Author Topic: Massively is shutting down feb 3. Where will CoH related news end up?  (Read 4658 times)

kiario

• Boss
  • CoH Fanboy
So in my opinion the best news for mmo's Massively is shutting down on Tuesday.
Where will news about mmo's and of course City of heroes be routed?

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
Re: Massively is shutting down feb 3. Where will CoH related news end up?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
Wow... There's a sign of the freemium and handheld gaming times.

Edit: They're using the death of statesman art for the news announcement. Now I'm really sad.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 09:30:19 PM »
i have no idea, but this is very disappointing for me. Massively was the only MMO gaming site i read regularly. The rumors had been circulating for over a week, but to finally see it confirmed on Friday sucked.  :o >:(
The staff are looking into reviving Joystiq/Massively et al as a crowdfunded site and if they do i will almost certainly be contributing.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Surelle

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:33:32 PM »
They're linking to their Twitter https://twitter.com/massively at the top of their home page banner and wildly hinting that they're Going Rogue soon, yes very soon....  8)   

The whole team likely as not will wind up on a new MMO News Site that will be independent of corporate overlords....

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:36:05 PM »
The wording of this article certainly sounds familiar:
I would like to be able to tell you truthfully that this is an equitable and just decision that makes some sort of logical sense, but the reality is that our overlords' decisions have always been unfathomable. I know more of what I know about corporate from reading tech and finance news than through my own job. We all suspected this was coming eventually a year ago when a VP whose name I don't even know and who never read our site chose to reward our staggering, hard-won 40% year-over-year page view growth by... hacking our budget in half. There's nothing to do in the face of that kind of logic but throw your hands in the air. It's not about merit or lack thereof, and it's not about journalism or gaming being dead or anything grand like that, so there's no point in taking it personally.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/01/30/massively-that-was/

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:43:43 AM »

IGN on has already done one story about COH possibly coming back. I am hoping as soon as more news comes out they will cover it also.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 03:17:02 AM »
We certainly had supporters at Massively and if any of them follow the conversations on Titan: 

THANK YOU.

We can never say that enough to the people who supported us when we needed it.  I hope they all land in new jobs and places doing what they love.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 04:54:33 AM »
Let's keep it to one thread:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10598.0.html

(since it doesn't have anything to do with TFHM, we'll use the general discussion thread)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal