Author Topic: Suggestions for major dev alterations if CoH relaunches  (Read 54044 times)

duane

• Elite Boss
Re: Suggestions for minor dev alterations if CoH relaunches
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »
Yeah! I know!  Between the villain masks, Ghost Widow and Mother Mayhem I wish I could know more.

IF there is ever a Loregasm 2015 I wish Matt M and Devs could talk about some of the I24 images that were out there. 

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 08:26:24 PM »
That's from the Issue 24 villain arc. At some point you go up against Praetorian Penny Yin, who has assumed control of the Awakened. In order to further your personal goals, you end up entering her mind through the Awakened's psychic network and destroying what little control she has left, driving her completely crazy and unleashing a new supervillain on the world: Penelope Mayhem.

That bizarre landscape is a representation of Penelope's shattered mind, so there's lots of elements from her Praetorian past floating around. You can see it with I24 Icon by using /loadmap maps/Missions/unique/i24_Unique_Maps/Villain_Arc/Arc_3/IOM_Awakened_Showdown.txt

There aren't any spawn points inside that area (it might just be for the cutscene, I don't remember), and it's kind of hard to find in noclip mode, so you can use the F3 coordinate editor and go to (550, 295, 55).

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:37 PM »
As we wait for hopefully good news from the CoH rebirth negotiating team, let's brainstorm on minor alterations to administrative issues that would make the game more fun.

1) implement categorization of AE missions into farm and story - many people have complained about not being able to find fun RP stories due to all the farms and farmers get irritated by missions they deem a waste of their time xp-wise

2) not feeling particularly creative

Any thoughts by you guys?  Remember minor admin issues, not gameplay changes
This might be a good idea for ARP as some have said as for the image for the server I would say better to ask ARP for it.
As for your number 1, I feel that is a great idea, seeing as though many people spend so much time making their arcs and only get a few play throughs. (This is also for my arcs too, spending weeks to months on an arc and not have more then a few play throughs is something I feel was not worth it. :( ).
For your number 2, I think that would be more of the person making the arcs. What helped me was I took inspiration from other peoples arcs and watching movies and reading comic books.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »
Have separate values for Influence and AE Influence.  Something like 100 AE Influence = 1 non-AE Influence.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:04:37 PM by makjwalton »
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »
That's from the Issue 24 villain arc. At some point you go up against Praetorian Penny Yin, who has assumed control of the Awakened. In order to further your personal goals, you end up entering her mind through the Awakened's psychic network and destroying what little control she has left, driving her completely crazy and unleashing a new supervillain on the world: Penelope Mayhem.

That bizarre landscape is a representation of Penelope's shattered mind, so there's lots of elements from her Praetorian past floating around. You can see it with I24 Icon by using /loadmap maps/Missions/unique/i24_Unique_Maps/Villain_Arc/Arc_3/IOM_Awakened_Showdown.txt

There aren't any spawn points inside that area (it might just be for the cutscene, I don't remember), and it's kind of hard to find in noclip mode, so you can use the F3 coordinate editor and go to (550, 295, 55).

Took me a while to get there, (Typo's are me) very disturbing map!
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2015, 02:14:03 AM »
Oh, yeah, I remember that arc.  I ran it on the test server with my namesake.  He was vastly overpowered for what was meant to be a mid-level arc, but I just wanted to see the story.  I don't remember it well, since it was so long ago, but it was an interesting story.

As I recall, Penny Mayhem was not only "created" in that arc, she considered you her "creator", making her an ally.

Man.  I'm sad again about all the stories that we'll never know the original ending to.  (Sure, we can write our own, but that's not the same thing)

artbunker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2015, 03:22:25 AM »
Slight minor alteration. have all vet rewards opened . Also with some power that were with vet rewards have a choice to select them at games star. Have all Vet reward items opened up right away.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2015, 09:26:14 PM »
Impossible lists are fun! :D

I like the idea behind this thread. We've heard a lot of "Reverse i13 PvP changes!" "make these other huge changes!".
I'm personally interested in hearing some of this...and of course some of it I might take over to Revival. -cough-

"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 12:23:02 AM »

And lore too!  If I can add again to the Impossible List:

Arachnos Lore and costume Update like they did with COT....

1.) Something with the Red Widow - she gets out from under Lord Arachnos's control to depose him or finds out she can't be killed again or

2.) ...with Statesman 6 feet under the cosmic balance is off and Lord Arachnos starts getting souped up on Well Water.  Can't have good defeated and expect the evil counterpart to just sit around.

3.) .... Marshall Blitz too.  I loved the two monthly series/arcs they made before shut down.  He ended up cancer free & I would have liked more stories with him becoming a bigger pain to Arachnos

4.) Ghost Widow/ Nocturnal Widows.... anything with her! 

As always, thanks for giving me a place to ramble about the world's greatest super-hero game.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »

And also a proud continuation of the Suggestions and Ideas section of the original game forums.  I remember one poster suggesting allowing characters to have six arms.  Just matter-of-factly, in the same way someone would suggest having more strappy shoe styles.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2015, 02:57:41 AM »
Maybe they heard your Human Centipede comment to Posi all wrong :P

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 03:45:11 AM »
I would think there are a couple of categories of changes that we KNOW can be made -- Client-side changes.

Specifically, I would like to see somebody go and remake those crappy-looking head fins from the first generation of costume options -- into something actually useful, like generic cowl pointy ears/horns like have been used on 50+ comic characters starting with Batman and including Daredevil and a bunch of orphaned characters from the 40's thru 60's -- or how about an actual generic spread-winged bird emblem?  Can somebody come up with less dopey-looking letter and number chest emblems? (smaller, less irregular?)

Sure any change is going to replace an existing option, and SOMEBODY will not like it, but I think there are major improvements that could be made in the less-popular costume pieces.

Also, wouldn't it be possible to alter existing maps?

"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 06:17:34 AM »
More glowing costume pieces ala Tron

Retire Bloody Bay and Siren's Call, make them echoes.

modify the space map in the final mission against Darrin Wade/Rularuu to be a moonbase map.

recalculate the values of the AE badges that were removed in the great badge nerf and restore them to AE

In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

jendragon

• Underling
  • I don't look half as good as my CoH toons.
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »
I don't know about minor change ideas other than one possible minor change.  The costume parts that were only accessible to the Dev's for making the NPCs, if it is possible to have those unlocked with the more advanced Costume editor similar with the BUY OPTION to be able to totally alter a character's appearance was a Store Purchase.

I don't agree with fully unlocking all of the Veteran Tiers.  Tier 9 should still be a Subscriber Tier reward.  Actually, I only had access to the game for its final year, and with the ability to unlock the parts to the Tiers with every $15 spent worked fine with me. Just before the shut down I had reached Tier 9 and was able to get the Mech like wing pieces for my Cyborg type character.  Having Wings and Tails unlocked for everyone to use, basic ones, and letting people pay for the prettier ones is still reasonable.

Veteran Tier unlock ability, Base Teleportation, should be available freely to subscribers and a buy option in the Store.

Base Editing, this won't be a minor request.  I have seen some wonder creations inside bases due to people skills with the controls they had.  I worked at learning from the "Masters" and borrowed ideas to use in my own works.  In some areas we were lacking pieces for a particular feel.  Maybe some pieces that look like actual pillows and blankets, pieces that look like table settings.  Small braziers for those who don't want a huge fireplace in a small room, or a half size to the wall torches.  Maybe some wall torches that have a wood look instead of the stone hands.

But the one thing I want is my account back with my already made characters which I only have to do the 50+ instances.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2015, 07:44:28 PM »
Suggestions for minor dev alterations if CoH relaunches

Black Scorpion needs to smile more.

Arbiter Hawk should get a hair cut.

Synapse needs better shoes.

Black Pebble should clean the inside of his car.

Suggestions for major dev alterations if CoH relaunches

Dr. Aeon should be taller.

War Witch should become less Canadian.

Second Measure should dye himself green and livestream visits to abusive players where he throws their furniture around and growls "puny troll!" and "Nate smash!"

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2015, 01:49:19 AM »
Revert Trick or Treating to the fun everybody open as many doors as possible as quickly as possible mode from the boring i'm surprised even people who want the badges are doing this mode.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2015, 09:11:31 PM »
Suggestions for minor dev alterations if CoH relaunches
Black Scorpion needs to smile more.
Arbiter Hawk should get a hair cut.
Synapse needs better shoes.
Black Pebble should clean the inside of his car.

Suggestions for major dev alterations if CoH relaunches
Dr. Aeon should be taller.
War Witch should become less Canadian.
Second Measure should dye himself green and livestream visits to abusive players where he throws their furniture around and growls "puny troll!" and "Nate smash!"

This post...makes me happy.
"Let's get dangerous..."

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Revert Trick or Treating to the fun everybody open as many doors as possible as quickly as possible mode from the boring i'm surprised even people who want the badges are doing this mode.

Percentage of Jack spawning after Eochai being defeated needs to be improved.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2015, 11:24:59 PM »
* Lose travel suppression, not sure why it was ever put in the game.

* Change AE designer so you can actually place mission objectives on the map.  My biggest gripe ...

* Remove the requirement to take prereq powers in the power pools to get the one you want.

* As a hero,  let me gain villain power sets without having to go to the dark side first.

*  Do something like Neverwinter did, where you can earn extra enhancement slots over time, just by gaining xp after reaching
max level.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 08:09:30 AM »
* Lose travel suppression, not sure why it was ever put in the game.
* Change AE designer so you can actually place mission objectives on the map.  My biggest gripe ...
* Remove the requirement to take prereq powers in the power pools to get the one you want.
* As a hero,  let me gain villain power sets without having to go to the dark side first.
*  Do something like Neverwinter did, where you can earn extra enhancement slots over time, just by gaining xp after reaching
max level.

Travel Suppression exists so that player's can't just cheese-kite enemies. I do think it could be re-worked a little bit though...to be a little less of a pain in the rump. Perhaps only activating on using powers, and not being attacked. Switching off after all enemies within a certain radius have been defeated, or say...5 seconds since power usage. To throw out an idea.

I can't say for certain, as I don't know as much as I should about AE's backend. I have a feeling however that it was likely partially a technical limitation, or perhaps it would have been more trouble than it was worth to implement at the time. Personally, I want to see about players having far more control to build missions and stories in AE.

Giving players just free access to skip to the bottom of the Power Pools sounds like a great idea. Why have to take hasten when you just want Super Speed? On the flipside, it does keep players within a certain frame-work, and away from nudging too close to freeform characters. CoH tried freeform...and it didn't quite work.
Honestly, however...this is kind of something I wouldn't mind letting a bunch of beta players loose on a server to try. It could either go horribly, or work pretty well.

The Patron Power pools are thematically supposed to be representations of the Arachnos Patrons. The idea being that these are special skills you learned from your mentor while under their tutelage. How/Why would a Hero have access to these very special skills?

The last one is...an interesting idea. Very similar to a thought I've been having. It opens the possibility of balance issues, in both PvE and PvP. However, I love the idea of becoming more and more awesome...and Incarnate felt a little...clunky to me. (No offense, Posi. -salute-)
"Let's get dangerous..."