Author Topic: Converting old COH/V Parts into costumes in other games?  (Read 1750 times)

AE-1

• Underling
  • For Glory! For Pain! For Arachnos!
Converting old COH/V Parts into costumes in other games?
« on: April 13, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Hey There Titan Forums! Long time no talk!  :D

While out and about trying to find a replacement for CoV (which, lets be honest, there really isn't yet), when I had the idea:
Would it be possible to take the completed costume files from the CoH editor, and place them, with their assets, into another game? I imagine it would take a lot of coding work at the least.

Therefore, I ask the community, if this is even possible? I am just wishing to make all the costumes I keep making in Titan Icon and my old costumes relevant.

I've found an RPG that I am actually OK with and wouldn't mind using these costumes for.
Planet Explorers is what I was thinking of working with.
Honestly, any game that I could do this with would be great.

The general idea is basically: Fire up Titan Icon, create a costume from CoH, export/maybe convert the file types(and any required assets) to the corresponding games file type. Therefore making your old CoH costumes new skins/meshes for newer games.
Other games to maybe consider, GTA and just about any other sandbox/open world game.

I know some games on Steam off community Workshop support, and I think this would could be an interesting addition.
I am terrible with coding and just about anything else, but I'd sure learn it or anything else for this to work.
So I ask, Titan Community/Former Brothers and Sisters of COH/V, is this even possible?

And if not? Is there an alternative to do something SIMILAR or at least PARTS/ASSETS?

TLDR; COULD it be possible to convert old CoH costumes into skins/meshes for other games & could it be streamlined?
(Aka not rebuilding the textures and assets from the ground, up.)

Thanks in advance Titan Community!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:19:43 AM by AE-1 »
Former Arachnos Elite Corps (Guardian Server) Founder and Operator.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: Converting old COH/V Parts into costumes in other games?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
There is a way to export the meshes, apparently: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4947.0.html
The textures can be extracted from the PIGGs easily.
It's combining the two that would be a problem.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Converting old COH/V Parts into costumes in other games?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:58:16 PM »
While the meshes themselves do seem able to be exported, the problem is that they are "snapshots" of the mesh as it appears in the game, and have no rigging data(and in some cases, aren't even solid meshes). Any meshes extracted from CoH would need to be fixed, re-rigged, and more importantly, reanimated.

CoH had hundreds of animations for every action, emote, movement direction, movement style, semi-different animations per-gender(for base ground movement at least), and every reaction(to getting hit or dodging attacks).

To redo all of those in any meaningful way to what they were in CoH, plus re-rigging the meshes themselves to be able to use new animations, while not impossible, is a pretty monumental task for anyone who would want to undertake it. Particularly since the poses the characters are in when exported make re rigging much harder since the characters aren't in neutral t-poses.

Plus, reusing assets like that is questionable territory at best(for fun personal games), and outright illegal at worst(for public games) since it violates NCSoft's copyrights on the art assets.