Author Topic: Obsession...  (Read 16990 times)

RGladden

• Boss
Obsession...
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:41:22 PM »
Twenty years ago, before I had immersed myself in online mmorpg game play, no one could have made me believe that I would someday become obsessed with it.

Am I obsessed?  You tell me...

Four years ago I had a heart attack while preparing to go to work.  After spending more than a week in the horspital, I returned home with a brand-spanking-new double bypass.  Sore from head-to-toe, the missus, who endures more misery from me than any woman should ever have to endure, had to handle some of the more unpleasant tasks associated with post-poop toiletry.  I was so sore, in fact, that I couldn't sleep in a bed, but spent my nights in an old recliner.

On the second day after my return, I gingerly pulled my short, 58 year-old, ugly, aching carcass up out of the recliner, shuffled my way over to my pc, booted up CoH, and played a few missions with the Martian Marauder.

Yesterday, I had a shiny new stint jury-rigged to my quaking ticker.  Out-patient surgery.  Departed the house at 2:00 am in the morning, and returned home at 5:00 pm.  Upon arriving back at the house, the first thing I did, after leaving my better half to unload the vehicle, was to turn on the pc and check this board for news.

After 62 years of aging like a fine whine, I'm still only 14 years old.

How about you nerds?  How obsessed are you with the greatest mmorpg ever created?  Post your own war-stories.

Regards, R (Shuckins) Gladden
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:47:31 PM by RGladden »

RGladden

• Boss
Re: Obsession...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 07:14:54 PM »
*crickets*

Ah well....it was just a thought.   :roll:

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 07:21:49 PM »
I'd share a story of my obsession, but unfortunately I don't really have too many in regards to City of Heroes. I suppose one that might count was when I ended up staying up several hourse longer than I should have in order to take down the Reichsman a couple months before the shutdown. Like I said though, I've not really had many points where I became overly obsessed with the game in any kind of over the top way; even still, I consider it to be my second favourite game of all time, and most definitely my favourite MMO.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 07:44:49 PM »
*crickets*

You probably scared all the fish away.  You can't start a thread asking people to share their dedication to the game, and then say I'll start: I played it after open heart surgery before I could even properly take a dump.  That story they have about the time they decided to skip watching The Wire to do a Hamidon raid is going to kinda seem silly by comparison.  This would be like me starting a thread asking people about the time they did the most math for a forum post.  Unless you think there are lots of people out there who asked the Make a Wish foundation for a thousand superpacks, its going to be hard to even get into the same category.

You need an angle, a way for people to relate to the experience.  You know, like how about asking people to share where on their list of priorities City of Heroes is.  You know, yours could be:

1.  Living
2.  City of Heroes
3.  Recovering from major surgery
4.  Taking a reasonable dump without assistance
5.  Binging Daredevil on Netflix
6.  Seeing the sun

Or maybe you could ask people to share their stories about the time City of Heroes came the closest to killing them, and hold your story back.  Then after people post about that time they ate fifty twinkies straight so they didn't have to stop running Incarnate trials you could spring the heart thing on them and win the thread.

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:00:04 PM »
You probably scared all the fish away.  You can't start a thread asking people to share their dedication to the game, and then say I'll start: I played it after open heart surgery before I could even properly take a dump.  That story they have about the time they decided to skip watching The Wire to do a Hamidon raid is going to kinda seem silly by comparison.  This would be like me starting a thread asking people about the time they did the most math for a forum post.  Unless you think there are lots of people out there who asked the Make a Wish foundation for a thousand superpacks, its going to be hard to even get into the same category.

You need an angle, a way for people to relate to the experience.  You know, like how about asking people to share where on their list of priorities City of Heroes is.  You know, yours could be:

1.  Living
2.  City of Heroes
3.  Recovering from major surgery
4.  Taking a reasonable dump without assistance
5.  Binging Daredevil on Netflix
6.  Seeing the sun

Or maybe you could ask people to share their stories about the time City of Heroes came the closest to killing them, and hold your story back.  Then after people post about that time they ate fifty twinkies straight so they didn't have to stop running Incarnate trials you could spring the heart thing on them and win the thread.

Clearly....I am an amateur.... :P

Harq

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 08:11:01 PM »
Ok I'll pipe in.  But my story is a cruel kind of sad.  I too had a surgery that needed to be done.  My summer was fairly busy so I was not active on city of heroes.  Got to do free to play off an on but my summers are just hectic compared to winter.

Anyway, my surgery was scheduled for early October and I'd be basically bedridden for a few weeks then on light duty at best for a few more.  My logic dictated to avoid City of Heroes until then.  I had something to look forward to.  I think you can all see where this is heading......

Fortunately I got anxious and went to play late August and saw that it was closing. Right before my $%#@ing surgery.  I immediately binged on it as much as I could and suffered sleepwise for it.  Id give anything to play again.....

In any case I ended up playing the hell out of Fire Emblem during the day and Battlefield during the night.  Not the same but I least I got my rpg and buddy gaming fix.

All about GTA V heists now but ready to throw my ps out the window and break my legs when this game come back.

kidding.  I'll only fake breaking my legs....

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
Ok I'll pipe in.  But my story is a cruel kind of sad.  I too had a surgery that needed to be done.  My summer was fairly busy so I was not active on city of heroes.  Got to do free to play off an on but my summers are just hectic compared to winter.

Anyway, my surgery was scheduled for early October and I'd be basically bedridden for a few weeks then on light duty at best for a few more.  My logic dictated to avoid City of Heroes until then.  I had something to look forward to.  I think you can all see where this is heading......

Fortunately I got anxious and went to play late August and saw that it was closing. Right before my $%#@ing surgery.  I immediately binged on it as much as I could and suffered sleepwise for it.  Id give anything to play again.....

In any case I ended up playing the hell out of Fire Emblem during the day and Battlefield during the night.  Not the same but I least I got my rpg and buddy gaming fix.

All about GTA V heists now but ready to throw my ps out the window and break my legs when this game come back.

kidding.  I'll only fake breaking my legs....

Now THAT'S the spirit!   8)

Now...ermm...this surgery.  Was it a "man" thing??

Harq

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »
Wow dude.  Still too soon but the fact that you picked that up says your talking from experience as well haha.  I mentioned the surgery thing on my very first post with this forum.

Ah well.  When it does come back I'm getting my kids into it.  Daughter just turned 6 and Son is 4 soon so we will be kicking ass and taking names as a family!

Man thing..... lols

RGladden

• Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 08:53:08 PM »
Wow dude.  Still too soon but the fact that you picked that up says your talking from experience as well haha.  I mentioned the surgery thing on my very first post with this forum.

Ah well.  When it does come back I'm getting my kids into it.  Daughter just turned 6 and Son is 4 soon so we will be kicking ass and taking names as a family!

Man thing..... lols

:D  ;D

The fact that you didn't "elaborate" on the type of surgery was a "dead" giveaway....

Regards, Shuckins

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:26:10 PM »
*crickets*

Stuck on an IPhone for a while... hang in there!  It's a workday!

I am obsessed too.  I have never been a good game player, hell i was mediocre at best with COH, but COH was the right mix of subject, game play and social.  The super-group I was in was fantastic and over time I even met some people from the game.  I always hoped I could have gone to a Player's Summit.  The year they gave out a five-year subscription one of the guys in the super-group won it.

Abraxus

• Elite Boss
  • Brax on Discord. Play on Homecoming/Torchbearer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 12:02:12 AM »
I guess you could call the number of hours I put into CoH over the course of 8 years some level of obsessive.  I showed my (then) 6 year old son how to play, and he practically grew up playing it afterward, eventually getting to the expertise level where I would be asking HIM questions!

Now, after having played other games (including a couple of other MMOs), my only obsession is checking this site multiple times a day looking for some sign of progress towards the return of my game, and having to settle for just talking about it with folks who are in the same boat.
What was no more, is now reborn!

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
Well, this reminds me of a RL who also played CoH. He tells me on SG chat that he appears to be suffering from internal bleeding. I was like, get to the hospital ASAP! Don't worry, there is no penalty for leaving your mission.

A few weeks later after being fine since the first hospital visit, I see the message, uh oh, I think I am bleeding again. Oh no, get yourself back to the hospital. This time he was out of action for about a week and was off from work for 6 weeks.

I had my own hospital to CoH moment. I was in a car accident earlier in the day and my left hand punched the front windshield but lucky for me no broken bones in the hand, but it was quite sore. So sore, I was not able to use it to play CoH. Well my friends told me to join in anyways. After a few missions I get, I thought you were down to 1 hand? I am, mostly, I can use the hand to press the space bar.

So, you have be beat with a double bypass, I just had a sore hand, but I didn't feel as much while playing CoH which kept my mind off the whole incident.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 02:57:48 AM »
One time I had to play for awhile due to my left arm in a cast. Could somewhat use the left hand for some minor keyboard things, but my right hand was moving the mouse around to help guide the character around and select powers. 

Also painkillers helped me to use the left hand a bit on the keyboard.

As for now, I check here regularly and I still tinker in Mids and ICON
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 03:07:12 AM »
I have nothing to beat playing after heart surgery, but here's my tale of obsession.

My CoH buddy lives in the Pacific time zone while I am in the Eastern. We often played together during weeknights, sometimes for many hours. On those occasions, for me, the clock got very late.

One night, I met up with my buddy's character in-game to resume adventuring in Steel Canyon. He typed, "Hey, what happened to you last night? It looked like your character was stuck running into a wall."

"I fell asleep."

"You fell asleep? Right at your desk? Bwahahahaha!"

Yes, I had grown so sleepy from playing CoH night after night on my buddy's West Coast time frame that I dozed off. When I woke up, my character was facing a wall with the run animation looping. I read the chat window, which showed my buddy had kept checking on me, asking, "Are you crashing? Are you there?" Eventually, he logged off, leaving me running in place against a stone wall.

There were a lot of late nights playing CoH.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 03:13:29 AM »
Obsessions. . . .

I created an AE arc--the final in my PENGUIN series--between 8 to 9 p.m. Eastern U.S. on the final night.  I was still awake when Justice went down at 3 a.m.

Does that count?  :)

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 04:01:34 AM »
Obsessions. . . .

I created an AE arc--the final in my PENGUIN series--between 8 to 9 p.m. Eastern U.S. on the final night.  I was still awake when Justice went down at 3 a.m.

Does that count?  :)

Yep I was online, doing video recording of the final moments when the servers went dark.

Still feel sad and outraged after all this time
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 05:47:03 AM »
Twenty years ago, before I had immersed myself in online mmorpg game play, no one could have made me believe that I would someday become obsessed with it.

Am I obsessed?  You tell me...

Four years ago I had a heart attack while preparing to go to work.  After spending more than a week in the horspital, I returned home with a brand-spanking-new double bypass.  Sore from head-to-toe, the missus, who endures more misery from me than any woman should ever have to endure, had to handle some of the more unpleasant tasks associated with post-poop toiletry.  I was so sore, in fact, that I couldn't sleep in a bed, but spent my nights in an old recliner.

On the second day after my return, I gingerly pulled my short, 58 year-old, ugly, aching carcass up out of the recliner, shuffled my way over to my pc, booted up CoH, and played a few missions with the Martian Marauder.

Yesterday, I had a shiny new stint jury-rigged to my quaking ticker.  Out-patient surgery.  Departed the house at 2:00 am in the morning, and returned home at 5:00 pm.  Upon arriving back at the house, the first thing I did, after leaving my better half to unload the vehicle, was to turn on the pc and check this board for news.

After 62 years of aging like a fine whine, I'm still only 14 years old.

How about you nerds?  How obsessed are you with the greatest mmorpg ever created?  Post your own war-stories.

Regards, R (Shuckins) Gladden
at the age of 42 I went to the hospital for day surgery. woke up in intensive care with 6 brand new bypasses. they wouldnt let me use a laptop till I was in a regular room, but I logged onto COH as soon as I was there. I still check for news a couple of times a day.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 06:10:03 AM »
Obsession? Well, I'm still writing CoH fanfic and still doing CoH roleplay with some friends... Does that count? :P

Apogee

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 06:36:38 AM »
I think everyone who frequents this board can be categorized as being obsessed with City of Heroes.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
I am part of a group chat, and someone mentioned luddites, and I immediately thought "Martin Henri?" (The leader/founder of the Luddites in Cap au Diable.)

Almost two and a half years after shutdown and I still instantly remember things like that.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal