Author Topic: [UPDATED] Just got back from Kingsman: The Secret Service  (Read 4987 times)

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
[UPDATED] Just got back from Kingsman: The Secret Service
« on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:48 AM »
Just got back from an advance screening of ‪Kingsman‬: The Secret Service.

Found it funny and subversive as hell.

Not a film for everyone. Some are labeling some of the humor (especially at the end) "laddish" or "juvenile" and getting PROFESSIONALLY offended. That was kinda the point of the humor in the first place.

This an affectionate James Bond/Jason Bourne send up where the protagonist is a chav.

The training sequence kinda drags a bit, but the film would be gutted without it.

Colin Firth just absolutely STEALS the film though. Staid, proper, gentlemanly and will absolutely, positively kill you and everyone else in the room with you while barely breaking a sweat!

The Church scene in this film absolutely has to be SEEN to be believed.

Samuel L. Jackson is a very...quirky...villain (he can't thtand violence). And his right-hand man is a "handi-capable" killer with swords in her feet.

Oh, and EVERYONE'S mission? Save the world!

If you don't mind a bit of "laddish" humor, go see the film. It definitely deserves to be seen.

And now I'll leave you with three words and this reminder of what I said about the humor earlier.

Swedish Princess Ending

Boss just turned me on to an early screening this coming Tuesday at 7PM

The location is Hollywood Blvd in Downers Grove.   http://atriptothemovies.com

The  site that's giving away the screening passes is:  http://gofobo.com

Create an account.  Then, when it asks for a code: BLVDKING.  You can choose one or two tickets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkX8jKeKUEA

I'll be there wearing a CoH shirt in case anyone else wants to go.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:23:19 AM by Hyperstrike »

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Free passes for an early screening of Kingsman.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:55:33 AM »
Apparently that Cinema does RHPS. I am suuuuuuper jealous!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:36:19 PM »
Still an RHPS late night virgin here.

If I ever go, I'll probably cosplay Eddie.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »
I got my "audience participation" RHPS cherry popped last year (I've seen it many times but never at a singalong theater), it was fantastic. No one dressed up as anyone (other than the singalong cast dressing as their character, obvs) but everyone dressed up trashy-skanky. It was so much fun.

I buttered two dudes for my virgin exhibition. /no context
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 03:57:54 AM »
Still an RHPS late night virgin here.

If I ever go, I'll probably cosplay Eddie.

You must go.  Don't even cosplay, just GO.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
Re: Just got back from Kingsman: The Secret Service
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 04:22:57 AM »
Chekov's gun never fired so many rounds!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
Re: [UPDATED] Just got back from Kingsman: The Secret Service
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 03:55:10 AM »
Brilliant. Left wanting more. The audience cheered. Stay for the early end credits.

Swedish princess ... Ending ... Ha! Priceless. The audience got the biggest kick out of that.

Thank God no romantic subplot.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
...Eh.

Truthfully, it was a little too campy/predictable for me. I thought there was going to be a SLIGHT more serious-tone to it (not OVERTLY serious, as I like the exciting action parts of it) - but I do strongly think there was a certain degree of pathos missing that could have seriously made me far more emotionally invested in the characters/plot than I was. The fight scenes were great, and I do absolutely agree that there were a couple thrilling/exciting moments and some really well done combat sequences - but I think if they spent more time focusing on certain alternative aspects/elements of the film as opposed to others (not trying to give any spoilers here) then I would have found myself 'caring' a little more. Also, the script/dialogue? Mediocre.

Still, though - for what it was? Fun, albeit a tad ridiculous/unrealistic at times. And I KNOW it's not supposed to be super believable, as it is an action movie...but some of the fight scenes were in the vein of "Alright, I know he's a trained spy or whatever, but how in the HELL did he not get shot there."

I give it a B. (omg, can you believe how super judgmental and critical I am? Yikes, I'm scaring myself even)
Viva la Virtue!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »
...Eh.

Truthfully, it was a little too campy/predictable for me. I thought there was going to be a SLIGHT more serious-tone to it (not OVERTLY serious, as I like the exciting action parts of it) - but I do strongly think there was a certain degree of pathos missing that could have seriously made me far more emotionally invested in the characters/plot than I was. The fight scenes were great, and I do absolutely agree that there were a couple thrilling/exciting moments and some really well done combat sequences - but I think if they spent more time focusing on certain alternative aspects/elements of the film as opposed to others (not trying to give any spoilers here) then I would have found myself 'caring' a little more. Also, the script/dialogue? Mediocre.

Still, though - for what it was? Fun, albeit a tad ridiculous/unrealistic at times. And I KNOW it's not supposed to be super believable, as it is an action movie...but some of the fight scenes were in the vein of "Alright, I know he's a trained spy or whatever, but how in the HELL did he not get shot there."

I give it a B. (omg, can you believe how super judgmental and critical I am? Yikes, I'm scaring myself even)

Sigh.

"This isn't that kind of movie."
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
Sigh.

"This isn't that kind of movie."

...And I would have liked it more if it was. Just my opinion on it. :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:15:53 PM by Ultimate15 »
Viva la Virtue!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »
...And I would have liked it more if it was. Just my opinion on it. :)

But you are getting whats on the tin.  It's Wanted with spies instead of assassins or X-Men: First Class with spies instead of mutants.  Ultra glitzy action sequences with a recognizable cast with origin stories for it's newest recruits.  It's not a spoof like Get Smart nor is it as ultra realistic as the last few Bond films but it's not suppose to be.

If you were expecting that did you think Men in Black was going to be like a serious episode of the X Files?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
But you are getting whats on the tin.  It's Wanted with spies instead of assassins or X-Men: First Class with spies instead of mutants.  Ultra glitzy action sequences with a recognizable cast with origin stories for it's newest recruits.  It's not a spoof like Get Smart nor is it as ultra realistic as the last few Bond films but it's not suppose to be.

If you were expecting that did you think Men in Black was going to be like a serious episode of the X Files?

I didn't have an intricate or set-in-stone type of idea as to what kind of movie it was or wasn't going to be when I walked into the theater, outside of the basic/obvious assumptions - some great combat/fight sequences (that much you can gather from the trailers alone), good acting presumably (I like me some Colin Firth and Samuel L. Jackson), a plot where the stakes are high and the pressure is on, sprinkle in some comedy/romance, and poof - a good action movie to keep me busy on a cold afternoon. And it hit on all of those marks. Also, cute boy. That was a plus.

It just didn't fully deliver in the other areas that I would have liked it to, those areas being described in my original post. And I disagree with your description of Wanted with spies, or X-Men: First Class with spies - I thought Kingsmen took a far more humoristic/faux approach to that type of cinema than other titles of the same genre. And I think that definitely hit a home run with some people - I just wasn't one of them. That's all! :)

My opinion was not based at all over what the movie was or wasn't supposed to be. It was just how I felt after watching it.
Viva la Virtue!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 05:28:26 AM »
Well the Ester Williams like number, I will admit, was a tad over the top.  But it was a fun film.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Starhammer

• Underling
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 06:17:46 AM »
Loved it.

That scene was one of the most glorious orgies of violence I have ever seen, and yet so tragic in how it was forced to happen. Amazing all the way around.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 05:27:34 PM »
FINALLY got to see this movie. I saw it at the last showing slot at the nearest theater within reasonable driving distance (down in Alamogordo - 50 minute drive from where I live in Ruidoso). As of tomorrow it's no longer showing anywhere near my area.

GLAD I saw it on the big screen. Hell of a movie!

Fair warning though - INCREDIBLY violent! It more than earned it's "R" rating, completely outside of the... ahem... Swedish Princess ending. (Of which no more will or needs to be said. Yow.)

Also agreed that it's an incredibly SUBVERSIVE film! And equal opportunity subversion all around is to be had in the end. Imagine if the creators of Southpark had made a James Bond film with as much seriousness and loving attention to detail as they could get, while at the same time pole-axing sacred oxen of all stripes politically and culturally. (Yes - I actually used the words "Southpark" and James Bond" in the same sentence. Even I'm struck by the bizarre set of circumstances that has led to that comparison.)

Not only does a Westboro styled hate-church... well... get destroyed by hate in one of the most over-the-top carnage sequences of all time... (Karma anyone?)

But the main villain's motivation is one of the more violent "earth-first" eco-terrorists WET DREAMS.

And during the "Scanners" style denouement, there was ONE PARTICULAR person - only implied - not mentioned, but if you're paying attention, you KNOW who it is, who went "pop" with the rest.

Of course that entire sequence is so cartoonishly over-the-top (in fact I'd liken it bizarrely to Busby Berkeley choreography!) that it's impossible to take it seriously. But still - in THIS particular time with PC correctness at an all-time high?

I can't BELIEVE they actually WENT THERE!!  :o

That took an incredible amount of steel-clad BALLS to make that decision and stick to it. Wow.

Needless to say - I'll NEVER be able to listen to "Pomp and Circumstance" ever again without a sick, twisted grin on my face.  ;D