Author Topic: Valiance Online  (Read 104201 times)

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
Valiance Online
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:15:59 PM »
Ouch, that's even more messed up than I had assumed.  I just did a quick check on Steam's Community page, and the Dev's for the game have posted an info questionnaire there to get data from users having problems so they can isolate the cause(s) and get the game up and running for you.  I'm sure the official game page at the Dev's site will have one as well in their game forums.

And on the CoH side of things, I'm waiting patiently for the negotiations with NCSoft to conclude (hopefully on a positive note), so we can all get back to the old neighborhood.  In the meantime, I've tried out Valiance Online this week after the open Alpha test was announced.  I showed it to a RL friend of mine who also played CoH in the past, and he remarked on how similarly VO's initial area represented Atlas Park's layout.  Yep, there's the AE Building, Vanguard Building, Hospital, and even the cross-town tunnel... and look, goons to beat on hiding under the overpasses!  Grin!!!

I dunno if you can share (there might be privacy rules with the alpha and whatnot), but how does it play overall? Did you get to try out any of the powersets, or was it more of a "wander around and see what's up?" I'm very curious about how put together it is right now, and at the moment I'm not sure I can access the alpha myself, haha.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Sugoi

• Boss
Re: Valiance Online
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:25:28 PM »

I dunno if you can share (there might be privacy rules with the alpha and whatnot), but how does it play overall? Did you get to try out any of the powersets, or was it more of a "wander around and see what's up?" I'm very curious about how put together it is right now, and at the moment I'm not sure I can access the alpha myself, haha.

Didn't have to sign an NDA in blood or anything... so I assume they want us talking about their successor game.

Right now they're testing basic character types, and I chose a controller type with Ice and Healing powers... you gain XP while using the powers, not just by taking down the Hellion-class enemies.  I had fun with it, and within a couple of hours of gameplay had 7 powers in each powerset to try out... and there may be more, just haven't gotten to em yet.  Oh, yeah and you can fly from level 1 as well. 

Give it a try, you may start having some flashbacks...

Here's the pre-alpha info page:
http://valiance.shogn.net/game/news/article/35-open-pre-alpha-testing

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:40:17 PM »
Didn't have to sign an NDA in blood or anything... so I assume they want us talking about their successor game.

Right now they're testing basic character types, and I chose a controller type with Ice and Healing powers... you gain XP while using the powers, not just by taking down the Hellion-class enemies.  I had fun with it, and within a couple of hours of gameplay had 7 powers in each powerset to try out... and there may be more, just haven't gotten to em yet.  Oh, yeah and you can fly from level 1 as well. 

Give it a try, you may start having some flashbacks...

Here's the pre-alpha info page:
http://valiance.shogn.net/game/news/article/35-open-pre-alpha-testing

Thank you for this! I am going to so leap on this as soon as I get home today :)

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
you gain XP while using the powers, not just by taking down the Hellion-class enemies. 

Can you explain this in more detail, please?
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 09:27:20 PM »
Can you explain this in more detail, please?

While you're using your powers in combat against the targets, you gain XP... when you reach a certain XP level, you gain access to a new power automatically.  The target kills count for mission completion, but I didn't notice any XP for taking them down yet.  Of course, I assume all of this is the pre-alpha setup, and not the final game configuration.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »
While you're using your powers in combat against the targets, you gain XP... when you reach a certain XP level, you gain access to a new power automatically.  The target kills count for mission completion, but I didn't notice any XP for taking them down yet.  Of course, I assume all of this is the pre-alpha setup, and not the final game configuration.

What actually happens is when you take an enemy down, the game looks at the powers you used to take him down and assign exp accordingly.  So if say your using healing energy during the fight you will get healing energy exp when he dies.  A good example is to win a fight using exclusively energy blast, for instance, you'll get more exp for energy blast but none for your secondary(which would have to be healing energy at this point I think).

To maximize exp in the current system you want to use powers from both powersets however as you get less total exp if you win a battle using just one powerset.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
Looking in the chat window, I was seeing the XP being assigned during combat results while using the powers, not after the target is taken down, unless they've changed the procedure in the last couple of days.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:09:56 PM by Sugoi »

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:08:21 PM »
Ah, just logged back in for a quick fight.. and they did change the routine for XP assignment, as LaughingAlex described above.  Sorry on giving the outdated info.  Guess we should expect rapid changes during testing.  Grin!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 11:13:09 PM »

I trust this was in an attempt to KO power leveling and farming?

heh I had the same idea, but mine worked out a bit differently I saw the flaw of not allowing players to choose the next attack they get. So my system turned into a completely different animal. I don't want to say too much because I have yet to fully program that animal but it's no savage beast, more like 101 dalmatians. As in it wont be a hard to wrestle it into submission, it will just be tedious. For now however, I must finish the character bases..
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:02 PM »
Well, it is in testing mode right now, so I wouldn't consider how they're doing things currently as the final configuration.  And as LaughingAlex noted, they've made some changes from the routines I noted within the last couple of days.

Dr. Bad Guy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
This is really, really early yet. Ask questions in game and in forum there. There is usually a dev in game and their pretty good at answering question if they have an answer and I'll almost guarantee they've got paper and a pen handy for suggestions. These folks really want to make a game that they like and almost as important, that WE like. I'm Dr Nice Guy and I approve this message.

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 04:26:11 AM »

Enjoyed the Character Creator tool  :) entered the game, ran around a bit, tried the /dance emote, and chatted in global.  Good fun!!

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »
Enjoyed the Character Creator tool  :) entered the game, ran around a bit, tried the /dance emote, and chatted in global.  Good fun!!

Oh boy, that sounds so reminiscent of CoH. I'll try to get it up and running pretty soon - been swamped with work and writing the second draft of my book so I haven't had the chance to get on and start piddling about with things.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 02:40:26 PM »
So I checked it out last night, and it was pretty fun! Of course, as is to be expected, it's very alpha-y, but I was pleasantly surprised at how in depth the character creator was already. Even got to try out Safehouse's old energy powers a little bit.

I can't wait to see what the finished product will be like!

ValianceOnline

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
It's very pre-alpha-y right now actually. :)

There is no NDA so feel free to discuss, share screenshots/videos, etc.

Our current testing area does feel like our old home but it is a small fraction of the map to come. More details are being released soon.

In general, lots of things are very basic right now but we have about a year of development ahead of us... and some things are not "ready for prime time" and you aren't seeing the latest in-game yet.

This week will be a patch that includes new character models and changes to the animation system as well as bug fixes, a mission NPC, waypoint fixes and other updates.

Coming weeks will also see character generator 2.0, a new leveling system, and more power sets, mobs, visual effects, missions, sewers (deeper levels) and a BOSS.

This is only the beginning, a lot more is on the way!

Let us know any questions or feedback you have, it is much appreciated!

Thanks also to the Titan folks for setting up the Plan Z forum. :)

Also, to celebrate the holidays, this will be happening...

8)

darnstrong

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
Lots to come guys.. the new Char models and Char Gen 2.0 are gonna blow your minds.. :)

ValianceOnline

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »
2.0 is not the last planned update to chargen too (not counting the tons of costume pieces to be added over time).  8)

Mandrake

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
I've been quiet on these forums here for a long time. I have to say the team on this project are some of the most interactive with the players I've ever been a part of. Not to mention they don't just respond but actually listen and really take player input seriously. It shows in the end results as they happen.

I am really intent on that Greenlight over at Steam succeeding! I want to see these guys take off with even greater gusto (which would be absolutely amazing considering the pace at which they are going already!). Just from what I've experienced so far, it is in the bag for a familiar, fun, but nicely different world in so many cool ways!

If you haven't logged in and tried it yet, you've gotta give it a whirl. Made my wife and I get all misty eyed street sweeping, running missions, and hitting the sewers! In fact just flying up a bit and looking around at first login was a pretty speechless moment let me tell you... just wow! I can't wait to watch as everything gets implemented over time.

Oh yeah, Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Have a great day everyone! :D

- Mandrake

ValianceOnline

• Lieutenant
    • Valiance Online
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 10:54:32 PM »
Let's just say the Valiance Online Team has never met a cup of coffee it didn't like. ;)

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 11:56:37 PM »
I'm really enjoying the game.  More so now with the addition of "quasi-flight".

For those that haven't played, right now flying involves three steps:

1) Rising -- you can only rise if you have no forward motion.
2) Flying -- think of this is straight and level flight.
3) Falling -- you can only reduce your altitude if you have no forward motion.

It's cumbersome at first but it beats running around the map.

I'm sure we'll soon have true flight.