Author Topic: Coming Soon  (Read 209489 times)

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
Re: Coming Soon
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
And now for some more technical questions:

- Will we be able to make and keep friends lists using the in-game menu options? Or will that require something external?

- Similarly - how about creating and joining channels?

- If we add tabs or channels to the chat box, will it remember them the next time we log in?

- Would the in-game search option work on some level? To show you who is on?

- Related to the above - would the "Hide" options work?

- I don't know how XMPP operates - at all - but based on the context of comments above, it seems like people can split off into their own private channels/hosted rooms/servers. Would they show up in a search from the main Titan XMPP server? If they did, would they show up as being on a different "server"? (Like "such and such person's character is on Virtue server and you're currently on Pinnacle from the original live game) Or would they not show up at all?

- Would emotes work with the regular commands?

- Can Masterminds spawn non-combat versions of their pets? And if so - would the mastermind/pet emote options work?

- Come to think of it - would people be able to spawn NPCs and make emote commands work for THEM? (Would be great for people wanting to "tabletop" RP and say - "this is your opponent" etc.)

More to come as I think about it. My mind - she is blown with the possibilities...

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2015, 08:22:43 PM »

Anyway, i'm guessing that the client version that the Titan servers will be using is the i24 beta client, yes?
In-zone travel is a little slow since there's just running at the moment. Movement modes approximating flight and the other travel powers are something we're targeting for the 1.1 update.
Shivering with antici-
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
SAY IT!!

SAY IT!!

Tax E

• Underling
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2015, 08:40:36 PM »
Booyah Baby!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2015, 08:42:42 PM »
- Will we be able to make and keep friends lists using the in-game menu options?

Yes, the global friends list is functional and is mapped to your roster. That means if you connect to your account from a standard XMPP client like Pidgin, all of your friends will show up in your Buddy List, and vice versa.

- Similarly - how about creating and joining channels?

Yes, you can create/join global channels. They are implemented as MUC chatrooms, which can be joined from standard clients as well as in game.

Currently the ability to set channel options like private or moderated does not yet function from in-game. However, you can create a chatroom with those options set from a standard XMPP client and then join it from COH.

If we add tabs or channels to the chat box, will it remember them the next time we log in?

Not yet, but option, UI, and channel saving is something I'm hoping to have working by release. No promises though.

Would the in-game search option work on some level? To show you who is on?

Currently no. A /whoall command to see who is in the current zone is on the to-do list, however XMPP in general doesn't have a way to query everyone on the entire server.

There is one global channel that new characters are joined to by default to act as a gathering point, however it only does this once so you can leave the channel if you don't want to be part of it.

- Related to the above - would the "Hide" options work?

Not really, though since there's no global search you can hide somewhere obscure and only your friends will be able to easily find you. You also have the option to type /xmppdisconnect to wander around an icon-esque empty city.

I don't know how XMPP operates - at all - but based on the context of comments above, it seems like people can split off into their own private channels/hosted rooms/servers. Would they show up in a search from the main Titan XMPP server? If they did, would they show up as being on a different "server"? (Like "such and such person's character is on Virtue server and you're currently on Pinnacle from the original live game) Or would they not show up at all?

The Titan server will have s2s (server-to-server) XMPP communication disabled until we're confident that we have the ability to deal with issues like spam and harassment if they originate from other servers.

Currently the only way to communicate with someone on another server is to know their full JID, which looks like an email address. You can add them to your friends list and they get assigned a shorter 'global handle' that you can refer to them more easily with.

- Would emotes work with the regular commands?

Yes, thanks in no small part to the effort on the Icon forum from back in 2013 where several community members (wyldhunt in particular) helped compile a spreadsheet mapping the common names for emotes to the sequencer state bits that cause the animation.

- Can Masterminds spawn non-combat versions of their pets? And if so - would the mastermind/pet emote options work?

No, that would require AI (even if all it did was follow) and pathfinding, which are probably the two most complex things that the COH server did and the hardest to reproduce.

- Come to think of it - would people be able to spawn NPCs and make emote commands work for THEM? (Would be great for people wanting to "tabletop" RP and say - "this is your opponent" etc.)

Not yet, but there are some plans to do something along those lines in the future.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:54:35 PM by Codewalker »

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2015, 09:08:44 PM »
Yes, the global friends list is functional and is mapped to your roster. That means if you connect to your account from a standard XMPP client like Pidgin, all of your friends will show up in your Buddy List, and vice versa.

WOW...

"Mapped to your roster"

Wait... we can maintain a roster of characters/avatars like on live?

I mean - no powers of course - but "Soon" would remember this roster and we could choose which character to log in with using the normal game interface?

If so - then the global name/character name system in "Soon" would work as before? I mean - for example, I log in with "Cyberman 8" and people see that character with that name above the avatar, but they can also check the global list and see that "@atlantea" is online as "Cyberman 8"?

That's what it sounds like - I'm just trying to be sure, here.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »
This is awesome. Anything we can do to help let us know.

My question would be from here: how open source do you want this to be, eventually? Would you take on volunteers, college programmers looking for experience, etc. Do we want gameplay for this? Can the CoX community roll with 3 projects and ApR? Can your work use APR maps?

Ok, too many questions. Thanks for what you've done and good luck.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #87 on: June 21, 2015, 09:17:33 PM »
I meant XMPP roster, which is basically your server-side contact list that also controls who can see your presence (as online/offline/away, or in this case also what zone and character you're on).

But yes, you can create characters that are persisted so you don't have to recreate them every time. The characters themselves are not saved on the server, but are local to your computer, so you can use them on any server that you connect to,

If so - then the global name/character name system in "Soon" would work as before? I mean - for example, I log in with "Cyberman 8" and people see that character with that name above the avatar, but they can also check the global list and see that "@atlantea" is online as "Cyberman 8"?

Right, it uses the name and appearance of the character you logged in with when you're in zone with somebody, but @atlantea is your account name and is what goes on people's friends list. You can right-click on somebody to get their global and/or add them as a friend.

There's the added wrinkle with this setup that if you're using the Titan server, your full username is actually atlantea@chat.cohtitan.com (which it would be since you have the 'Atlantea' account). Other people logging in to chat.cohtitan.com see you as simply @atlantea. If and when we turn on multi-server federation, people on other servers would see your global as atlantea@cohtitan.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: June 21, 2015, 10:01:30 PM »
This may sound like a silly question, but if I have Icon already installed on my PC, as well as COH Beta... how can I tell if I have the I-23 or I-24 version?  I don't want to download the I-24 version again, if I already have it.

Thanks for any help with this!

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2015, 10:04:34 PM »
This may sound like a silly question, but if I have Icon already installed on my PC, as well as COH Beta... how can I tell if I have the I-23 or I-24 version?  I don't want to download the I-24 version again, if I already have it.

Thanks for any help with this!

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,9675.msg182606.html#msg182606

Was told to me when I asked. Link to a link.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
Eeeeeemmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooootttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss!

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »

Not yet, but there are some plans to do something along those lines in the future.

Yays!

Kestrel just isn't properly Kestrel without her Cardinal floating around. ^_^
It would be lonely to have one of them running around without the other.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2015, 11:06:59 PM »
This is getting quite a bit of attention in the CoH Facebook groups with a whole bunch of fans squealing with glee over the thought of just being able wander the maps while chatting with other players. Although in at least one of them the moderator is claiming in one post that this is a big step forward towards bringing the game back and in another insisting he'd been playing on a private server for about two years with several hundred people until recently getting banned. Now to some people it might seem paradoxical to make both claims at once, but then he's been aggressively deleting any posts that express doubts or raise issues with his claims, so obviously it must be true.

So anyway, there's now hundreds (at least) of people avidly anticipating this. i wouldn't be surprised if news about this project hits MassivelyOP soon if it hasn't already and that number becomes something closer to tens of thousands.

Edited to add: i might be overoptimistic by a factor of ten, but i still think this will garner almost as much attention as the potential deal has.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 11:43:53 PM by Nyx Nought Nothing »

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2015, 11:37:59 PM »
Is this going to allow for NPC mode costumes or will we be limited to player costumes?
green hair

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2015, 12:17:01 AM »
Perhaps we should let Codewalker actually release the software before asking him for the entire implementation specification.  I'm guessing that any feature the client supported directly will be added eventually, its just a question of when.

-Psi-

• Underling
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2015, 12:42:27 AM »
Fantastic.

You guys are crazy-impressive.

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
That flood of questions is why there was an NDA on talking about it until it was ready. Most of the answers would have been impossible to know any earlier than now. We've been biting our collective tongues for a very long time!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2015, 01:03:44 AM »
Well, that and I'm not a fan of posting about far off goals and making huge promises for some big upcoming thing, then it taking a year before it actually shows up and is a disappointment compared to what was promised. So I wanted to make sure it would actually work before we told anyone it was being worked on.

Especially considering the obvious sore spots this community has due to the original closure. There's absolutely nothing to be gained by teasing people about something they can't have unless its availability is imminent.

I know everybody is curious, so I'm going to be posting a FAQ topic in a couple days to cover the ins and outs of what this project can and can't do. Since I have a lot of work to finish getting it ready for release, I'll ask that any questions along those lines be deferred until then, because chances are it will be answered in that post.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2015, 01:22:18 AM »
Perhaps we should let Codewalker actually release the software before asking him for the entire implementation specification.  I'm guessing that any feature the client supported directly will be added eventually, its just a question of when.
There's what should be done and then there's what people actually do. In these sorts of situations they're rarely all that close to each other.

That said i will be waiting and avidly anticipating any info that comes out. Mostly i will be looking forward to eventually being able to fly again, which has already been stated as a release 1.1 goal. The ability to create avatars and chat and emote with other players already covers the majority of what i was hoping for from the project at this point; everything else will be gravy.

Stonehead

• Underling
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2015, 01:38:04 AM »
I know everybody is curious, so I'm going to be posting a FAQ topic in a couple days to cover the ins and outs of what this project can and can't do. Since I have a lot of work to finish getting it ready for release, I'll ask that any questions along those lines be deferred until then, because chances are it will be answered in that post.
Very exciting news this weekend.  Looking forward to learning more.

D