Author Topic: Battle of the Powersets #2  (Read 8124 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Battle of the Powersets #2
« on: March 29, 2015, 08:35:56 PM »
Invulnerability vs Willpower
Go!

hurple

• Elite Boss
Re: Battle of the Powersets #2
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
Go!

Willpower rocks!  Invulnerability, less so.

:D

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:55:20 PM »
Invulnerability/Super Strength was my first build.  As much as I loved playing it, I came to prefer Willpower because it was easier to play due to its almost unrivaled endurance pool.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm not a huge melee fan, but I did use and like both of these sets. For me it's a bit of a draw, but I think I would have to pick Willpower of the two.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 11:57:59 PM »
Again it all depends on how you build the sets and what IO enhancements you could use to improve both..

I have made both extremely strong.. I dont think one was better than the other.. I think WP was easier to deal with for most..

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 01:40:13 AM »
While the defensive/resistance toggle powers of both sets were about equal, WP didn't have the problem with toggle crash in the middle of a fight due to lack of endurance to nearly the same degree that Invulnerability did.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
While the defensive/resistance toggle powers of both sets were about equal, WP didn't have the problem with toggle crash in the middle of a fight due to lack of endurance to nearly the same degree that Invulnerability did.
pretty much this right here... most WP abilities were either passive or low drain, so you wouldn't suddenly find yourself in need of the blues while smack dab in the middle of a mob of anything. It is less a defnsive set than a self-buffing set.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »
Yep.  WP=nonstop mayhem....

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:34 PM »
Invul.. now... always.. forever..

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »
Never tried WP but my main tank was invuln/ss. Slotting him was a mathematical nightmare, but once it was done he was virtually unkillable. The only drawback I had was very low energy/neg energy resistance. Basically, my tank could stand in front of Reichsman for days if he had to and never die, but he'd become the Faceplant King if he ever went to the Shadow Shard.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 04:57:01 AM »

Proper slotting.. never run out of end.. Attacks drain more end than toggles.. Ive never had a toggle crash EVER in the middle of a fight on ANY set.. including Dark Armor when I ran 8-10 toggles

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:57:16 AM »
Go!

Had a Willpower Brute never regretted it, he was one tough SoB  :D Also had a Invul Tank which was fun but enjoyed the Brute more!

So Willpower for me.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »
 Ill just say this.. an Inv Tank softcapped to S/L/E/N and capped resistance to S/L (the most common damage type in the game) with Perma Dull Pain is a thing of beauty to behold.. I tanked Psi AV's with him..

Now as a counter argument a Willpower Tanks  softcapped to S/L/E/N while not having as much resistance as INV that can regen 141 HP per second is prett darn good as well..

For me is a toss up.. playing both.. they both did very well.

Willpower of course has less end issues because of Quick Recovery. However a well built toon can avoid any end issues.. If I can mitigate end issues on a Dark Armor/Stone Tank.. everything else is easy..

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 02:04:34 AM »
Ill just say this.. an Inv Tank softcapped to S/L/E/N and capped resistance to S/L (the most common damage type in the game) with Perma Dull Pain is a thing of beauty to behold.. I tanked Psi AV's with him..

Now as a counter argument a Willpower Tanks  softcapped to S/L/E/N while not having as much resistance as INV that can regen 141 HP per second is prett darn good as well..

Willpower of course has less end issues because of Quick Recovery. However a well built toon can avoid any end issues.. If I can mitigate end issues on a Dark Armor/Stone Tank.. everything else is easy..

My inv/ss tank had endo issues if he was attacking alot, so it made me a better tank - I'd just taunt and stomp a lot to hold agro. Made me pay attention to the team to let them do the killing.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 02:09:01 AM »
My inv/ss tank had endo issues if he was attacking alot, so it made me a better tank - I'd just taunt and stomp a lot to hold agro. Made me pay attention to the team to let them do the killing.

What always amazed me about this game was people would complain about their toggles draining end but they never seemed to realize that attacks drain more end than toggles.. yet many rarely slotted attacks with end redux..

Dev7on

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 04:53:49 PM »
Go!

You mean Regeneration vs. Willpower?  ;)

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:09 AM »
Invul was absolutely worthless on scrappers (ended up unslotting and deleting several different characters after trying numerous builds) but great on tanks and somewhat for brutes.

I found willpower to be better than invul when surrounded by lots of foes that normally kill invul. But you also need some near softcap defense to get there.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 03:26:31 AM »
I think the positive feedback on crash less nukes was going to lead to crash less t9 defensive powers for some sets, but that was mostly scuttlebutt.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »
accidental double post - carry on.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 11:33:59 PM »

Why not F/C?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:20:14 AM by HeatSpike1 »

ricodah

• Boss
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 04:59:36 AM »
Why not F/C?

There were not many enemies with pure F/C damage in the game after level 35.