss it beyond saying we - are still talking. The only ones saying not in 2015 are speculating. We don't have a date but we still have slow steady progress.

NCSoft is used to buying games, they are not used to selling them and especially in such a deal as we see going through.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Its been two years and I can only keep that "Any Day Now!" fever for so long.

That kinda fever is bound to burn you out. You *should* let that drop. Because "any day now" is very unlikely. A healthier approach would be to find a pastime you enjoy and focus on that for the time being. Just check in here every so often to see what's up (somewhere else works too, so long as the place you go offers *reliable* info and not just rumors). I'd say once every week or two is plenty if an update is all you're looking for. The way I see it, you only need to come back *every* day if you're looking to keep in touch with other players regularly.

When it comes back, we're gonna need two things above all.

1) We need to know about it. If you've become burnt out from checking every day, and moved on out of frustration or despair, then you'll miss the message when it does finally come. That's no good. Dial it back, take the expectations down a notch. Limit your search for updates to once every week or two. Make sure you're still here when it counts.

2) We need to still be enthusiastic about it. Remember that this is an endurance race, not a sprint. Don't check every time with your breath held, hoping this is the time you'll see that good news. The crash from that kind of pressure is too much to take regularly. There's no need of that; don't do it to yourself. Just make it a part of your routine, like you might check your email or the weather. That way, when the good news does finally show up, it will come as a very pleasant surprise on an otherwise ordinary day. That positivity will help us embrace any changes they might have to make, if they're necessary.
    It will also help us spread the word to old friends and new players. If we're focused on the positives when we tell people about it, it's more likely to convince other potential players to try it out for themselves. And that can only help give the re-launch more strength.

The thing is, this is one mission we can't steamroll. Patience is the only thing that will do us any good in this case. Getting excited over it on a daily basis is pointless - it isn't going to get us anywhere, except worn down and tired. And growing frustrated over it is useless to us - our *feeling* that it isn't working doesn't mean that it isn't working; it just means we can't see it.

The real key to patience is finding ways to take your mind off the thing you're waiting for, so the impatience doesn't wreck you. For most that means stepping back and doing something else in the meantime, while keeping an eye on it from afar.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »
I recall months ago holding out hopes of Christmas in the Chalet.  Now I'm seeing maybe not in 2015?  :gonk:  NCSoft didn't move this slowly when they bought this IP.  I don't understand why selling it should take so long.

Those who know don't speak and those who speak don't know.

I am certain that all involved are under NDA now and can't discuss it beyond saying we - are still talking. The only ones saying not in 2015 are speculating. We don't have a date but we still have slow steady progress.

NCSoft is used to buying games, they are not used to selling them and especially in such a deal as we see going through.

the fact they are even under an NDA right now say ALOT of /POSITIVE/ things. from what Ironwolf has updated me on in the new efforts thread, they are indeed in final stage talks, let me list it out for you.

positive point 1: NCsoft has NOT signed anything yet, but verbal approval of COH coming back (with no new developments) has been voiced by NCSoft.

Positive point 2: the deal is not signed, this is because there are additional negotiations going on!

I can only assume that negotiations are being made with NCSoft for the final incarnate content and such to be full-filled. that may sound easy to you, but it is not because alot of it is still in beta form which means development would be required!

Neutral point 1: the team that is in negotiations with NCSoft is also attempting to get approval of the usage of intellectual right protected city of heroes and villain premises in their own new game, I can't guess exactly what that means but I can say for sure it means ALOT of painstakingly long legal discussions, extremely detailed board meeting talks and the solving of potential intellectual property problems as the process goes on along with more painstakingly long legal discussions to tie up loose ends.

UNTIL the process has fully concluded, we should not expect to hear anything, and that is a positive thing. the longer the talks go on the more we are getting.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »
Agreed, however once the game does return, new players will inevitably arrive to try it.  While the population may not reach pre shut down levels, I suspect it will be fine.

And there will be alot of new people who log on to give it a try just because of the reputation it's gotten from the player frenzy during shutdown and after.  They'll  want to see what the big deal was for themselves. 

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2014, 09:47:23 PM »
That kinda fever is bound to burn you out. You *should* let that drop. Because "any day now" is very unlikely. A healthier approach would be to find a pastime you enjoy and focus on that for the time being. Just check in here every so often to see what's up (somewhere else works too, so long as the place you go offers *reliable* info and not just rumors). I'd say once every week or two is plenty if an update is all you're looking for. The way I see it, you only need to come back *every* day if you're looking to keep in touch with other players regularly.

When it comes back, we're gonna need two things above all.

1) We need to know about it. If you've become burnt out from checking every day, and moved on out of frustration or despair, then you'll miss the message when it does finally come. That's no good. Dial it back, take the expectations down a notch. Limit your search for updates to once every week or two. Make sure you're still here when it counts.

2) We need to still be enthusiastic about it. Remember that this is an endurance race, not a sprint. Don't check every time with your breath held, hoping this is the time you'll see that good news. The crash from that kind of pressure is too much to take regularly. There's no need of that; don't do it to yourself. Just make it a part of your routine, like you might check your email or the weather. That way, when the good news does finally show up, it will come as a very pleasant surprise on an otherwise ordinary day. That positivity will help us embrace any changes they might have to make, if they're necessary.
    It will also help us spread the word to old friends and new players. If we're focused on the positives when we tell people about it, it's more likely to convince other potential players to try it out for themselves. And that can only help give the re-launch more strength.

The thing is, this is one mission we can't steamroll. Patience is the only thing that will do us any good in this case. Getting excited over it on a daily basis is pointless - it isn't going to get us anywhere, except worn down and tired. And growing frustrated over it is useless to us - our *feeling* that it isn't working doesn't mean that it isn't working; it just means we can't see it.

The real key to patience is finding ways to take your mind off the thing you're waiting for, so the impatience doesn't wreck you. For most that means stepping back and doing something else in the meantime, while keeping an eye on it from afar.
exactly trip :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2014, 04:07:59 AM »
Its been 2 years a few months at this point doesn't bother me. Even if we were to get a "yes" it would still take time to get something up and running. Then it would be some time for CoH 1.5 to be released.

Trust me, I would love to be playing CoH right now, but our current hand is that we have to wait and see.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2014, 06:05:47 AM »
I refuse to give up hope that someday CoH will come back. Stranger things have happened, things that people deemed impossible.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.