Author Topic: The Eastgate Affair  (Read 7045 times)

PatrickKirchner

• Underling
The Eastgate Affair
« on: June 10, 2015, 11:41:11 PM »
(Warp is a sixteen year old mutant gravity/force field controller, who is on parole and fighting crime as a part of his community services conditions. He has an honest job as a bounty hunter but right now he's just starting out and he's pretty broke. The story tips it's hat to certain aspects of the game. At the time this was written, CoX would occasionally send you on missions in zones you lacked the security clearance to enter...)

Warp had the money for tuition. The course catalog suggested a budget for text books. What was on the syllabus was rather a lot more. It threw his careful planning into complete and total disarray. As a result, Warp was broke like he’d never been when living on the streets. He budgeted what was left of his money carefully. He trimmed unnecessary expenses. In this case food…and coffee. So it was, that he was rather miserable when he was assigned to work The Row.
   It was strange to Warp, to find himself assigned to fight crime in King's Row. His neighbors called him Terry, the train conductor called him Terry. His teachers used Terrance, and so did Back Alley Brawler. In his own thoughts, Warp had ceased calling himself anything but Warp, and he didn't understand the fascination with "Terry." Or, for that matter, Prince Nandelu's choice of "Young Mr. Farrel."
   His parole officer was named Nandelu, and the man was an honest to god African prince.
   An assignment in King's Row should be reason for elation. The journey he had ahead of him was long. It would very possibly take the rest of his life. A King's Row posting was the first major mile marker. If nothing else, it hailed the half way point, a sign he was closer to getting back his flying privileges. But it also raised some dangers. Warp was a plain clothes hero( the Monster-He-Knew-Lurked-Inside was still forming… ). He was patrolling close to home, and could be recognized, and that might be dangerous.
   Home? Warp thought about that. He had many enemies and damn few friends. Was it actually possible that empty run down apartment, filled mostly by echoes, was home? It hardly seemed possible, yet some species of heartache argued strongly, even if he refused to let himself feel it.
   Warp arrived at the Yellow line, and sighed, staring at the bleak autumn colors. Winter was coming, and Warp wasn't looking forward to it. Mostly the sigh was because he wouldn't be taking the train this day, and he realized he'd miss the morning commute. That and he was too damn poor to afford coffee. He had a screamer of a headache. His thoughts were sluggish.
    Today, he'd talk to Juan Jimenez. A fellow mutant, and a reporter, Jimenez worked the gang beat, reporting on the skulls. For Warp's part, he wasn't thrilled with the idea. He wanted to climb higher up the ranks of The Hellions, rather than making an even broader circle of enemies. Prince Nandelu said he wasn't ready for such assignments yet. Well, he thought, moping over work never finishes it. Better get to it.
   "Wait, what?!" Warp asked, and try as he might he couldn't keep the resentment out of his voice. The first meeting with Mr. Jimenez had been less than thrilling. They met on a rooftop, which was actually cool, shook hands, and after a question or two, Jimenez had asked him to pay a visit to the local Hero Corp. Liaison. The point of this was to allow them to know if Warp wanted to pull the glory assignments or keep his head low. Best of all, for this wonderful service, the liaison charged a fee. To Warp it was irritating all around. For one thing, this assignment was considered an act of self promotion, and so it didn't count as community service for parole purposes. For another thing, Warp had damn little money, and he couldn’t afford the fee, and so again, the whole thing was a waste of time. Worst of all, the only heroes forming teams had a far higher security clearance, fought enemies far too powerful for Warp to handle, and seemed to do so on Peregrine Island, a journey Warp doubted he could even attempt and survive. All in all, Warp spent an hour being reminded that in the larger scheme of things he was ineffectual as a crime fighter, that he was broke, and that he had no friends.
   But there is one good thing to say for this assignment, and that's to say at least it's over, Warp thought, as he stalked back to Jimenez for the next briefing. It was true. Before Jimenez he'd been assigned to the Perez Park Security Chief, ordered to go into the woods and hunt down loonies from the Circle of Thorns. The assignment had been brutal. Even Prince Kiros Nandulu could not keep the disappointment in Warp off of his face, and that just stung.
   So it could be fairly said that Warp's mood was not good. Even so, he was not expecting to be sent to The Hollows to talk to David Wincott.
   It was this that had triggered his annoyed outburst. "Wait, what?!"
   "Said I want you to meet Wincott, shake hands with him," was Jimenez' reply.
   "What am I, am I a soccer ball?" asked Warp, still fighting his caffeine deprivation headache, and struggling to keep the resentment out of his voice, "Why am I getting kicked all over the place? The Prince sends me to you, you send me to Hero Corp, they send me back to you, you send me to...to the freaking Hollows to talk to Wincott; Who's Wincott gonna send me to see? The Kings Row Security Chief?"
   "I've read your record, and I gotta say I'm not impressed, tough guy. I decided I'd give you a little test, see if you can take orders, work with the team. Lo' and behold, you can't. Having read your glorious record, you can imagine my surprise."
Warp drew in his breath, marshaled his thoughts, prepared a storm of invective. Jimenez raised a hand, cutting him off.
   "What?" replied Jimenez, "This early in the game, and you can't even handle playing messenger boy? No problem. I'll call Prince Nandelu, tell them they sent me a loser."
   Warp didn't say a word, but the effect was immediate. He could think of a hundred fights too big for him he wouldn't back down from, but for this morning at least, he was cowed. Jimenez had real power over him. There were those who thought Warp's parole a bad idea, for a variety of reasons. Some wanted him stripped of all powers, and placed in a loving caring home, "where he could be the scholar he was clearly meant to be" while others thought that once a criminal, he could never change.
   Either way, his parole was on a precarious footing. He could not afford a bad report from Jimenez. He sighed, calmed himself. It wouldn't last forever.
   Jimenez softened his voice. "You've got hours to log, and I've got nothing for you today, anyways. Tomorrow, if you're still game, we'll move on to something big. In the meantime, you're spoiled for choices. You can rot in the Zig. You can work with Wincott. You can work with me. Or, you can work the streets, running up and down the Row, taking down all the little sickos wearing skull masks you can find. That still counts as community service, you know."
   Warp jogged across the parking lot in back of City Hall. He'd think very seriously about working with Wincott. Jimenez is bad news, he thought, as he made his way toward the War Wall gate to The Hollows. He carefully avoided the stores, which attracted some of the more powerful Hellions, shying away south, by the old warehouses, and parks. He successfully avoided the Hellions. He ran smack into a formidable horde of Clockwork instead.
   A short battle later, Warp checked himself out the hospital and collected the bill for his share of the expenses. He stepped out of the hospital, and saw Hellions had taken over the bus stop across the street.
   He threw one hellion into the air, the other he bound in place with his gravity. The last one charged, only to be thrown into the air. The one he bound fell unconscious. Warp had conjured a dumpster through a gravity wormhole and thrown it at him. The first made it to his feet, so Warp bound him in place.
   It was a typical battle for Warp, and when the Hellions lay at his feet, he tried not to feel petty. A lost cause before he started. Once again he began jogging, trying to make his was to The Hollows door. Luck was with him, to a point. He'd found a safe path, that is, a path filled with enemies he could handle. But it was slow going.
   When he got to the door he stopped, and his heart fell into his stomach. He'd been headed for the Hollows. But the sign clearly read "East Gate."
   So... in the fighting, he turned east when he should have turned west. Clearly, he'd gone to the wrong side of town. He turned around and began the long jog to the west side of Atlas Park.
   This involved quite a few battles, but ones that were easier to handle. More annoying than that, was that whatever road Warp chose, he'd need to pass the yellow line station which involved an uphill jog. The last block was a little tricky as well. Many of the tougher Hellions crowded the area, as did some Vazhilok and quite a few clockwork. The east end was one of the last two places that could be a challenge for Warp. The west end was the other. Even so, the west end was better. Warp had been here, and he knew the rhythm of the place.
   Warp stopped dead. He looked at the sign that read "Perez Park". He swore, because he should have known better. Through those doors was one of the lousier assignments he’d had. He should remember it well. He'd just jogged all the way across Atlas Park for nothing.
   Warp sighed, took off his tie, loosened his collar, turned around and began the long jog back. He'd gotten turned around, obviously. He'd stop at one of the information centers that littered the city. He seemed to remember one near city hall. He'd check a map, see where he'd gone wrong.
   Ten more minutes of jogging, a little more sweat, and several street fights later and Warp came to his next big mile marker. A digital map. He called it up, and found Atlas Park. He'd partnered with this one hero named Travis Flamberge, who'd taken him to the hollows, said it was the fastest way to the top of the dog pile.
   Even now, Warp supposed that Flamberge was right. If you can hit the Hollows and rock the troll's world, you'd fast get a name for yourself. However, it doesn't work that way. That much Warp had learned, and learned it to the tune of a hickory switch. You don't rock The Trolls world. They rock yours. Warp had seen huge battles at the gate, where heroes had taunted and egged great hordes of trolls to the gates. After a half dozen trips to the hospital, Warp decided he could afford that no longer, and returned to his duties in Atlas Park. He shook hands and parted ways with Flamberge, who would not lack for friends to join him as he went down in a blaze of glory.
   Warp checked the maps, looking for the door out, and the door to the hollows was off to the east, as he'd thought. He steeled himself, and began to jog anew.
   Eastgate. The map was wrong. Big yellow letters proclaimed EASTGATE. He turned, went back to the big statue of Atlas. By now Jimenez would have phoned Wincott, decided Warp had skipped out on the meeting. Warp figured he should talk to Jimenez, and tell him he'd gotten lost. The problem being, Jimenez didn't trust him enough to share cell phone numbers, forcing Warp to meet in person, and travel through the city was dangerous, especially for a super.
   But he wasn't beaten yet. There were often teams forming in Atlas, to invade the hollows. He'd simply join one, and follow the leader. With any luck, he could stick with the team the entire way through and ditch Jimenez altogether.
   So Warp headed off to the statue of Atlas, and waited. And waited some more. The good thing was it gave his muscles the chance to rest, and gave him time to eat his meager sack lunch. The bad thing was it was his lunch. Morning had passed. He'd done nothing useful.
   He finally spoke up before the afternoon could try to slip by. "Are there any teams forming for the Hollows?"
   A chorus of head shakes and offers to go to the Portal Corp instead. ensued. Warp wasn't insane, so he declined. He'd wait a minute, try again, and on the third try a beautiful super heroine, dressed in white with a golden aura, looking like she'd descended from heaven itself, smiled down on him and said, "Sorry. You've missed them. They all took off about two hours ago. Come back tomorrow, two hours earlier. You've have all the little super buddies you could wish for."
   And with nothing more to add, she flew away.
   Warp's thousand yard stare lasted about sixty seconds. Then he headed to the yellow line. He still had one card left to play.
   He reflected on his daily schedule. Awake at six. Patrol or assignments by seven. Lunch. Head out at three. School till late. Then study. Six hours sleep. He worked a physical job, got beat up a lot, and had gone to the hospital so many times the staff had made a novelty "frequent customer" punch card they'd punch every time he came in.
   All this and more happens to people who try to harden themselves into diamonds. This is what happens to bad boys who want to be super heroes.
   His headache throbbed. It occurred to Warp that back then, as right now, he might have been very tired, or even punch drunk. When he made the trip to the Hollows, it had been to the east, but maybe he wasn't in Atlas at all. If true, the door to the hollows was likely on the east side of Galaxy. He boarded the yellow line.
   No luck. Where in heck was I? Warp thought.
   Didn't matter. We'll do things the hard way, Warp thought. I will find this place if I have to resort to freaking right hand rule!
   Galaxy City was beautiful, as always. But today it held no salvation.
   Neither did Steel. But Skyway did.
   Warp sighed, looking at the map. There was a door to the hollows, but this wasn't right. There wasn't enough tired, sleepy, too damn poor to afford caffeine, or punch drunk in the world to convince him that he'd been to Skyway. Warp was tired. He might be stupid. But he wasn't suicidal.
   There was a door, though, and there was no way in the world to get to it.
   A huge hulking guy appeared, dressed in motorcycle leathers, burning with flame, carrying a mace. Warp talked fast.
   "'Scuze me! Sir! Is there another way to the hollows besides the gate here?"
   "Atlas Park, little guy." and with that the hero leapt the length of several blocks.
   At least, Warp hoped the guy was a hero. It'd look bad on Warp, if the guy went to rob a bank.
   Warp watched the week’s budget for Ramen drain away. He worked the entire circuit even so, finally coming full circle, back in Atlas Park. Once in Atlas, the map showed The Hollows. The map fit his memory. He made the trip again. Predictably, the sign still read EASTGATE.
   He caught two teen superheroines coming out of the Hollows. They were flush with the victories that always seemed to elude Warp. He tried to feel happy for them, and succeeded. He also tried to keep jealousy out of the dark corners of his heart, and here he was not entirely successful.
   "Can you tell me how to get to the Hollows?" he asked.
   One girl looked at him like he was stupid, or perhaps had a concussion. "Dude...you’re there."
   "Where?"
   "Do you see the gigantic door right in front of you? Right through there."
   "The sign says… Eastgate."
   "No, it's the Hollows," and there was no mistaking the disdain in her voice. "You’re there, just go right on through."
   The other girl leapt to Warp's defense, "No Belle, the kids right. Look, the Hollows is just a nickname. Before the trolls blew it up, it was a neighborhood was called Eastgate. No...no one has the heart to change the sign."
   Warp felt his anger, frustration, and resentment melt into a sense of loss. It wasn't quite a lump in his throat that he swallowed, but still he had just a little trouble finding his voice. "They couldn't change it," he said softly, "it would be disrespectful."
   The second girl nodded somberly, and a quiet voice said, "Right."
   With that they left.
   Warp steeled himself, walked up to the gate guard.
   "FBSA Registration." the guard intoned. Warp handed him his GIFT card.
   The guard looked. "Sorry kid. I can't let you in."   
   Oh God in Heaven, Warp thought. His guts went cold. Jimenez. He must have called the Parole Board. Even so, it surprised him. He figured Prince Nandelu would at least wait and hear his side of it. He found his voice, tried to keep the fear out of it, and asked, "Why? What's the problem?"
   The guard shrugged. His voice was a monotone. "You don't have sufficient security clearance."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:21:14 AM by PatrickKirchner »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
  • You're not seeing double, I'm not wearing pants.
    • City of Warcraft or whatever it was called
Re: The Eastgate Affair
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 07:25:28 AM »
He liked to pay it forward by gifting low level heroes with a few thousand influence.  Way back, early in his career, some hero gave him 30,000i and that allowed him to buy all new shiny enhancements.  He knew that he should be working on his incarnate skills, but helping the lowbies seemed more useful.  As he flew around Atlas Park, checking heroes' level and overall standing,  he saw some pathetic looking hero with the simple name "Warp".  Intrigued, he landed and got closer to the haples hero.
    "Hello, my name is Paragon Comptroller, a natural controller."  Paragon Comptroller introduced himself.
    "Nice to know, I'm Warp."  Warp said wanting to be left alone.
    "I've noticed that you seem lost, can I help you?"  Paragon Comptroller asked.
    "Thanks, but I'm not lost."  Warp said sharply.
    "What's the trouble, friend?"  Paragon Comptroller asked.
    "Look, I've had a rough day.  I don't want to talk about it.  It's this stupid city.  This guy sends you there, that guy sends you here, and for what?  Nothing."  Warp complained.
    "Yes, the contacts aren't always the most helpful."  Paragon Comptroller empathized.
    "And that's not the worst part.  You know what the worst part is?  I'll tell you what the worst part is."  Warp was in full-blown rant mode.
    "So, what's the worst part?"  Paragon Comptroller asked.
    "They kick you in the gut.  They say go here, but when you find the place, they say, you don't have clearance.  I just need to get a few battles under my belt, a few good missions, you know, 'Warp, saves the day' kind of stuff."  Warp ranted.
    "I hear you, once you get a few good missions completed, they tend to respect you more."  Paragon Comptroller played along.
    "The way it's going right now, I'll be lucky if they don't send me back to jail, I mean."  Warp blurted out that about jail.  He had tried to keep that a secret, but something about this Paragon guy just made him spill his guts.  He thought, maybe it doesn't matter anyway.  He can't get any more missions until he talks to Wincott.  And he can't talk to Wincott until he goes into the Hollows.  And he can't go into the Hollows until he completes some missions and gets a higher clearance.
    "Oh, you're on parole.  That really is a good program.  I'll tell you what.  I think I might be able to help you."  Paragon Comptroller said.
    "Look, mister, I don't want charity."  Warp said not knowing what to make of this unique kindness that has been lacking in this jungle of a city.
    "First things first.  Go to Ms. Liberty standing in front of the Atlas statue and train up.  As you train, your clearance goes up."  Paragon Comptroller informed.
    "Is she the one in that short skirt.  I've wanted to talk to her, but there is always a crowd."  Warp admitted.
    "No, no, no, she is Statesman's granddaughter.  You don't want Statesman as a father-in-law."  Paragon Comptroller interjected.
    "phew, thanks for the heads-up.  I don't need that kind of heat right now."  Warp said with a sigh.
    "Go to her, get trained, and come back here."  Paragon Comptroller ordered.
    "Well, what do I got to lose.  By the way, do you have anything for a splitting headache."  Warp asked.
    "Sure."  Paragon Comptroller said as he gave him a green pill.
Warp took the pill, and got to his feet and jogged away.
I don't know when City of Heroes will return, or do I?

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 06:49:10 AM »
“Warp, you’re doing well.”  Ms. Liberty intoned as Warp got her attention.
“Hello, Ms. Liberty.  I’m here to level up.”  Warp said hopeful.
“Well let’s see.  Sorry Warp, you don’t have enough experience to level up.”  Ms. Liberty said in her always cheerful voice.
“Thanks, anyway.”  Warp replied as he turned and walked away.  “Does everybody in this stupid city think that it’s funny to send new heroes on fool’s errands?”  Warp wondered to his self.  His headache was gone, but so was his community-service time for the day.  He would need to get back home, change, and head to night school.  He started walking towards his home feeling dejected, when he walked right into a group of Vahzilok.  The Vahzilok are a group of villains who collect dead bodies and go all Frankenstein on them.  No one is really sure about how they get the corpses.  They attacked Warp.  Warp defended himself, but it wasn’t going his way.  He managed to drop one of the group of three, but his health points were less than half.  “If I’m going to die, I’m taking another one down first.”  He thought.  With his endurance nearly gone and only one health point left, the second Vahzilok fell to his knees and then to his face.  All at once, he was lifted up and in a white glow all his health and endurance returned.  He made quick work of the last Vahzilok, losing half his health points.  He turned around and went right back to Ms. Liberty.
“Warp, you’re doing well.”  Ms. Liberty intoned as Warp got her attention as if they hadn’t just see each other.  Ms. Liberty and the other trainers thought that it was kind of funny to treat the supers as long lost friends they gadn’t seen in years, every time they came to train.  The joke wears thin on Warp.
“Ms. Liberty, I’m here to level up.”  Warp responded.
“Well let’s see.  You are ready to train to level 5.  Do you want to train?”  Ms. Liberty asked.
“Yes.”  Warp said wanting to chew her out for asking such a stupid question, but knowing better.  In Paragon City, the supers have to treat the trainers with respect or else.  He knew what the or else was, but he was determined to stay out of prison.
“You now have security level 5 and combat level 5; you can now hold two more enhancements.”  Ms. Liberty informed.
“Wait, what?  I want to learn another power.”  Warp replied in shock.
“Next level you may select another power; and the pool powers will be unlocked.”  Ms. Liberty informed.
“Great.”  Warp said.  It was always next level was the cool level.  It kind of diminished the fact that he just went up in level.  Next level is weeks away.  “I hate this stupid city.”  Warp thought out loud.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 02:51:50 AM »
Fed up for the day, and feeling lousy, Warp went home and got ready for night school.  He travelled to Steel Canyon North and carefully made his way to the university there.  “You would think that the university would be better guarded.  That there would be a clear path from the train station to the university.  Not in this city.”  Warp thought to his self.
“Who can tell me the difference between hyperthermia and hypothermia?  Terrance, why don’t you inform the class?”  Prof. Cooper asked as Warp found his seat and was arranging his books and such.
“Yes, professor.”  Warp said as he stood up to answer the question.
“We’re waiting for your enlightenment, Terrance.”  Prof. Cooper urged.
“Would you mind repeating the question?”  Warp asked.
“Yes, I would.  Sit down.  Jennifer, perhaps you can help Terrance.”  Prof. Cooper replied.
Jennifer Moorley, the class brain was going to show-up Warp again.  He didn’t care.  He was just thankful there wasn’t a test today.  Professor Cooper is known by the student body as being obnoxious.  There were two types of students in his class, brainiacs like Jennifer with something to prove by taking the toughest prof. on campus, and those like Warp who didn’t know about him or were too late on enrollment day to take the other guy.  Warp had been too late.  He had been working out the terms of his community service.  “You go girl”  Warp thought as Jennifer explained the differences between hyperthermia and hypothermia at length, showing up everybody in the known universe.  Professors bully, brainiacs show-off, as long as he can bring up his D- to a respectable C- he would be happy.  “Am I forgetting something?”  Warp thought.  A nagging feeling that there was something important that he was supposed to be doing right now, kept haunting him.  It wasn’t go to the Hollows, that can wait.  It wasn’t get trained, he did that.  It wasn’t buying enhancements; he hasn’t any money for that.  Food sounds so good right now.  A cheeseburger from Bob’s Burgers would go so far to help him about now.
Thankfully class ended, Warp went home and fell into bed without undressing.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:35 AM »
A new day dawned.  Terry was well rested, and ready for anything, just as soon as he had some breakfast.  The communal home where he stayed didn’t provide food.  It provided a room, bed and dresser.  The bath was down the hall and was usually filthy.  Not bad for the low rent that they allowed him to forbear.  He didn’t want to think how far in arrears he was.  Downstairs, there was a front room with a couch and a TV on one side and a ping-pong table on the other.  Through a doorway was a combination kitchen area and breakfast table.  Warp opened the fridge and saw a half-empty carton of soured milk and a white cardboard box of wine.  Yes, the wine is Merlot.  Warp wasn’t a wine expert, but he knew that Merlot don’t go in the fridge.  “The only way to eat is to work.”  Warp thought as he checked the communal PC.  He checked his favorite website for bail-jumpers and other bounties.  “Bingo.”  Warp said out loud as he saw a good prospect.
“Whacha do-wing?”  Samantha asked.  Samantha is the 6 year old daughter of the landlady.  Samantha is cute with long brown hair, soft complextion and big beautiful green eyes.  She has a crush of Terry, and some day hopes to marry him.  Warp thinks of her as his little sister.
“Oh, now, you run along little sis, Warp has work to do.”  Warp said feeling his hunger.
“Mom said, we were going out for breakfast.  I’m getting a MacGirdle.”  Samantha said.
“That’s nice, what?  Aren’t you too young for a girdle?”  Warp wasn't paying attention.
“No silly, a MACgirdle.”  Samantha said.
“You mean a MacGriddle.”  Warp said.
“That’s what I said, MacGirdle.”  Samantha defended.
“Ok, ok, have fun.”  Warp replied.
“Mom, says that you can come with us, and sit by me in the car.”  Samantha said.
“Well, ok.”  Warp said being too hungry to think straight.
“Mom, can Terry come with us, he said he wants to.”  Samantha shouted into the next room.
“Terry, how nice.  You always seem so busy with work and school and community service; honestly, I don’t know how you do it.”  Maria said as she walked into the room ready to go driving.
“Thank you, Mrs. Watson.  I think Samantha invited me, I don’t want to intrude.”  Warp said.
“Non-sense, come with us, I'll buy you a nice breakfast, well, as nice as Mickey-D’s makes.”  Maria said.
Maria is about 10 years older than Terry.  Her husband was a superhero turned villain.  He left her and baby Samantha behind for greater glory.  Maria had two other boarders who paid rent regularly.  She also works part-time at the hospital as a nurse-aide.  She’s trying to save up for Samantha’s college education.  Maria managed to keep herself looking very nice despite her meager circumstances.
They piled into the car, Samantha in the back in a car seat playing with minion puppets.  Terry had shotgun while Maria drove.  Terry couldn’t help his curiosity.  He began asking about East Gate Park.  Maria kept trying to change the subject, Warp didn’t pick up on her subtle hints, and kept asking about it.
“Ok, East Gate Park has special memories for me.”  Maria began.
“Really?”  Warp asked.
“I met my ex there.  It was a lovely June afternoon.  We used to go to the Red River and watch the sail boat races.  I saw some woman getting her purse stolen, but before I could yell for help, he landed from out of the sky.  His wavy blonde hair and light blue jump suit with dark purple trunks.  His chest was a mile wide, and his broad shoulders cried out for someone to lay her head on them.”  Maria sighed.
“He sounds like quite a guy then what happened.”  Warp replied.
“He punched the purse snatcher so hard that he went flying backwards and landed in the river.  The whole time, there was a pearly white smile on his face.  He was the dream of every woman on the beach, and I got him.  We were married a year later.  I had Samantha about a year after that.  Everything was perfect, or so I thought.”  Maria continued.
“That’s what I want to do, help people, you know.”  Warp said getting excited.
“I know, you are a lot like him.  Curse those trolls!”  Maria shouted.
“What?”  Warp said.
“Mommy, whad’s go-wing on.”  Samantha asked.
“It’s ok, sweetie.  Mommy is talking to Terry.”  Maria replied.
Samantha went back to playing with her toys.
“The trolls blew-up East Gate Park; they call it The Hollows now.  I call it trouble.  You see, my ex got caught in that explosion.”  Maria started to cry.
“You stop make my Mommy cry!”  Samantha threatened.
“Sorry, honey.  Mommy was just thinking of something sad.”  Maria said.
“Look, if this is too painful, I don’t really need to know.”  Terry said, but Warp really wanted to hear the rest of the story.
“I’m ok now; the explosion disfigured my husband’s face.  His once handsome features were all twisted and scarred.  He broke every mirror in the house.  He became insane and is now The Silver Mask, a very powerful evil villain.”  Maria explained.
“Thank you for sharing that story.  I have an assignment in the Hollows.”  Warp began.
“Don’t go!”  Maria interrupted.
“What, I have to.”  Warp started.
“I’m sorry, go.  I was thinking of him.”  Maria said.
“Look, I won’t go if it upsets you.  I understand.”  Warp replied.
“Don’t be silly, The Hollows needs you.  We’re here.”  Maria said as she pulled into a parking stall.  She had several rules, one of them was no eating in the car.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:10:24 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 06:40:44 AM »
Warp thanked Mrs. Watson again for breakfast as he climbed out of her car.
“We’ll have to do it again sometime.”  Mrs. Watson shouted as she drove away.
Warp thought that the next time he would buy and it won’t be breakfast, it would be dinner.

Mrs. Watson had dropped Warp off in front of the East Gate Park entrance as he requested.  He walked over to the guard at the gate and showed him his new identification with the freshly stamped numeral “5” on it.  They waved him through.

The famed Hollows immediately grabbed his attention.  Everything about it was different from The Row and especially ole AP with its shiny buildings.  This was a warzone.  There were sandbags piled as a makeshift wall.  There were guard towers and barbed wire.  There were police in riot gear firing shotguns at the approaching trolls, outcasts and a few others that he didn’t recognize.  There were police cars and S.W.A.T. vans parked in the area.  He could see an emergency first aid station.  Beyond the police presence, he saw what looked like the remains of an apartment house.  And beyond that, green hills populated by the shot-gunners’ targets.  Strangely, to either side, were apartment buildings, occupied apartment buildings.  Why would anyone choose to live here?  Warp decided that before taking on whatever Wincott might make him do; he would go after his bounty.

Samuel the Troll with the aliases of Sammy the Troll, Mr. S. Trollman and of course Troll Sam is the name of his bounty, a bail jumped wanted in Kings for robbery, and escaped to the Hollows.  Warp didn’t know the Hollows very well, but he knew bail jumpers very well.  Although every case is different, bail jumpers are mostly all alike.  Sammy most likely is being protected by his buddies somewhere in this “park”.  Warp snuck around the back of a building and came out in a parking lot just south of the police stronghold.  He planned to sneak into the hills where he had seen Trolls hanging out.  Instead, he walked right into a group of Outcasts.

Warp had been surprised to see them here, but they were surprised to see him.  He used his super powers, now with two more, empty enhancement slots, to battle off the Outcasts.  Due to his quick reflexes and the extra green pill that weird guy gave him, he managed to polish off all five of them.  Stopping to rest and scan the hills to the East, Warp spies Mr. S. Trollman.  “Bingo.”  Warp says softly out loud.

It was a sight to see; Warp charged the ruins and leaped over the walls.  He was in the “Cherry Hills”.  Warp wondered for a split second why they called it “Cherry Hills” when there aren’t any cherry trees.  He then figured that he really didn’t care.  Using his powers, he got the attention of one of the trolls around Sammy.  After a short battle, that troll was down.  He repeated that four more times, clearing the path to his bounty.  Warp charged in, after a brief rest, and capture Troll Sam.  Fortunately, he could drop his prisoner at the police stronghold.  He wouldn’t have to drag him all the way back to The Row.

He had no trouble returning to the police area.  He turned Sammy over, and received his reward.  It was a good day.

Warp walked over to Wincott and asked for a mission.  After Wincott explained about his son, he gave Warp a street sweep mission to arrest 5 Outcasts and 5 Trolls.  Warp fell over laughing.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:14:57 AM »
Warp really started to hate the Hollows.  The story of Officer Wincott’s lost son did inspire Warp to keep at it, but running around the Hollows can be hazardous to your health.  He managed to do several missions for Wincott, including rescuing a group of police from the Helions.  Warp had a fairly good working relationship with the good officer.  Wincott would assign him a mission on the other side of whole neighbors filled with higher level, meaner outcasts and trolls.  Warp would find a way to get to the door without alerting half the map.  Warp would then spend several hours trudging through the warehouse or office building taking the enemy down one at a time, it’s safer that way.  After the mission is over, Warp would then make his way back to Wincott.  After Wincott trusted Warp enough, he gave him his cell number.  That really came in handy a few times, when the next mission was close by.

Something is different, something has changed.  Wincott told Warp to go meet a new contact.  Warp liked getting new contacts; it usually meant another source of missions.  This time, it felt different.  Officer Wincott sent Warp to meet an Outcast.  “I’ve been beating the stuffing out of Outcasts all day, and now I’m suppose to meet one?”  Warp thought to his self.  He was confused, but he trusted Wincott enough to go see for his self.

It was strange, all his other contacts stood out on the side of the street, like they were actually watching the neighborhood.  Flux was different.  He was very different indeed.  Warp went around the building twice before he figured out that Flux must be inside somehow.  Warp went around the fence and past the corner of the building.  There was a strange area like an alcove on the outside of the building, like it was made for someone to stand there out of sight.  Flux explained that he was an informant for the police and that he would be helping Warp with something big.  Warp liked the sound of that, until Flux told him to go defeat 5 Trolls.  “Great just what I needed, more street sweeping.  Hey, wait a minute.  Aren’t the Trolls and Outcasts fighting?  Flux just wants me to help the Outcasts.”  Warp thought to his self.  Well the only good Troll is an arrested Troll.  So warp decided to play along and see what develops.

Warp was surprised.  As he was fighting Trolls, he saw a statue of a cheerleader.  He could have sworn that it wasn’t there before.  He went back to Flux who started to make more sense.  Having him attack the Trolls was a ruse for him to attack the Outcasts.  This was no ordinary street sweep.  Flux knows that there is an Outcast called “Frostfire”.  Warp felt anxious at the name “Frostfire”.  Up until now, none of his enemies had cool sounding names.  They were ordinary thug type names without imagination or style.  “Frostfire” seemed to denote a certain distinction, class even.  Any thug who called himself “Frostfire” must be bad news.  Warp decided that perhaps he might need help on this one.

Warp got the location from one of the Outcasts he sent to the Zig.  After returning to Flux, he was ready to go to “Frostfire”.  Only he wasn’t ready yet.  First, he went to the trainer who taught him how to run really, really fast.  It was so easy he thought, he wondered why he never tried it before.  The next thing was that creepy statue.  It moved to a different spot.  “Why do they have a statue of a cheerleader, that doesn’t make sense?  And why do they keep moving it?”  Warp pondered these questions as he made his way to class.  Poetry class was tonight, he needed a humanities and somebody told him that it was a skate class.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 04:00:03 AM »
Five pages comparing and contrasting Blake and Browning?  Warp hung his head as he walked back to his boarding room.  “When am I going to find the time to write such a useless essay?”  Warp questioned his self.  He made his way to the train, and shown the conductor his hero ID.  He had found out that registered heroes can ride the train for free.  This is welcome news.  His budget grew to the point where coffee was no longer considered a luxury.  As he sat back in his seat, he thought about his writing assignment.  “Who the frack is Blake?  And what the heck is a Browning?”  He thought out loud.  This writing assignment was going to be tougher than he thought.

“Excuse me, Terrance, right?”  She asked.
“Yes.”  Warp was shocked from his thoughts.
“Hi, I’m in your Poetry class, just transferred from Texas.”  She continued.
“Yes, I’ve seen you somewhere before.”  Warp said knowing that he had seen this perky girl before.  Her big bright, blue eyes stared into his soul.  Her other assets weren’t bad either.  She was about his age, sun tanned with blonde hair.  The bangs in front and the ponytail in back made her look so innocent.
“Yes, silly.  I just told you.  We’re in the same class, hello.”  She replied not in a ‘you dummy way’, but in a playful way.
“Oh right, hi my name is War, call me Terry.”  He said deciding to not give her his secret superhero identity.
“Well, WarTerry, I overheard you struggling with the assignment.  Maybe we could work together on it.”  She suggested.
“That would be good, do you want to compare or contrast?”  Warp asked playfully.
“He-he, no silly.  You read Blake, I’ll read Browning and we can compare and contrast our notes.”  She offered.
“Ok, but I want Browning.”  Warp said in jest.
“I don’t care which ever.”  She agreed.

The train passed Warp’s stop, but he didn’t care, he had found a new friend.  The train also passed by her stop, but she didn’t care either.  She had made a friend in this cold wasteland.  Eventually they both got off the train and went out for coffee.  Several times warp wanted to blurt out that he was a superhero, but he remembered what the Prince had said about keeping your secret identity a secret.  After all, if you don’t keep it a secret then it is no longer a secret identity.  They stayed up half the night talking and joking with each other,  Warp was too busy trying to keep his secret that he didn’t notice that she was also keeping a secret.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:59:43 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 07:15:34 AM »
Warp took a power nap in the Vanguard building in Atlas Park.  He wasn’t too sure what the building was or what it was used for, but it was usually peaceful enough to catch 40 z’s.  He woke a couple hours later; he has gone without a full 8 hours before.  As he gathered his stuff and his thoughts he knew.  It’s time to take down Frostfire.

His mind raced back to that day he couldn’t even find the Hollows.  Now, he was going after one of its toughest inhabitants.  He decided to get a team together.  Warp didn’t know any of the other heroes, but he decided to try to pick up a group.  The call went out, this was the first time he used the general request line.  The response was overwhelming.  The first one to answer was a female tank dressed as a cheerleader.  He had seen her someplace before, maybe it was just the lack of sleep playing tricks on him.  Next was an eagar alien dude.  He said that he was a peacebringer.  Warp asked if he was melee or ranged.  The dude answered, “Both.”  Warp nearly kicked him right then, but another player spoke up and said, “And he’s pretty good at both.”  Warp figured that there is a lot he didn’t know yet.

The player who spoke up was a defender.  Warp really liked the name ‘Defender’.  Warp hoped to be a defender someday, until he found out that defenders are support mostly.  The deal breaker was that they are ranged.  A guy can get killed taking pop shots at a bunch of bad guys.  There was a 4 foot tall cat creature walking around like a human going by Kitten-Man.  Warp sent the invite without considering what a Kitten-Man might be like.  Kitten-Man has long claws and a pet German Sheppard.  “This has to be a joke.”  Warp thought to his self.  And then there was Flour Night.  Warp suspected that all the good hero names had been taken.  He then remembered his orientation day.  He had to run missions for a group of cops in a place called Outbreak.  He remembered that the last thing he did that day was to rescue some hero.  What was her name?  Yes, it was Flower Knight.  Sleep deprived Warp wasn’t the sharpest light on the Christmas light strung, but he got it.  Flour Night is a blaster.

Warp decided that 6 members would be enough.  He asked if anyone knows anything useful about Frostfire.  “Frostfire has pet icemonsters and pet fire imps.”  The Doctor said.  “Listen to doc, he knows more than any of us.”  Dude said.  The Doctor was the defender who had spoken up for the peacebringer, and now the peacebringer is returning the favor.  Kitten-Man said that The Doctor has helped many other heroes get to high rank.  Warp replied, “Well I know one thing.  I don’t know everything.”

As they were walking towards the mission door, one of the rocks that Cheerleader stepped on came to life.  And it woke up grumpy.  The team attacked.  Kitten-Man clawed his way through the lower levels.  Dude truned into a huge stone monster and taunted the rock creatures to attack him.  Cheerleader also turned into stone  and was keeping the rock creatures focused on her.  Warp was using his gravity powers to lift and smash the creatures.  Flour Night shoot arrows at the rock creatures and The Doctor healed Warp several times and buffed both Dude and Cheerleader.  Kitten-Man had kind of wandered off on his own exploring.  After the battle was won, Warp noticed a book on the ground.  He picked it up and begun reading it aloud.

“Diary of a Teen Age Stoned Cheerleader:
It all started out so innocently. A little kiss on the bench in the boys’ locker room with the star quarterback during practice.
Next thing I knew I was on the floor on top of his lap. A loud ‘snap’ and his legs were broken. His career shattered. My stony butt was to blame.  Don’t worry about him, Hero Corps agreed to “make it right”, their words.  My stony butt didn’t get off so easily.  Being from Texas football is God's game and I had desecrated it.  How was I to know I was a mutant?  Hero Corps put me on a train banned forever to Paragon City, the City of blah blah blah!

“Why did I have to get sent to the polar regions of hell...Rhode Island? My butt is feeling better since I put on a trench coat, that draft earlier up my skirt told me I had left home and entered Iceland.  I noticed it doesn't stop guys from slapping my butt as they went by, but I feel it less.  Hero Corps did keep me out of jail, but now I have to work for them.

“Yay, we are finally entering the city. Time for me to put on my Rah! Rah! Rah! face. Skirt flushed...check...lips pouty...check...ponytail swishy...check...assets forward...double check...eyes bright and blue...as if anyone actually looks up to my eyes??? O-M-G...I wonder if anyone realizes just how hard it is to look this good...smirk...attitude in place...check!
Ready to rock R.I., wahoo!!!

“Leaving the subway and reaching street level to make my way to Aunt Bessie's.  I am surprised to see only one person on the street.  A police officer, this can't be good. I make my way over and lean over the clipboard he is writing on and peer at his badge.

“Hi! Officer Flint. What's going on?”  I say being friendly like.  You would be surprised how far I’ve gotten by being friendly.  He looks up from his clipboard and say's, "We have an outbreak! If you’re a superhero I can use your help. If not you will have to leave at once".   “How rude” I thought, luckily I got my hero ID this morning. "Okay, what can i do?"

“(Yay, Mission Numero Uno).
Take this sample to Dr. Miller down the street. My first mission as a real superhero, and no bad guys had better try to steal this sample.  As I walk down the street, checking addresses, I see that my aunt's house must be further down the street. Looking at the buildings here I’m thinking Bessie must have been a poor heroine, this part of town needs an overhaul, it’s dark, dingy and depressing, but that’s okay I’m here to perk things up!

“Notation: Aunt Bessie is not really my aunt but a mutant cow from our farm just outside Athens, Texas.  She became intelligent, somehow.  One day she started to speak and walk upright.  After her first birthday, daddy gave her a name and we adopted her.  Now that she had a name, we couldn’t kill her, obviously, duhhh. Her call sign is ‘MamiMooMoo’, she is listed as a Cold Defender (former alias Frosty Knickers).”

Warp stopped to think about what he just read.
“Give it back!”  Cheerleader demanded.  Dude held her back so that Warp could finish reading the interesting story.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 03:34:15 AM by Paragon Avenger »

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 04:22:47 AM »
Warp continued reading from the book he noticed after their fight with the rock creatures:

"Ok now back to my day...
After a few minutes of walking and a stick of gum later I saw Dr. Miller.  He took the sample and gave me instructions about how the hospital system works. This took several minutes, but I still have no idea where this hospital is or what a transdim-transpo-insta-gizmo thing is.

"Then he sends me back to Officer Flint and yes this meant, grrr, retracing my steps---more walking.  Why can’t we have smart-phones or cell phones or push-to-talk or walkie-talkie thingies?  When I get back to the officer, he is talking into a radio and oh-boy is he ever agitated. No other heroes in the area. Lots of vandals loose. Call for backup!  Officer Flint sends me waayyy the heck down the street. Don’t I get to drive the Bat Mobile?  Can I have a bicycle at least?  After foot-pounding more walking for what seems like two miles. Wahoo! My aunt lives in the two story complex across the street from a theater.  I hope she can get me free passes. I pop another stick of gum. Standing in front of the building is the cop I came to see, Officer Parks.

"Hello, I’m here to help.  What do we got?" I say pouring on the charm.
"Good timing", he answers back. “Before we have you help you should talk to Dr. Hoffman over there in the middle of the parking lot.”  He continued.

"So I sashayed over to the Doc.  He talks my ear off about aura colors.  After his briefing, (why is it called a briefing?  They are never short.), anyways Doc tells me all about colors and how to see them and how to tell how tough an enemy will be. I still dont know why I can see aura's, or what the colors mean, but I did remember, white is good, grey is boring and purple is run away! 

"Now Doc sends me to Lt. MacReady.  MacReady has me pound on his robots to toughen me up or see how my powers should work. Not much to learn here. My skin hardens, my fists absorb stones from the ground and becomes covered. I hit the robots a few times and head back to Officer Parks. It’s a good thing that these three are right close to each other.  I was beginning to wonder if being a superhero means that you must walk hundreds of miles everyday."

"I warning you, give it back.  Come on, fellas."  Cheerleader pleaded.  She felt like her inner most thoughts were being parading and mocked in front of the team.  Warp was too interested in the story to even remember that when Cheerleader turned into stone,she looked a lot like that cheerleader statue he had seen earlier.
"Hold still, I think Warp is coming to another good part."  Dude said holding the struggling Cheerleader.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 04:49:40 AM »
“Indeed I am.”  Warp responded to Dude’s remark about coming to another interesting part of Cheerleader’s diary.  Warp began reading out loud.

“Time for Mission Numbah Toooo!
Behind and around the theater is a cordoned off area where everyone infected is wandering around breaking things. My job is to take them down and arrest them.  This is why I was brought here.  No more silly missions doing errands for policemen, or beating up defenseless robots.  I’m here to take names and arrest the crooks.

“I smell smoke and from what I can see this place looks like a warzone. I hear some other officers whispering so I walk over and ask them what’s up. They tell me that there is a special badge awarded to anyone who can take down 100 contaminated.  Wahoo!!! A shiny badge!  I want a SHINY!!!

“Of course once I got in the area I realized 100 is an awfully big number. A few hours and 90 victims later, I sit back with the officers at the gate exhausted (for the 4th time).  I down a nice cold Pep-Me-Up cola.  Somebody tells me that if I could have found other heroes to team with the point counts are accumulative.  With 8 heroes taking an average 12-13 each and I would have been done in...no time,  if there were others here, if they knew about the badge, if they wanted the badge then this could have taken under 15 minutes, (I roll my eyes).

“It's time to go back to work. I run between buildings to a huge wide open area filled with Contaminated and burning boxes.  I notice right away something is wrong.  I smelled cooked beef?  They were cooking Aunt Bessie!!!!  Holy Heifer Statesman!!  I may never eat beef again!”

“They cooked your Aunt?”  Kitten-Man asked.
“Yeah, stupid, try to keep up.”  Dude replied.
“Hey, I just asked a question.”  Kitten-Man said defensively.
“Look, we don’t have to comment about everything in the story.”  Warp said.  He could see that Cheerleader was getting sore at his reading her diary, but he couldn’t stop now.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 02:50:23 AM »
Just then Cheerleader turned into her stone self and stomped hard on Dude’s foot.  He let out a yelp and grabbed his foot and started hoping around.  Cheerleader then took a step towards Warp so as to recover her diary from the wrong hands.  Flour Night fired a glue arrow at her that stopped her in her tracks.  Dude regained his composure and restrained Cheerleader again so that Warp could finish reading her diary.  Doc healed Dude’s foot.

“Naughty, naughty, Cheerleader.  You mustn’t injure your teammates.”  Kitten-Man said.  Kitten-Man’s pet German Sheppard barked agreement.  Cheerleader turned back into a non-stone being.

“You guys play too rough.”  Cheerleader pouted.

“Let’s see, where was I?”  Warp asked out loud to his self.

“You were about to get to a good part.”  Doc said.

“This is wrong.”  Warp suddenly exclaimed.

“What’s wrong?”  Kitten-Man asked.

“Here you go, Cheerleader, here’s your diary back.”  Warp said handing the diary back to Cheerleader.

“Ah man, you suck.”  Dude blurted out.

“What did you say?”  Warp asked giving Dude a chance to take it back.

“Sorry, sorry.  I wanted to hear the rest.  I got carried away.”  Dude back-tracked.

“Ok, if anybody doesn’t like me, quit the team now.”  Warp offered.

“Warp, why did you give me back my diary?”  Cheerleader asked.

“I finally realized that we were violating your privacy.  Sorry about that.”  Warp answered.

“In that case, I’m staying.”  Cheerleader replied.

Nobody quit the team and they continued on their way to the mission door.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 04:39:04 AM »
"Warp, maybe, if you want, I mean, I could read the rest of my diary to you."  Cheerleader said batting her eyes.  Even though Warp had made her made, there was something about him that reminded her of Terrance, a boy in her night school.  She really wanted to get to know Terrance.

"Cheerleader, it does sound interesting, but I don't know."  Warp replied.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 04:23:16 AM »
"Dude, I think she likes you."  Dude whispered to Warp.

Warp thought about Cheerleader.  Sure she was cute and had some fine points in her favour, but with school, bounty hunting and community service where would be the time for a girlfriend?  Warp thought about it some more and realized that he would simply make the time.

The group reached the mission door without stepping on any more "rocks".  They also managed to avoid trolls and outcasts and lost and such.

"Beyond this door lies the baddest outcast in the city.  No doubt he will have guards waiting for us."  Warp inspired his team.

"Yup, and we must defeat them to get the key to the area where Frostfire hangs out."  Doctor offered.

This was going to be one dog of a mission.  Collectively their hearts pounded as one by one they opened the door.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 02:19:28 AM »
It looked like so many other buildings in this city.  It had huge rooms with stairs leading up to elevated walkways circling the room.  There are hallways leading from the huge room.  What warp and the others have come to expect are the broken plaster walls, the dingy posters and bulletin boards, the dead trees as “art” and the strange elevator lobby.  There is no way that people could have actually worked here, and it certainly wasn’t an apartment house.  Warp didn’t care about the curious architecture.  He and the others were busy battling Outcasts.  The battles seemed easier than normal until one of them showed up.  Dude would panic and yell “Void!”  Warp didn’t know anything about the Void Stalkers or the Void Hunters.  That steep learning curve came around more than once to kick them in the butt.

Warp realized that Dude really was a valuable asset to the team.  He seemed knowledgeable about the game, and had some tremendous power.  And then a void would show up and cause a team wipe.

“Listen, I have a plan.”  Warp informed the group.  “Before charging in, everybody check for voids.”

“Thank you!”  Dude replied.

As they were walking, Kitten Man asked, “Yo Doc, what’s the story on that altar thing?”

“Everybody wait!”  The Doctor shouted.

“Why?  What’s up?”  Cheerleader inquired.

“That altar will explode and kill whoever is too close, except for Dude.”  The Doctor explained.

“Oh right, I remember this.  I should hover over it.”  Dude remarked.

Everybody else used ranged powers to keep way back of it.  When it exploded, it caused Flour Night to be thrown backwards along with Cheerleader.  Dude gained some temporary power. 

“Man, are there any more surprises like that?”  Kitten Man asked.

“We haven’t seen the half of it yet.”  The Doctor exclaimed.

“Hey, Cheerleader, got a sec.”  Warp asked.

“Yeah, I guess.”  Cheerleader answered.

“Let dude tank the next one, I want to talk strategy.”  Warp started.

“Ok, what do you have in mind?”  Cheerleader asked with sweet wide eyes that temporarily made Warp forget what he was going to say.

“Yeah, don’t take this the wrong way, but I was wondering why you don’t herd more.”  Warp asked.

“Oh, I figure that I have their attention, unless there is another mob nearby, might as well drop them where I found them.”  Cheerleader said slipping into her Texas drawl.  Most of the time she tried to not sound like an oil-baron on vacation, but sometimes she couldn’t help it.  She always thought that it was her one weakness; the voice of a hick from the sticks.  Warp didn’t say so, but he liked it.  It had an old-west quality to it that reminded him of the romantic parts of his bounty hunting.

“Void!”  Yelled Dude.

They sprung into action, and this time they fought as a team.  Cheerleader got the voids agro.  Everybody else focused on the mob surrounding the void.  By the time the rest of the team had cleared the mob, Cheerleader had nearly defeated the void.  Flour Night finished the job, and the team had gotten over the steep learning curve.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 03:40:10 AM »
They made their way through the building.  Methodically defeating each and every mob.  They reached a huge room where the stairs were covered in ice and snow.
"I've got a bad feeling about this."  Warp commented.
"Sonwball fight!"  Cheerleader called out.
The group played in the snow.  They ran up the stair cases and slid down them.  They made snowballs and threw them at each other.  They laughed and shouted and played for several minutes.  A few minutes too long.
"VOID!"  Shouted Dude, but it was too late.
Warp, dropped his snowball and started attacking the outcasts, only to be hit in the head by a snowball.
"Ha ha, I got you good."  Cheerleader said just before the outcasts ganged up on her.
Kitten Man and Flower Night were still building a snowman in the corner when they were hit.
The Doctor noticed what was going on and run for the elevator.  He knew that the team was doomed and he could teleport them to safty if he could get to safty himself.

The Doctor made it to the elevator and began teleporting the team.
"Stupid, stupid, stupid!"  Warp said as he rezzed.
"Ahhhh, Doc, you knew how to treat a lady."  Flower Night said upon being rezzed by The Doctor.
"I thought you were watching."  Cheerleader said as she rezzed herself.
"Sorry, I got carried away, I was building a snowman."  Kitten Man said popping a wakie.
"Let's just wait here until The Doctor can rez Dude."  Warp ordered.

A strange silence fell on the team as the seconds ticked by.  Each member blamed somebody.  Dude blamed everybody else.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 02:11:49 AM »
“We know, but constantly harping about it isn’t going to fix it.”  Kitten Man defended.  The team had been arguing about their last defeat for several minutes.  They all knew what they had done wrong, but it sometimes feels good to let somebody know that you know that they screwed-up royally.

“The Kitten guy is right.  Look I know I messed-up, let’s not re-live it.”  Flour Knight rejoined.

“Fine.  Just make sure you people know what to do.”  Dude responded.

“Listen, I’m the team leader, therefore the blame is mine.  So this is what we will do.  Kitten Man, you scope out the room and find the void.  Cheerleader, you keep the void occupied while Flour and I take-down those around the void.  Doctor, you keep Cheerleader on her feet.”  Warp began taking charge and giving orders.

“Warp, I’m best when I’m off my feet.”  Cheerleader interrupted hoping to pique Warp’s interest.

“Missy, there’s a time and place for everything.  This isn’t it.”  The Doctor said sternly.

“Cheerleader, try to concentrate on the Outcasts.”  Warp scolded.

“Ouch!”  Cheerleader replied.

“I have a question, what do I do after I find the void?”  Kitten Man asked.

“Keep it busy until Cheerleader can get his attention.  After the tank has agro, help us with the mob.  In the event that Kitten Man misses the void, whoever sees it first, shout ‘Void!’”  Warp explained.

“Those Voids are tricky, I might miss one.”  Kitten Man remarked.

“Don’t even joke about that.”  Dude shot back.

“Are Voids the only thing we have to look out for?”  Flour Night asked.

“Let me, no, we still need the keys to the secure area.  We don’t have to worry about FrostFire until we unlock that area and go to the last room.”  The Doctor said.

“Will FrostFire be in a big room or just standing around some corner?”  Warp asked.

“FrostFire will be in a big room, and well guarded.”  The Doctor replied.

“Yikes, sounds rough.”  Cheerleader replied.

“Oh, that’s not the half of it.  He has fire imp pets and living ice pets.”  The Doctor answered.

“Is it too late to beat a hasty empanada?”  Cheerleader asked.

“What does that mean?”  Warp asked.

“Oh, it’s something we say where I’m from; I’m asking if it’s too late to back out of this foolishness?”  Cheerleader explained.

“Oh, that’s funny, but you can’t leave; you’re our tank.”  Flour Night responded.

“All right; let’s go.”  Warp said and turned and went trundling down the hall.  The team followed.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »
As Warp watched her fight the Outcasts, he began to realize his feelings for her.  Sure, she was obnoxious at times, but he really started to get more and more interested in her.
“You know, I think you are a very good fighter.  Maybe we could hang-out after this mission?”  Kitten Man said to Flour Night.
“I would like that.”  Flour Night replied.
What is this, a coup?  Warp wanted Flour Night and that silly Kitten Man fool is horning in.  He came up with a bold plan.  He grabbed Cheerleader and gave her a big kiss.  She was too surprised to resist.  His long wet embrace tingled her in places that she enjoyed being tingled.  His face was sweaty and smudged with dirt from the battle, and for a controller, he had a good strong grip.  She stuck her tongue in his mouth as to say that his advances were not unwelcomed.
“Guys, Void!”  Dude cried trying to fight the Void Stalker.  Warp and Cheerleader just stood there with their lips seemingly locked together.  Warp reached down and gave Cheerleader a squeeze on the butt.  Cheerleader jumped a little and sighed a sweet sigh of surrender.  Kitten Man tried to keep the Void Stalker occupied, but he is no tank.  Dude kissed the ground cursing Warp and Cheerleader.  Flour Night managed to get agro long enough to also faceplant.  The Doctor left for a safe area to rez people.  Kitten Man couldn’t stand against the Void and his buddy Outcasts.  Dude was teleported away.  The Void attacked Warp, but Warp didn’t attack back so the Void left the area.  Flour Night was teleported away next.
“What happened?”  Cheerleader asked stopping the kiss for air.
“I found my true love.”  Warp replied romantically.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 03:25:03 AM »
Warp looked down the hall and saw the outcast guards.
“We are going to have to start working again.”  Warp said to his team.
“Not so fast!  I got killed last time because you were kissing Cheerleader instead of doing your job.”  Dude complained.
“Look, I said that I was sorry about that, getting you killed not the kissing part.”  Warp looked over at Cheerleader who was blushing for the first time since she was a teenager in the boys’ locker room after football practice.
“Yes, Warp, we need everybody to focus on this very dangerous mission.”  The Doctor stated.
“I for one believe that it is only natural to fall in love with those who you fight alongside.”  Kitten Man said.
“Look who’s talking about ‘natural’, you freak.”  Dude replied.
“Dude, calm down and apologize to Kitten man!”  Flour Night ordered.
“Ok, ok, you’re right.  Sorry Kitten Man, I got carried away.”  Dude apologized.
Kitten Man dropped to his knees and started sobbing.
“What’s wrong, KM?”  Warp asked.
“I’m a freak!  Part man, part kitten!”  Kitten Man continued sobbing.
“Nice going Dude.”  The Doctor chimed in.
“KM, we are ALL freaks.  I can control gravity.  Flour Night can use breadsticks to fight crime.  The Doctor can heal you just by looking at you.  And Dude.  He is the biggest freak of us all.  He can turn into a flying alien squid thing or a teleporting giant rock monster.  It’s ok to be a freak in Paragon City.”  Warp explained.
“I just wish I could find others of my kind.”  Kitten Man sobbed trying to stop sobbing and dry his eyes.
“Kitten man, you are one hot looking guy, If Warp hadn’t made his move, I might have.”  Cheerleader interjected.
“So, I should kill Warp?”  Kitten Man replied.
“That is not what she said.”  Warp replied.
“Kill Warp, of course.  It’s all clear to me now.”  Kitten Man said.
“Now wait just one minute.”  Warp fired back.
“Just kidding.  Dude, Flour Night doesn’t think that I’m a freak, so flake-off!”  Kitten Man retorted.
“Now I’m depressed.  I’m a freak, but I don’t have a lover, and to make matters worse, there are Voids hunting me.”  Dude said.
They all laughed.

Paragon Avenger

• Circles and Triangles
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2016, 05:50:22 AM »
After they camped out, taking a break from the Frostfire mission to work out the team dynamic, they were refreshed and ready for anything.