Author Topic: CO > STO  (Read 4562 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
CO > STO
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:38:57 PM »
Well someone thinks CO's more valuable. I've had my eye on Amazon's game cards for awhile now and STO's are actually cheaper than CO's since some months.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
Re: CO > STO
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:59:36 AM »
Given how much they've run STO into the ground recently with the ridiculously grindy new expansion and continuous shameless cash grabs, it wouldn't surprise me if it was on the same level as CO in terms of player base and profitability now.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 01:23:59 PM »
That's too bad about STO. I'd really have thought that a Star Trek MMO would get the royal treatment. For all the reasons a Star Trek watching MMO playing geek would get. I never get the impression that it is, though.

I seriously need to get an STO & NWO client for some variety + I just want to check them out due to I have a history with both titles.

>>

Fwiw the OP is just me complaining due to ever since I started toying with the idea of CO game cards the price went up.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:30:37 PM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
It might just be part of CO's death spiral to all we know; raise the price when demand is low know?  Kind of kidding there, probably just retailer oversight.

On the other hand I am admittedly worried about PWE becoming some other privately owned company in the Cayman Islands.  It worries everyone to.  I haven't made a post here or shared the link because I didn't want to post anything in this section of forums when there was good news from MWM.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
I wonder if this is related, maybe just coincidence. Up until about a month or two ago the local Walmart had Perfect World cards. Now they don't have any and said they no longer carry them when I asked.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
I wonder if this is related, maybe just coincidence. Up until about a month or two ago the local Walmart had Perfect World cards. Now they don't have any and said they no longer carry them when I asked.

A little early for Walmart to stop, PWE probably had the change planned but decided not to announce it until assets were cleared from retailers.  Though that would not make sense.

Honestly I hope they don't jack sub prices after moving to the Cayman Islands.  But we never know.  Many of my friends worry they'll just do something disastrous though.  I suspect a shutdown, and I'm guessing from the CO posts that flyingfinn suspects one to, though flyingfinn usually likes to casually troll(as in I don't tend to see him making stupid game-killing suggestions like some others) the forums.

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=308551

"Perfect Peony Holding Co."  Thats a horribly unremarkable name and peony is a flower.  Uh, yeah....actually looking more at the name and the definition actually makes this move a bit...stinkier.

Edit: Then again Perfect Peony Holding is the company he purchased PWE through.  But he still formed it in the Cayman Islands.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:59:30 PM by LaughingAlex »
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 04:13:57 AM »
That's too bad about STO. I'd really have thought that a Star Trek MMO would get the royal treatment. For all the reasons a Star Trek watching MMO playing geek would get. I never get the impression that it is, though.

It used to, and it used to be a really good game. Until the latest expansion came out it was almost as super casual a game as CoH was. Then came the expansion and suddenly everything must be a horrible grind and/or cost piles of real money.

Also, I hadn't heard about that going private thing. That's... interesting.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
First off I can't imagine my things to worry about list ever making it as far down as "Will CO poof?", and, I don't keep up on anything about the game except playing it so I don't have much to say on things outside of gameplay.

Having said that..  : )

PWE doesn't own CO, Cryptic does, right? And PWE doesn't own Cryptic, right?  Soooo... Besides having to find a new host, and how could Cryptic do worse serverconnectionswise, what will happen to CO when PWE does whatever it wants to do?

PWE can take their crummy server connections and shove them up their Arc is how I feel some days. Like when I can't access my account... or the forums.. or CO or Fortuna.

Some Faves:

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
First off I can't imagine my things to worry about list ever making it as far down as "Will CO poof?", and, I don't keep up on anything about the game except playing it so I don't have much to say on things outside of gameplay.

Having said that..  : )

PWE doesn't own CO, Cryptic does, right? And PWE doesn't own Cryptic, right?  Soooo... Besides having to find a new host, and how could Cryptic do worse serverconnectionswise, what will happen to CO when PWE does whatever it wants to do?

PWE can take their crummy server connections and shove them up their Arc is how I feel some days. Like when I can't access my account... or the forums.. or CO or Fortuna.
pwe owns cryptic which means they also own co, sto, and neverwinter, and the new undisclosed game.
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »
I thought PWE was just a host, publisher, or whatever like this. My bad.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled doom and gloom.
Some Faves:

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:49 PM »
PWE to Cryptic is NCsoft to Paragon.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 09:14:23 PM »
*queues dark music*
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »
You wanna talk about a genre with electronic gaming history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Star_Trek_games#Computer

Possibly my first PC game ever was..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Rebel_Universe

I can remember having it in my hands when I was deciding which game to finally drop some coin on. It was over 50 bucks even back then! And that was Midwest el-cheapo price. I was working at Software Etc. at the time and could take home any software I wanted for free but I think this was the first of a handful of games I actually bought and I might even still have it kicking around in a box somewhere.

The Rebel Universe's interface could be cumbersome sometimes but as simple as that game was it was immersive and I played it for many many hours. So awesome.. At that time anyway hehe.

The first Neverwinter totally sucked me in too at the tune of ~ 500 bucks a month.

When I was a kid instead of swimsuit posters I had 1st edition comic books in bags covering my bedroom walls so this is a good genre for me too.

Now if Cryptic would come out with some Command & Conquer/Masters of Orion genre games they'd just about have me covered  : )

Of course they are going to explode in a fiery ball of doom... Just random  thoughting  : )
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 03:13:37 AM »
You wanna talk about a genre with electronic gaming history...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Star_Trek_games#Computer

Possibly my first PC game ever was..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Rebel_Universe

I can remember having it in my hands when I was deciding which game to finally drop some coin on. It was over 50 bucks even back then! And that was Midwest el-cheapo price. I was working at Software Etc. at the time and could take home any software I wanted for free but I think this was the first of a handful of games I actually bought and I might even still have it kicking around in a box somewhere.

The Rebel Universe's interface could be cumbersome sometimes but as simple as that game was it was immersive and I played it for many many hours. So awesome.. At that time anyway hehe.

The first Neverwinter totally sucked me in too at the tune of ~ 500 bucks a month.

When I was a kid instead of swimsuit posters I had 1st edition comic books in bags covering my bedroom walls so this is a good genre for me too.

Now if Cryptic would come out with some Command & Conquer/Masters of Orion genre games they'd just about have me covered  : )

Of course they are going to explode in a fiery ball of doom... Just random  thoughting  : )

Oh god no, not Master of Orion!  They'd end up ruining the whole series and forget the sheer amount of depth that genre had!  We'd have another master of orion 3 only without the modability and ruin the genre!  Leave Master of orion alone!

I'd rather lose once in a while playing MOO2 or get bored playing "tax file simulator" waiting for actual fights than a game where missiles are nerfed to oblivion right off the bat cause some dumbass scrub couldn't help but complain about early game missiles being better and then end up with a "only play races that become good at beams rather than the race you wish to play".  If Cryptic had the helm;

Missiles would be nerfed cause some scrub lost to a blitz within 150 turns...
...or lost to a unitolerant or demolithovore without ever realizing population is power.
.....shields would end up nerfed cause some scrub found he couldn't hurt a class V shield with neutron blasters.....
...neutron blasters would be nerfed cause of the above....
...creative would be made into a 6 pick...
...then made into a 20 race pick...
....only for smarter people to complain that creative was never op and had no trouble regularly curb stomping psilons with all kinds of different unification races....
..and then see unification and democracy nerfed to uselessness so everyone only uses dictatorship.  Feudalism course gets ignored...
...so some experts run feudalism-based blitz races and completely curb stomp everyone using the feud-telepathic-omniscient-warlord combo which is usually easy to beat by any kind of defensive measures due to it's reliance on winning within turn 70-90...
...then everyone likewise has been using torpedos for a long time with the nerfs to creative and to beams overall so they get nerfed to uselessness.  Bye bye photon and plasma torpedoes.
...resulting in the game being nothing but waiting for disruptors....(Actually, no, it'd be people trying to destroy everyone elses defenses relying entirely on spies until the end of time or using fighters with fighters being the only tactic the scrubs allow).

It'd be a DISASTER.

Oh and leave command and conquer alone to!  Cryptic would probably screw up the tiberium universe even more than EA has with Tiberium Twilight!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:12:27 AM by LaughingAlex »

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 03:20:20 AM »
I will say this about master of orion 3 without the tropical patch.  It has no depth.  All you do is just build as many big ships as possible, don't worry about what weapons they have, shields mean nothing in the game, and curb stomp invade everyone in an ultra slow grind.

Master of orion 2 had strategy because of how much technology actually mattered and how much production mattered at the same time.  If production was a be-all-end-all then uni-tolerant wouldn't ever have to advance beyond basic nuclear missiles and still win with laser cannons even if the enemy had class X shields(which are made in the game to block anything short of plasma cannons/disruptors/gauss cannons).

Now, MOO3 with tropical patch?  Much more strategy to it, having high tech matters(no beating someone with high tech shields with nothing but fusion cannons, retro engines and frigates!), and production and expansion mattered to and so did politics.  Still gets boring fast though.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 04:43:08 AM »
StarCraft online is a very decent Command and Conquer type game but man the players can be brutal. I was just getting good enough to only be verbally slammed once or twice per session before I started playing CO.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 02:11:57 AM »
CO is DOUBLE > STO atm.

$15 for 60 day STO sub game cards. $30 for CO..

Ohhh and it says Only 1 left in Stock at Amazon.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 01:33:18 PM »
Just in case anyone is keeping track... CO is still > STO but only by a dollar.

CO game cards are currently $15,99,

That's an 8 buck a month sub. If you like the game and don't have any major issues with it (you know who you are....) 8 bucks is pretty darn reasonable.

I've decided to try and get in on the next LTS sale.. I'd have done it sooner if I could have. I owe them the game at least that much in free entertainment already.
Some Faves: