Author Topic: Best CO update since I started playing  (Read 11515 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Best CO update since I started playing
« on: January 17, 2015, 04:07:42 AM »
By far.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9062683

I'm not Silver because I'm cheap. I'm Silver... because.

This helps subscribers too due to they don't have to monkey around with keys as much and have more opportunity to sell their stuff, especially in the AE.

Good move, whoever.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Best CO update since I started playing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:25:51 AM »
By far.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9062683

I'm not Silver because I'm cheap. I'm Silver... because.

This helps subscribers too due to they don't have to monkey around with keys as much and have more opportunity to sell their stuff, especially in the AE.

Good move, whoever.

I question if they are doing this because they didn't sell as many lifetime subscriptions as they'd hoped to.  This is something they should have done a long time ago.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:45 AM »
This update makes keys, their cash cow, less popular.

Be happy I say.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 06:19:41 AM »
This update makes keys, their cash cow, less popular.

Be happy I say.

Aye, I am happy :).  It's a change thats been needed for well over a year now.  It will help trade significantly, as barter can only go so far and this ensures bartering won't be as critically important, the auction house will actually be useful for a silver.

Edit: Though yeah, we'll be seeing less keys on the market, and less purchases of them.  This might work against the games long term survival.  It might have been a smart idea years ago, now, i'm not so sure.  Better late than never I guess.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:52:17 AM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »
they have a history of bait and switch.  Trying to sell discounted lifetime subscriptions right before a shut down would be the ultimate bait and switch.  Hope you enjoyed that lifetime subscription that lasted a couple months ;-)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
they have a history of bait and switch.  Trying to sell discounted lifetime subscriptions right before a shut down would be the ultimate bait and switch.  Hope you enjoyed that lifetime subscription that lasted a couple months ;-)

Anything is possible, but I don't see a real reason why they would shut down Champions Online. Financially speaking, they aren't putting a ton of resources into it that would make their profit-loss statement look significantly better. It's also the only license they have that they own outright. If they ever lost the license to NW or STO then they'd want to have something to fall back on.

Now I certainly could be wrong. I could log on today and see a closure announcement-- the closing of City taught me that there's no guarantee that any MMO won't shut down at any time-- but I am not expecting it at this point in time.

If Cryptic ever comes out with another IP that they own rather than license I might put CO's chances a little worse, but right now I'm not expecting it.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
I've been hearing voices of doom about Lifetime subs since, if I remember right, the first month I started playing.

The sky could fall tomorrow too. Ya never know.

Looking forward to the G Cap raise. I'm glad now that I didn't *completely* stop farming (I'd call it more.. occasionally collecting..) Q and just happen to have enuff to blow it all on this account upgrade.

It's great that they even have the things they have that can be traded for Q - like FF/AT slots, Hideouts, and now this Cap raise - but, I'm sure glad I started when I did instead of now while the trading value of Q is worth less than half of what it was when I was farming it. I don't even bother now, It's too depressing.
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
Anything is possible, but I don't see a real reason why they would shut down Champions Online. Financially speaking, they aren't putting a ton of resources into it that would make their profit-loss statement look significantly better. It's also the only license they have that they own outright. If they ever lost the license to NW or STO then they'd want to have something to fall back on.

Now I certainly could be wrong. I could log on today and see a closure announcement-- the closing of City taught me that there's no guarantee that any MMO won't shut down at any time-- but I am not expecting it at this point in time.

If Cryptic ever comes out with another IP that they own rather than license I might put CO's chances a little worse, but right now I'm not expecting it.

Well, you have to remember it's Cryptic North thats running it, a separate studio.   And I think it(the studio) owned by PWE, so we never know really.  Honestly a game running under the circumstances CO is and the reputation plus it being under Cryptic North, PWE might decide enough is enough.  Heck it's more of a question of how they view CO I guess.  Is it damaging their reputation or not?  Go figure.

It is very depressing how worthless Q has become though, I agree with you there.  They removed questionite drops from various bosses and blamed that for the inflation but the real cause of the inflation was them doing a couple of double-questionite weekends.  They let people earn double the questionite of course the prices will fall apart.  One little box only holding 90% of the time only 200 q isn't going to impact the economy anywhere near as much as having an event that doubles every questionite drop and gain from quests.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 08:21:27 PM »
Honestly a game running under the circumstances CO is and the reputation plus it being under Cryptic North, PWE might decide enough is enough.  Heck it's more of a question of how they view CO I guess.  Is it damaging their reputation or not?  Go figure.

Lol what reputation would that be... Seriously.

Seems to me that PWE is just as lucky to have Cryptic as Cryptic is to have PWE at this point.

They let people earn double the questionite of course the prices will fall apart.  One little box only holding 90% of the time only 200 q isn't going to impact the economy anywhere near as much as having an event that doubles every questionite drop and gain from quests.

Q Crates are what killed the trading value of Q.

Ever since Q crates came out the trading value of Q went down and stayed down. Q Crates are a lot easier to come by if you are a subscriber or blow a lot of coin on keys like some people do. It wasn't a bad move on their part. This way they keep Q in the game but severely devalue it for Silvers, who, should feel lucky for Everything they get for 'free' especially given the fact that you can get so much in CO just by playing CO..

I've read in Zone from long time players in the past, especially around the time this current price set in, that sometimes Q goes up dramatically and sometimes it goes down dramatically in worth vs. Zen. Currently it is way down. It would not be surprising to me to see its value adjusted again. Hopefully upwards.  : )
Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:35 PM »

Seems to me that PWE is just as lucky to have Cryptic as Cryptic is to have PWE at this point.

Ever since Q crates came out the trading value of Q went down and stayed down. Q Crates are a lot easier to come by if you are a subscriber or blow a lot of coin on keys like some people do. It wasn't a bad move on their part. This way they keep Q in the game but severely devalue it for Silvers, who, should feel lucky for Everything they get for 'free' especially given the fact that you can get so much in CO just by playing CO..

I've read in Zone from long time players in the past, especially around the time this current price set in, that sometimes Q goes up dramatically and sometimes it goes down dramatically in worth vs. Zen. Currently it is way down. It would not be surprising to me to see its value adjusted again. Hopefully upwards.  : )
The reputation of a lackluster game from devs that have done anything for the game a year and a half out side of the temp arcs that are not in game anymore and lockboxes. champions online had a lot of potential, however, due to cryptic/atarii/pwe mismanaged co, I believe they have crossed the point of no return. co is nowhere near where it should be it's life such as a full l50 experience, much more missions, and more development done on it.
Due to cryptic/atarii/pwe's mismanagement has caused a lot of resentment towards co. I began playing co in cb phase 2 and stopped a year and a half ago. The reason being is there has not been any major updates, yes I know of the update a few months ago wheee, it will be another year and half before another major update gets rolled out. What irritates me is the devs blaming the players on how co turned out, when it was the devs who has done next to nothing with co and wonders why next to no one really plays anymore.
They could have fixed co just like they fixed sto, they just do not want to. Yes the reason could be because they own the champions ip but that is a copout. And sto could still be mismanaged if it was not for cbs was threating to pull the license for star trek. And within 6 months sto got so much better and left co in the dust. So yes as Alex has said co is damaging pwe/cryptic's rep. Just as they are damaging their own rep.   
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 09:01:43 PM »

Hmmm, interesting you bring up the big guys here, yeah I think they were tying to economy to much to lockboxes.  I honestly suspect they plan to make cosmic keys bind on purchase with the change they are making.  They are probably doing this because they perceive cryptic or PWE demanding them(cryptic north) to implement such a change in the future if they hadn't already.  Without this feature coming up, expanding global cap for silver players, silver players would be completely locked economically, and have even less incentive to play than they may already have.  Cosmic keys themselves should never have become a defacto currency in the first place.

One thing I can see this change doing though, with less cosmic keys less lockboxes will be opened, so we may see a drop in the number of crates of questionite and a drop in drifter salvage crates.

Could this change help in the long run, now that I think about it more?  Honestly, it helps deal with new players who decide to stay but not spend anything on an actual subscription, they'd just spend 5 bucks on the cap and maybe another 25-50 dollars later on a freeform slot.  The only thing CN needs now is something to unlock power colors for silver players.  Income through new blood rather than trying to appease the elitist old guard(that I honestly hate now considering they are the ones who demanded a total neutering of vehicles that was very extreme and short sighted).

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:19:17 PM »
As for reputation since I said nothing in my last post, lets look at CO again.  People often see the game itself as baiting and switching, and then look at PWE and Cryptic(nevermind Cryptic north, so many people forget that is a separate studio started by cryptic even though it works on CO).  They see the harm they did and end up not wanting to try their other stuff.  It doesn't help the sheer number of collosal mistakes made on CO.

Angel does bring up an interesting point about the complacency of CO, and it's developers AND community.  You often see this when you speak with CO players, they act as if everything is fine when in reality it's FUBAR.

REmember I always say this, I do not want the game to be shut down inspite the feeling of also believing it probably should be.  It's because i'm a realist.  I see the problems CO has and I get chastised for pointing them out, equally as much if I do propose solutions, for me it's a lose/lose situation there.  I'm just being the realist in saying that CO keeps digging it's own grave or has kept doing so for a long time now and my analogies about CO vs CoH are perfectly in line with that.

CoH isn't going to be the only mmorpg to come back from the grave, and certainly it's not just mmorpgs that come back from the grave.  Look at fallout, and Spec ops.  Both franchises had a reboot, and while the later wasn't the most successful reboot it's a reboot that people do find and discover, just as Fallout is a franchise that did very well in it's reboot right away, but both had a different impact on the gaming community both in a surprisingly good way for those that played em.

But Champions itself is going to need a reboot in a different form entirely.  The odds of CO itself getting rebooted if it were to shutter is likely a 0.0001% vs CoH's inevitable return, because of it's reputation.  It's what i'd call a "Black mark".  The sheer number of colossal mistakes made with CO is bad not only for the companies that mis-managed it and the game itself even, but for the champions IP as well.  As much as I actually like the game I can see the implications of it as a game and it's effects on gamers aren't to me positive either.  People are left either unhappy with it.  The few who are prove often to just want an immoral power fantasy, in a way CO even proves to be the opposite of Spec ops the line.

Could CO rebound?  I'd hope so, but i'm extremely skeptical and nervous for it's future, for obvious reasons that i've stated.  It ended up very FUBAR, makes me sad to see that and even sadder to say that but, it's FUBAR.  But again neither the community nore the developers are really aware of that and they just have this level of complacency about them.

I'm glad again to see this change coming up, as trade is near-impossible when people have to resort purely to bartering with a de-facto currency and when said currency is tied to actual money.  Heck one person said it'll lead to less scamming and complaints of it from real money loss, and I agree with him there.  But this should have been implemented at least a year and a half or more ago.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
Dooooooooom.

We'll be fine.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 11:03:05 PM »
The reputation of a lackluster game from devs that have done anything for the game a year and a half out side of the temp arcs that are not in game anymore and lockboxes.   

LA was saying that PWE might drop CO due to they might worry about their (PWE) rep. I am saying... what rep does PWE have.. and that they both (Cryptic & PWE) seem lucky to have each other at this point..

Angel does bring up an interesting point about the complacency of CO, and it's developers AND community.  You often see this when you speak with CO players, they act as if everything is fine when in reality it's FUBAR.

Well, if players, such as myself, are "often" happy enough to keep playing,.. Then we're happy enough to keep playing. Some people obviously aren't and many of them frequent this forum..

Is CO all it could be? What is..? I want more for CO too but it is what it is and what it is is good enough for me and this is why I play.

Among other things, as a Silver I have a lot of the privileges of a subbed player and have access to one of the finest toon creators I have ever experienced. At this time that's good enough for me and here they went and even improved on what I get for free by eliminating the G cap. So, I'm like... Yipee.

I could go down the list and dispute every single negative comment in this thread but I'm not going to.

I'm sorry CoH is gone. I'm sorry CO isn't what you want it to be.
Hugs, guys.
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 12:21:05 AM »
Dooooooooom.

We'll be fine.

Proving the point of complacency, and thus laziness.  Don't you guys ever have a smack of reality hit you?  No?

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 12:29:39 AM »
for Silvers, who, should feel lucky for Everything they get for 'free' .

This mindset I don't care for.  I don't think you understand how free to play works.  The game company isn't doing because they are being nice.  They want there to be more players online as a benefit to the subscribers.  Also they are doing this as a cheap way to advertise to you.  The game becomes a commercial trying to sell you lockbox keys.  Also most free players spend some money eventually which is why this model works better and is widely adopted. 

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »
LA was saying that PWE might drop CO due to they might worry about their (PWE) rep. I am saying... what rep does PWE have.. and that they both (Cryptic & PWE) seem lucky to have each other at this point..

Well, if players, such as myself, are "often" happy enough to keep playing,.. Then we're happy enough to keep playing. Some people obviously aren't and many of them frequent this forum..

Is CO all it could be? What is..? I want more for CO too but it is what it is and what it is is good enough for me and this is why I play.

Among other things, as a Silver I have a lot of the privileges of a subbed player and have access to one of the finest toon creators I have ever experienced. At this time that's good enough for me and here they went and even improved on what I get for free by eliminating the G cap. So, I'm like... Yipee.

I could go down the list and dispute every single negative comment in this thread but I'm not going to.

Hugs, guys.
"some"? That is quite in understatement, if you were playing this game a year after launch you would have seen the population drop to 25% now it is much lower and whether you want to admit it to yourself it is because pwe/cryptic has done nothing to improve this game.
I am generally happy you like co, and I will not try to make you not like it. However you have to ask your self why are most of the former players unhappy? And why is pwe/cryptic not doing anything to improve co? I know if they really wanted to they could have improve it within 6 months just like they did to sto. They are not and that is my point why should I care about a game that is more or less getting just enough "content" to try and keep players such as yourself playing. The reason being is they know you are content with how the game is so they have no reason to improve it.
The same could be said for every positive post one could argue about.
Yes for now city of is gone, but I truly believe it will be back.   

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 12:50:44 AM »
Hugs, guys.

And now you say the exact thing I hate coming from anyone playing CO, especially since you always indirectly throw that accusation at me every time.  I don't, ever, want to hear any "I'm sorry CoH is gone and I'm sorry about CO" because you and I both know thats just a way of saying "Hahaha, sucks to be you that YOUR game is down and my game is still around".  It's both rude, and condescending.

Especially when I only mentioned CoH, a couple times at most, but not what it did or anything, just whats going on.  But you guys ALWAYS do this, every, single time.  It's sickening, its why we have such low opinions of you guys.  You guys always accuse me of either having nostalgia, OR you accuse me of wanting CO to be CoH, OR you just flat out tell me CO is going to remain and CoH is going to remain shut down even when the chances are high of CoH's return.  I never, however, say for sure CO is going to be shutdown but that it's at RISK that you guys refuse to recognize.

No, I do not think CO's shutdown will cause CoH to return.  If CO shuts down, it'll be whether CoH returns or not, it has no affect on that.

Your game never gets new content that has any length or quality.

Your game continues to throw false deals out there or even insane discounts.

Your game has only a few zones open in MC, less than 5 now.

Your game has a black mark as baiting and switching players of real life money.  And it's even got a thread on it, a few in various places.

Yet why do I still play it?  Cause I enjoy the game itself.

Yet do I think it'll shut down?  Duh, because of whats happening to YOU guys.  YOU guys even have barbaric slander sites aimed at roleplayers pinning as many lies as possible on them.

Your community always rubs salt in any wound it finds in anyone, including the bait and switch, or in some cases, city of heroes.

You guys even have SPIES infiltrate sg's to try and root out anyone who disagrees with the trolls to try and ruin things.

Your community has jerks ask the developers do increadibly stupid balance changes just so the above "Rub salt in the wound" can be done by the trolls.

I, I don't even know if you guys even have the capacity to look at yourselves.  At all.  Or feel how others feel or anything.

IF you made it this far, thats the kind of black mark you guys have on you.  People, hate your guts and they despise what happened to CO.  Because of how many in your community have betrayed and backstabbed one another.  This isn't EVE online for gods sake, where sure, the ingame economy is tied to people spending money on it, but even then everything is earnable IN GAME.  AND THE DEVELOPER GIVES THE INTENTIONAL BUYER BEWARE.  Co's devs don't do that, and tons of things are pay to win what do you expect?

And no, CO is not city of heroes.  City of heroes' developers and community wouldn't let such atrocities happen to it and god damnit we are still fighting to get our game back.  When bad things happened we banded together to deal with it in a proper manner, rather than take the opportunity to grief and damage.

What have you guys done thats remarkable?  Freeform system?  Other games did it better before and after.  Character creation?  Generic faces do not allow for appearance variety.  I mean look at this page.  CO is THREE on it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/featured/top-5-mmos-that-should-have-been-cancelled-a-long-time-ago/

It's, no wonder.  I'm not kidding when I say CO is FUBAR(and if you somehow don't know what that is, Fucked up beyond all recognition).  People cannot say the same of CO that they can say of CoX because CO commited atrocity after atrocity to it's own playerbase, the devs themselves did that.  Even in EVE's case, you have to remember it's the PLAYERS who commit the atrocities, not the developers.

You guys never improve, because you refuse to recognize that your game is FUBAR.  You refuse to recognize there is a potential problem on the horizon, somewhere, that maybe your game is going down infamous, rather than with fame as CoH had.  CoH went down but people miss it, CO when it goes, everyone will be "WEll that was a shithole, who cares?".  CO won't have the backing CoH had, there were multiple studios interested during the talks that are still going on, and proabably still multiple studios interested.  What'll happen to CO?  I wish I knew, I would love to say the same as what happened to CoX but I have no confidence there.

No, all you guys say is "Well we are the ONLY option" every time.  As if your game is litterally the only option.  No, it's not, there are dozens of other games that give a power fantasy, many of which do it properly through the being heroic aspect, and just as many where your "the hero" even if your not really being heroic.  There are dozens of games, other genres besides mmorpgs and other games in the mmorpg market and of course upcoming competition as always.  No, you guys love to live the fantasy of being the only game in existence.  Thats a lie, and you know that.

Do I think what they are doing is a good idea with this one change?  Perhaps it is but it's a late idea.  Came way to late.

And understand lastly, I am not taking a shot at you for liking CO, I'm glad your happy.  But seriously get out of the house and learn how people react to the things you say.

Yes, City of heroes is gone, in jail, but I believe it will be back myself.  Just as Angel Phoenix does.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 12:52:31 AM »
WE GET that you like CO, that isn't the point.  It's how you treat others including those who enjoy other games.  If you didn't get that in the last post, for gods sake I hope you get it here.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
This mindset I don't care for.  I don't think you understand how free to play works.  The game company isn't doing because they are being nice.  They want there to be more players online as a benefit to the subscribers.  Also they are doing this as a cheap way to advertise to you.  The game becomes a commercial trying to sell you lockbox keys.  Also most free players spend some money eventually which is why this model works better and is widely adopted.

I like your thinking and I am glad you explained that.  I only wish 90% of the CO community would realize that.  They are doing it to make money, thats really what it boils down to.

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:50 AM »
And now you say the exact thing I hate coming from anyone playing CO, especially since you always indirectly throw that accusation at me every time.  I don't, ever, want to hear any "I'm sorry CoH is gone and I'm sorry about CO" because you and I both know thats just a way of saying "Hahaha, sucks to be you that YOUR game is down and my game is still around".  It's both rude, and condescending.

Especially when I only mentioned CoH, a couple times at most, but not what it did or anything, just whats going on.  But you guys ALWAYS do this, every, single time.  It's sickening, its why we have such low opinions of you guys.  You guys always accuse me of either having nostalgia, OR you accuse me of wanting CO to be CoH, OR you just flat out tell me CO is going to remain and CoH is going to remain shut down even when the chances are high of CoH's return.  I never, however, say for sure CO is going to be shutdown but that it's at RISK that you guys refuse to recognize.

No, I do not think CO's shutdown will cause CoH to return.  If CO shuts down, it'll be whether CoH returns or not, it has no affect on that.

Your game never gets new content that has any length or quality.

Your game continues to throw false deals out there or even insane discounts.

Your game has only a few zones open in MC, less than 5 now.

Your game has a black mark as baiting and switching players of real life money.  And it's even got a thread on it, a few in various places.

Yet why do I still play it?  Cause I enjoy the game itself.

Yet do I think it'll shut down?  Duh, because of whats happening to YOU guys.  YOU guys even have barbaric slander sites aimed at roleplayers pinning as many lies as possible on them.

Your community always rubs salt in any wound it finds in anyone, including the bait and switch, or in some cases, city of heroes.

You guys even have SPIES infiltrate sg's to try and root out anyone who disagrees with the trolls to try and ruin things.

Your community has jerks ask the developers do increadibly stupid balance changes just so the above "Rub salt in the wound" can be done by the trolls.

I, I don't even know if you guys even have the capacity to look at yourselves.  At all.  Or feel how others feel or anything.

IF you made it this far, thats the kind of black mark you guys have on you.  People, hate your guts and they despise what happened to CO.  Because of how many in your community have betrayed and backstabbed one another.  This isn't EVE online for gods sake, where sure, the ingame economy is tied to people spending money on it, but even then everything is earnable IN GAME.  AND THE DEVELOPER GIVES THE INTENTIONAL BUYER BEWARE.  Co's devs don't do that, and tons of things are pay to win what do you expect?

And no, CO is not city of heroes.  City of heroes' developers and community wouldn't let such atrocities happen to it and god damnit we are still fighting to get our game back.  When bad things happened we banded together to deal with it in a proper manner, rather than take the opportunity to grief and damage.

What have you guys done thats remarkable?  Freeform system?  Other games did it better before and after.  Character creation?  Generic faces do not allow for appearance variety.  I mean look at this page.  CO is THREE on it.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/featured/top-5-mmos-that-should-have-been-cancelled-a-long-time-ago/

It's, no wonder.  I'm not kidding when I say CO is FUBAR(and if you somehow don't know what that is, pancaked up beyond all recognition).  People cannot say the same of CO that they can say of CoX because CO commited atrocity after atrocity to it's own playerbase, the devs themselves did that.  Even in EVE's case, you have to remember it's the PLAYERS who commit the atrocities, not the developers.

You guys never improve, because you refuse to recognize that your game is FUBAR.  You refuse to recognize there is a potential problem on the horizon, somewhere, that maybe your game is going down infamous, rather than with fame as CoH had.  CoH went down but people miss it, CO when it goes, everyone will be "WEll that was a shithole, who cares?".  CO won't have the backing CoH had, there were multiple studios interested during the talks that are still going on, and proabably still multiple studios interested.  What'll happen to CO?  I wish I knew, I would love to say the same as what happened to CoX but I have no confidence there.

No, all you guys say is "Well we are the ONLY option" every time.  As if your game is litterally the only option.  No, it's not, there are dozens of other games that give a power fantasy, many of which do it properly through the being heroic aspect, and just as many where your "the hero" even if your not really being heroic.  There are dozens of games, other genres besides mmorpgs and other games in the mmorpg market and of course upcoming competition as always.  No, you guys love to live the fantasy of being the only game in existence.  Thats a lie, and you know that.

Do I think what they are doing is a good idea with this one change?  Perhaps it is but it's a late idea.  Came way to late.

And understand lastly, I am not taking a shot at you for liking CO, I'm glad your happy.  But seriously get out of the house and learn how people react to the things you say.

Yes, City of heroes is gone, in jail, but I believe it will be back myself.  Just as Angel Phoenix does.

I'm sorry, I don't usually post here but i just HAVE to comment on this. While I'm not siding with the CO crowd with this statement, I feel it has to be said in their defense. This is why we as a CoH community can come off as hostile, pompous, and stubborn at times. All you seem to be doing in this statement is stating how much better CoH was than CO, and how they, as players, are blind/peppy due to them staying with it for so long. Again, this is all in my opinion, but I    definitely    don't feel like your portraying our community in the best of light
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 02:13:12 AM »
I'm sorry, I don't usually post here but i just HAVE to comment on this. While I'm not siding with the CO crowd with this statement, I feel it has to be said in their defense. This is why we as a CoH community can come off as hostile, pompous, and stubborn at times. All you seem to be doing in this statement is stating how much better CoH was than CO, and how they, as players, are blind/peppy due to them staying with it for so long. Again, this is all in my opinion, but I    definitely    don't feel like your portraying our community in the best of light

Wasn't pointing out how much better city of heroes was, so much as I was pointing out what the communities DID.  CO players do everything they can to slander and attack other communities at times, it's been done countless times.  You didn't read the part where I said it was the CoH players who wouldn't let atrocities happen, not CoH itself.  But CO players have done so much to hurt themselves and their own game.  Was CoH comprised entirely of angels?  No, but when you look at what the two player bases did, CO's community had proven time and again how toxic it was to others.  From a poor choice of words or an outright chastising attack on others to slandering each other and then blaming the victims of the vehicles rip off the devs themselves did.  Or even just deliberately misleading the developers into making bad changes so they can revictimize the victims of said vehicle rip off and rub salt in the wound.

It's toxic.  It's what the PLAYERS did, not the games themselves.

Edit: And I am GLAD your not liking it, because if you did I'd be mighty worried.

And No it isn't that you kept with your game so long but again, what you guys have DONE to everyone else and yourselves.

Late Edit: And it's a criticism of what you guys had been doing to yourselves and others.  Maybe you should be asking yourselves how you can, I don't know, show yourselves as a nicer community?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:31:10 AM by LaughingAlex »

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 02:33:22 AM »
Wasn't pointing out how much better city of heroes was, so much as I was pointing out what the communities DID.  CO players do everything they can to slander and attack other communities at times, it's been done countless times.  You didn't read the part where I said it was the CoH players who wouldn't let atrocities happen, not CoH itself.  But CO players have done so much to hurt themselves and their own game.  Was CoH comprised entirely of angels?  No, but when you look at what the two player bases did, CO's community had proven time and again how toxic it was to others.  From a poor choice of words or an outright chastising attack on others to slandering each other and then blaming the victims of the vehicles rip off the devs themselves did.  Or even just deliberately misleading the developers into making bad changes so they can revictimize the victims of said vehicle rip off and rub salt in the wound.

It's toxic.  It's what the PLAYERS did, not the games themselves.

Edit: And I am GLAD your not liking it, because if you did I'd be mighty worried.

And No it isn't that you kept with your game so long but again, what you guys have DONE to everyone else and yourselves.
I actually only played CO after CoH shut down(Started in I6) and from my time there, I saw what you are talking about, however, I also witnessed our own(CoH) antagonize players and instigate arguments on the CO forums(Primarily in the last few months before the shutdown).
50's: Necro/Dark, Fire x3 Dom, Plant/Savage Dom, Ice/Time Blaster, Arch/TA Blaster, SS/Elec Brute, Rad/Rad Def.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »
Dang, Soul... Thanks. I just caught up with this thread and was thinking what in the world am I still doing here until you posted.

I was a CoH player too, ya know. That's why I started posting here in the first place. I started out in the Other Games forum where some really helpful people got me on some Abandonware games that I hadn't played since they were new which helped me fill the void that CoH left. Then I got on CO and liked it a lot and now I post here.

I was one of the first players on the Liberty server. I left to play other stuff, and when I came back it was my return to gaming after losing complete interest in what was a long history of gaming and losing my gaming partner who also happened to be my wife and the best gamer I ever met. It was a fluke that I came back (long story) and I was happily shocked that I got sucked back into gaming. I never played CoH without a sub and when it went down, which I had said couldn't happen just weeks before the announcement, I was shocked and felt the loss about as much as anyone.

Life goes on. You have to find something in it that makes you happy, or be unhappy. So when I say I'm sorry you're unhappy I'm sorry you're unhappy. I'm sorry you lost CoH, I'm sorry *I* lost CoH.

Soul is dead on with the comment about threads like this making the CoH community look bad. I have just as much right to claim being part of that community as anyone else but I won't join the CoH channel, for example, due to situations just like this. It can be hard enough in life to he happy without full time trying to convince other people they should try and do the same.

I come here to talk about a game I like to play. I don't come here to waste my time that I have for pleasure on hate.

Anyway, thanks Soul. And believe it or not I'm sorry you unhappy people are unhappy and wish you luck finding something that makes you happy. I;m not going to pretend that I don't think it's crap I get trolled here a lot but, whatever. I'm not gonna go there. When the day comes that the only reason this forum exists is to complain I'll move on. I have learned that this is what you have to do when encountering loss. Move.. on.. And try to find joy elsewhere, yo.

Some Faves:

Soul Resonance

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 02:43:50 AM »
Dang, Soul... Thanks. I just caught up with this thread and was thinking what in the world am I still doing here until you posted.

I was a CoH player too, ya know. That's why I started posting here in the first place. I started out in the Other Games forum where some really helpful people got me on some Abandonware games that I hadn't played since they were new which helped me fill the void that CoH left. Then I got on CO and liked it a lot and now I post here.

I was one of the first players on the Liberty server. I left to play other stuff, and when I came back it was my return to gaming after losing complete interest in what was a long history of gaming and losing my gaming partner who also happened to be my wife and the best gamer I ever met. It was a fluke that I came back (long story) and I was happily shocked that I got sucked back into gaming. I never played CoH without a sub and when it went down, which I had said couldn't happen just weeks before the announcement, I was shocked and felt the loss about as much as anyone.

Life goes on. You have to find something in it that makes you happy, or be unhappy. So when I say I'm sorry you're unhappy I'm sorry you're unhappy. I'm sorry you lost CoH, I'm sorry *I* lost CoH.

Soul is dead on with the comment about threads like this making the CoH community look bad. I have just as much right to claim being part of that community as anyone else but I won't join the CoH channel, for example, due to situations just like this. It can be hard enough in life to he happy without full time trying to convince other people they should try and do the same.

I come here to talk about a game I like to play. I don't come here to waste my time that I have for pleasure on hate.

Anyway, thanks Soul. And believe it or not I'm sorry you unhappy people are unhappy and wish you luck finding something that makes you happy. I;m not going to pretend that I don't think it's crap I get trolled here a lot but, whatever. I'm not gonna go there. When the day comes that the only reason this forum exists is to complain I'll move on. I have learned that this is what you have to do when encountering loss. Move.. on.. And try to find joy elsewhere, yo.
No Problem, however, i do still feel that CoH will most definitely return but, i also feel that the best for our community to do in anticipation of this is to not soil any relations with those who have made a home elsewhere( especially in place where many feel "Sucks" compared to CoH). i, for one, liked my time in CO, and will come back to it (currently playing WoW...kinda :P) when CoH returns along with playing CoH. (Might LT CO...depends on time/circumstances of CoH's return, but definitely willing to make the investment :) )

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 02:45:22 AM »
I actually only played CO after CoH shut down(Started in I6) and from my time there, I saw what you are talking about, however, I also witnessed our own(CoH) antagonize players and instigate arguments on the CO forums(Primarily in the last few months before the shutdown).

Yes, and anytime one of us CoH players suggests an idea they shoot it down in outright biggotry in the forums.  The immedietly call us nostalgia driven old farts.  And have you seen what happened a few months ago?  When the plasma beam weapon for vehicles became completely USELESS?  Players in the CO community deliberately rubbed the salt in the wounds of countless of players who were having fun with vehicles before, some people even went as far as to delete their accounts and stopped playing outright.

Ever since those few bad apples of ours made us look bad the CO community has treated us like pariahs whenever we did try to help with any ideas.  You really, REALLY had not paid attention these last 3-4 months.  Then of course SPIES INFILTRATED MY SG AND SLANDERED THE SHIT OUT OF US.  And course you have a group dedicated to slandering anyone who roleplays.

A good number of the horrible acts recently were of CO players on other CO players.  You guys have been stomaching out of control trolls who've done far worst than anything I ever "did" in your eyes.  All I did was criticise you guys for being prejudgemental jerks on CoH players after the stupid acts of Golden Girl.  But then you CO players have taken it so much farther than anything she could ever do.

Was Golden Girl an asshole?  YEah, I agree there, but to assume every, single CoH player is an asshole and then speak to us that way repeatedly.  It's all I got from many CO players in the forums.  I was left depressed over that kind of treatment.  All I ever wanted was to give some suggestions on how to make CO gameplay more diverse and it was shot down by tryhards who have gotten the very game they wanted, which is now far less popular than anything ever made.

You had only paid attention to those early months but you ignored everything the CO players themselves have done.  Especially these last 3-4 months where what they did was the quickest way to get the worst black-mark on this games reputation, and now people view it as a bait and switch.  YOU GUYS did that, not the CoH players.  We'd since moved on or stopped talking in your forums.  We don't say anything for a reason, we know you guys will just troll us instantly.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 02:50:23 AM »

If you hadn't said the line I have come to seriously hate, "CoH is dead CO is not" I would not have said anything.  To me it's insensitive for anyone to say that, especially since I find every single time it's always said as a way of dismissing anything I say no matter what it is, even if I am being constructive or even speaking positively on that now admittedly rare occasion.

If it was 6 months ago, I wouldn't have been quite as hostile, maybe a little, but no where near as much as I am now.

A year ago I wouldn't have said a thing.

A year and a half ago I would have gotten at the bad CoX players who made us look bad.

My sinking opinion is due to the actions of everyone.

Ever since October, the lines been crossed with me.  I don't think i'll ever be able to forgive the CO community anymore for what was done in it in October the day plasma beam was nerfed to uselessness.  Ever.

Edit: Not because of Plasma beam being something I depended on, it wasn't that.  But because people had spent a LOT of money on vehicles and then felt it completely invalidated.  And then the assholes took advantage of them and rubbed it in when REAL MONEY WAS LOST.  IT showed me the CO community has no lines drawn, and that the majority are villains, crooks and assholes.  I originally thought the majority weren't so low like that.  But that day proved that to me.

And my feelings towards the CO community hasn't healed since.  Nore will it.

Justify it all you guys want but that was both very unforgivable, shameful, disgusting and disturbing.  It sent a clear message to everyone and me what this game was standing for.

Why do I think this change is a good idea?  Because it ensures trading isn't tied to cosmic keys so much anymore, so I hope it'll reduce the chance of that shit happening all over again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:59:44 AM by LaughingAlex »

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 02:54:24 AM »
Soul, when CoH comes back I'll be one of the first to come back to it. Even when the moaning and wailing was at it's peak *before* the shutdown (we were still playing CoH but knew the end was near) I always said I thought it would be back. Why wouldn't it be? It's a great game with a huge following.

I can't imagine that it can be kept down forever. It's sad that it's becoming dated in it's downtime and kinda tragic that all that awesome development came to a halt but maybe we get another great development team when it comes back up.

Seriously, CoH was on FIRE before it got shutdown. That's why I couldn't imagine that it would happen when the rumor came up before the announcement was made.

And another OP goes off into outer space.... hehe

hugs ya'all
Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 02:59:44 AM »
Anyways, the cap increase is a great addition, and I'm still quite excited about 2015.
Spess

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 03:05:17 AM »
Soul, when CoH comes back I'll be one of the first to come back to it. Even when the moaning and wailing was at it's peak *before* the shutdown (we were still playing CoH but knew the end was near) I always said I thought it would be back. Why wouldn't it be? It's a great game with a huge following.

I can't imagine that it can be kept down forever. It's sad that it's becoming dated in it's downtime and kinda tragic that all that awesome development came to a halt but maybe we get another great development team when it comes back up.

Seriously, CoH was on FIRE before it got shutdown. That's why I couldn't imagine that it would happen when the rumor came up before the announcement was made.

And another OP goes off into outer space.... hehe

hugs ya'all

I'm sorry for my explosion.  As said in the last post, it's hard/impossible to be nice to CO players anymore at times.  I also admit, I can't even tell who to trust anymore due to the last couple months and what happened with my supergroup, and of seeing my friends being slandered by the trolls so directly in the worst ways.  IT's like, everything since october changed for me in CO.  I was skeptical and worried before but, ugh, to hear of the spies infiltrating an sg just to slander it or how roleplaying is now subject to slander and trolling in CO.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 03:22:52 AM »
I'm sorry for my explosion.  As said in the last post, it's hard/impossible to be nice to CO players anymore at times.  I also admit, I can't even tell who to trust anymore due to the last couple months and what happened with my supergroup, and of seeing my friends being slandered by the trolls so directly in the worst ways.  IT's like, everything since october changed for me in CO.  I was skeptical and worried before but, ugh, to hear of the spies infiltrating an sg just to slander it or how roleplaying is now subject to slander and trolling in CO.
to join alex in the apology. On the co boards all I wanted was to try and get co to where it should be, and what I get for my efforts was called a troll and I should sit down and shutup also lied about something I have never said. This is why I do not bother posting on the co boards anymore.
 Xev and Brou I have nothing against you two nor some of the co community, I do have against some of the co community is they think only their opinions matter.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 03:34:35 AM »
to join alex in the apology. On the co boards all I wanted was to try and get co to where it should be, and what I get for my efforts was called a troll and I should sit down and shutup also lied about something I have never said. This is why I do not bother posting on the co boards anymore.
 Xev and Brou I have nothing against you two nor some of the co community, I do have against some of the co community is they think only their opinions matter.

I will also say I have nothing against you two, Xev And Brou, either, you two had proven to be among the saner guys of the CO community and I apologize for taking it out on ya.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 04:05:29 AM »
Best wishes, gamers  : ) Best wishes for fun in your gaming.

Didn't mean to imply I'd dump CO for CoH earlier. btw. I'm perfectly capable of playing more than one game at a time.  Maybe not at the same time... but ya know what I mean hehe. When I was a real gamer I always had at least one fallback game for times of burnout and whatnot.

Brou is a lot more plugged in to the game and part of the CO community than me. I'm just a spud who likes to play and come here and blab about it sometimes with other people who like to play.

Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »
Best wishes, gamers  : ) Best wishes for fun in your gaming.

Didn't mean to imply I'd dump CO for CoH earlier. btw. I'm perfectly capable of playing more than one game at a time.  Maybe not at the same time... but ya know what I mean hehe. When I was a real gamer I always had at least one fallback game for times of burnout and whatnot.

Brou is a lot more plugged in to the game and part of the CO community than me. I'm just a spud who likes to play and come here and blab about it sometimes with other people who like to play.

I admit I could still play CO once in a while, even with City of heroes back, and I did while it was still running.

Relitner

• Boss
  • ree-LITE-ner
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »
Anyways, the cap increase is a great addition, and I'm still quite excited about 2015.

Out of curiosity... did I miss an announcement? What's in the works for CO in 2015?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:43:56 PM by Relitner »
in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti amen

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »
Spess