Author Topic: Suggestions for major dev alterations if CoH relaunches  (Read 54046 times)

Brighellac

• Minion
Suggestions for major dev alterations if CoH relaunches
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
As we wait for hopefully good news from the CoH rebirth negotiating team, let's brainstorm on minor alterations to administrative issues that would make the game more fun.

1) implement categorization of AE missions into farm and story - many people have complained about not being able to find fun RP stories due to all the farms and farmers get irritated by missions they deem a waste of their time xp-wise

2) not feeling particularly creative

Any thoughts by you guys?  Remember minor admin issues, not gameplay changes
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 10:10:49 PM by Codewalker »

duane

• Elite Boss
Re: Suggestions for minor dev alterations if CoH relaunches
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
Hello!  I don't know if that is new functionality or not.  Unfortunately if it is and COH did come back there will be no updates to the game. However someday coh 2.0 in whatever form that looks like....

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »
1) implement categorization of AE missions into farm and story - many people have complained about not being able to find fun RP stories due to all the farms and farmers get irritated by missions they deem a waste of their time xp-wise

That would involve code changes to the game, so will be impossible.

Best they could manage would be to un-publish the farm maps periodically, which will honk off players no end.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
I think I've said it before, but its probably worth saying again; Pet customisation. Seriously. Twould indeed be awesome.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:05 PM »
You need to be talking to Irish Girl:

http://apr.pc-logix.com/

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
I think I've said it before, but its probably worth saying again; Pet customisation. Seriously. Twould indeed be awesome.

I also wanted mastermind powersets based on in-game factions.  I always wanted to command my own Freakshows and eventually level up to having my own Tanksmasher to command. There was always reasons x,y and z, along with custom appearing or custom power pets, but it was something I still liked the idea of.

microc

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 12:24:52 AM »
if the game came back the easy ae fix would to have a wiki page or a little text program that would list all the ae mish by name and then have a small column to tell players what type of mish it is. even if there 3000 mish in ae right now or more. it might take a person a week or two to make a pdf list of all the mish and then post in on the web.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 12:53:22 AM »
Tag missions by filters such as: story, comedy and farm so you can search by tags.

Or if you don't like farms or whatever send a tell to the mission author requesting them to put the word farm at the beginning of the mission title.

Surelle

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 06:23:51 PM »
The problem with a thread like this is that due to A.) hardly anyone understanding what will involve code changes and what won't and B.) people just ignoring the point of the thread and going on about whatever they always wanted regardless, it will devolve into an impossible wish list in no time.   :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
The problem with a thread like this is that due to A.) hardly anyone understanding what will involve code changes and what won't and B.) people just ignoring the point of the thread and going on about whatever they always wanted regardless, it will devolve into an impossible wish list in no time.   :)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

True, but this thread is more for novelty and wishful thinking rather than for expressing what we actually expect to happen.
I for one would be entirely happy with CoH back completely unaltered, although there are some things that could do with changing :)
Also impossible lists are fuuuuunnnnn :P

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »
True, but this thread is more for novelty and wishful thinking rather than for expressing what we actually expect to happen.
I for one would be entirely happy with CoH back completely unaltered, although there are some things that could do with changing :)
Also impossible lists are fuuuuunnnnn :P

Now I take this and make it absolutely unnattainable:

Moon base!

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »

Moon base!

Ironically probably easier to do than half the other changes in the thread.  Its not beyond the realm of possibility that someone with enough time and technical knowledge could create a moonbase map that could be patched into the client to replace another less important map in the game.  Its a ton of work but doesn't require source code level modifications.  Mastermind pet customization on the other hand would require less work, but that work would have to alter the way the game engine actually works which is to the best of anyone's knowledge going to be beyond the capability of the buyout team.

That's not to say we're getting a moonbase.  Just making a distinction between the time consuming and the inaccessible.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:53 PM »

Moon base!

And I dear sir reply!

Pet Moon base with in depth customization! :P

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
And I dear sir reply!

Pet Moon base with in depth customization! :P

A moon base....

....that looks like M.C. Escher made it.  haha.  Ok too much

if you're not pushing your luck, you're not trying hard enough

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:47:30 PM by duane »

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 09:48:31 PM »
A moon base....

....that looks like M.C. Escher made it.  haha.  Ok too much

if you're not pushing your luck, you're not trying hard enough

I think an Inception-based MMO would be a great idea, not the least of which because technically speaking all bugs could be features.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 09:52:16 PM »
They were planning on a moon base already, which makes me very very sad.  :gonk:
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 10:01:59 PM »
They were planning on a moon base already, which makes me very very sad.  :gonk:

Yeah... I always wondered what this screenshot was about....

from here: http://www.cityofheroes.ca/news/game_updates/issue_24_overview.html

I don't think the moonbase was going to show until issue 28... I am not sure about the Lore.  Anyways, have a great weekend all!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:09:35 PM by duane »

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »
Rather than unpublishing AE arcs, they should have set them to an inactive status, and allow players to only search for active ones.

Arcs could be set to inactive if not played or altered after a certain period of time.  I'm willing to bet that would clear out at least 90% of the arcs.

I'd also rather they implement a "Like" system rather than the 4-star rating system.   There was so much intentional ratings bombing going on it wasn't funny.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Brighellac

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:27:31 PM »
You got badges for getting good ratings from enough people.  Of course, there was chicanery

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »
Yeah... I always wondered what this screenshot was about....

from here: http://www.cityofheroes.ca/news/game_updates/issue_24_overview.html

I don't think the moonbase was going to show until issue 28... I am not sure about the Lore.  Anyways, have a great weekend all!

I see mother mayhem there but I thought she died at the end of the minds of mayhem trial. Didn't she get forced out of Aurora's mind or something?

edit: oh is that some sort of statue?