Author Topic: Couldn't log into Champions - Fixed!  (Read 1595 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Couldn't log into Champions - Fixed!
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
It's not because I didn't enjoy the game while playing it. It's not the prices. I no longer have to worry about most of that anymore (already bought most of what I might want anyway). It's not the limited content or the lack of a Foundry or the linear missions.

It's that I just flat can no longer log in reliably anymore. Period. And I'm not the only one.

The linked thread below shows exactly the issue I'm having. That I've had for weeks now in fact.

It's not quite accurate to say I can't get on the game at all. I CAN log in - IF I DELETE THE GAME AND RELOAD FROM SCRATCH EVERY TIME. Needless to say I'm not going to do that. So I just cancelled my subscription. If I CAN'T play the game, I'm hardly going to give them money for it.

The thread below has my goodbye post as well. I'll quote it just in case it gets deleted:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=306101

I'm not looking for any technical help, because I know I'm not going to get any.

But I've been having this issue for the last few weeks and I've decided it's simply time to move on with my life.

I've been a subscribing player for years now. My next billing date is tomorrow - the 19th.

I'm just giving notice to Cryptic that because of the error that the OP is having - that I am also having - and that doesn't seem to be acknowledged in ANY WAY whatsoever, I am cancelling my sub TONIGHT.

If Cryptic/PWE are not interested in retaining me as a customer by seeing to my (and many other peoples) needs in regards to such a SIMPLE THING as actually LOADING THE GAME, then I'm no longer interested in giving them money. Period. It's just that simple.

Thanks. It's been a fun run up until now. But I'm done with your company until this gets fixed. And maybe not even then.

No. You can't have my stuff. Because that would require me TO LOG IN TO GIVE IT TO YOU.

And I can't do that anymore.

Goodbye and peace out.

*EDIT*  Fixed the problem! See below!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:54:04 AM by Atlantea »

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:56:53 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
So you got 1 sympathy reply. Tough forum. Just imagine if you were a BAD mod these past years.

It can be really frustrating to be locked out of your game. Especially for an extended period. I feel for ya.

Anyway, hope you get something fun to play inserted into your game time soon and that CO sorts itself out soon. If it was me I would probably play around with some of the other stuff out there and check back with CO after patches. It can't just stop working on your machine forever unless it's your machine.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Couldn't log into Champions - Fixed!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:52:36 AM »
Well I went off and did other things and games. Did some DCUO and Guild Wars 2. But darn it, I was missing my Starships and character creation fix. (DCUO is some nice Superheroing - but the customization options are... limited.)

I had been thinking about outright uninstalling both games, but hadn't gotten around to it. While contemplating the back-up folders for the stuff that would be lost if I just uninstalled and shredded the folders (the screenshots and costume designs mainly) I thought to give the situation a more thorough attempt at a fix.

And thus the "Nuke the Site from Orbit" protocol was initiated.

I uninstalled both games after backing up the screenshot folders elsewhere. Then I also uninstalled ALL my other Steam games. Then I uninstalled Steam itself. And then used some System care tools to "deep clean" the remaining folders, scramble and randomize the data and the registry bits. ("Carthage delenda est!" )

Then I did a full defrag on my drives and a systemcare sweep, then rebooted the computer an extra time on top of the standard reboot - just to be thorough.

Next I reinstalled Steam. But placed the game archive on my 1TB external USB drive. Then I re-installed Star Trek Online and Champions and let them fully update. in the process I followed the install process carefully and made sure my anti-virus "got to know" both games as they installed with new protocol and exceptions in place.

Then I rebooted the computer again. THEN I crossed my fingers and launched STO - if I got the black screen of death on the launcher, that would be the end for real and I'd have to walk away from both games permanently.

Well - no black screen of death. It launched just fine with no complaints and no hiccups.

Same with CO. After rebooting again and making sure, I can safely say that both games are working like a charm now.

I can't tell you what exact part of the above process was the actual "fix". I just took a shotgun approach and tried EVERYTHING all at once. But something obviously worked.

So - if all else fails - remember the final option - "Nuke the Site from Orbit. It's the only way to be sure!" :P

Xev

• Elite Boss
Re: Couldn't log into Champions - Fixed!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:07:03 PM »
My version of the shotgun approach is to wipe my Windows drive and start over. This beats all the programs you can through at your old install due to your old install will never be as clean as a clean install. One thing all versions of Windows have in common is that over time it will get hosed to some degree. Normally (when I have normal Internet) I clean install ~ once a year and my macheen always runs better after. Often much better.

If your probs come back you might try a bigger shotgun : )

Grats and WB  : )
Some Faves: