Author Topic: At least NCSoft isn't *THIS* bad. (A game from 25 years ago just got released)  (Read 15756 times)

Blackgrue

• Lieutenant
Thought some people might get a kick out of this. A top-down logic-puzzle game from 1995 (Chip's Challenge 2) just got released on Steam after 25 years of negotiations with the company that held its rights and wouldn't release the bloody thing.

NCSoft are terrible but I doubt they'd hold out that long. A review of the product and more details can be found by following this well-crafted link.
Virtue native

Main characters:
Diz the Goblin
Projekt Redstorm

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
Nice history lesson for this game.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Thought some people might get a kick out of this. A top-down logic-puzzle game from 1995 (Chip's Challenge 2) just got released on Steam after 25 years of negotiations with the company that held its rights and wouldn't release the bloody thing.

NCSoft are terrible but I doubt they'd hold out that long. A review of the product and more details can be found by following this well-crafted link.
This is far from only such case. Take System Shock and System Shock 2 for example.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss

Well, at least we have a timeline between now and 24 years now.

duane

• Elite Boss
A little longer than the Kings Quest reboot

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
The difference is between a game with to my knowledge almost no publicity released in a time where publicity was nearly impractical to get and a game that had a ton of publicity and is still fresh in the minds of many people.

Course, if CO shut down, i'd expect the next game for the champions ip to take 25 years to release because I'm sure the fanboys of the last game will actually prove to be a complete hinderance to that IP's return.  They are the complete opposite of us.

Edit: With 25 years being the soonest as odds are good that games community will have to die of old age before the champions IP is free of their corruption and mass troll problems.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
This is far from only such case. Take System Shock and System Shock 2 for example.

Let us also remember the 15 years it took for DUKE NUKEM FOREVER to be finally released.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
Let us also remember the 15 years it took for DUKE NUKEM FOREVER to be finally released.

Ugh, don't mention that game, it's among the worst of all time, up there with Dai Katana and ET.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Well, look at things this way.  This could be about the release/discovery of a working Polybius cabinet.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
Ugh, don't mention that game, it's among the worst of all time, up there with Dai Katana and ET.

I thought it was fun to play.  Granted not worth waiting 15 years for of course

As to E.T., I suggest watching the documentary Atari: Game Over.  It was very illuminating about what really caused the downfall of Atari and also showed the excavation of the landfill and what was in it.

Dai Katana: Truly an awful game, Romero deserved all the flak he received over it.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Baja

• Lieutenant
If it makes any difference to anyone I once saw a bear.

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One

I once saw a bear up in a fir tree in the woods and it sky shat while it was there, forever answering that question.
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Pengy

• Badge Badger
  • Elite Boss
I once saw a bear up in a fir tree in the woods and it sky shat while it was there, forever answering that question.
So what's the answer? Is he Catholic or not?
 :P

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss

...Sky shat?...0_0

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
I was trying to politely say he crapped in the air while up a tree and it did indeed drop into the forest, shaped like clockwise curlicues. (Which I assume is like the Catholics do it!)
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!

That wasn't because of any publisher shenanigans, though. That was all down to an incompetent developer who didn't know when it was time to lock down a feature set and couldn't settle on which bloody engine he wanted to use.

People like that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a computer.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!

Was it taking a poop in the woods? :P

Baja

• Lieutenant
Was it taking a poop in the woods? :P

If it was I'd turn my back in awkwardness. Watching an animal take a crap is like having a stranger walk into your bathroom to watch you do your business then leave. It's a lose lose situation.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
If it was I'd turn my back in awkwardness. Watching an animal take a crap is like having a stranger walk into your bathroom to watch you do your business then leave. It's a lose lose situation.

Duuude...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/does_a_bear_shit_in_the_woods

Baja

• Lieutenant
Duuude...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/does_a_bear_shit_in_the_woods

If you read my response out loud you can almost hear the WHOOSH in the background.