Author Topic: Battle of the Powersets #3  (Read 4252 times)

ZoeyLovecraft90

• Lieutenant
Battle of the Powersets #3
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:02:02 PM »
Electrical Blast vs Ice Blast
GO!

Battle of the Powersets #2
Invulnerability vs Willpower

Battle of the Powersets #1
Force Field vs Sonic Resonance

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Re: Battle of the Powersets #3
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
  Which AT? that could make a difference in choice.

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
Thinking of the three main ATs I would play with these two choices "Blaster, Dominator & Corruptor" and would go Ice Blast on all three ATs, can't think of why I'd go Electric Blast.

HeatSpike1

• Boss
  • CoH Global: @HeatSpike1
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »
Ice blast all day! First of all I always thought that the ice animations and sounds were so cool.  But in terms of play, I loved slowing the movement and attack rates of all enemies until they were all as helpless as the 6 million dollar man. very helpful especially in terms of pvp too

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »
Ice powers are among my favorite in the whole game. My favorite blaster and dominator both used ice attacks. I like the utility and don't really miss having a snipe.

For a while electric was fun to make sappers, but otherwise I always thought it was lacking. I guess having a ball of lightning fall you around and zot things was amusing, though.

TriNitroToluene

• Minion
  • Triumph Server....the few, the proud, the pantless
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »
Loved, loved and loved electrical blast on my blaster.  With epics and electric manipulation I could fully drain most mobs and had 3 hold powers available for holding those real tough guys.  I grew to love the sapping and don't get me started on the beauty of Thunderous Blast.  Blast then in for the Power Sink. 

I was so looking forward to re-working him for the I24 changes, what a shame it didn't happen.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:00:31 AM »
This should have been Electric vs Energy Blast, not Ice Blast. Ice Blast is way better than Electric, it's not a contest.
Now, Electric vs Energy and Ice vs Fire, may have been better matchups.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 02:11:05 AM »
 Dominators dont have Ice Blast or Electric Blast.. They have Assault which is slight different..

I like Ice Blast... I had it on a Defender..

However I my Electric Blaster was very very good.. I would say that Electric is definitely affected more by the secondary chosen that Ice Blast is..

Solitaire

• Elite Boss
  • Badge Hunting
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 06:55:49 AM »
Dominators dont have Ice Blast or Electric Blast.. They have Assault which is slight different..

I like Ice Blast... I had it on a Defender..

However I my Electric Blaster was very very good.. I would say that Electric is definitely affected more by the secondary chosen that Ice Blast is..

Blast - Assault you knew what I meant Mr Heatstroke  ;D

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:58:25 PM »
Blast - Assault you knew what I meant Mr Heatstroke  ;D

True.. Assault though has some nice melee powers mixed in.

I loved both.. but as a pure blast set.. I think Ice is slighty better the only power I dont like in Ice Blast is Bitter Freeze Ray because the animation was too long..

But if you build you character to be able to Drain End.. Electric can shine..

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »
If I had to pick one that I was allowed to use it would definitely be Ice Blast.  I'm a controller at heart and love the mitigation it provides.  A /Ice defender can play a lot like a controller.

That being said, a sapper character using Elec Blast is something I always meant to get around to, and perhaps will one day.  I just feel the set really suffers from the lack of a strong third ST attack.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 03:10:52 AM »
If I had to pick one that I was allowed to use it would definitely be Ice Blast.  I'm a controller at heart and love the mitigation it provides.  A /Ice defender can play a lot like a controller.

That being said, a sapper character using Elec Blast is something I always meant to get around to, and perhaps will one day.  I just feel the set really suffers from the lack of a strong third ST attack.

I believe that is because its specialty is supposed to be end drain.. and it has a pseudo pet.. Electric does well when paired with /Elec, /Nrg, /Mental which all can help its end drain abilities in different ways..

and if yow want to talk about being a mini controller.. E3's Elec/Elec/Elec can seriously lock down single targets if they chose too..

In the end my E3 did well and really shined when Incarante abilities came around..

However that being said.. I believe Elec is quite a bit more dependent on what secondary you chose to maximize its ability..

Ice not nearly so much affected..

Pyromantic

• New Efforts # 16,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 10:46:16 AM »
There are a number of blasters that can act like controllers from the control point of view.  My first character was a Sonic/Ice blaster, and it was actually in the course of playing it that I discovered a love of controlling.  I started playing controllers after that and my first 4 50s came from that AT.

However, I mentioned a /Ice defender playing like a controller because you also have the buff/debuff set along with the 2 ST holds from the secondary.

Ankhammon

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 05:38:04 AM »

Even without the third blast Elec was a strong single target char. That little pet added a huge amount of dps considering it's casting time of 3.1 seconds every 60 seconds. Yes it's AI meant you could never trust it to shoot at one thing and that it would agro things at really stupid times, but it added lots of damage per cast.

Of course, it meant you felt weaker just because you didn't actually shoot more than the tier 1 and 2 blasts.
Cogito, Ergo... eh?