Author Topic: Agent Carter  (Read 6530 times)

Mandu

• Elite Boss
Agent Carter
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:56:49 AM »
I really like it so far.  The show has done a great job of looking authentic to the 40s.  But to nitpick a bit I wasn't a huge fan of excessive references to Cap.  Either you are a fan of the movies or comics in which case you already know the background or you aren't in which case the background in no way affects the story.  I didn't like the GOIS
Spoiler for Hidden:
Glowy Orange Implody Stuff
and I hope this doesn't turn into a
Spoiler for Hidden:
Track down the Stark weapon of the week
show.  But I like the mystery bad guy group and the
Spoiler for Hidden:
missing vocal cords of the members
intrigued me.  The only part that really disappointed me was
Spoiler for Hidden:
the death of James Frain's character because I love him in every role he's done.
  Or at least all of them that I've seen.

Oh and it was also great to see Bridget Regan again in a series I actually want to watch. 

Vee

• Elite Boss
Re: Agent Carter
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
I thought it was well done, especially Jarvis. Though it's entirely possible I was just impressed by the fact that none of the characters were so annoying as to make me want to knock myself unconscious like a certain other marvel s.h.o.w.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:53:38 PM »
I thought it was well done, especially Jarvis. Though it's entirely possible I was just impressed by the fact that none of the characters were so annoying as to make me want to knock myself unconscious like a certain other marvel s.h.o.w.

Yeah... Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is pretty awful...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:18:26 PM »
oh yeah, i should have been more specific. on the other hand agent carter is the only current marvel show where most of the cast doesn't really annoy me so maybe not. though skye, fitz, simmons and ward would all rank above anyone in hulk or ultimate spidey on my most annoying list. I dislike skye more than anyone on any current tv show and i'd never have believed someone could knock Carl from the Walking Dead off that perch.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 03:12:19 PM »
and I hope this doesn't turn into a
Spoiler for Hidden:
Track down the Stark weapon of the week
show.
It may for this season, as ABC only ordered the 8 episodes, but I have a feeling if it can keep its pace it will easily be picked up for a second run of 13 or 24 episodes next year. Unlike that other ABC Marvel show, you know, Agents of SMASH, It seems to have a strong cast an self-contained premise. It won't have to sit aroun with its type writer up its arse waiting for some movie to unlock its next level.

I tolerated the Cap references by reminding myself that most Americans have the attention span of a horny fruit fly and the first Cap movie came out several years ago.
Spoiler for Hidden:
I also like how her issues with the cap radio play mirror her greater issues with American Society in 1946 and how " Nurse Carver" completely downplays who Agent Carter was. I agree they could either be toned down or better made to fit the individual episodes, but I did not hate em.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
It may for this season, as ABC only ordered the 8 episodes, but I have a feeling if it can keep its pace it will easily be picked up for a second run of 13 or 24 episodes next year. Unlike that other ABC Marvel show, you know, Agents of SMASH, It seems to have a strong cast an self-contained premise. It won't have to sit aroun with its type writer up its arse waiting for some movie to unlock its next level.

There's only 8 episodes because it was planned as a mini series.  This was not a case of "let's order a few episodes and see if it catches on". Agent Carter from the get go was meant to be something to fill that mid season break for Agents of SHIELD.  So I have fairly high hopes that the Stark weapon of the week will only be the means to which they dig into the BigBad of the series rather than the driving force behind the show... at least that is my hope.  So for the writers, its we have exactly 8 episodes to tell our story. 

I also like how they portrayed Carter and her fighting against how her role in the agency, her accomplishments during the war and herself because of her gender are being trivialized. Helping Stark is only part of the reason she agrees to go along with Stark's plan.  She wants to prove she's just as capable as anyone, and to do something that matters. Even if no one else will ever know what she was doing. This was a woman who helped take down Hydra and now she's regulated to filing and getting coffee.  And anything she accomplished in the War have been reduced to "She was Captain America's girlfriend". 

But there are times when they do push the "all male agents are meat heads" a bit much.

Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 07:05:44 AM »
Spoiler for Hidden:
Madame Masque, neat.

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:35 PM »
I'm assuming that alien stuff is related to what's going on in Agents. Isn't that symbol on that little stick the same?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 10:55:20 AM »
I'm assuming that alien stuff is related to what's going on in Agents.
Not "alien", exactly.  Darkforce.  This will tie Doctor Strange into the established universe.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 12:33:34 AM »

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 12:44:49 AM »
Meh, season 2 was awful anyways.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 04:26:54 AM »
I didn't mind season 2, but I didn't have a season 1 to compare it to...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Ulysses Dare

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 05:56:09 AM »
That's a pity. Season two was weaker than season one, but I still found it enjoyable.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 01:59:08 PM »
Yeah, this sucks.  No more Atwell as Carter.  She was always spot on note perfect for the character... and her chemistry with James D'Arcy was always off the charts. TV won't be as much fun without the two of them taking up those few hours.

I was hoping we would get to see her actually found SHIELD on the show at some point.  Maybe they'll do a flashback show for Agents where they show how that happened.  Anything to see her as Carter again.   :(

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 04:12:05 PM »
Yeah, this sucks.  No more Atwell as Carter.  She was always spot on note perfect for the character... and her chemistry with James D'Arcy was always off the charts. TV won't be as much fun without the two of them taking up those few hours.

I was hoping we would get to see her actually found SHIELD on the show at some point.  Maybe they'll do a flashback show for Agents where they show how that happened.  Anything to see her as Carter again.   :(

^^ All of this.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 08:47:51 AM »
Currently a campaign to try to convince Marvel to turn it into a Netflix series.  I'm sure it won't amount to anything. 

The issue with the series is that it didn't complement the MCU or AoS in anything other than a throw away line or two.  AoS provides continuation of the universe in present day between the movies.  AC could only provide flashbacks.  2nd season needed more Howling Commandos.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Mandu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 11:38:37 AM »
Currently a campaign to try to convince Marvel to turn it into a Netflix series.  I'm sure it won't amount to anything. 

The issue with the series is that it didn't complement the MCU or AoS in anything other than a throw away line or two.  AoS provides continuation of the universe in present day between the movies.  AC could only provide flashbacks.  2nd season needed more Howling Commandos.

Second season could have used more Howling Commandos except that Dum Dum was a bit busy being a big bad.  And the Commandos are nothing without Dum Dum.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
2nd season needed more Howling Commandos.

TV in general needs more Howling Commandos.  Maybe as a replacement for Agent Carter?   :roll:

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 08:33:47 PM »
That's a pity. Season two was weaker than season one, but I still found it enjoyable.

Season 2 was better than season 1 in my opinion. Also,
Spoiler for Hidden:
I think the reason why ABC cancelled Agent Cater because she died in Captain America: Civil War.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 09:21:08 PM »
Season 2 was better than season 1 in my opinion. Also,
Spoiler for Hidden:
I think the reason why ABC cancelled Agent Cater because she died in Captain America: Civil War.

That would be like CBS cancelling The Jeffersons because Edith Bunker died on All In The Family.