Author Topic: Finally did it!  (Read 11544 times)

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
Finally did it!
« on: February 01, 2015, 04:49:27 PM »
After hearing about Icon for some time now, I finally took the plunge!  I installed the Tequila downloader, and away I went! 

You can see some of the results in my updated avatar.  This is a recreation of my first, and primary character, which due to the availability of newer costume pieces, turned out better than the original!  So far, I have re-created 4 of my mains, and had an absolute blast doing so.  Also, figuring out the nuances of what is possible once inside the game has been fun too.  I plan to save .costume files for each of my old characters, in preparation for the day when CoH makes its long awaited return.  I will save me a lot of time, and increase the chance that I will get their names in the system before someone else does.

Of course, the downside is the loneliness of the cities.  You can fly from end to end on the largest map, and meet the occasional NPC (who wont talk to you), but that is pretty much it.  I feel like I am the lone survivor of an apocalypse, who is going stir crazy from the silence! 

It was wonderful hearing the queued music for the areas I was exploring, especially the Atlas Park theme.  I missed that more than I can say, but in the end, it is all a huge reminder of how much I want the actual game back.  Of course, I will continue to play with Icon because it is the closest I can get for now, but it only increases my anxiousness over the negotiations with NCSoft to resurrect the game we all love.

It cannot happen soon enough!
What was no more, is now reborn!

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Finally did it!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:00:28 PM »
When I first started using Icon, it made me terribly homesick. But, after a few sessions to get used to it, it got better, to where I was able to create group photos of some of my toons (see results under Multimedia proper) - my first chance to see about 30 of my toons in Atlas Park at the same time. I have one as wallpaper for my laptop. Icon's also a chance to see some zone areas that you may have been too ... distracted ... to enjoy while playing.

Once you get over the initial emotional impact, Icon's great. Thanks again, Codewalker and whoever else helped.

Oh, and, are we there YET?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 07:04:24 PM »
I love Icon, but it does make me powerfully sad at times, to be flying through an empty city, no bad guys to beat up or power effects to display, no friends on chat. . .

Hopefully that will all change soon!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:18:18 PM »
When I am done recreating all of my mains, I will have to try to assemble all of them for a group photo.  Now I just have to decide which of the many photogenic locations would be the best for it.  The Portal Corp sign in Peregrine Island?  The statue of Talos in Talos Island?  Steel Canyon city center?  All good choices, but there are so many more!.

You will know what I decided when I post the picture here.  8)

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:15:21 PM »
So, how does one do the group photos in ICON?

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:55:56 PM »
So, how does one do the group photos in ICON?

I was asked that question when I posted mine. My reply, and photos, are under the Multimedia heading itself. The thread is at http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10053.0.html?PHPSESSID=nd9abg9046m24e9l43q6qgbtv3

(Sorry; if I once knew how to make a word into a link, I've forgotten. :/ )

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 03:05:20 AM »
Here are the first 8 of my former Level 50 characters in a group photo:

On the top row: The Immortal Light (Dark Melee Scrapper), Talak (Illusion Controller), Ragganor (Dark Corrupter), Khazza Doom (Axe Weilding Invulnerable Tank)
On the bottom row: Abraxus (Dark Blaster), Elsbeth Nightwood (Earth Control Dominator), Psy-Blast (Empathy Defender), Ametrine Jolt (Electric Dominator)

I look forward to doing the remaining 16, but that group photo is gonna take some considerable time to put together!

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
I love Icon, but it does make me powerfully sad at times, to be flying through an empty city, no bad guys to beat up or power effects to display, no friends on chat. . .

Hopefully that will all change soon!

It is a bit sad to see the zones so empty - but at least being able to roam around the zones and maps and mission maps helps ease the loss. Better then not having nothing at all. If anything it makes me appreciate the work that went into these zones as I am noticing a lot of little details and such I never have before.

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »
First off, I thought I'd mention that the title of the thread tricked me. I was glancing at it, saw "Finally Did It!" and started dancing, until I realized it was not regarding the deal. Led to a little bit of sadness :(

But in other news, I recently started using Icon, and the sentiment has been very much the same: bittersweet. I was able to go into The Hollows, but as I went through my favorite spots it seemed so... well... hollow. I wanted to be fighting and teaming. The first couple times I tried it, I had to stop because I got so sad. Now, I get sad, but I also just enjoy the experience.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 03:37:20 AM »
First off, I thought I'd mention that the title of the thread tricked me. I was glancing at it, saw "Finally Did It!" and started dancing, until I realized it was not regarding the deal.
Why would a post about accomplishing the deal be in the Icon subforum?  ???
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Safehouse

• Elite Boss
  • Sometimes it's harder to let go than to hold on.
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
Why would a post about accomplishing the deal be in the Icon subforum?  ???

At first glance, I didn't see where it was located. I just saw "finally did it," and had a gut reaction. After some thought, I realized two things: one, that it would not be in Icon; two, that it would have hundreds of pages within a few hours of going up.

Or at least a lot of pages, haha.
Name: Safehouse     Origin: Magic
Powers: Energy Blast/Electricity Manipulation/Flame Mastery/Teleportation
Security Level: 50+
Last Seen: Wandering the empty streets of the evacuated Paragon City.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »
First off, I thought I'd mention that the title of the thread tricked me. I was glancing at it, saw "Finally Did It!" and started dancing, until I realized it was not regarding the deal. Led to a little bit of sadness :(

Sorry about that.  Whenever I post something optimistic, or jubilant, I take great pains to make sure that it is in the right thread to avoid confusion.  At least to the extent possible. 

I was just so happy to get Icon working and be able to move around in my beloved world again, albeit a quiet, and lonely one, I just had to share it with like minded folks.  To be able to rebuild the characters that I spent SO much time with over the 8 years they were available to me was fantastic.  I did not know how much I missed them!  Of course, now that I have almost done everything possible within the confines of what Icon allows, I yearn even more for the opportunity to find a bad guy, and knock him halfway across the zone! 

All the other games that I have played since CoH went offline have been attempts to fill the void left behind by it.  They have been unsuccessful.  They are prettier in the graphic sense, but there are things about CoH that the rest of the industry did not incorporate into other games before, and has failed to do since.  These things made it fun in a very unique way, and I think I have accepted now that the only substitute for CoH, is CoH Reborn! 

So, the day it returns could not happen soon enough for me. In the meantime, Icon fans the flames of remembrance, and hope for the future.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 02:27:02 PM »
welcome aboard Anderu! Although it is lonely at times, I agree, I'm still glad just to be able to access the costume creator.  Especially the maps too and being able to fly around them again.  Soon we'll have our real city back, but for now this will do until that time comes. 

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 12:50:11 AM »
I hope you are right, and sooner than later!

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Anderu how did you managd to get all your characters in one photo? ???

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 12:45:56 AM »

The procedure laid out in the above posts is what I used, and while time consuming, it was pretty fun!  The hardest thing was waiting for the quick moments when the characters were not shifting their pose.  I imagine the more you have on screen simultaneously, the harder that gets unless you script their movements to be synchronized.  I heard that was possible, but I did not have the patience to get into it.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2015, 03:28:27 AM »
Did you know that you can actually name the spawned NPC's?
I don't know how to target all of them so that the names would show up.
Anyway, its /spawn_npc rikti_bomb "Big Orange Guy"
Then target it and do /load_costume Big_Orange_guy
I'm guessing at the costume file name, but you get the idea.

But it look like this:

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 07:39:32 AM »

When I posted mine, I was asked about how to do it. My tips are the fifth post at http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,10053.0.html?PHPSESSID=nd9abg9046m24e9l43q6qgbtv3.