Author Topic: Ridiculous Question  (Read 72958 times)

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: Ridiculous Question
« Reply #220 on: April 09, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
I'm betting she made a *really* witty joke about how the mission critically failed, by having the sentence critically fail.

That or she did math to it, and now the missing portion can only be seen with a Lucky Charms decoder wheel.

Could go either way with Arcana, honestly.
Well, I have said that I thought she was crazy. So, it wouldn't have surprised me either way.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #221 on: April 09, 2015, 08:08:55 PM »
These days, the cheapest option there would be use one of the many cloud based CDN's available at quite affordable rates. No need to build your own expensive distribution method.

Or you could torrent the thing and just manage the seeds.  Also, we wouldn't need to "patch" the client per-se, we could just send data directory updates.  Patching isn't hard, but data directory feeds would be stupidly simple.  I would probably prefer client patches myself (at least pigg patches) for technical reasons, but there exist update paths that require very little work to implement overall.  Still, its Yet Another Thing for the operators to oversee, and I can't speak for anyone else as to what is reasonable workload.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2015, 10:35:36 PM »
Or you could torrent the thing and just manage the seeds.  Also, we wouldn't need to "patch" the client per-se, we could just send data directory updates.  Patching isn't hard, but data directory feeds would be stupidly simple.  I would probably prefer client patches myself (at least pigg patches) for technical reasons, but there exist update paths that require very little work to implement overall.  Still, its Yet Another Thing for the operators to oversee, and I can't speak for anyone else as to what is reasonable workload.

I considered the torrent option, but that's very much reliant on your peers agreeing to seed the thing, and there are still people out there with quota limits...

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2015, 05:57:59 AM »
I considered the torrent option, but that's very much reliant on your peers agreeing to seed the thing, and there are still people out there with quota limits...

Not if you also have a server or two seeding as well.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #224 on: April 10, 2015, 06:46:07 AM »
Not if you also have a server or two seeding as well.

And that depends entirely on cost. It might well be cheaper to lease CDN space. Admittedly, I've never looked into it.

Bonez

• Underling
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
Just checking in and saw this thread, and to be honest I'm not sure what compelled me to read it.  I can't say there is one NcSoft game I care for besides CoH.  CoH was my first mmo, and that wasn't until 2009 sometime...think issue 13 or 14?  I was pretty much just an fps gamer prior and thought mmo's were a waste of time.  Since the shut down I've played quite a few different mmo's and I fit in the same boat as so many others.  I can't seem to find anything that remotely comes close to the enjoyment I had with CoH.  I've been playing WoW for the past couple years on and off and various f2p games.  I even went so far as to buy GW2 and I don't care what anyone says, but that has to be one of the most boring leveling experiences I've had.  I'm really hoping one of these newer titles like Valiance Online, City of Titans, Heroes and Villians (which I'm assuming all three are currently continuing development) can pick up the ball.  To be honest I just say to hell with NcSoft...our money and loyal fan base is better invested in one of these upcoming titles anyway.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #226 on: April 10, 2015, 08:50:23 AM »
And that depends entirely on cost. It might well be cheaper to lease CDN space. Admittedly, I've never looked into it.

Never really deployed one before, but ballpark say ten cents a gig, plus or minus a factor of two.  Say a content patch averages 100MB, that's a penny per patch per player.  For ten thousand players, that's a hundred bucks per update.  That's not bad, actually.  A buck per player per year would probably cover all the distribution costs if you did it efficiently.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #227 on: April 10, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
Never really deployed one before, but ballpark say ten cents a gig, plus or minus a factor of two.  Say a content patch averages 100MB, that's a penny per patch per player.  For ten thousand players, that's a hundred bucks per update.  That's not bad, actually.  A buck per player per year would probably cover all the distribution costs if you did it efficiently.

That's even cheaper than I thought it would be, and doesn't suffer the drawbacks of using torrents (such as some ISP's blocking torrent protocols).

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2015, 03:43:01 AM »
Yes. I'll pay a dollar to patch my game! Can I do it now?

Now would be good.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2015, 03:50:56 AM »
Yes. I'll pay a dollar to patch my game! Can I do it now?

Now would be good.
I threw $1,000 at City of Titans.  I'd happily throw double that at CoH Legacy Edition to help them get on their feet (whoever they are).

Especially if that contribution came with an enormous bag of INF and loot.  ;)

"Bribing Your Way to Victory" - it's not just a gaming strategy, it's a way of life.  ;D

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2015, 04:13:35 AM »
"Bribing Your Way to Victory" - it's not just a gaming strategy, it's a way of life.  ;D

It's been working for K Street so far xD

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
I threw $1,000 at City of Titans.  I'd happily throw double that at CoH Legacy Edition to help them get on their feet (whoever they are).

Especially if that contribution came with an enormous bag of INF and loot.  ;)

My gaming budget used to be about $1500-2000 a year. When COH hit, it was all I began playing. Even if you factored in a brand new PC every year (I never did that btw) and COH was still saving me money.

I could easily spend that on legacy and toss a few more at the successor projects.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
Man, if it was only a matter of throwing money at NCSoft, I would venture a guess that we would already have the game back today!  I fear there is a lot more to it than that, and whatever those things are remain the reasons that we are left pining away for our beloved Paragon City.
What was no more, is now reborn!