Author Topic: Calling RPers.  (Read 2260 times)

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
Calling RPers.
« on: December 08, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
Hi everyone.

When City of Heroes shut down. One of the things I regret the most was not giving Role Playing a fair chance. Now I don't think I'd RP constantly but I do want a character that has a story and a goal. A character that I can get on when I'm in the mood to RP. If that makes sense.

So for the RPers. I'm bouncing back and forth between mind/time controller or illusion/time controller (if there are other combinations that'd be good. I'm open to suggestions.) The characters lose story is going to be. Their immortal (or they believe they are). The person they cared the most for has died (killed). Since they believe their immortal. They can never see this person again. So they are trying to become powerful enough (incarnate level) to build. A litteral dream world where they are re-united with this person.

What do you think of the power combinations? Think they'd work and are there any other ones I haven't thought of?

Ty for any suggestions or advice.

Sajaana

• Boss
Re: Calling RPers.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Well, if you want to be a roleplayer, you are not limited to the powers you do in the AT trays.  :o

Your most important powers as a roleplayer are the ones that aren't listed in your AT trays!  ;)

For example, I knew of several psychics who roleplayed Fortunas, Controllers, Dominators.  They had the power to read minds when talking to other roleplayers.  So they indicated on their biography card something like this:

"Natalia Fairweather has the power to sense thoughts."

So, when playing, she might give out a signal via /tell:

[[I'm reading your mind right now.  What are you thinking?]]

And good roleplayers who are messaged this way (and you do want to be a good roleplayer, don't you?) will be obliged to play along:

[[I'm thinking of the revenge I am plotting against Femme Fencer.]]

See how important those powers which are listed on your biography card can be?  Those powers--the powers you roleplay with--are, in many ways, much more important than the powers you use to fight off NPCs.

So my first bit of advice to you is to figure out this character's roleplay powers before figuring out the primary and secondary builds.  Is this character truly 'deathless' insofar as he or she can...say...rise from the dead, if killed during a text fight?  Or can this character survive tremendous physical punishment, even a thermonuclear bomb blast?  Or does this character's connection to this "dream world" give him or her the power to place another character in a dream world?  Can this character move between the dream world and the real world at will?  Or after receiving a trauma?

Those are the questions I would ask when designing a new roleplay character.  If I can figure out the character's roleplaying powers, the rest of the build just falls into place.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
Maybe I have my terminology is wrong then.

Maybe what I'm really saying is I want a concept character?

I want a character built around the power combination I chose for them. With a back story for their powers and what they are using those powers for.

As with this particular character, I want them to be a illusion/time controller because I want to be able to say, their using their illusion/time powers. To build a dream world, that can be inhabited by themselves and others. The reason why they are building this dream world is because they believe it's the only way to re-unite with so and so.

To be able to do this, they have to become stronger (incarnate) because building your own world isn't easy. LOL!

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:33:59 PM »
Well, a lot of what Sajaana said still applies.  Basically, you don't have to stick to what the game powers say they are. For instance I had a grav/storm controller, she didn't control weather at all.  All of her storm powers were RP'd as being aspects of her ability to manipulate gravity in some form or another.  Then had an illusion controller who was a Valkyrie who summoned the souls of past warriors to help her fight.

With what you describe your concept as, I'd say illusion/anything could work.  The phantoms and such could be attempts to manifest their loved ones, or others in the real world again, you could say they were illusions, spirits, or be dig reality to partially recreate them.  Time or kinetics could also be said to be another way of them manipluating reality or matter in certain ways.  For rp purposes your powers are doing what you say they are doing

One thing I would caution though.  A character concept wrapped around a tragic or obsessive premise can lead to dark places, which can become a big turn off for those who rp with you.  While being grim dark isn't by default a bad thing, too much of it gets irritating real fast.  I've seen characters where pretty much this exchange kept coming up because a guy kept being angsty all the time aboutnhw he was doomed to forever be alone

Angsty Bob: I have such a lonely existence because no one likes me and I'm shunned by society

Super Joe: actually we've been fighting crime together for a few weeks now and you seem OK to us

Angsty Bob: No,no, for I'm horribly scarred and it scares people and makes them uneasy and distrust me!

Super Joe: You know Jar Head here is a brain in a jar on top of a gorilla/lizard/wolf uhm hawk body...

Jar Head: duck actually.  I'm part duck

Super Joe: OK yeah, duck.and Atomic Jane over there has a skull for a face,  and her partner the Atomic Bong smokes radioactive weed to get his powers so you really don't register on the weird-o-meter around here.

Angst Bob: No, I must forever be alone because my archnemesis is so powerful he will kill anyone who is close to me, and only I can stand up to him!

Super Joe: uhm... you do realize that we all have super powers, right?  Well, except for Kicky Alice.... but I saw her kick the head off of one of those 5th column robots, so I think she can handle herself.  And not to be too blunt, but I could kick your butt blindfolded while making a sandwich.
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen